Heat OR Collateral

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dusty
Which is the better film? Give reasons supporting your opinion. I'd like to read them.

http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/8934/heatvs2wm.png

BackFire
I like Collateral more.

I thought Heat was too long for its own good, Collateral was just more engaging to me, better character interaction and a more intriguing story.

SnakeEyes
Same ^

Tired Hiker
Hmmm, there is something about Heat that I really liked. The tone of it is almost dreamlike, where Collateral was more in your face with Tom Cruise all up in your grill busting ass left and right. I've seen Heat a bunch of times, and Collateral only once. I like both movies, but I'm going to have to go with Heat.

Dusty
I feel that Al pacino did the best of both films. Very nicely done I loved watching his character. But 'Collateral' wins it for me, Tom Cruise was kick-ass, and the movie itself had good length as apposed to 'Heat'. 'Heat' was also very good. But several things happened that didn't make sense to me, or could have just left out certain parts.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Man, Michael Mann makes marvelous movies. I love all of his films.

It's tough to choose between Heat and Collateral because they are both exceptional, but at a push I'd dry hump Collateral a few more times than I would Heat.

Like Backfire said, Heat is a little too long. That's its only bad point, and it's not even that substantial. As for Collateral, it plays like a dream on the edge of a nightmare. The scene when the wolves cross the road in front of their car is one of my favorite scenes of all-time. In the absurdity of their night, that scene stands like a frozen moment when nature upstages them all. The fact that this moment is accompanied by one of my favorite songs ('Shadow Of The Sun') makes it pretty hard to beat in my book. Funnily enough, another of my favorite scenes is in Mann's Last Of The Mohicans, when they are running along the mountain ridge...

Anyway, I've spoken enough shit for one post, so I shall finish.

BackFire
That wolf scene is always talked about, and people always come up with different meanings that they took away from it. Always interesting to hear about peoples unique interpretations of scenes like that.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, it's a fantastic scene. What's your take on it?

Myth
Loved Heat, hated Collateral. Not enough time to explain, simple as that.

WrathfulDwarf
Heat

Al Pacino and Deniro tops Cruise any day...anytime.

Deathblow
Although I liked Collateral, and although even as a loyal member of the anti-Cruise club, I thought he was very good in it, Heat is a far superior movie. I don't think it's too long, it takes just as much time as is needed to burn the characters from both sides of the law into your conciousness, so when the final shootout comes around, you really do care what happens. And of course, there's the Pacino/De Niro onscreen meeting, which hyped up as it is, remains a truly electrifying moment in cinematic history.

Collateral also has a certain degree of that Crash/Traffic style Oscar-friendly glossiness that I despise, aesthetically that is, which is a minor put off.

BackFire
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, it's a fantastic scene. What's your take on it?

Well, I thought it was just a symbol of them, two creatures lost in a strange and unfamiliar setting, one blindly leading the other through the unknown.

Dusty
Originally posted by Deathblow
And of course, there's the Pacino/De Niro onscreen meeting, which hyped up as it is, remains a truly electrifying moment in cinematic history..

Oh, of corse. The ending was so electrifying and literally 'aweseome'!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by BackFire
Well, I thought it was just a symbol of them, two creatures lost in a strange and unfamiliar setting, one blindly leading the other through the unknown.

Nice. I like it.

Sidenote to Dusty: A physical scene cannot be 'literally awesome', as it is a contradiction of terms.

Tired Hiker
I don't remember the wolf scene in Collateral. I must have gone and taken a big ol' fat hanging dump during that part. I'll have to go rent it now.

Dusty
Sidenote to Dusty: A physical scene cannot be 'literally awesome', as it is a contradiction of terms.

When someone says 'Awesome!', It is usually intended to describe the the movie's greatness itself. The way I intend the word to be used, is to descibe the ending of the film actually leaving me in Awe.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Sure, but you said 'literally awesome'. The figurative use of 'Literally' is the part that doesn't make sense.

(I'm very pedantic when it comes to this)

Dusty
Sure, but you said 'literally awesome'. The figurative use of 'Literally' is the part that doesn't make sense.

(I'm very pedantic when it comes to this)

I can tell. stick out tongue

systemshock2
Of the two great movies, definitely HEAT. There's just something so hypnotic about that movie. Even though it's three hours long I never feel it. Some of the best character developments I've ever seen too. It almost borders on voyeurism on how much we delve into their lives. Even down to Natalie Portman's character, which was on for around two minutes, touches us. And with Neil McCauley (De Niro) and Vincent Hanna (Pacino) as the two main characters, those are certainly lives that are absolutely riveting to watch.
And the city of Los Angeles itself becomes its own character too. How I love the beautiful scenery the character interact in. One of my favorite backdrops is when De Niro is talking with Jon Voight at the garage parking lot. Just look at the way the buildings, the evening sun, and the parking lights look. Incredible. Another great looking scene is the final shootout at the airport. Beautiful to look at and wonderfully shot.
I heard there's now a HEAT game that's going to be produced. I wonder how faithful the gamemakers are going to be when it comes to the locations used in the film.

wonner
They're equal... both not very good

Darth Vicious
Ill go for HEAT. I think Deniro and Pacino were great in this movie and when they meet for coffee was a classic movie moment and the honor between them was simply brilliant. I liked Collateral but didnt care too much for it after seeing it a couple of times, Heat ive seen countless times. While Heat is kinda long u dont really care because u r soo into the movie that u dont realize how much time has gone by, at least in my case.

Silverback
Just for having one of the greatest shoot out scenes ever I pick Heat.

dills
Hmmmmmm. That's a good one. My first tendency was to scream out, "Heat, duh!" But, then it hit me, Collateral was pretty damn good too. Hmmmmmm.

*blurts out*

"HEAT!"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.