How much time did the Falcon take flying to Bespin?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Revolver Ocelot
From the time they were dumped off the ISD in ESB.

I'm wondering whether the EU has an answer for this (ESB novelization or otherwise). I'm guessing at least a month. I mean, flying to another system without Hyperdrive should take a mighty long time.

Jonathan Mark
Nah Han just got out and pushed and they got there within a few days...

((The_Anomaly))
Yea I had wondered this myself actually...

shoulda' taken a good while I'd think...

Janus Marius
Hm. Good point.

Illustrious
Yeah, a lot sure did transpire before they got there, so it should have taken a while.

But then again, Vader is the chozen 0n3! He can do things super fast!

Revolver Ocelot
Hm. Then Luke would have spent over a month at Yoder's house.

Strange, his dueling ability is not noticably better from the time he dueled Vader in the swamp to the time he dueled Vader on Bespin....

Janus Marius
The duel on the swamp was hardly very telling though.

Revolver Ocelot
Yeah, I guess it was just there for symbolic purposes.

Captain REX
About a month, I'd think. Maybe more. Luke spent a great deal of time with Yoda.

Traya
He speaks! Hail Rex!

Captain REX
raver

Janus Marius
We have to hail? zomG!

Sesse

Janus Marius
lmao!

Great Vengeance

Sesse
And to think about it some more. Falcon should be able to travel a bit faster to make it in months...

4763 million years.

So million times faster falcon made it in 4763 years.

So 73,43 m/s * 1000 000 = 73 430 000 m/s

Lightspeed is 299 792 458 m / s

4763M / X = 299 792 458 | * X

4763M = 299792458X |: 299792458
X = 15,9

Edit: Umh.. Yeah. So... ummm. What the heck is "15,9" supposed to mark for? I have no idea. And Im gonna sleep now. See if anyone comes up with better calculations.

Hell, I dont even know what Im supposed to calculate right now, so its most likely to be wrong. But anyway. Millennium falcon cannot reach Bespin without its hyperdrive under any circumstances.

Ushgarak
ESB novel is not EU; clearly a film topic, so moved.

To answer the question- it took an unspecified amount of time during which Luke was training. To do the best to fix the anomaly, some fans choose to take the idea that ships can accelerate endlessly (as in real life, even though the films seem to have a max sublight speed), but even at half the speed of light it would take a wildly long time, no matter how close the two systems were.

(btw, Sesse's calculations are incorrect- they were in the Anoat system, not Hoth. The ISD fleet had clearly jumped already)

So the only alternative is that ships have another means of FTL travel that is simply far slower and shorter ranged than normal hyperspace.

Sesse
If I remember correctly, people even tried to gauge that time by observing Lukes facial hair and hair growth as well as his clothes tidyness.

But nobody trains a jedi in days. Should be weeks to months.

http://www.mecha.com/~conkle/starwars/images/galaxymaphireswhite.gif

This map might give a hint about the distances. The distance from Naboo to Tatooine in episode 1 seems to be far longer than distance from Hoth to Bespin. Anoat system should be somewhere between those two.

Was the hyperdrive in episode 1 functional? It was said that "The hyperdrive is leaking, we'll need a new one". Maybe leaking, but if it wasn't operational, they would have met Gunrays grand,grand,grand,grand,grand,grand,grand,grand,gr
and,grand sons army in Naboo.

Sesse
If I remember correctly, people even tried to gauge that time by observing Lukes facial hair and hair growth as well as his clothes tidyness.

But nobody trains a jedi in days. Should be weeks to months.

http://www.mecha.com/~conkle/starwars/images/galaxymaphireswhite.gif

This map might give a hint about the distances. The distance from Naboo to Tatooine in episode 1 seems to be far longer than distance from Hoth to Bespin. Anoat system should be somewhere between those two.

Was the hyperdrive in episode 1 functional? It was said that "The hyperdrive is leaking, we'll need a new one". Maybe leaking, but if it wasn't operational, they would have met Gunrays grand,grand,grand,grand,grand,grand,grand,grand,gr
and,grand sons army in Naboo.

Ushgarak
That was clearly just a range issue, in TPM.

Revolver Ocelot
There's something terribly wrong with the ships' speeds. The Falcon moves ".5 past lightspeed" (whatever that means, I'm guessing 1.5xlightspeed)....

At that rate, it would still take over 1000 years to reach Bespin from Hoth WITH lightspeed. And it would take about 33,000 years to reach Hoth from Coruscant.

The ships should really be millions of times faster.

Sesse
Perhaps the speed is not an issue here...

Maybe all they need in SW universe is accelration.

In our galaxy, there is some very thin shitty gas between huge distances. So thin that it doesn't really affect anything but a very fast moving ship. Those molecules are likely to damage ship when they crash in it at the speed of light.

But if the SW universe is free of this gas thingy, then all they need is a ship wth enough thrust to rise the constantly and steadily.

2 km/h
4 km/h
16 km/h
256 km/h
65536 km/h

So the amount of fuel is the only limit to their speed. As there is no friction is SW Space and apparently stuff can move faster than light. So longer they burn the engines, the faster the ship goes. Another story is to find out how they decrease their speed.

Tangible God
To expand on Revolver's post: One light year is the how far light travels in one year, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

And if the SW galaxy is say, about 100 000 light years across, and if going into Hyperspace is going the speed of light, then shouldn't it take 100 000 years to jump "to the other side of the galaxy" as Piett said?

DiamondBullets
Actually, EU states many times that hyperspace is many times the speed of light. And Piett was just using an expression.

Tangible God
Really. Man, EU is so outta whack I can't keep up. *sigh* Oh well.

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by Tangible God
To expand on Revolver's post: One light year is the how far light travels in one year, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

And if the SW galaxy is say, about 100 000 light years across, and if going into Hyperspace is going the speed of light, then shouldn't it take 100 000 years to jump "to the other side of the galaxy" as Piett said?

Hyperspace is ridiculously fast, it throws logic out the window...just like the rest of SW.

Sesse
At leasts its ridiculously expensive when compared to what it offers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.