Do Comic Book Lovers Suffer From a Psychosis?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CaptainStoic
I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on The Comic Book Phenomena. Is it an Illness? Has anyone gone through times that they had to read a comic, in order to stop a craving? Are comics addictive? Share your thoughts.

Dark Shazam93
My immediate thought was: "wat's this guy been smoking?"
Why?

CaptainStoic
I haven't been smoking anything. I recently began buying comics again, and the stories are so good that I find myself wanting to get anything that has a good story and artist, I often find myself thinking about when is the next ones coming out. What really has led me to believe that it may be an addiction is how many more titles I have purchased in the last 3 months since renewing my facination with fictional characters. I can't be the onlly one, that this has happened to. I started out reading 5 or 6 titles per month, now I'm up to over 10. I'm starting to feel like a crack head.

Mindship
In the last 5 or 6 years I've gotten back into comics after a long hiatus, though I am very selective with what I buy. Mostly, I like to see what the "competition" is doing as I try to get my own character off the ground (recently, I've had a wee bit of publishing success with a short story). My focus tends to be with JLA (I love the character interaction), DC/Marvel crossovers, and lately Ultimate Marvel's been growing on me.

Juntai
Dude, I got almost ten books this week alone.

Lucid Lui
Definately an addiction.

King KAM
i buy about 6 books a week

Sir SKEETS Alot
In a good week I get about 15 that's very rare.Normaly I get about 8 or 10..............erm some I even got a suscription for them.......

Psyquis52
I would compare the attraction to comic books with the attraction to Harry Potter. It puts you in another world with characters you know and love. You want to know what they look like so you go to see the movies. You want to know what they sound like. You wonder what the character is going to go through next year or what the character will be like.
Comic books work like that except that they stimulate you on a higher level. In many comic books the art is as exceptional as the writing. You want to soak up every frame before moving on to the next page. The story keeps you but it's the illustrations that grab your attention. Furthermore, unlike in the Harry Potter series, there is no ending for these heroes. Even when you try to kill one off 90% of the time they'll be back.
It's a major addiction that stimulates your intellect, your eyes, and your imagination.

inamilist
like some of you I'm also just getting back into the phenomina of comics, lol, maybe I'm attempting to get back to my youth smile.

Right now, I might pick up 1-2 books a week, but that mainly due to finances as opposed to interest. So I can certainly see where the "addiction" thing might come in.

just look at it this way, at least you aren't stuck on the horse.

DarkCrawler
Addiction...I read so many comics that it is incredible.

Although some of it might be because I hope to see a certain character make an appearence...

Juntai
Tell Namor to choke out Bruce Jones so he stops writing Nightwing like a pussy! lol.
Bruce Jones is one of my favorite writers right now, but he's ****ing up one of my favorite titles! Geh . .. He'll get his mojo back.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.