-=- The Battle of 1812 -=-

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Koala MeatPie
So while the Americans where trying to fight The Canadians Going Upstream, (Provitions comming downstream to supply the Canadian Troops) The Americans foolishly lost.

So The Canadians (Well, to be truthfull, A Pack of Farmers armed with PitchForks) Went down to Washington.

And Burnt The WhiteHouse down.

Fatal Smoke
I thought the British did this. And it was a war. The War of 1812

Janus Marius
I never found this war very interesting, personally.

Fatal Smoke
Originally posted by Janus Marius
I never found this war very interesting, personally.
British came; British Burned; British lost; British left. War Over.

Koala MeatPie
There was one also in Europe, But that was against Napoleon.

Janus Marius
They took Detroit and I think Mackinac. That was fairly interesting, but only if you've been to the museum at Fort Mackinac, which is a great place.

Blaxican_Hydra
Yes it really is funny how most Americans smehow forget to mention the white house burning amonst there speaches about how well America kicks ass in wars.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Blaxican_Hydra
Yes it really is funny how most Americans smehow forget to mention the white house burning amonst there speaches about how well America kicks ass in wars.

And do other countries talk about their defeats while public figures speak of "kicking ass"?

Nope. Didn't think so. happy

Blaxican_Hydra
Actually some do. And hell we talk about 'nam all the time, although Vietnam was probably a lot more chaotic, hence its popularity.

Janus Marius
I saw a travel guide to Germany from 1991 today. They spent exactly two sentences discussing WWI and WWII in context with the history of the country. No Hitler, no nothing.

What country wants to relive shame?

H. S. 6
I saw a travel guide to Germany from 1991 today. They spent exactly two sentences discussing WWI and WWII in context with the history of the country. No Hitler, no nothing.

What country wants to relive shame?

Reminds me of an episode of Family Guy.

"Excuse me, sir, your pamphlet of Germany explains nothing about what happened from 1933 to 1945."

"Ve vere all on vacation!!"

Political satire at its best. stick out tongue

Janus Marius
Definately.

Btw, has anyone here had the chance to see or visit Fort Mackinac? I know it's a long shot with a good deal of you being from out of country, but if you ever have the chance to go, GO. It's one of the most authentic and preserved historical military sites in the American midwest.

Tangible God
I don't know why everyone thinks it was the CANDIANS who "kicked the American's ass." Sure some militia fought along the soldiers, but that was about the highlight of it. It was the British who fought them off, the British who burned Washington, and the Bristish who lost at New Orleans, and the British who signed the Ghent.

Canada didn't even exist back then. Except for the World Wars, we've always sucked militarily.

Captain REX
The War of 1812 doesn't interest me, really. It's like the British trying to rewrite the Revolution, when you look at it. And we won, anyways.

Numan2.0
Originally posted by Captain REX
The War of 1812 doesn't interest me, really. It's like the British trying to rewrite the Revolution, when you look at it. And we won, anyways.

YEah, we're pretty kick ass wink

Except for this whole "Iraq" yhing. I hoenstly thing the terrorist are using cheat codes big grin

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Tangible God
I don't know why everyone thinks it was the CANDIANS who "kicked the American's ass." Sure some militia fought along the soldiers, but that was about the highlight of it. It was the British who fought them off, the British who burned Washington, and the Bristish who lost at New Orleans, and the British who signed the Ghent.

Canada didn't even exist back then. Except for the World Wars, we've always sucked militarily.

thumb up

The British are the ones that smacked us... we just smacked back harder. stick out tongue

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Fatal Smoke
I thought the British did this. And it was a war. The War of 1812

Ushgarak
Whoa whoa whoa, guys, excluding Canada from this is a big error. This was an important part of forming Canada as a nation.

One of my favourite lines from the great show 'Due South' was when Benton is teaching some Us schookids on US/Canada history and finishes with a line about how these two great nations have always lived in peace...

"...except in 1812, where you tried to invade us and we sent you packing."

Very true. But it was the Brits who torched the White House.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Whoa whoa whoa, guys, excluding Canada from this is a big error. This was an important part of forming Canada as a nation.

One of my favourite lines from the great show 'Due South' was when Benton is teaching some Us schookids on US/Canada history and finishes with a line about how these two great nations have always lived in peace...

"...except in 1812, where you tried to invade us and we sent you packing."

Very true. But it was the Brits who torched the White House.

I love that show!

Originally posted by H. S. 6
thumb up

The British are the ones that smacked us... we just smacked back harder. stick out tongue

Americans........no grace....

Blaxican Style
meh, we're the pimps of the earth, for now.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
Americans........no grace....

I don't believe that was necessary.

@ Ush: No doubt Canada had a big role in the War of 1812. Canadian militia made up a decent size portion of the British army, after all.

I was talking about the burning of Washington, though. That was all British. stick out tongue

Janus Marius
Grand Moff Gav is notorious for slighting Americans without even trying.

Fatal Smoke
Grand Moff Gav is notorious for slighting Americans without even trying.
LMAO!

Blaxican Style
ya know was V from..v for vendetta... were hsi ideas really bullet proof?

Da preacher
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
There was one also in Europe, But that was against Napoleon.

I think that was the invasion of Russia.
I may be wrong though.

Tangible God
Napolean fought like everone in and around Europe, including Britain and Russia.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.