The ORIGINAL Star Wars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wolfie
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14373

Basically, for a limited time at the end of 2006, the original trilogy will be available in three individual 2 disc editions.

That's right, the originals. They will include the SE's but the big seller is that the untampered versions will finally be on DVD.

C-Dic
About ****ing time. I still don't like Lucas as a person, but I do now respect him a little more for finally caving.

Nevermind
That's awesome. F*ck, now I don't know what to get. What do you guys reckon? Should I get this and wait for the new trilogy to come out or should I wait for a possible box set with all the movies in it?

C-Dic
Get the 2 disc releases in September. I have a feeling, given the limited run, they won't be included in anything anytime soon.

Nevermind
Originally posted by C-Dic
Get the 2 disc releases in September. I have a feeling, given the limited run, they won't be included in anything anytime soon.

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Wolfie
Hmmm.... I was actually thinking the same thing Nevermind was. It's only a matter of time before a box set is released of the original trilogy. Then a box set of all six movies.

Dusty
Sweet news!

WrathfulDwarf
Nope, this isn't the previous trilogy box set....that's right! It's the one we've been waiting for!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060504/en_usatoday/starwarsgoesbacktobasics

HAN SOLO SHOT FIRST!

C-Dic
Originally posted by Wolfie
Hmmm.... I was actually thinking the same thing Nevermind was. It's only a matter of time before a box set is released of the original trilogy. Then a box set of all six movies.

On September 12th, the 2 disc OT releases are being released individually, only for 3 months, and probably for a reason. A box set of all the movies is highly unlikely, because that means that it would actually include NINE movies, and given most everyone owns them in some capacity, it wouldn't sell.

Impediment
About goddamn time. I can't wait for these to release. I think the biggest insult of the "revised" versions was when Lucas replaced Sebastian Shaw at the end of "Jedi" with Hayden Christiansen as Anakin's force persona.

Scarecrow756
I am just sticking put to my OT boxset thank you very much.

WrathfulDwarf
George Lucas is the man we love and hate.

Nevermind
We're getting this soon. Which is why I'm a bit skeptic with it's release here. Will the 2-disc editions of the movies reach my shores? Or am I probably going to have to import them?

Mišt
Originally posted by Nevermind
We're getting this soon. Which is why I'm a bit skeptic with it's release here. Will the 2-disc editions of the movies reach my shores? Or am I probably going to have to import them?

Damn, thats actually pretty shit. "Hey, lets whore more money by releasing the EXACT SAME THING WE DID 2 YEARS AGO, only this time we'll put it in a TIN! OMG! GET IT NOW!"

Ah, pass and gimme the goddamn originals already.

Solo
Mother ****er. That just pisses me off after purchasing the box set.

C-Dic
It'll be two years after the OT box set dropped, and I got it on the night it was released, so I can't complain. That said, I plan on buying the new set, selling the 3 individual films, and keeping the bonus disc.

Mišt
It'll be two years after the OT box set dropped, and I got it on the night it was released, so I can't complain. That said, I plan on buying the new set, selling the 3 individual films, and keeping the bonus disc.

laughing out loud My thoughts exactly.

Nevermind
Originally posted by Impediment
About goddamn time. I can't wait for these to release. I think the biggest insult of the "revised" versions was when Lucas replaced Sebastian Shaw at the end of "Jedi" with Hayden Christiansen as Anakin's force persona.

F*ck, get out, they didn't do that! I haven't seen the revised versions, that's f*cking insane.

Dusty
Originally posted by Nevermind
F*ck, get out, they didn't do that! I haven't seen the revised versions, that's f*cking insane.

Sadly, yes. It happens. sad

Ushgarak
It all seems a lot of fuss just to get some inferior print quality versions of the films we already have, just so Han can shoot first.

C-Dic
There were A LOT of edits to the OT that people aren't aware of. Scenes, dialogue, and much more. Besides, there's no way that the real OT wouldn't go through the same clean up process as the other set.

BTW, it made perfect sense to have Hayden Christensen in as a Jedi Spirit at the end of ROTJ. I don't know why fanboys are so up in arms over it.

Dusty
I used to have a site in my favorites that pointed out the changes. Like the singer in Jabba's Palace, the Color of the Sabers, the hologram of the emporer, the jedi spirit, etc.

Wolfie
BTW, it made perfect sense to have Hayden Christensen in as a Jedi Spirit at the end of ROTJ. I don't know why fanboys are so up in arms over it.
Lucas is the only director (that I'm aware of, prove me if I'm wrong) that continues to change his movies well after they're made. The other scenes added to the OT I didn't mind so much. Hey, that's what a director's cut is. But putting Christensen in a movie that was made when he was two years old, no.

Your movies are finished, George. Stop working on them.

C-Dic
But putting Christensen in a movie that was made when he was two years old, no.

Alls I can say is that it made sense, and while I'm a purist in every sense of the word, a 4 second shot of Hayden Christensen replacing Sebastian Shaw is absolutely NOTHING to get worked over about.

But, we're getting "Star Wars" the way it was, not necessarily the way it was ever intended, but the way we all want to remember it. Flaws and all.

Wolfie
It makes sense for the story, sure. But you can't go back in time and change stuff, as you shouldn't go back and change movies.

Ushgarak
There were A LOT of edits to the OT that people aren't aware of. Scenes, dialogue, and much more. Besides, there's no way that the real OT wouldn't go through the same clean up process as the other set.

Quote:

---

"The original films' video quality will not match up to that of the restored versions. "It is state of the art, as of 1993, and that's not as good as state of the art 2006," Ward says."

---

Most of the edits weren't of great relevance. The only one people REALLY care enough about to have demanded this so vigorously is the Han thing. So as I say, it's a lot of effort just to get a crapper print version with that in. I guess that is fans for you.

WrathfulDwarf
It may not be just the Han thing. If these versions exclude that pointless singing alien dancer from Jabba's place and Jar Jar Binks in ROTJ during the celebration....I say it's all good.

Wolfie
I didn't care for the argument between Han and Jabba in A New Hope much either.

Ushgarak
I'm unconvinced of the need to shell out on a new copy of the films just to exclude a two second shot of Naboo at the end of ROTJ.

It really, really is the Han thing that has driven this.

C-Dic
There are tons of instances, aside from Han. Dialogue went changed, scenes ommited, the score was tinkered with in pivotal moments. I'd be glad to source them all later tonight.

...and they also said that these didn't even exist, so I take that with a grain of salt, when in fact, the laserdisc transfers are just as good as regular DVD to begin with. And anyone else that beliefs these won't get an upgrade just needs to look at the couple of excised scenes from "Empire of Dreams", how cleaned up they were, which weren't even in the films, then tell me that.

This has been planned for a long, long time. What's driven this is having the actual theatrical versions on DVD.

BackFire
Nice to hear these are finally coming out, should shut some of the fanboys up for a while. I won't be buying them though, just another lazy way Lucas is trying to squeeze all the money possible out of his fans.

C-Dic
You know, that's just not fair. The world is finally being offered legitimate, original theatrical versions of "Star Wars", the biggest Sci Fi franchise ever, and now everyone just sees it as an appeasement? There have been plenty of people that have held off on the other releases in anticipation of these.

I don't see what's so wrong in being a purist? George Lucas is a capitalist, granted, but the people that enjoy his older films aren't mindless drones that buy into everything he puts the namesake on. "Star Wars", the ORIGINAL "Star Wars" is finally being made available after 30 years, and people are excited for it. He didn't even want to admit to these things being still existing, and to have held out for this long, his convictions that the theatrical versions weren't what he wanted released must have been pretty damn strong, given he could have cashed in a long time ago, before the general public's opinion of his soured.

..and as promised, here are the instances that are expected to be restored on the theatrical editions;

Additions and Ommissions in the Star Wars OT

BackFire
I think that's what Lucas see's them as, just a way to make more money off of his fans. Nothing against the fans, I understand why they want these films out, but anyone who bought the other trilogy on DVD and is still going to now buy this version is just giving the man what he wants. He wanted to trick people into buying the other trilogy using the "the old versions don't exist" as their excuse. Now that everyone has the new versions, he's trying to cash in and get all of his hardcore fans to now buy this trilogy set as well. I think it's just a real shitty thing he's doing, and I'm very glad I don't give a shit about the original versions, I'm perfectly happy with the set I have now. It's my opinion that the people who are buying this set after buying the other set ARE mindless drones just sucking up every Star Wars release there is. However, the people who held out and didn't buy the other set did a smart thing if they care, and I'm glad they're now going to get the versions they love.

Tired Hiker
I'm just going to steal the set from Target.

BackFire
Do it, fight the system.

Wolfie
There have been plenty of people that have held off on the other releases in anticipation of these.
Myself included. Though I'm not a big fan. If I plan to buy the DVDs, I should go ahead and get these. We'll see when the time comes.

Ushgarak
I have no idea of the relevance of the link you put there, C-Dic. I dare say I am a bigger fan than you and I know every single change perfectly. It doesn't matter a damn. My point is, if there hadn't been such an outcry about Han, this would not have happened. It IS simple appeasment. GL hasn't changed his mind at all about what the real films are; he has simply been persuaded that releasing them is a worthwhile thing to do. And why? Because there has been a sustained fan campaign based entirely around Greedo shooting first.

I cannot think of one single reason why they would lie about the print quality being worse. Trying to deny that now is silly. The '93' comment would refer to the last release before the Special Edition, which means it is before the print was cleaned up.

C-Dic
Originally posted by Ushgarak

I cannot think of one single reason why they would lie about the print quality being worse. Trying to deny that now is silly. The '93' comment would refer to the last release before the Special Edition, which means it is before the print was cleaned up.

Actually, the original prints were transferred to HD in the 90's to facilitate the SEs, which entailed a lot of digital restoration, meaning Lucasfilm can either use the HD transfer, or return to an interpositive made during the '93 restorations. They have an excellent set of prints of the movie, one that rivals the ones we saw 2 years ago.

Kind of sad when fans know more about the state of the original releases than his own PR yesmen.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by BackFire
I think that's what Lucas see's them as, just a way to make more money off of his fans. Nothing against the fans, I understand why they want these films out, but anyone who bought the other trilogy on DVD and is still going to now buy this version is just giving the man what he wants. He wanted to trick people into buying the other trilogy using the "the old versions don't exist" as their excuse. Now that everyone has the new versions, he's trying to cash in and get all of his hardcore fans to now buy this trilogy set as well. I think it's just a real shitty thing he's doing, and I'm very glad I don't give a shit about the original versions, I'm perfectly happy with the set I have now. It's my opinion that the people who are buying this set after buying the other set ARE mindless drones just sucking up every Star Wars release there is. However, the people who held out and didn't buy the other set did a smart thing if they care, and I'm glad they're now going to get the versions they love.

If I known that he was going to pull this little trick I wouldn't have bought that set from two years ago. As much as I hate to spend another dime on the SW franchise....I'm gonna have to do it for this set. The original Star Wars is among my top ten favorite films. It's a must have for me. The money I could have spend it on Episode II, and III (which I didn't even bother buying the DVD) will be spent on this new DVD set. Add to that the money I'm going to get from Gamestop when I sell them the box set from 2 years ago. I might lose a few dollars in the process but in the end I getting what I want....finally.

I didn't care for the argument between Han and Jabba in A New Hope much either.

Neither did I...is just there for nothing. Didn't change the story nor did it make it more interesting. It was just a pointless scene.

Scarecrow756
it made perfect sense to have Hayden Christensen in as a Jedi Spirit at the end of ROTJ. I don't know why fanboys are so up in arms over it.

I don`t get it either!!!!!!!!!!

Impediment
it made perfect sense to have Hayden Christensen in as a Jedi Spirit at the end of ROTJ. I don't know why fanboys are so up in arms over it.

Because Obi Wan and Yoda still looked the same as they did when they died: old. Why have Obi Wan and Yoda look exactly the same, but change an old Anakin (Shaw) into a young Anakin (Christiansen)? I'll tell you why: promotion. Plain and simple promotion of Episode II and III. It's one thing, IMO, to go back and touch up old scenes with new technology and add a little flair, but to totally remove an actor from the scene and add a new one? Thats just plain insulting, if you ask me.

redcaped
My white flag. As much as I love the old trilogy it has become my enemy so I got rid. Too many flaws whether they make it better or not...I quit.

Nevermind
I went into a DVD store today to find out if these versions were being released here etc. Upon finding out that they are I also found out that there is also a possible Star Wars boxset coming out next year. Yet, due to the fact that these are strictly limited release I doubt they'll be included. I just thought I'd say that. Personally, I'm going for these limited release ones. Like mentioned before, I've held out too long, I'm going to try and grab these all on first day.

coolmovies
There might be a saga box set comming out next year

Nevermind
Originally posted by coolmovies
There might be a saga box set comming out next year

If you bothered to read the message directly above you, you'd see that I mentioned that.

coolmovies
sorry mate

Wolfie
Here's a nice review of the A New Hope DVD.

It looks like all they did with a lot of scenes was darken it until you couldn't see the fuzzy edges anymore.

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope2.html

coolmovies
The pic quilety looks good .

C-Dic
The top pics are of the Laserdfisc proted version, and of course they won't look as nice. I'm still getting them. I don't have the bootlegs, and I do have an upconverting DVD player that will display it at better than usual PQ.

Ushgarak
Still hardly full DVD quality, are they? Despite yoyur attempts to refute the statement earlier, what I said about the print quality was true.

coolmovies
so who brought them?

WrathfulDwarf
I'm planning on getting them. However, keep in mind that there is HUGE possibility both Trilogies might be released on HD DVD or Blu-ray. Which really makes me think twice about getting them this tuesday.

coolmovies
Theys are expensive for a letter box format ! 45 pounds for all 3

willman
im only going to get them because they have the original cinema versions as well and i want to compare.

coolmovies
They have only tomorrow then its back to GL

jon84
Meh... it's a freaking marketing ploy to get more people to buy the 04 special edition DVDs. I bet you can still find the Limited Editions in stores, after Dec 31. If not, you can probably still buy them online. I am glad i didn't buy the 2004 boxset, and waited for this release. Now all we need is for Lucas to finally bring out the ultimate SW saga collection. smile

Wolfie
I doubt the DVDs will be pulled, just discontinued.

coolmovies
They are still selling them !!!!!

mith fox
dvds 4 life

Wolfie
Originally posted by coolmovies
They are still selling them !!!!!
That's not surpising. The store bought them. The store has the right to sell them until there are none left.

coolmovies
they are not selling which means they stay in stock for longer . They also have the tin set

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.