I've changed my mind about Superman Returns now

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Parker
Initially I was not going to go see this movie because I felt Hollywood was just doing another unnecessary remake that did not need to be made again.Can you say King King 2005? roll eyes (sarcastic) It just never made any sense to make another Superman movie since the first was so great -the greatest comicbook movie ever,no contest.I mean if it had been done really badly back in 78 I would have been all for this movie being made but since it is easily the best comicbook movie ever,I was outraged at first about another being made.I mean why make another Superman movie when the first is considered the greatest comicbook movie of all time? But after seeing the trailer for it,I have for sure changed my mind and am excited about this movie and cant wait to see it.As hard as it is for me to believe,it looks like it could be even better than the original Superman movie. Happy Dance

WrathfulDwarf
I knew it! I just knew it! This film is for the Superman fans it belongs to you guys. Enjoy! I hope Superman Returns delivers just like Batman Begins. big grin

roughrider
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Initially I was not going to go see this movie because I felt Hollywood was just doing another unnecessary remake that did not need to be made again.Can you say King King 2005? roll eyes (sarcastic) It just never made any sense to make another Superman movie since the first was so great -the greatest comicbook movie ever,no contest.I mean if it had been done really badly back in 78 I would have been all for this movie being made but since it is easily the best comicbook movie ever,I was outraged at first about another being made.I mean why make another Superman movie when the first is considered the greatest comicbook movie of all time? But after seeing the trailer for it,I have for sure changed my mind and am excited about this movie and cant wait to see it.As hard as it is for me to believe,it looks like it could be even better than the original Superman movie. Happy Dance

Once again, your criticism shows you to have your head up your ass - again. roll eyes (sarcastic)

This is not a remake of Superman: The Movie. It is a sequel, a continuation. Making another Superman film does not count as a remake. All filmmakers every do is take the basic elements and form their own story. It is not like trying to redo a completely original movie or novel. You could say that this is an unneccessary sequel, but I don't agree with that. 19 years - an entire generation has never seen Superman on the big screen. Every generation deserves the chance to see mass fictional icons on the screen - Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, plays by Shakespeare. Characters from comic books fall into that category too.

MattDay
dude he didnt say that, he's saying that to make another film of superman isn't required after an amazing run like superman 1 and 2, but to be honest they are pretty dated and the time now is perfect for the ultimate hero to come back to the big screen. So just saying be a little more wise about answering back.

roughrider
Originally posted by MattDay
dude he didnt say that, he's saying that to make another film of superman isn't required after an amazing run like superman 1 and 2, but to be honest they are pretty dated and the time now is perfect for the ultimate hero to come back to the big screen. So just saying be a little more wise about answering back.

He mentioned the remake of King Kong last year in his argument. He is specifically considering this a remake; which it isn't.

Mr Parker

Im glad YOU understood what I was saying. Okay fine,just to please people like roughrider, I will say I dont think a superman sequel was required since we already had an amazing run of superman 1 and 2.But after seeing those previews for it,I now take back everything I said,King King 2005 was for sure definetely NOT needed especially since they already made a good King Kong movie in 76 after they had originally made one in 36,there comes a time when enough is enough,but Superman Returns I got to give my thumbs up to because as i said,I did not think this would be possible but it looks like it will be even better than Superman 78.yes I am aware that its not a remake but the way they show the trailers for it gives people the impression that it is just another origin story because they show him as a kid on the kent farm learning about his powers.so until a few weeks ago,I like most people thought it was just another remake and an origin story again because thats the impression it gives obviously.But apparently those are just flashbacks he is having as an adult to get the newer audience not familiar with superman,familiar about his origin.

Dark Shazam93
Dude, the 76 King Kong movie was God-awful.... but Superman 2 is the best...

roughrider
Im glad YOU understood what I was saying. Okay fine,just to please people like roughrider, I will say I dont think a superman sequel was required since we already had an amazing run of superman 1 and 2.But after seeing those previews for it,I now take back everything I said,King King 2005 was for sure definetely NOT needed especially since they already made a good King Kong movie in 76 after they had originally made one in 36,there comes a time when enough is enough,but Superman Returns I got to give my thumbs up to because as i said,I did not think this would be possible but it looks like it will be even better than Superman 78.yes I am aware that its not a remake but the way they show the trailers for it gives people the impression that it is just another origin story because they show him as a kid on the kent farm learning about his powers.so until a few weeks ago,I like most people thought it was just another remake and an origin story again because thats the impression it gives obviously.But apparently those are just flashbacks he is having as an adult to get the newer audience not familiar with superman,familiar about his origin.

Even if they wanted to start completely from the beginning, with the whole origin, it still wouldn't count as a remake, for the reasons I said above. Batman Begins wasn't considered a remake of Batman; just restarting the character over, from a different perspective, is all.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by roughrider
Even if they wanted to start completely from the beginning, with the whole origin, it still wouldn't count as a remake, for the reasons I said above. Batman Begins wasn't considered a remake of Batman; just restarting the character over, from a different perspective, is all.

sure it would,it would be the origin story all over again.Thats what changed my mind about it is I dont want to see a damn origin story all over again.Yes Batman Begins wasnt a remake,it was a restart.The origin story for him was never really told so it was a must that they restarted it with Begins.But if they were starting from the beginning with the origin story all over again then yes it would be another remake.Thank god they're not doing that though.whew.

TMACalicious
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I knew it! I just knew it! This film is for the Superman fans it belongs to you guys. Enjoy! I hope Superman Returns delivers just like Batman Begins. big grin

I'm looking forward to Superman Returns, but I'm not going to have much expectation of it delivering just like Batman Begins. It's gonna be tough topping Begins' excellence.

Plus Begins was such a success because Bale portrayed Batman/Bruce Wayne perfectly. I don't think this newbie Routh can deliver as well as Bale did.

Neverthless, that's not stopping me from watching it once it comes out here in New Zealand.

Mr Parker
Yeah I see where your coming from.unlike Bale,I have my doubts about Routh.I mean to me,Chris Reeve is the one and only Superman,There is no other.So he really has his work cut out for him to replace Reeve where unlike with Bale,he really didnt have too much to worry about since none of the people that had played Bruce wayne before him were really all that great.so yeah I'm kinda in the same boat as you are,not that much hyped about it like I was with Bale as Batman or with Batman Begins being released.

TMACalicious
Amen to that brother! I grew up watching his Superman movies over n over again. I still watch them from time to time.

May the good man and his wife rest in peace...
RIP, Christopher & Dana Reeve

mike059jig
i didn't think king kong was an uneccesay remake at all...its was just to introduce him into the 21 century and the other remakes failed unike 2005's...this is a sequel considering the fist 2 supes movie are classis superheroe movies..

redcaped
Today I bought my \S/ shirt...same from the movie not the flat one. Now I'm ready for the movie and I'm also working out that is why I post much less now!

Mr Parker
Originally posted by mike059jig
i didn't think king kong was an uneccesay remake at all...its was just to introduce him into the 21 century and the other remakes failed unike 2005's...this is a sequel considering the fist 2 supes movie are classis superheroe movies..

Man King Kong was a HUGE unnecessary remake. thumb down

redcaped
Who are you?! A friend

roughrider

The three King Kong films were all made when they were certain jumps being made in VFX. The first, it was the beginning of stop-motion animation. The second, it was advances in make-up, miniatues and blue-screen optical printing. Now, with CGI so prevelent, they have gotten the most photorealistic Kong yet.
But that's not necessarily enough reason to do a remake.

redcaped
It's the big screen folks...this is a 14" right here.

Mr Parker

wtf? the 2005 one stuck and was aawful.if anything,the 76 version was far better than that crapfest 2005 version.
thumb down

redcaped
Have you realized the fish skinned costume made for the new movie like nuclear man part 4. By bringing this I'm sure they're planning something.

roughrider
Originally posted by redcaped
Have you realized the fish skinned costume made for the new movie like nuclear man part 4. By bringing this I'm sure they're planning something.
What the f**k? ..........................

redcaped
You know...if you only read my posts you'll never understand. You have to think. And that's not against the rules. Improper words may be but the idea is there...take your time since I was pointed out!

Dark Shazam93
!!!!!!!!!!! And... King Kong 76 and 05 were crap, but 36 was a classic. Superman 1 and 2 deserve a great sequel and SR looks like onme!

office jesus
I just want to see Spacey as Luthor. Lmfao.

Dark Shazam93
Ok...?

BlackC@
Of COURSE it's necessary to make another Superman movie! Have you seen the kind of CGI we have these days!? I'm tired of seeing really crappy special effects when I watch the orginals.

The new costume is just brillaint! Everyone's all "I hate it!" That's only because it's NOT the orginal suit. Everyone only thinks the first suit is the best because it IS the FIRST. The first suit looks ridiculous. Admit it. You all only think it's the best because it's the first. It's made of crappy spandex. The new one is a much higher quality costume.

Superman has been dead for decades, it's time to breathe fresh air into him.

BlackC@
What the f**k? ..........................

I completely agree. What the Hell are you talking about, redcaped?

Xam
can someone explain to me where superman returns stands in the saga???is it the sequel to 1&2 or is it a sequel of the 4th one...explanation plz

roughrider
Originally posted by BlackC@
I completely agree. What the Hell are you talking about, redcaped?

Redcaped goes off on long tangents only he/she seems to understand. confused

roughrider
Originally posted by Xam
can someone explain to me where superman returns stands in the saga???is it the sequel to 1&2 or is it a sequel of the 4th one...explanation plz

It's a continuation of what happened after II. From here on, we're going to act like III (misguided effort) and IV (just terrible) never happened. And though Supes will have been absent from Earth for roughly 5 years, the world when he comes back will not look like the 1980's, but now. Just suspend your disbelief.

redcaped
If you look close on Nuclear Man you will find a similarity from the texture of the costume. That's what I was thinking.

meep-meep
Once again, your criticism shows you to have your head up your ass - again. roll eyes (sarcastic)

This is not a remake of Superman: The Movie. It is a sequel, a continuation. Making another Superman film does not count as a remake. All filmmakers every do is take the basic elements and form their own story. It is not like trying to redo a completely original movie or novel. You could say that this is an unneccessary sequel, but I don't agree with that. 19 years - an entire generation has never seen Superman on the big screen. Every generation deserves the chance to see mass fictional icons on the screen - Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, plays by Shakespeare. Characters from comic books fall into that category too.

Ands what exactly did this (or any) generation do to deserve it? Does watching hours and hours of watching MTV count?

meep-meep
Today I bought my \S/ shirt...same from the movie not the flat one. Now I'm ready for the movie and I'm also working out that is why I post much less now!

I may be disciplined for this but you sir are officically a bonafide dork. I'm not that much better thoufgh since I'm posting on a Superman returns thread.

roughrider
Originally posted by meep-meep
Ands what exactly did this (or any) generation do to deserve it? Does watching hours and hours of watching MTV count?

Yeah these youngins' today, with their short attention span...

I'll give them a chance, though. stick out tongue

roughrider
If you look close on Nuclear Man you will find a similarity from the texture of the costume. That's what I was thinking.

Superman IV was a bomb the fans want to forget. The filmmakers wouldn't possibly want to tie into that film in any way. You're too far out on a limb, there.

redcaped
There is something with the costumes from part 4 and the new movie. Call me dork but I'm the star of the show.

redcaped
C'mon, keep posting after me. I don't think "they" really meant it by calling me that...kidding stuff. Tomorrow is X3, not really good for me but I'll go anyway for the SR trailer.

superkronick92
wtf? the 2005 one stuck and was aawful.if anything,the 76 version was far better than that crapfest 2005 version.
thumb down I agree since my dad directed the second unit of the 76 version Happy Dance

MrHeavySilence
Man, this movie is just not going to sell that well. I'd expect something like a 40 million gross over the weekend of this movie's release. The movie trailers aren't "amazing" or awe-inspiring; it seems more like a 100 million budget movie than a 200 million one. The trailers really dissapointed me, but I know it's going to be a fantastic movie. Its just not going to do that well, gross-wise. Not even sure if this movie would sell past 100 million dollars at the box office.

redcaped
I saw the new trailer just like I said I would. Nothing that makes me switch my mind but the poster from the movie just came in the mail wrapped in paper with a printed picture of Isaac Newton, 1642-1727...What was that for?! My life is weird.

botcherby

why are you being an obvious prick. grow up

redcaped
The soundtrack which is a score actually comes from Rhino on June...I mean this month the 27th! One hour of new score-rest is old Williams's

Mindship
Just saw another Superman Returns trailer.
GodDAMN, this movie is startin' to look good!

snoopdogg
I saw the trailer that was on during Deal or no Deal on monday night.

This movie is gonna be pretty good.

MattDay
Originally posted by MrHeavySilence
Man, this movie is just not going to sell that well. I'd expect something like a 40 million gross over the weekend of this movie's release. The movie trailers aren't "amazing" or awe-inspiring; it seems more like a 100 million budget movie than a 200 million one. The trailers really dissapointed me, but I know it's going to be a fantastic movie. Its just not going to do that well, gross-wise. Not even sure if this movie would sell past 100 million dollars at the box office.

that's your opinion forumer and your wrong, because it looks more impressive than the spiderman and spiderman 2 trailers, uh hum, ouch! YEA you know it! Superman is back baby!

Validus
Originally posted by MrHeavySilence
Come on now buddy. If the lame ass Hulk movie can make 132 million Superman is easily going to reach that mark.

fini
God it had better be good.
Up to this day I still love the Superman movie

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Validus
Come on now buddy. If the lame ass Hulk movie can make 132 million Superman is easily going to reach that mark.

true.good point.However I kinda tend to agree with him on his prediction of the box office gross,I said kinda which means I think its safe to say it will make over a 100 million.Like you said if that lame ass Hulk movie can do so,then superman will easily make that much.But I tend to agree with him that it will be lucky if it makes over 200 million because they are doing the same thing with this movie that they did with Batman Begins.Batman Begins was poorly promoted,many people did not know that film was released until it came out which had something to do with it only making a little over 200 million.Where with Batman 89,a much inferiour film to Begins,made much more money at the box office and a big factor in that was unlike Begins,it very well promoted with promotions that started a year before the film was released.Since this film has been poorly promoted like Batman Begins was,I see it suffering the same fate at the box office that Begins did.

MattDay
maybe, but this film like the x men film will get coverage from sky news and things like that a week before its released, and by then every living soul will know it's around... u do know how much media attention bringing back the greatest hero will have? if you dont than i'll be keeping my eye on ya!

Mr Parker
well so far the attention just hasnt been there.Other than movie trailers thats been it.with batman 89 and the spiderman movies,you had posters in the theaters a year before its release and you could not turn on the tv without seeing a commercial tie in to it like pepsi cola burger king,ect or go to any mall without seeing all kinds of toys promoting the movie or to a fast food resteraunt or grocery store.none of that is going on with superman returns.

MattDay
give it time parker my man, they will, i was just looking at the stuff their going to release, and in asnwer to tie ins with big companies, mcdonalds look like they are going to do something with superman, not sure what else mite do tie ins with superman but that much i do know buddy, i think he'll better the box office gross of spiderman 1, i can feel that buzz already! just wait...

Draco69
For heaven's sake, it's SUPERMAN. Even your grandmother is going to waddle out of her retirement home to see the damn movie.

MattDay
my nan would of loved to have seen this film but she passed away 2 years before it would come out... she's gona miss one hell of a film, god bless ya nan x

Mr Parker
give it time parker my man, they will, i was just looking at the stuff their going to release, and in asnwer to tie ins with big companies, mcdonalds look like they are going to do something with superman, not sure what else mite do tie ins with superman but that much i do know buddy, i think he'll better the box office gross of spiderman 1, i can feel that buzz already! just wait...

okay I'll wait and see what happens then if anything changes.

Validus
true.good point.However I kinda tend to agree with him on his prediction of the box office gross,I said kinda which means I think its safe to say it will make over a 100 million.Like you said if that lame ass Hulk movie can do so,then superman will easily make that much.But I tend to agree with him that it will be lucky if it makes over 200 million because they are doing the same thing with this movie that they did with Batman Begins.Batman Begins was poorly promoted,many people did not know that film was released until it came out which had something to do with it only making a little over 200 million.Where with Batman 89,a much inferiour film to Begins,made much more money at the box office and a big factor in that was unlike Begins,it very well promoted with promotions that started a year before the film was released.Since this film has been poorly promoted like Batman Begins was,I see it suffering the same fate at the box office that Begins did.
200 million isn't anything to scoff at. For Batman Begins, a movie that had to follow up the awful Batman & Robin, 200 million is a damn miracle. Plus, not many movies are breaking records these days. X-Men 3 had a huge 100 million dollar opening and then dropped like a rock the next weekend.

I pretty much agree with Draco. It's Superman and everyone wants to see Reeves follow up take a shot at the role. I think the opening will be huge. The rest depends on word of mouth.

WrathfulDwarf
Did you see it?

Xam
its pretty good,n i wasent a superman fan,now i like superman,i think it will make 230 milion TOPS if not less

EDIT: espesially with the coming of pirates 2

The Pict

isn't spider man the greatest comic book movie ever? its one of the highest grossing movies of all time i am sure.

Ok its 6th in terms of gross income

roughrider
Originally posted by botcherby
why are you being an obvious prick. grow up

I am grown up, junior.
The thread starter - and many other younglings on this board - should learn to think and check their facts, before starting threads and posting half-baked opinions.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by The Pict
isn't spider man the greatest comic book movie ever? its one of the highest grossing movies of all time i am sure.

Ok its 6th in terms of gross income

please enough with that laughable logic that because a movie made so much money at the box office its a great film. thumb down

The Pict
please enough with that laughable logic that because a movie made so much money at the box office its a great film. thumb down

"laughable logic" huh?

it made so much money because many people went to see, a lot of the time more than once. and why did people go to see it? cos its a great film.

here's some more simple logic:

great films = successful
bad films = unsuccessful (e.g. a flop)

bakerboy
Well, im agree with my friend mr parker about this superman returns film. It looks pretty good, i will go to see it next wenesday in my country and i will post my review of it, but it looks pretty good. I think that superman 1 is the best comic book movie ever, with batman begins and sin city. But i think that superman returns could be as one of the best superheroe movies ever.

But i desagree about king kong, i loved the original king kong, i hated the 1976 remake, but i loved too the 2005 remake, it was pretty good, worse than the original, but a pretty good movie.

roughrider

I second that.

Personally, I thought the first Spider Man was OK & the second was a classic, but there is no strict relationship between box office take and quality. Great films get overlooked many times the first time they come out - The Wizard Of Oz, Citizen Kane, Raging Bull - while others get freakishly lucky. Titanic - people around the world lost their minds for six months; within two years no one could bear to sit through it again.

who?-kid
Originally posted by The Pict
here's some more simple logic:

great films = successful
bad films = unsuccessful (e.g. a flop)
I agree. It's very simple logic confused

bakerboy
So, keeping that supposed logic, citizen kane is a bad film.

WrathfulDwarf
Well, did you see it Mr Parker?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.