The Western World

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bardock42
Well, this might be a bit of an obscure thread, but anyways.

The Western World. What is it? Is it all the countries west of Greenwhich? Western Europe and the continent of America? Countries whose culture derived from a European culture? If they are in the Western Hemispher? A synonym for the First World? What countries do you think are included. What about Australia? South America? Mexico? Poland?

Well, yeah, that's the thread. I am really proud of it. Tell me anyways!!! I demand replies.

NineCoronas
The definition changes as terrorists find new targets to hate.

Eis
Originally posted by NineCoronas
The definition changes as terrorists find new targets to hate.
Okay... NEXT.

GCG
You can expect an essay on the subject from me. The west derived from a general direction, yet it has evolved into a diverse block compared to what it was originally.

jaden101
its an ideology now more than a geological issue...the western world is simply a way that the old allied countries in Europe and America describe themselves but given that you could really now consider australia and japan as "western world" countries even though they're not in the west

before the enemy was the soviet union and was described as "the east" and now just by sheer coincidence the so called enemy is in the middle "east"

oh how nicely it all fits together

GCG
^ Yeah, what he said sums a good resume.

Ushgarak
It simply referred to what side of the Iron Curtain you were on. Really, it had little to do with geography. Russia was always closer to America's west than east, but conceptually, the enemy was always Eastwards, no mater where you were.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I chose the "Countries anywhere whose culture derives from a European country", then I made love to a hippo.

In Asia, the general consensus among the locals is that Western = white. Most black people are considered African, unless they are dressed in non-ethnic clothing, in which case they are then considered American.

Returning to my original point, I believe the West has a base in the US and Europe, but through the joys of imperialism and colonisation it has spread to include South Africa and Austrailia. Regardless of its historical genesis, it now means people from those countries who have shared cultural and religious ideologies.

It's interesting topic, and I look forward to seeing your head stuck up an elephant's flatulent ass. Aside from that, I also look forward to seeing some other opinions on it.

Peace out, duuuuuuuuuuudes.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Bardock42
Countries whose culture derived from a European culture?

That's it right there.

Imaginary
That's how I see it, too.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
then I made love to a hippo.

That pink shirt and the scissor sisters are sure to follow, or came before. Whatever. All I know is that Baby Jesus does not approve.

Bardock42
So just to be clear. What countries do you think are part of the Western World?

Australia?
Argentina?
Mexico?
Cuba?
Chile?
The US?
Poland?
Marocco?
Japan?
China?
India?
Iran?
Russia?
Finnland?
Dominican Republic?
New Zealan?
Vietnam?
Mngolia?
Afghanistan?
South Africa?
Spain?
Italy?
France?
Malta?
Slovenia?

Bardock42
Also, is "The Western World" as we see it today the Members of the OECD?
What are people generally referring to (countrywise) when they talk about the Western World?

Eis
Also, is "The Western World" as we see it today the Members of the OECD?
What are people generally referring to (countrywise) when they talk about the Western World?
You simply think the western world is equivalent to money, it's not.
The western world is much more... It's culture, tradition, etc. Not money.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Eis
You simply think the western world is equivalent to money, it's not.
The western world is much more... It's culture, tradition, etc. Not money.

I, sadly, can't find any true definition of "The Western World". I just know how we use it in Germany, and I think I know how they use it in the US. ANd I just don't think South America is considered part of it. While Japan is.

Eis
I, sadly, can't find any true definition of "The Western World". I just know how we use it in Germany, and I think I know how they use it in the US. ANd I just don't think South America is considered part of it. While Japan is.
How can anyone think The Western World = The Rich World, they already have a term for that it's "First World Countries".

Bardock42
Originally posted by Eis
How can anyone think The Western World = The Rich World, they already have a term for that it's "First World Countries".

No one claimed it's the Rich World. It is just a couple of countries, and I don't think Colombia, Trinidad and Tobago, and Venezuela are a part of it.

Eis
No one claimed it's the Rich World. It is just a couple of countries, and I don't think Colombia, Trinidad and Tobago, and Venezuela are a part of it.
Yes you did, you told me it all came down to race and money.

Janus Marius
Countries in the western hemisphere whose culture derives from a European country.

"The West" is culture based on a foundation of ideals starting with the ancient Greeks, Romans, and later on the nations of Europe. Whenever you mention "western philosophy", or "western nations", these come up.

Eis
Originally posted by Janus Marius
Countries in the western hemisphere whose culture derives from a European country.

"The West" is culture based on a foundation of ideals starting with the ancient Greeks, Romans, and later on the nations of Europe. Whenever you mention "western philosophy", or "western nations", these come up.
So Argentina, Chile, Mexico and Cuba are all part of the Western World?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Eis
Yes you did, you told me it all came down to race and money.

Maybe, I talk a lot when the days are long.

But for me The Western World is a term that I use when I want to refer to a bunch of countries. Namely Western Europe (UK, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Italy, Scandinavia), Australia, Japan the US and Canada and maybe a few more I forgot.

Janus Marius
Originally posted by Eis
So Argentina, Chile, Mexico and Cuba are all part of the Western World?

Of course.

Bardock42

Is South America included there? What about parts of Africa? Is Japan part of it?

Eis
Of course.
Good, now Bardock go throw yourself out of the window.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Eis
Good, now Bardock go throw yourself out of the window.

Dude....Cuba?

If Cuba is included it is just a Synonym for Western Hemisphere.

Janus Marius
Is South America included there? What about parts of Africa? Is Japan part of it?

South America yes. Africa? Doubtful. Africa in itself is a whole different continent. While it was exploited and effected by the West, I wouldn't say African nations are neccessarily Western. They don't reflect a foundation of Western thought and culture. And Japan definately doesn't count. Just because Japan seems Americana doesn't mean it's Western; by that mindset, Europe in the middle ages was Arabic and Mongolian.

Ya Krunk'd Floo

If you've been Japan, there's no way you'd consider it 'western'.

Quiero Mota
ANd I just don't think South America is considered part of it.

What the f**k? How do you figure? South American countries are based on European culture and speak European languages.

But you consider Japan a Western country? Where's the logic in that?

Capt_Fantastic
Bottom line, the "Western World" is purported to be those countries that support democracy, and the East is the antithesis of that ideaology. It's a devisive term, end of story. It implies "us" against "them"

Eis
If you've been Japan, there's no way you'd consider it 'western'.
I told him the same thing. Japan may be Americanized but definitely not Europeanized.

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Bottom line, the "Western World" is purported to be those countries that support democracy, and the East is the antithesis of that ideaology. It's a devisive term, end of story. It implies "us" against "them"
So what Cuba isn't western? Maybe that's how they used it during the cold war but it's not what most people mean when they use it now.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Eis
So what Cuba isn't western? Maybe that's how they used it during the cold war but it's not what most people mean when they use it now.

What most people mean, and how it's interpreted are two different things, aren't they?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
What the f**k? How do you figure? South American countries are based on European culture and speak European languages.

But you consider Japan a Western country? Where's the logic in that?

Hmm, I don't know. Eis says it's cause I'm racist.....

Capt_Fantastic
No, Western cullture are different than are communism and democracy. One exists and the other is concieved. No, they are not the same. Western Democracies are different than are eastern democracies. Such was explained earlier.

Eis
What most people mean, and how it's interpreted are two different things, aren't they?
Interpreted by who? There is no official meaning for the term.

Janus Marius
Except that a major eastern country (India) is the world's biggest democracy, and communism comes from European philosopher Karl Marx, indicating that it has European roots. West and East aren't jut catchphrases for democracy and non-democracy obviously. It's a lot deeper than that. Russia was considered a Western society back during the Age of Enlightenment, when Russian courts attempted to function and dress like their European counterparts. The orthodox religion has distinct Western roots.

Really, Russia is effectively Western AND Eastern, while India, though democratic, is clearly Eastern because of its cultural base.

jaden101
Except that a major eastern country (India) is the world's biggest democracy, and communism comes from European philosopher Karl Marx, indicating that it has European roots. West and East aren't jut catchphrases for democracy and non-democracy obviously. It's a lot deeper than that. Russia was considered a Western society back during the Age of Enlightenment, when Russian courts attempted to function and dress like their European counterparts. The orthodox religion has distinct Western roots.

Really, Russia is effectively Western AND Eastern, while India, though democratic, is clearly Eastern because of its cultural base.

indeed...

so all we've really done in this thread is narrow it down to what "western" isnt defined as

it isnt capitalism v communism
it isnt christianity v islam
it isnt geographical
it isnt cultural

which leaves, as i mentioned, ideological...which is really derived from a big mix of all the other stuff that we've defined that it isn't

mmm

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm not one to blow my own trumpet, but you ain't the only one thinking along those lines, ol' Jaden...

I believe the West has a base in the US and Europe, but through the joys of imperialism and colonisation it has spread to include South Africa and Austrailia. Regardless of its historical genesis, it now means people from those countries who have shared cultural and religious ideologies.

I'm a little out of breath after that, but what I am saying is: "Yes, we're right.

Janus Marius
I trace back the "Westerness" of a society based on whether or not it can trace its ideologies and culture back to Greece and Rome.

Bardock42
I trace back the "Westerness" of a society based on whether or not it can trace its ideologies and culture back to Greece and Rome.

I always considered it a mix of the Classics, the Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment.

debbiejo
Hey, Bardock started a thread....eek!

The Western world is anything that's not East............That's all that I could come up with...........

Janus Marius
I always considered it a mix of the Classics, the Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment.

The Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment all trace things back to the Greco-Roman foundations of western thought.

Bardock42
The Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment all trace things back to the Greco-Roman foundations of western thought.

They certainly have their foundations there, but they do go a little further as well, don't you think?

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Eis
Interpreted by who?

Why, by the people who live in them, and their leaders who profit from the difference.

Bardock42
Why, by the people who live in them, and their leaders who profit from the difference.

But isn't that the same thing then?

Janus Marius

Bardock42
And the Age of Enlightenmen?

Janus Marius
The Renaissance led to the Age of Enlightenment. And the age was noted for neo-classicism.

So the point is, Western civilization has foundations in ancient Greco-Roman society and thought. That's why if you take a Western Civ class, they start there. They don't discuss the nomadic Finn tribes or the Germanic barbarians or how eskimos learned to melt snow with shit... they discuss the ancient Roman and Greek politicians, scholars, and so on. Look at every western government- from Napoleon to the United States to Modern day France- all have strong influences from those time periods. History repeats itself.

Bardock42
The Renaissance led to the Age of Enlightenment. And the age was noted for neo-classicism.

So the point is, Western civilization has foundations in ancient Greco-Roman society and thought. That's why if you take a Western Civ class, they start there. They don't discuss the nomadic Finn tribes or the Germanic barbarians or how eskimos learned to melt snow with shit... they discuss the ancient Roman and Greek politicians, scholars, and so on. Look at every western government- from Napoleon to the United States to Modern day France- all have strong influences from those time periods. History repeats itself.

But I think it goes way beyond that. Yes, Greek and Roman culture is the foundation of it...but I think it evolved further. Based in it yes, the sole definition of it, I don't think so.

Janus Marius

The entire point is that the West comes from a foundation of Greco-Roman thought. Can you think of one country that DOES have these strong influences and isn't Western?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.