"I am your Father." Most famous/shocking movie scene?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules
I have a feeling that it is, I mean honestly who could have seen it comin?

Apart from the actors and Lucas.

Swirly Girl
It's not hard to see it coming, when the psychic apparition of Darth Teras Kasi attacks Luke Skywalker with a large baton made out of wood and whilst simeltaeously kicking a mugger into a wall and giving him several fractures and a ruptured spleen, hits Shmi on the head with Cliegg's wooden leg whilst mouthing a rude word to Darth Vader, who gets offended and orders a battalion of storm troopers to violate his orifices, whilst simeltaeously curbstompting several little children into, guess what, a curb.

I didn't see it coming.

DarthMaul9123
hahah ....what

amity75
"Join me" was a more shocking line. When he told Luke he was his father I half expected him to follow it up with "sorry for being a bad dad son, let's go and throw a ball or fly a kite". But instead he tried to make Luke as evil as he was. Trying to make your kids evil is wicked beyond comprehension and this was the scene when Vader really let us know that he wasn't just a "Boo Hiss" pantomine villain.

Tangible God
IMO, the "I am your father " line was more shocking. Not to mention it's the one that is constantly used in parodies, spoofs and references.

Ushgarak
Heck, most of the actors didn't know either. David Prowse didn't know even after the scene was shot.

Sesse
Wasnt the on-scene sentence more like:

"Obi Wan killed ur father!"
"Nooooooo! Noooo! nooo!"

Ushgarak
The line was Obi-Wan. There seems to be some debate over whether it was Obi-Wan killed him or Obi-Wan WAS him.

coolmovies
I think Obi-Wan told luke that darth vader killed his father something like that .

JaehSkywalker
Obi did. It was his point of view, that darth vader, the bad anakin, killed the good anakin.

and i did see it coming. i saw EP. 3 before 5... big grin

overlord
Oh.. my.. God.. Who would do that?

steverules
A crazy person

Darth Kreiger
Darth = Pretty close to Dark
Vader = Translates into Father in Dutch, or at least I think it's Dutch

JaehSkywalker
i am just 13. SW-3 is basically the first SW i really understood, though i think i've watched 1 and 2 when i was younger. 4,5,6, not until when i finished 3. erm

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by JaehSkywalker
i am just 13. SW-3 is basically the first SW i really understood, though i think i've watched 1 and 2 when i was younger. 4,5,6, not until when i finished 3. erm

From seeing your previous comments I think you understand quite a lot about the saga!
You've got enough time left to see and understand them all.
By watching these movies over and over you'll learn more about them!

thumb up wink

JaehSkywalker
did and done. over 30 times already i think.. big grin

overlord
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Vader = Translates into Father in Dutch, or at least I think it's Dutch Sorry, Vader used to be nothing more than a general in the first rough draft so the name had nothing to do with father.

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by overlord
Sorry, Vader used to be nothing more than a general in the first rough draft so the name had nothing to do with father.

Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Vader = Translates into Father in Dutch, or at least I think it's Dutch

But he is right about Vader being Father in Dutch!!!!
Dark Lord of the Sith= Duistere Heer van de Sith
Names stay the same ofcourse, but I could translate Skywalker in>>>Luchtloper or/and Hemelwandelaar.

I could give you guys a quick course "SW in Dutch", if you want to..... smokin' laughing out loud

overlord
Damn, I am dutch as well but Lucas didn't think of father when he made up the name. It was just a cool name, he already used it for some general who was to blow up with the death star. Nothing to do with the father part they later on made up.

It is just a horrible coincidence and I hate all that "OH LOOK AT ME, I KNOW DUTCH!!!!" Lucas wasn't inspired by the dutch word for father. What moron would decide to derive cool names out of dutch anyway?

J.M FcThumbs-Up

Darth Kreiger
I think Lucas did know, all the Sith Names have some meaning, usually in another language.

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Cheers!!!!!!!
wink

Mr Parker
No I never saw it coming either.I asked my brother who is ten years older than me-he was 14 at that time when the movie came out,how fans reacted to it back then and yeah he said nobody ever saw it coming and neither did he.That back then,that was the biggest shocker of the decade because nobody expected it.What was really shocking to many fans back then who were old enough to see them in order when they first came out is they could not believe it when in Jedi, Vader really was his father.I couldnt either.Luckily I did watch them on tape in order when i first saw them unlike some other friends of mine I know who saw jedi first and I always figured that he wouldnt really be his father,that he was just saying that to try and trick him into joining.so yeah I never saw it coming either as well as most people back then didnt.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by coolmovies
I think Obi-Wan told luke that darth vader killed his father something like that .

uh yeah.Dude you must have only seen A NEW HOPE just a couple times or so if you got to think about that because yeah,in ANH thats what Ben told Luke.

sapphiremouse
Originally posted by Mr Parker
uh yeah.Dude you must have only seen A NEW HOPE just a couple times or so if you got to think about that because yeah,in ANH thats what Ben told Luke. what Mr. Parker said!!! LOL, how goes the forums? Happy Dance

Darth Callous
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Heck, most of the actors didn't know either. David Prowse didn't know even after the scene was shot.

That's right. Only Lucas, Hamill and Jones knew.

overlord

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Pffft.. Vader originally wasn't a warrior anyway, he was just like some moff.
Nope, sorry. Just a cool name like Revan. laughing

Infinity
its the most famous movie quote and less expected.

Darth Kreiger
Pffft.. Vader originally wasn't a warrior anyway, he was just like some moff.
Nope, sorry. Just a cool name like Revan.

Revan also has a bunch of meanings, possibly Revenge, Revenant which is a person brought back from the dead which fits perfectly with KoToR. Lucas isn't (or wasn't would be a better word) that stupid, he probably didn't want people to figure everything out before the second movie

overlord
No, you don't get it.. You can find some kind of meaning in anything but the first scripts Lucas wrote had Vader dying and not even fighting, he was just like a general or something.
What do you think Lucas then planned for the sequel. Sorry Luke, but the guy who died at the death star was your daddy. Wait, the main character back then had his father die in the movie aswell so there wasn't a secret father scenario possible.

Actually, I know for sure that Lucas and the one who wrote ESB made up that it would be cool for Vader to be Luke's father only up till then. Vader wasn't even the father of Luke in ANH at the time and knowledge of Lucas back then.

coolmovies
The thing is after the big blockbuster SW 77 GL wrote the script for all 5 movies but did not have time to make all of them. That is why Vader wasn't even the father of Luke in ANH becouse it was just called SW and not ANH

Mr Parker
yeah I remember hearing originally it wasnt called ANH,just STAR WARS and yeah it was obvious that in Empire Lucas just made it up that he was his father same with Jedi that Leia was his sister.He never would have had Leia kiss him on the mouth in Empire if it was his plan all along for vader to be his father and Leia his sister.

coolmovies
so the problem is solved

chinabing
Ya don't know what you're talking about. It was planned for Vader to be Luke father. Now when it was planned, well, that's splitting hairs. Lucas liked/picked "Darth Vader" because it sounded like "dark father" The first draft of a film is not canon. He didn't just "think it up" with Leigh Brackett when they were writing TESB. In many myths, there are sister and brothers who are lovers and find out later they are related.

steverules
yeah I remember hearing originally it wasnt called ANH,just STAR WARS and yeah it was obvious that in Empire Lucas just made it up that he was his father same with Jedi that Leia was his sister.He never would have had Leia kiss him on the mouth in Empire if it was his plan all along for vader to be his father and Leia his sister.

Well in ESB Yoda said that Luke wasn't their last hope there was another so was it planned who the other was gonna be or not?

coolmovies
No he was the only hope

overlord
Originally posted by chinabing
Ya don't know what you're talking about. It was planned for Vader to be Luke father. Now when it was planned, well, that's splitting hairs. Lucas liked/picked "Darth Vader" because it sounded like "dark father" The first draft of a film is not canon. He didn't just "think it up" with Leigh Brackett when they were writing TESB. In many myths, there are sister and brothers who are lovers and find out later they are related. I'm sorry, but you have no clue to what you are talking about. Please shut up. It is so freaking simple to understand, the name was made up before the whole character was made up therefore we know that Lucas didn't sit down one day and thought.. "Hmm.. Dark Father, DIRP!"

Darth Vader was first meant to die on board of the death star.
Why would his name therefore imply father? Answer: it is just a cool name, without meaning.

Hewkii_Dude
Originally posted by steverules
I have a feeling that it is, I mean honestly who could have seen it comin?

Apart from the actors and Lucas.

maybe it is rolling on floor laughing

Velkyn
Originally posted by steverules
Well in ESB Yoda said that Luke wasn't their last hope there was another so was it planned who the other was gonna be or not?

He was referring to Leia, though no one either trained her or tested her force powers, if any ever existed. Luke might have gotten all daddy's force while Leia got all momma's figure.. I dunno lol

coolmovies
Its becouse leia was a girl thats why

Velkyn
Well, I wasn't implying that Luke should have looked like Padme... Just that genetics are funny that way, but I am certain she was the one they were referring to since there might have been a chance of heredity dishing Leia out a little force to go with the figure.

Tangible God
He was referring to Leia.

coolmovies
Boys are stronger then girls FACT ! Thats why it was luke

vintageSW77
As someone who was in the cinema watching ESB in May 1980 i for one knew as others did that Vader was Lukes father and it came as no shock ........thanks to the novelisation which was out in advance.
Add to this the fact (well a recollection) that itd been suggested in the UK STAR WARS WEEKLY comic in the letters pages about 6 months before ESB release(i will seek out the issue) it wasnt much of a shock to the SW fans in the audience....i recall it being common knowledge with my school friends before the films release because of this and guesswork with some of the others and it makes me laugh when you get these retro shows where so called celeb fans recall their shock at Vaders confession.
I even had a school friend who harped on about Obi Wan lying to Luke prior to ESB release constantly whenever we got the action figures out.

WE ALL KNEW

i guess there were spoilers back then after all in those pre internet days

Lord Shadow Z
I probably heard he was his father before I actually seen it so obviously it wasn't a surprise or shock for me. I felt a bigger shock for me was Lando opening the door to reveal Darth Vader- that scene was magic... the reaction from Han and the roar of hate from Chewbacca. Much better.

vintageSW77
i wish they would have carried on the scene ..guess they wouldnt be in the mood for eating but i would have loved for Han to have some dialogue with Vader.

ADarksideJedi
A very cool ending to the fifth movie and a surprise one too!jmstarwars

coolmovies
Best scene in hollywood history

queeq
I remember seeing it as a kid, that I was hoping EPVI would show that Vader was lying... I just couldn't believe it was true.

Mr Parker
No, you don't get it.. You can find some kind of meaning in anything but the first scripts Lucas wrote had Vader dying and not even fighting, he was just like a general or something.
What do you think Lucas then planned for the sequel. Sorry Luke, but the guy who died at the death star was your daddy. Wait, the main character back then had his father die in the movie aswell so there wasn't a secret father scenario possible.

Actually, I know for sure that Lucas and the one who wrote ESB made up that it would be cool for Vader to be Luke's father only up till then. Vader wasn't even the father of Luke in ANH at the time and knowledge of Lucas back then.

Yeah Vader was never even Lukes father back then when Lucas first wrote ANH.Like you said,he never had it in his mind when he first wrote ANH that Vader was going to be his father.Very good post.well said. thumb up

Mr Parker
I'm sorry, but you have no clue to what you are talking about. Please shut up. It is so freaking simple to understand, the name was made up before the whole character was made up therefore we know that Lucas didn't sit down one day and thought.. "Hmm.. Dark Father, DIRP!"

Darth Vader was first meant to die on board of the death star.
Why would his name therefore imply father? Answer: it is just a cool name, without meaning.

Boy he sure doesnt know what he's talking about.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by vintageSW77
As someone who was in the cinema watching ESB in May 1980 i for one knew as others did that Vader was Lukes father and it came as no shock ........thanks to the novelisation which was out in advance.
Add to this the fact (well a recollection) that itd been suggested in the UK STAR WARS WEEKLY comic in the letters pages about 6 months before ESB release(i will seek out the issue) it wasnt much of a shock to the SW fans in the audience....i recall it being common knowledge with my school friends before the films release because of this and guesswork with some of the others and it makes me laugh when you get these retro shows where so called celeb fans recall their shock at Vaders confession.
I even had a school friend who harped on about Obi Wan lying to Luke prior to ESB release constantly whenever we got the action figures out.

WE ALL KNEW

i guess there were spoilers back then after all in those pre internet days

good point.Yeah I have my older brothers novel of the movie that was published back then and in the novel it DOES indicate that Vader is his father because the novel says something like-Luke wanting to believe that he was lying to him starts to shake his head and disbelief but somehow feeling,somehow knowing,that Vader really was telling him the truth. good point vintage.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by vintageSW77
i wish they would have carried on the scene ..guess they wouldnt be in the mood for eating but i would have loved for Han to have some dialogue with Vader.

yeah so do I .That would have been great if they could have carried on that scene with some dialouge between vader and sole.Shame it didnt happen. sad

queeq
Yeah Vader was never even Lukes father back then when Lucas first wrote ANH.Like you said,he never had it in his mind when he first wrote ANH that Vader was going to be his father.Very good post.well said. thumb up

That is wrong. SW was ALWAYS about a father and a son. The scene where OB1 feels awkward talking about Vader has enough depth. ANH and ESB were really what they had in mind when they started ANH saga, Lucas just rushed ROTJ a bit. But roughly these were the initial plot points. Vader=father.

coolmovies
Star wars is not about father and son its about Good and evil

Tangible God
Star Wars, chronologically, is about both Good and Evil, and the Story of Anakin/Vader, and then Luke and Vader.

queeq
Of course about good and evil thematically, but plotwise it has always been about a father and son. Ever since the Journal of the Whills.

jainasolo55
see now, everyone who grew up with OT and had seen those episodes before the PT was made, it was a shock to us but how is it going to be for generations after us? i mean the whole vader being lukes father and luke and leia being brother and sister wont be a big deal. i think they will def view star wars differently then we did. i know i did after viewing the PT, vader is not so evil anymore, you feel bad for him because you know of his past. so my point is should we introduce sw to new fans 4,5,6,1,2,3? or 1,2,3,4,5,6? personailly i think its more of an impact to watch them in order of their relase and then go back and watch them in numerical order.

queeq
I agree... but why should they?

jainasolo55
why shouldnt they?

queeq
Because numerical seems the logical way to watch a movie...

Although, remember Twin Peaks? Seeing the prequel film Fire Walk with me is no fun watching it before the series. It makes the series rather pointless.... same here.

jainasolo55
yes but we all enjoy watching them out of order why wouldnt they? i honestly feel theyd get more out of it that way. the whole reason the prequels were so exciting for us is because we knew of this bad guy but not much about him or his past he was a mystery and the whole thrill of it was to go back and see HOW and WHY he was what he was now, watching it in order just kinda takes the excitment out of it

queeq
It does...

Alliance
When EIII came out on DVD...there was a radio station that got a SW vigin to watch all 6 in order I-VI.

Of course things were not as significant, like the "I am your father," but the guy thought it was very cohesive and other moments were more powerful than they are to us.

queeq
Yeah... I heard about that. Also that a SW virgin liked te PT better than the OT... but hey, whadda ya know.

All I am sure of is that the PT will never reach the status the OT has. What does that tell you?

Alliance
All I am sure of is the PT will not reach OT status against you ancient ideologues.

You're judging these movies against "classics" that came out as recently as 2 years ago.

queeq
Ancient? Who's talking about the PT except us geeks? If anyone should mention the most memorable films of the past ten years, I doubt a lot of the general audience would mention any PT movie. I think movies like LOTR, maybe Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan etc. will be mentioned. But I doubt the PT is in there.

If it would be asked in 1987 I am so sure the top ten would include at least ONE SW movie.

And just to back up my so-called ancient claims, here's the IMDB top 250 of best rated films EVER. One LOTR film in the top ten, of the PT not even one is mentioned in the ENTIRE LIST!!! That does say something.... http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Alliance
Yeah, and I'm sure it would be the real revolution in film ANH, and not the drawn out sequels ESB and ROTJ.

Its like comparing the Matrix to its sequals. You can never close the achievement gap.

queeq
ESB is better than ANH. It ranks in the top ten, ANH between 10 and 20.

Alliance
ANH is still a better film, regardless of some arbitrary ranking.

Tangible God
I'll watch ANH before ESB, simply for the more homely touch it offers.

queeq
ANh is great, but I do think ESb is better. Story's better, the acting's better, the drama is better and has the most memorable moments of the saga. Solo's "I know", Vader's "Apology accepted, captain Needa" and "I am your father." It's grand.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.