3C hotter. Earth's danger point. Now scientists say it is going to happen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Omega
THE world will warm by 3C (5.4F) even under emissions projections for 2050 that leading scientists consider optimistic, the United Nations group that studies global warming has said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2164140,00.html

So... Whether you think it's greenhouse gasses, solar fluctuations, or like me - that it's a combination of both - the Earth is heating up.
What do we do?

PVS
what do we do? deny that its heating up.

Quiero Mota
Drink Coca-Cola. smokin'

The Omega
Originally posted by PVS
what do we do? deny that its heating up.

Well, yeah... I guess some will keep covering their eyes. However, we can't run from it anymore is my point. No matter WHAT the cause is...

Quiero Mota> Your insensitivity to the consequences just earned you the stupidity-badge of the day roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bardock42
Originally posted by The Omega
Well, yeah... I guess some will keep covering their eyes. However, we can't run from it anymore is my point. No matter WHAT the cause is...

Quiero Mota> Your insensitivity to the consequences just earned you the stupidity-badge of the day roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well, what will be the consequences? And, why should I care?

NineCoronas
Who is we? How would this affect the world?

Quiero Mota

And YOU just earned the I-Don't-Give-A-Shit badge of the day. smokin'

Ushgarak
What we do is, we sto[ pissing around with distractions like Kyoto.

IF global warming is real on this scale (contentious) and is anything to do with manmade carbon emissions (also contentious), then there isn't a blind thing to be done about it, unless you think India and China can be told to stop growing. The west will be accused of colonial hypocrisy and nothing will happen.

As sensible minds have commented on this debate, resources should be employed on adaptation, not pointless attempts at prevention.

Quiero Mota
THE world will warm by 3C (5.4F) even under emissions projections for 2050 that leading scientists consider optimistic, the United Nations group that studies global warming has said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2164140,00.html

So... Whether you think it's greenhouse gasses, solar fluctuations, or like me - that it's a combination of both - the Earth is heating up.
What do we do?

I'm from Phoenix; we're not concerned about 5 measly degrees. But it's probably a big deal in frozen Denmark.

The Omega
USH> What do you think is behind global warming then? (Did you read the Times article?)
If, as the climatologists I've spoken, it is a mix of solar fluctuations AND greenhouse gasses, should we not do both: Try to cut back AND adapt?

Bardock42
Still, what will the effects be? And why should one (I) care?

Ushgarak
Try to waste time doing both and I doubt you will achieve either.

I have not yet seen a compelloing case that makes out that Man has any notable long-term effect on surface temperature.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Bardock42
Still, what will the effects be? And why should one (I) care?

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I'm from Phoenix; we're not concerned about 5 measly degrees. But it's probably a big deal in frozen Denmark.

Bardock42

Well I am assuming there are much more deviastating effects. Then just 5 degrees more in the summer...it's a shift of 5 degrees...that's a lot.

Darth Jello
the most dangerous thing that can possibly happen is the thermohalene circulation stopping.

PVS

you are aware that its not just about sea level, but more about increasingly erratic weather patterns, right?
do you get tornados out in phoenix?

Quiero Mota
No, but we get real bad sandstorms where your visibility is only about 4 feet.

Bardock42
Damn you people.....what will happen when the earth gets 3 degrees warmer?

Alpha Centauri
I think what Ush said is correct. Adaptation for what is inevitably going to happen is the key.

Salvaging something is all we can do really. Even so, I doubt it's going to happen for a long time. Then again, I'm no scientist.

I've always been of the belief that this planet has endured a lot worse than the human race.

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Adaptation for what is inevitably going to happen is the key.

Cool, now would you also tell me what you think the "inevitably (that is) going to happen" is?

Alpha Centauri
As previously stated, dangerous rise in sea level, erratic (perhaps an understatement) weather patterns etc.

-AC

Bardock42
As previously stated, dangerous rise in sea level, erratic (perhaps an understatement) weather patterns etc.

-AC

Hmm, but what will happen if the sea level rises? And can we know how the weather changes? And why will it be bad for Humankind. Also, if will some places create an environment better suited for humans? Can we even survive it? What measures could be taken against it (not against the change against humans dying out)

Alpha Centauri
When people refer to rising sea level, they don't just mean a couple of inches.

Levels that could flood cities.

-AC

Bardock42
When people refer to rising sea level, they don't just mean a couple of inches.

Levels that could flood cities.

-AC

What cities would that be exactly?

Soleran
Isn't Holland below sea level and protected by levee's I can imagine it would have an impact there

Bardock42
Originally posted by Soleran
Isn't Holland below sea level and protected by levee's I can imagine it would have an impact there

....who'd miss Holland anyways.....err...I mean....Oh my God.

No, I can understand it would have some very devastating impacts but in general...how bad will it be for all of humanity.

Soleran
I am not sure but I have some property in Missouri USA and thats about dead cnter of the USA, maybe my property will turn into beachfront!.................great hurricane insuarance

Evil Dead
sea level rises.......cities are flooded.........here's an idea.........move inland.

This planet has been around what, 4 billion years? Over that period of time, land masses and sea level have changed drastically several times I'm sure......not even considering techtonic activity. Humans are the same as every other species of animal on this globe. Live on land, if land area begins to receed.....you begin to receed.

all this global warming crap is much ado about nothing. If humans want to play a life size version of asteroids (and have the technology to do so) the next time a large meteor is on a collision course with our planet, fine by me...........but the actual cycles of warming and cooling our planet goes through is completely out of our control. Okay......you reduce emissions.......you stay off the warming of 4 degrees for 100 years.........all the same in the end. Our planet will warm.........it will then cool........our only job is adapting to the changing environment, not attempt to change the natural cycles of the planet. We can no more prevent a temperature change than a mammoth could. The difference is that we are intelligent enough to adapt and survive.

WrathfulDwarf
Drink Coca-Cola. smokin'

Coca Cola? Come on QM break out the Coronas or the Millers. big grin

But seriously I appreciate and thankful we have this information coming to us. Is there really a need to get all worried and stop living? I would say no. Now, I'm not saying you're a bunch of doom sayers or panic attackers. Certain people who look at scientific data and draw their own conclusions without proper reviewing get all hype up about the subject. Example? Here in California we keep hearing the BIG ONE is coming..the one that will devasted all the cities. They say is gonna happen....yet, is that gonna stop us from living our lives? Sure, we should be prepare for an emergency...should we live in constant fear? no...not at all.

The Omega

Soleran
great no more sardines...............

Evil Dead
as I stated before......it's inevadable, why fuss? Whether we contribute to it or not, it's going to happen...........what's 100 years in the lifespan of our planet? Land masses will change either way.....sea level will rise either way......weather patterns will become more violent either way......people will die either way. The species will survive. Pretty moot point if you ask me. Some guy's on death row.......but on suicide watch......the point? none. waste of time, energy and thought process.

Bardock42

Koenig
Game over blowup

PVS
Okay, so it's pretty bad, but not that horrible...humankind will survive....so whatever?

pretty short sighted. unless 'survival' in its most literal sense is good enough iyho.

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
pretty short sighted. unless 'survival' in its most literal sense is Good enough iyho. well, by 2050 I will be 65...so **** that.

big gay kirk
This planet is currently going through one of the coldest phases in its existence... global warming is simply the earth returning to how it should be.... during the coolest period of the dinosaur age, average temps were at least 3 degrees greater than they are now.... short term, global warming means more rain in Africa, cooler winters and hotter, shorter summers, two harvests a year in Europe as well as in africa, and a possible end to world hunger as long as the politicians don't get involved...

big gay kirk
Also remember this... if the arctic ice cap melts, sea levels will actually FALL!!! If the antarctic ice cap melts, Africa and Arabia will be suffering temperature highs of approx 75 degrees C, so the boiling of the petrol and oil left there will be a bigger worry.... not to mention the problems caused by overcrowding in the arctic and subarctic regions, which will be the only areas likely to sustain life.... global warming is true, is a natural thing, is not necessarily a bad thing, and isn't it just so human to assume that the world should be a perfect environment for us, rather than admitting that homo sapiens was just a chancer that got lucky for a while....

allofyousuckkk
it's theorized that all this is gonna happen before 50 years
maybe even 20.

Reason: If we heat up 5 degrees every 10 years, then within 20 years, we'll be 10 degrees warmer, and the ice caps are already melting. Now when they do completely melt(which they will, and the world isnt gonna eb covered in water, the water level will rise 400 ft) the heat from the sun(infrared, uv) will stop being reflected off the ice(most of it is reflected) and absorb into the water.

continued:
When all the ice evaporates, it goes into the atmosphere as water vapor. Lots of water vapor makes lots of clouds. Now when the ocean absorbs all this heat, it has to send it into the atmosphere after a wehile because heat is a type of energy, and energy has no end. So now the atmosphere is filled with all this hot air and it can't leave because all the clouds. So everything just gets hotter....

wait, that doesn't add up...*thinks* when this was explained to me it continued on and on until something bad happened.................*tries to remember*

i cant remember at the moment...i will though...maybe after dinner?

The Omega
Okay, so it's pretty bad, but not that horrible...humankind will survive....so whatever?

I take it it's one of your word-games??
But true, yeah. I have no kids, and doubt I'll have any, so who cares?

Ushgarak

WrathfulDwarf
And with a single post the world is safe again. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.