The Official Best War/History Movie Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fatal Smoke
Place you're unimportant opinions here. mad confused stick out tongue

My faves:
Platoon
Deer Hunter
Saving Private Ryan
And most recently:
Jarhead

Alliance
I thought Gladiator was one of the best. Not accurate on the history, but it was GREAT historical fiction. They did an excellent job in my opinon.

Darth Macabre
One word: Glory.

Blaxican Style
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
One word: Glory.

a hyes, the wonderful movie that includes both Samuel L. jackson and that other black guy... Yes, the wonderfull movie were the black men finnaly get their chance for glory, and they all die. Great movie.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Blaxican Style
a hyes, the wonderful movie that includes both Samuel L. jackson and that other black guy... Yes, the wonderfull movie were the black men finnaly get their chance for glory, and they all die. Great movie.

Samuel L Jackson isn't in Glory....And why exactly am I a bad guy for liking it? (If I understood the sarcasm involved)

Blaxican Style
1. I never said you were a bad guy for liking it. hell, I loved the movie, made me cry to.

2. Im pretty sure he wa sin it, but I could be wrong. shaved black guys tend to look the same, especially when young.

Janus Marius
Glory, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, The Patriot, Rules of Engagement, All Quiet on the Western Front, etc. etc. etc.

Darth Macabre
All Quiet on the Western Front was good... I loved it.

Jonathan Mark
Originally posted by Janus Marius
Glory, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, The Patriot, Rules of Engagement, All Quiet on the Western Front, etc. etc. etc.

Eis
Originally posted by Alliance
I thought Gladiator was one of the best. Not accurate on the history, but it was GREAT historical fiction. They did an excellent job in my opinon.
I've always thought Gladiator is one of the most overrated movies ever.

My favorite ones are: Apocalypse Now, Platoon and The Deer Hunter. The Deer Hunter being number one.

Fatal Smoke
Originally posted by Janus Marius
Glory, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, The Patriot, Rules of Engagement, All Quiet on the Western Front, etc. etc. etc. Originally posted by Darth Macabre
All Quiet on the Western Front was good... I loved it.
FTW!?!?!? the book was great but that movie sucks ass. especially when they throw a grenade at the guys clipping the wire.

Also i'd like to add Born on the fourth of July.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Fatal Smoke
FTW!?!?!? the book was great but that movie sucks ass. especially when they throw a grenade at the guys clipping the wire.

Also i'd like to add Born on the fourth of July.

Yes, I admit, the book was better... But for some reason, the movie stroke a cord with me.

Swirly Girl
The Barn of Mr Slaton: The Fifth Dance of Vivec

Bardock42
Platoon for me. I just really liked that movie.

I haven't seen All Quiet on the Western Front, but the book was outstanding.

jaden101
come and see

Mr.Popcorn
my top picks..
Jarhead (Jake Gyllenhaal)
Tears of the Sun (Bruce Willis)
Black Hawk Down (Eric Bana)
Saving Pvt Ryan (TOm Hanks)
The Alamo (Billy Bob Thornton)
Troy (Brad Pitt)

Ya Krunk'd Floo
That's a weird list - and an even weirder thread title - but out of the choices given, I'd say 'Apocalypse Now' is the best by far.

Dusty
The Pianist
The Good, the Bad, and the ugly (not your typical war film)
Full metal Jacket
The Deer Hunter
Platoon
Saints and Soldiers
Spartacus

Flammable Fun
I heard Red Violin was good... I need to see it.

BackFire
Paths of Glory beats out all of those films, IMO.

Out of the films listed, I'd say either FMJ or Platoon, I love both.

BlackSunshine
Full Metal Jacket

Koenig
DAS BOOT (THE BOAT) & DOWNFALL

Dusty
Originally posted by Flammable Fun
I heard Red Violin was good... I need to see it.

It was very good. But it doesn't qualify as a War Film.

Rapscallion
Saving Private Ryan bye a long shot. But the Deer Hunter and Platoon were also very good. I liked Apocalypse Now alot, but it is a tad over-rated. We were soldiers, Full metal Jacket, and The Thin Red Line have no place on that list. OK, maybe Full Metal Jacket, but definitely not the Thin Red Line.

ambre93
Originally posted by Blaxican Style
1. I never said you were a bad guy for liking it. hell, I loved the movie, made me cry to.

2. Im pretty sure he wa sin it, but I could be wrong. shaved black guys tend to look the same, especially when young. my favorite war movie would be pearl harbor the violnce the killing the sinking the lady getting pragnet from danny. it was booty
2x4 booty laughing out loud

systemshock2
I personally enjoy war movies that take a particular interest in the psychological aspects of a war on its soldiers. With that in mind:

Full Metal Jacket: with its amazing training sequence, which still remains powerful.

The Thin Red Line: I don't think there's been a better film that delves into how war effects a soldier. A lot of people dismiss it because of its tone poems and whatnot, but to me it remains my favorite. Beautifully written, acted, and directed.

Spartan005
I'm not really into war movies that much, but I'd definetely have to go with Saving Private Ryan.... that movie's amazing

Tptmanno1
I disliked Glory. I thought the point it wanted to make about equality diluted the story and took too much of a front line message.

Apocolypse Now is one of my favorite movies ever. The imagery, the journey into self. Marlon Brando.... yea...

Saving Private Ryan is good for its realism of WW2.

Jarhead is an enjoyable anti-war(not as in war is bad, but as in a totally different sort of war movie) movie.

Rapscallion
Originally posted by systemshock2
I personally enjoy war movies that take a particular interest in the psychological aspects of a war on its soldiers. With that in mind:

Full Metal Jacket: with its amazing training sequence, which still remains powerful.

The Thin Red Line: I don't think there's been a better film that delves into how war effects a soldier. A lot of people dismiss it because of its tone poems and whatnot, but to me it remains my favorite. Beautifully written, acted, and directed.

I admit the training scenes in Full Metal Jacket were very good, but great, and the suicide scene was excellent, but after they actually go to Viet nam, the film looses its way. And after its over one has to ask"so what's the point?" i felt

As for thin Red Line, it was well acted, but the characters weren't very compelling. And i strongly disagree that it delves so deeply into war's effect on soldiers. The Deer Hunter was the best in that category, with Born on the Fourth of July a close second. Apocalypse Now was also descent in that in portryaing soldiers' reactions to being at war and Saving Private Ry an did an excellent job with showing how soldiers can become completely traumatized by combat and the horror of fighting in a war. Thin Red Line covered that material a bit, but not as well as the other films mentioned.

Both film sare good and original, but in my opinion aren't comparable to some of the other war films out there.

Bloigen
Black Hawk Down

Just action, no romance crap. Just action.

dirty harry
I WAS A MARINE AND JARHEAD IS ONE OF THE WORST WAR MOVIES OF ALL TIME TRUST ME ASK ANY OTHER MARINE

Rapscallion
Originally posted by dirty harry
I WAS A MARINE AND JARHEAD IS ONE OF THE WORST WAR MOVIES OF ALL TIME TRUST ME ASK ANY OTHER MARINE

I agree, but i'm not half as credible as you, since I have never been in the armed forces. It seems like a bad story to tell. It is hard to feel sorry for people who betch about not getting any combat. I would think that they would be thankful that they wouldn't have tofight. But what do i know.

dirty harry
the marine who wrote the book anthony swaford(sp) went through the same stuff any grunt in the marines geos through. i read the book and most of my buddies did to. some of what he wrote was true but most of it was BS. he sounded like a drama queen.

Tallis
Originally posted by Dusty
It was very good. But it doesn't qualify as a War Film.

True I don't remember seeing any war scenes in that movie, if you count the part where it's in China but their really was'nt a battle or anything like that.

Dr. Zaius
"Das Boot" is the greatest WWII movie ever made and the best war movie in general.

Out of the ones listed i'd definetly go with Platoon, William Dafoe was awesome in that...followed by Apocalypse now

Overall though my list is:

Platoon
Troy
Jarhead
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Platoon
Jarhead/Full Metal Jacket (basically the same exact movies)
Apocalypse Now

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.