Unaltered OT to be released on DVD!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AstroFan
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14373

chinabing
I saw it on the SW site! I have the bootlegs of the laserdics, but these will be nice.

I wonder if they'll include the "Close the blast doors" line?!

Restoring is fine and good. Changing things is another thing altogether, I'm glad we're getting the choice. www.originaltrilogy.com didn't even have anything on it yet!

DeVi| D0do
They better bloody fix the saber FX is all I'll say...

LanceWindu
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
They better bloody fix the saber FX is all I'll say...

NO! That goes against them being unaltered!

DeVi| D0do
No, I mean in the 2004 versions, not the original cuts...

LanceWindu
No, I mean in the 2004 versions, not the original cuts...

Oh...well yeah. But they probably won't.

Ushgarak
Yes, I doubt it, because then they would be the '06 versions, really.

DeVi| D0do
I think it would be incredibly foolish for them NOT to fix them... I doubt sloppiness is something LFL or the remastering company want to be known for. And that's exactly how it looks... sloppy.

Also, the paragraph...

See the title crawl to "Star Wars" before it was known as "Episode IV"; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

...has been taken off the OS article on it... wonder if that means they wont truly be the 'original unaltered' versions, but the 1993 remasters...

badabing
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060504/en_usatoday/starwarsgoesbacktobasics

OB1-adobe
Now everybody can shut the F Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Razielim
Finally, we can own the greatest Star Wars material on DVD. . .

But meh, I already have the three preserved on VHS.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Now everybody can shut the F Up!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't count on it... Bitching is what Star Wars fanboys do best.

chinabing
This line from the usa today story:

"The original films' video quality will not match up to that of the restored versions. "It is state of the art, as of 1993, and that's not as good as state of the art 2006," Ward says."

So it sounds as if it's the 1993 version. The last "unaltered" versions were the 1995/6 VHS THX "faces" versions. But as any search will tell you there were lots of changes before that, the Threepio "allow the ship to leave," etc.

DarthMaul9123
what about young anakin as the ghostmaster at the end of ROTJ

chinabing
Wish you didn't have to purchase the Special Editions to get the normal movies.

sithsaber408

chinabing
See, restoring them is one thing, replacing things is another. If all he's doing is putting TUV (the unaltered versions, to make a new acronym), out on DVD, so what, really. If they're the 1995 THX versions, it'd be nice. If it's going to be mono sound, it'll stink on a home theater system.

How long til the next "blu lazer" or whatever thing on video is out, them we'll be clammoring for unaltered on that!

SnakeEyes
I really want to be able to travel about 30 years into the future just to see what version of the trilogy is being released at the time.

DeVi| D0do
I must say, although they are much (much) better than the 2004 DVD covers, the LE cover art is incredibly gay looking... I'm pretty sure the Darth Vader images on all three covers are from the Episode III promo material... and why the hell is Tarkin blue? *sigh* Sometimes I think Lucas is just teasing me...

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/8895/anh6kt5bg.th.jpg http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/2214/tesb5bj3pm.th.jpg http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/992/rotj0zj3dy.th.jpg

At least there are no lens flares...

Sans_Fi
He is blue because of this...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/Colt1138/sw4poster.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/Colt1138/sw5poster.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/Colt1138/sw6poster.jpg

And i dont really understand WHY they keep doing this lame artwork... It started with the re-edition of the special edition on VHS that had the SE posters with real photos...

And about this release, I think Lucasfilm has realised that without any new film of star wars in production, most fans dont even care anymore about star wars untill the TV series is out. This release is just something they kept in their pokets untill they didnt have nothing new to sell. (Obviously, if not they would have released it with the 2004 DVDs)

Isnt because the complaints on originaltrilogy.com, isnt because George Lucas realised that he should sell them... He WAS going to sell them, but at the apropiate time.

And you see how ofensive is how they sell them? "See Han shooting first!" "groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid"....

Didnt George Lucas said it was better Greedo Shooting first and all the new enhacements? why are they lying now? Suddenly is it better?

chinabing
originaltrilogy.com sez they are the letterbox versions, not anamorphic, and is pretty worked up about it. I think that's much ado about nothing.

EPIIIBITES
Star wars fan boys all over the net are goin' absolutely bananas on forums about this...maybe we here at KMC can show that we're able to handle this "catastrophic" development in a little more elevated manner.

First off, I believe the reports are accurate.

Thing is, Lucas doesn't have any intention of sprucing up the UOT...why would he? He wants his legacy to be what has been released in the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs...

...he doesn't want his legacy to include han shooting first, or that old ewok song, or a sarlac without a protruding mouth...or a wolf-man and hyena-man for that matter.

...and this will be the same legacy that will be carried down to the next video formats, be it HDdvd or Blu-ray and whatever comes after that...long after Lucas is gone.

...he doesn't want any traces of the UOT after this...this IS a favour for fans...but it seems that with the little care he's showing for this release he wants to put the UOT to death...can you all handle that? DEATH!

So it's over!

Let it go!

You're not gonna get a nice version of the UOT with bells and whistles in anamorphic and all that stuff.

Accept it!

Move on!

Seacrest out!

chinabing
The 1995 (faces) Laserdiscs sound very good actually. My DVD copy of those sound & look good too. Actually the Faces VHS widescreen are very good too with original sound, not the freaky DVD sounds on the 2004 DVDs.

We all know what the original trilogy looks like, but there were changes on those too from the birth of the VHS.

I'd like him to include the "close the blast doors" line on these DVDs, because without it, it's missing the set-up of the punchline. I'm sure wolfman & hyenaman'll be there, (I love those masks, they reminded me of the famous monsters of filmland, I love it that they were in Star Wars!)

Letterbox is fine, I don't particularly care about anamorphic.

Lucas can't please everyone. Now unless you were able to goto starwars.com and order your OT DVD as if it were Burger King:

"Ya, I'll take an Ep IV, Greedo shoots first, fixed lightsabers, & 'close the blast doors,' an ep V with the extended twin pod cloud cars, an Ep VI with the corrected green & red lightsabers in front of the emperor, to go."

chinabing
So could somebody who cares post an image of a letterbox image and a anamorphic image, so we can compare and contrast?

systemshock2
I still don't quite understand why anyone would want to pay more for an inferior product. Is it because of the nostalgia that it'll bring back, watching all the cheesy effects and listening to the cheaper stereo quality. Sorry, I guess my confusion comes from having the Special Edition copies as my first Star Wars viewing experience.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by systemshock2
I still don't quite understand why anyone would want to pay more for an inferior product. Is it because of the nostalgia that it'll bring back, watching all the cheesy effects and listening to the cheaper stereo quality. Sorry, I guess my confusion comes from having the Special Edition copies as my first Star Wars viewing experience.

I agree even though I grew up with the UOT I enjoy the SE much better (with the exception of Luke's saber on the Falcon.

I have said all along if you want to watch the movie with crappy sound and picture the way you remember it put in your VHS copy and shut the hell up. Now you are getting that on DVD and people still complain.

chinabing
Uh, stereo sound is not crappy sound, it still can be very good, it's just taste. I think the set'll be fine, you gets two movies in one package, both the old and new.

But please remember, I saw SW, Empire and Jedi in the middle 4th row in 70mm widescreen, and thus those UOT images are burned into my brain! Seeing the new stuff in the OT is like putting lipstick on the Mona Lisa.

I don't mind seeing "errors" in film, such as minor matte lines, it just reminds me that these are hand-crafted movies. The story is what's important. I never thought the special edition changes helped the movies one bit.

overlord
Don't count on it... Bitching is what Star Wars fanboys do best. WHAT!!! YOU ARE REFFERING TO ME ARENT YU?!!!! HO\/\/ DAR3 YU??!!!

But hey, a DVD set of the original shit sounds pretty tempting to me. Although I am a cheap bastard from Holland, I would actually consider buying a DVD set without all kinds of crazy Jar Jar, Gayden Christensen piece of crap.

OB1-adobe
I think its kinda funny how they are releasing them, and not restoring or anything,

GL is like "fine we want em the way they were.. here ya go... don't *****"

EPIIIBITES
Yeah, annoying...

But the ONLY Original Trilogy releases that any Star Wars fan should realy need in their collection is...

1)The Star Wars Trilogy Widescreen on DVD

2) and this (see pic)...

You have the definitive trilogy version (which is the last one) for the realist, and the original trilogy release (no thx, tweaked effects...nada) for the purists...

Why would anyone want anything in between...they're just works in progress!

Don't go out and buy this set...I mean how annoying...relasing them with the versions that just came out. Idiotic.

...but in a couple years from now, the HDDVD release of the ultimate boxset will be in my library.

As of yesterday i've stopped buying DVDs...it's all coming out on HD...they look great too...on an HDTV...wow!

overlord
I would also like a PT version with puppets and scales, that would be cool!
Everybody knows real stuff like puppets and scales look far better than CGI.

Sans_Fi
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20060607.jpg

Legion_of_Maul
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yes, I doubt it, because then they would be the '06 versions, really.
actually in 07 he's going to start remastering all the episodes, or so i've heard

adan
Is the release date in September or in December because I read that in the U.S. it would be in December?

Sin Harvest
Originally posted by AstroFan
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14373

About time! I can't wait!!

Jam-Jul_Lison
I can not wait for it to be released unaltered. I for one hated the last trilogy set released. I also did not care for the altered version before that either. Here are a list of altered stuff I hate. Greedo Shooting first, the change in music in jabba's palace, the change in music at the Ewok Village at the end of ROTJ, Haden being added in as Anakin's ghost at the end of ROTJ, the fireworks all over the galaxy at the in of ROTJ.

PVS
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Now everybody can shut the F Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amen brother!

coolmovies
ya only one or two weeks to go till it hits the stores

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.