The Celts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
To me the Celts were brilliant people and shouldn't of died out. For those who don't know, Celts were people all over Europe but the last few were in Britain, mainly because of Romans, Saxons and Christianity.

What is a celt/druid?

Holidays

...and any more information and discussion you can talk about.

Fire
making a thread about one civilization/culture is a bit weird, but ok!

Celts have always facinated many people, probably because every feels atleast partly related.

Janus Marius
In a sense, a lot of people are. Especially in the U.S. Hell, half of the U.S. can claim Germanic ancestry, and an equally good portion has Irish blood. And Celtic roots in a lot of things stays with us, probably because in the Middle Ages learning was preserved in monasteries in Ireland while the rest of Europe fell into darkness.

Tangible God
I guess I'm a little Celtish.

Janus Marius
I'm not Celtic. A lot of people I know are Celtic or Celtophiles. It's almost fadish.

Tangible God
What are you?

Janus Marius
German and British.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Janus Marius
German and British.

Sweet, I am only German.

Tangible God
I'm British, but there's bound to be some other type in me too.

Traya
Meh, my mother was Welsh and my father was English, or to be more precise, Cornish.

debbiejo
Celtic history is interesting. The Celtic church of Ireland was supposedly already christian when the Catholic church decided to convert them..........oh, btw, I'm not Celtic.....Just Italian, German, and Native American....oh and a little French....

make-up

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by lord xyz
To me the Celts were brilliant people and shouldn't of died out.

See "Darwinian World" wink

Even if in this case it isn't a species but a culture the rule still applys, sort of.

§P0oONY
The 1st evidence of Celtic/Galic life is actually in Germany. Watched a 2 hour programme on the Celts, that's about all I can remember.

Darth Macabre
They were a sub-division of the Germanic and Gaul tribes right?

§P0oONY
They Celts were the Gauls, The Roman's called them Gaul, the Greek's called them Celts.

Well according to the I watched anyway.

Darth Macabre

Janus Marius
I did. But of course, after Caesar conquered Gaul, it ceased to have a predominately Celtic culture.

§P0oONY
I did. But of course, after Caesar conquered Gaul, it ceased to have a predominately Celtic culture.

lol, obviously. stick out tongue

Janus Marius
Well, I mean more than usual. Rome did move into Britain and other portions of Europe, but those places maintained some measure of cultural history and tradition. Gaul really didn't.

§P0oONY
Rome moved into Britain but they never really conquered it, hence it maintained most of it's pagan ways, although it was effected greatly by the Roman's most of it's heritage probably stems from a more Saxon background.

Janus Marius
That's because the Saxons came later. And they came in waves, along with the Angles and Jutes. And the Anglo-Saxon culture was later meshed with the Norman French one.

Yumcarrots
i'm studying the druids in archaeology. human sacrifice, how pleasant

lord xyz

lord xyz
That's because the Saxons came later. And they came in waves, along with the Angles and Jutes. And the Anglo-Saxon culture was later meshed with the Norman French one. you forgot Vikings. But then again, they ****ed off to America and came back without telling anyone. sad

Janus Marius
you forgot Vikings. But then again, they ****ed off to America and came back without telling anyone. sad
Vikings didn't come in until after the others were established. And most vikings were Danish.

debbiejo

big gay kirk
Strangely enough, some Greek historians accounted the Celts among the "lost" Tribes of Israel... this was mainly down to two things... firstly, the Celts that originally came into contact with the Greeks were travelling in the right direction to be Israelites releasd from Captivity... and secondly, the Greek mame "Keltoi" means nomads, or wanderers, as does the Aramaic Habiru, from which we get Hebrew....

lord xyz
Vikings didn't come in until after the others were established. And most vikings were Danish. Norweigen

lord xyz
Originally posted by Fire
making a thread about one civilization/culture is a bit weird, but ok!

Celts have always facinated many people, probably because every feels atleast partly related. did you know celts never invaded anything?

lord xyz
Originally posted by Yumcarrots
i'm studying the druids in archaeology. human sacrifice, how pleasant celts are not druids.

Storm
did you know celts never invaded anything?
I believe they have.
celts are not druids.
Not all Celts were druids, but the word druid is the name of the Celtic priestly class.

Da preacher

That is NOT true.

KharmaDog
Celt is the greek name? Then what did they call themselves?

They identified themselves with their tribe as opposed to the entire culture. One would consider themselves as Atrebate, Belgae, Brigantes or Iceni rather than as a member of a celtic or gaulish nation. That was until the influence of Rome's might encouraged them to unite in defense.

Various Celtic and Gaulish tribes were continually invading the lands of others.

dr. pookie
Norweigen

the danes made up the majority of vikings during that period, sorry to tell you

MightyEInherjar
Dr. pookie is right. Though most of the classic viking/nordic -culture- stems from Norwegian artifacts, most of the the "Vikings" by meaning were Danish. A simple google or two bring up the meaning of viking or "to go a-viking". Although, if anyone says the Vikings were Swedish, Norwegian, or Danish, they'd be correct. (getting my major to teach Northern European History 500CE-1100CE)

Belegûr

lord xyz
Originally posted by dr. pookie
the danes made up the majority of vikings during that period, sorry to tell you Yes but there were Vikings from Norway and Sweden.

Alfheim
In a sense, a lot of people are. Especially in the U.S. Hell, half of the U.S. can claim Germanic ancestry, and an equally good portion has Irish blood. And Celtic roots in a lot of things stays with us, probably because in the Middle Ages learning was preserved in monasteries in Ireland while the rest of Europe fell into darkness.

Both my parents were born in W.Africa and apparently I have some portugese blood, but as far as im concerned I have Germanic ancestry because I have a bond with the Norse Gods. Therefore I have a spirtual bond with all the people that have honoured them.

baracustastic
Originally posted by MightyEInherjar
Dr. pookie is right. Though most of the classic viking/nordic -culture- stems from Norwegian artifacts, most of the the "Vikings" by meaning were Danish. A simple google or two bring up the meaning of viking or "to go a-viking". Although, if anyone says the Vikings were Swedish, Norwegian, or Danish, they'd be correct. (getting my major to teach Northern European History 500CE-1100CE)

many possible origins of the word viking. Only some of which fit our impression of them. Vik and variants of the word in various languages of the time can mean: pirate/sailor/fisherman/trader/priest/lord/farmer.

However, basically:

Norwegians went north atlantic: Scotland, Ireland, Faeroes, Iceland, Greenland, Vinland (North America somewhere no-one sure where.)

Danish: North Sea/Med/Irish Sea/Eng Channel. Therefore: France/Ned/Spain/Italy. Normans (men from the north) of Danish descent. North Africa too

Swedish: Went east: Poland/Russia/Ukraine right down Black Sea through Byzantium and out into Med.

They got around a bit. Raiding/trading/settling/ruling/soldiering. Any way they could make cash they did it - preferably as easily as possible.

Alfheim
Originally posted by baracustastic
many possible origins of the word viking. Only some of which fit our impression of them. Vik and variants of the word in various languages of the time can mean: pirate/sailor/fisherman/trader/priest/lord/farmer.

However, basically:

Norwegians went north atlantic: Scotland, Ireland, Faeroes, Iceland, Greenland, Vinland (North America somewhere no-one sure where.)

Danish: North Sea/Med/Irish Sea/Eng Channel. Therefore: France/Ned/Spain/Italy. Normans (men from the north) of Danish descent. North Africa too

Swedish: Went east: Poland/Russia/Ukraine right down Black Sea through Byzantium and out into Med.

They got around a bit. Raiding/trading/settling/ruling/soldiering. Any way they could make cash they did it - preferably as easily as possible.

Nice sig by the way. laughing

Slyððering
Although the statements claiming that "most Vikings were Danish" are not wrong in any sense due to what modern archæologists and historians have been able to deduce, they are somewhat simple-minded: You have to remember, if you were a Viking, the Anglo-Saxons called you a "Dane" more often than not, irrespective of whether you came from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, (etc.), and it is from the somewhat biased and/or confused chronicles and writings of the Anglo-Saxons that historians relied upon for so long to piece together the history of the early-Mediæval Period, either adopting the Anglo-Saxon use of "Dane" or generalizing to "Scandinavian."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.