Superman with psionic powers?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soss
So, ummm, does Superman have some sort of psionic abilities?
It seems so, if he can lift HUGE objects without them crumbling to nothing under their own weight.
Also, I've heard somewhere that he once used powerful telepathy or something to make people see him as just a reporter while as Clark Kent, when the disguise he used was obvious of him being Superman.

Does his psionic powers also give him SOME strength too, like a SHORT-DISTANCE telekinesis maybe?

Someone help.

superman41082
Yeah, it's true that they have said before that Superamn had kind of a hypnotic stare, so when he was Clark Kent, he would be made to look different in a few ways. Either blurry and you just never got a clean look at him with glasses and his hat, or made to look like a weakling. In the 'Man of Steel' storyline, Clark's glasses were made from crystals from Krypton that made him look like a weakling, but these are highly criticized because of someone looking at him from behind. Superman could vibrate his face(like the original Flash) while he's Clark(because Superman is supposed to be out in the open) just enough to make him look different. Also, the most important thing to realize is that no one is looking for a Superman altar-ego, because it is believed, since he is so public and wears no mask that he doesn't have a secret identity and is Superman all the time. In one Superman comic, someone told the truth to Lex Luthor and he disbelieved it because he couldn't believe someone as powerful as Superman would ever want to pose as a weakling like Clark Kent.

Mindship
There have been occasional, alternate explanations for Superman's powers (other than the yellow-sun radiation bit) involving "psionics," especially since, as I have pointed out in numerous threads, Superman does not have anywhere near the skin surface area required to absorb the amount of solar power needed for him to do what he does. So possibly, the solar energy triggers a greater power source (like how a car ignition gets the more powerful car motor going), this source involving psionics.

But now you have to explain what psionics is and how that works, at least if you wanna keep psionics from becoming a plot device (TK already bordering on such).

hitemup
you cant fuk with superman

hitemup
how do u get a pic under your name plz

Soss
...TRY to make a useful post.

So, I was wondering, if Supes can use psionic power to keep buildings together, then why can't he use it from far away, like Jean Gray?

Mindship
Originally posted by Soss
...TRY to make a useful post.

So, I was wondering, if Supes can use psionic power to keep buildings together, then why can't he use it from far away, like Jean Gray?

Because Supes' version would probably be called "tactile telekinesis," which is really a contradiction in terms. "Tele-" means far away, from a distance; yet how far away can something be if you can touch it?

Regardless, the psionic theory, as far as I know, is not canon.

Soss
Originally posted by Mindship
Because Supes' version would probably be called "tactile telekinesis," which is really a contradiction in terms. "Tele-" means far away, from a distance; yet how far away can something be if you can touch it?

So, you could almost call what he (and I am guessing Superboy does it, too) does "tactile-kinesis". Kinesis, which I think you know, means "to move".

Errr....what IS canon, exactly?
I don't understand what that, and PIS is. Please explain.

Oh, and thanks for an intelligent response.

Doctor SKank

Psions could be theorectical term for a state of consciouness that allows a charcter control particles wave functions. smile

Mindship
Originally posted by Soss
So, you could almost call what he (and I am guessing Superboy does it, too) does "tactile-kinesis". Kinesis, which I think you know, means "to move".

Errr....what IS canon, exactly?
I don't understand what that, and PIS is. Please explain.

Oh, and thanks for an intelligent response.

Sure ting.

Yeah, "tactile-kinesis," while more awkward a term, would be more accurate. And PIS = Plot Inspired Stupidity (ie, bad/lazy writing).

Canon is, in short: Superman is a living solar battery, the solar energy being metabolized by a kryptonian "metagene" which converts the solar energy into biological energy, a big part of which is his bioelectric aura, which is responsible for Superman's invulnerability.

Mindship
Originally posted by Doctor SKank
Psions could be theorectical term for a state of consciouness that allows a charcter control particles wave functions. smile

I have a theory of "psiconsciousness," or awareness of quantum wave-functions, which could be used to explain pretty much every superpower imaginable. I've posted the details of it in previous threads...but in comicdom the theory is, of course, moot, since each comic/character has its own canon as to how powers work.

Doctor SKank
I have a theory of "psi-consciousness," or awareness of quantum wave-functions, which could be used to explain pretty much every superpower imaginable. I've posted the details of it in previous threads...but in comicdom the theory is, of course, moot, since each comic/character has its own canon as to how powers work.

"psi-consciousness," Grant Morison uses this to explain magic .... as does Mark Waid during his FF4 run. As you stated this awareness it linked to a transcendent form of consciousness outside the realms of time. This accounts for the mystical element. Imagine if you could see the Wave functions of the universe (The many worlds theory and Hawking's notion), and then 'tunnel' matter from one reality into another. You would be able to violate the energy matter conversion law of thermo dynamics. You be literally a god !

Mindship
Originally posted by Doctor SKank
"psi-consciousness," Grant Morison uses this to explain magic .... as does Mark Waid during his FF4 run. As you stated this awareness it linked to a transcendent form of consciousness outside the realms of time. This accounts for the mystical element. Imagine if you could see the Wave functions of the universe (The many worlds theory and Hawking's notion), and then 'tunnel' matter from one reality into another. You would be able to violate the energy matter conversion law of thermo dynamics. You be literally a god !

I hate magic the way it is conventionally used/otherwise explained. Too plot-devicey for me. Morrison's approach is better, IMO.

I find it an interesting coincidence (?) that psi is the term parapsychologists use to refer to psychic phenomena, AND it is the term physicists use to refer to the quantum wavefunction. In terms of real-world applications, the major drawback is that the theory places Consciousness--not the material world--as the ultimate ground of being, which right away puts it beyond the reach of empirical science. However, in the comic world, where you already have all kinds of gods and cosmic beings and such, it works out very nicely.

Avalonofthewind
The closest shown in comics for psonic powers is Superman's "Torquasm Vo."
With this he creates a mental battlefield that snares his opponents and whatever else is around them. He then has access to some of his opponents powers as well.

It's basically a Super virtual reality under Supermans rules.

Perhaps this "reality distortion" ability is being used at a subconscious level and that is why people don't see Superman when they see Clark Kent.

Mindship
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
Perhaps this "reality distortion" ability is being used at a subconscious level and that is why people don't see Superman when they see Clark Kent.

Sounds good to me. It would also explain that amnesia-kiss he planted on Lois in Supe 2, or for that matter, that replication/hologram "game" he used in the Fortress.

R.O.T. Yahman
I hate magic the way it is conventionally used/otherwise explained. Too plot-devicey for me. Morrison's approach is better, IMO.

I find it an interesting coincidence (?) that psi is the term parapsychologists use to refer to psychic phenomena, AND it is the term physicists use to refer to the quantum wavefunction. In terms of real-world applications, the major drawback is that the theory places Consciousness--not the material world--as the ultimate ground of being, which right away puts it beyond the reach of empirical science. However, in the comic world, where you already have all kinds of gods and cosmic beings and such, it works out very nicely.

Agreed .... smile

Avalonofthewind
Sounds good to me. It would also explain that amnesia-kiss he planted on Lois in Supe 2, or for that matter, that replication/hologram "game" he used in the Fortress.

Ah! But can it explain the plastic S shield of doom? stick out tongue

MattDay
lol nope that was the weirdest scene and most confusing of the superman films wacko

Superboy Prime
I always believed the plastic S-wrap and holos in Superman 2 were possible thanks to the fortress.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.