hinduism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blue nocturne
I'm kinda confused about hinduism, is it a henotheistic religion or pantheistic?

Also what are the difference's between the devas and Ishvara?

Mindship

lord xyz
I wouldn't expect you to understand religion roll eyes (sarcastic)

Blue nocturne
Thanks mindship.

Shakyamunison
No thanks lard xyz. laughing jk

lord xyz
shit, double post disgust

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lord xyz
I wouldn't expect you to understand religion roll eyes (sarcastic)

Are you stuck? roll eyes (sarcastic)

-hh-

Mindship
Originally posted by -hh-
...what about Zoroastrianism...

Hinduism is older.

Usually, when statements like "world's oldest organized religion" are made, it's usually with reference to the 5 major thriving faiths. Unlike Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity and Islam however, Hinduism was not founded by a person. My understanding is that it kind of "evolved" out of earlier forms of religious regard humans held for nature, themselves, life and death.

-hh-
Originally posted by Mindship
Hinduism is older.

Usually, when statements like "world's oldest organized religion" are made, it's usually with reference to the 5 major thriving faiths. Unlike Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity and Islam however, Hinduism was not founded by a person. My understanding is that it kind of "evolved" out of earlier forms of religious regard humans held for nature, themselves, life and death. true. my bad.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by -hh-
i think this is wrong...what about Zoroastrianism...

I never heard of that religion. Where does it originate from?

Janus Marius
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism

Bardock42
It's a 4000 year old Religion around persia the founder is the famous Zarathustra. I think it's often referred to as the first monotheistic religion....besides Judaism being earlier (if I am right about the general dates....could be close).....

lil bitchiness
Hmm thats Interesting...

Actually, Hindus will argue that Hinduism is a monotheist religion. There is only one supreme reality...

Many Jews and Muslims see Christianity as monotheist because of trinity...

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Hmm thats Interesting...

Actually, Hindus will argue that Hinduism is a monotheist religion. There is only one supreme reality...

Oh well, I don't see the big difference anyways, if you believe in one Supernatural Entity why not a second one...

Mindship
Hmm thats Interesting...

I think the difference is that while both Hindus and the Western faiths believe in a Supreme Being, the Western faiths say, That's it. There are no other gods. There are angels, but no more gods.

It could be argued the differences are semantic. But different words are being used for different reasons. Hinduism says "gods" because it was a system incorporating and expounding upon other systems, taking in gods. Judaism, the first of the Western faiths, was stressing (among other things), freedom from all the "false gods," the idol worship. No "gods." Angels. There is only one true God, formless and abstract.

debbiejo
I like your George Carlin line there ^^...........Kind of says a lot.....being in the RF and all.......... roll eyes (sarcastic)

.......oh, this was for Bardock.

I don't know any Hindus.......Aren't they vegatarians too though??

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
I like your George Carlin line there ^^...........Kind of says a lot.....being in the RF and all.......... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Thank you, I found that sketch to be very funny. Also, it holds much truth in it.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Janus Marius
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism

Zoroastrianism teaches many of the concepts found in the major Abrahamic faiths such as Heaven, Hell, the Last Judgment, Satan, prophecy, the coming of the Messiah, angels, and evil spirits.

Well..........isn't this interesting from that site....

lil bitchiness
I sense religious plagiarism!

The Omega
Lil Bitchiness> Christianity did not arise out of a void of course. It was most likely based on Zoroastrianism and borrowed heavily from Egyptian myths as well.

The image I have attached is not Mary and baby Jesus. It's an ancient painting from an Egyptian temple of the goddess Isis and baby Horus...

lil bitchiness
Now thats interesting!

Also, while we're talking about Hinduism, Jesus also had an alarmingly similar life to Krishna.

Krishna was born of virgin mother, he was also healer and teacher, also a God, he was also betrayed and killed by people who deemed him as false prophet who claimed he was a god....hmmm....

Bardock42
Aww, it's soo adorable....

debbiejo
Originally posted by The Omega
Lil Bitchiness> Christianity did not arise out of a void of course. It was most likely based on Zoroastrianism and borrowed heavily from Egyptian myths as well.

The image I have attached is not Mary and baby Jesus. It's an ancient painting from an Egyptian temple of the goddess Isis and baby Horus... True, there are many pictures like this in older religions as well. They sure do look like Mary and Jesus, but are NOT.

Also, though OT, this is a picture of Zeus........Sure looks a lot of Jesus too...

Good link on Horus....quite simular.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa5.htm

The Omega

-hh-

Mindship
Joseph Campbell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces. Excellent read on the similarity of myth across cultures/faiths.

Some similarities are so striking that Campbell and current day mythologists and psychologists have suggested they represent more than just traveler's tales. They reflect (Jungian) archetypes: universal structures in the human psyche, aspects of a collective unconscious, an unconscious, in some ways, closer to the Truth than is the conscious mind.

The Hero Myth, in all its variations, represents the striving to connect with the Profound.

debbiejo
Interesting. Jung huh??....Never heard that, and I like Jung. He seems to have his stuff together.

Crimson Phoenix
Now thats interesting!

Also, while we're talking about Hinduism, Jesus also had an alarmingly similar life to Krishna.

Krishna was born of virgin mother, he was also healer and teacher, also a God, he was also betrayed and killed by people who deemed him as false prophet who claimed he was a god....hmmm....

Erm....i dont think you got the story right. He was definately wasnt betrayed and killed.

Goddess Kali
Kali is the coolest mythological character in my opinion.

She is cooler than Zeus, Apollo, Athena, Lucifer, and Yahweh combined

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Mindship
Hinduism is older.

Usually, when statements like "world's oldest organized religion" are made, it's usually with reference to the 5 major thriving faiths. Unlike Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity and Islam however, Hinduism was not founded by a person. My understanding is that it kind of "evolved" out of earlier forms of religious regard humans held for nature, themselves, life and death.

Actually, it is unknown the precise details of the origin of Hinduism, because it is so old.

Crimson Phoenix
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
Kali is the coolest mythological character in my opinion.

She is cooler than Zeus, Apollo, Athena, Lucifer, and Yahweh combined

Kali truly is the shizzle. She could kick all these gods asses whilst sleepin cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.