What If Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Janus Marius
For those keen on Japanese history, how do you suppose the future of Japan would have changed had Oda Nobunaga survived and flourished?

For those who are more keen on European history, how do you suppose the west would have changed had the Roman Empire not fallen?

Try and be as specific as possible, and feel free to speculate -heavily-.

Koenig
I prefer WW2 what if discussions. wink

Janus Marius
Make your own thread then. "What If, WWII". Should be a hit.

Koenig
OK

Swirly Girl
Hmm, for the first one, I can't really say. It's possible that Japan could have ended up as a more united country than it would have been if otherwise, but hmm...

For the second one, I'd need a little more information. Did it stave off all of the barbarian hordes? Did the west and east stay united?

Janus Marius
Originally posted by Swirly Girl
Hmm, for the first one, I can't really say. It's possible that Japan could have ended up as a more united country than it would have been if otherwise, but hmm...

For the second one, I'd need a little more information. Did it stave off all of the barbarian hordes? Did the west and east stay united?
Run with the idea that the Roman Empire remained strong centrally, and that the office of emperor was eventually bound by laws so that the emperor could be disposed if he were an idiot like say, Commodus.

Lightsnake
Yeah, Commodus was just an egomaniacal despot.

Now, if Nobunaga had survived, Japan would've likely seen a vicious and despotic shogunate for longer than if Tokugawa and Toyotomi hadn't started their civil war.

Janus Marius
I was thinking more about the ramifications for Oda being pro-western and pro-modern world.

Lightsnake
I doubt Japan would survive his rule long enough to modernize

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Janus Marius
Run with the idea that the Roman Empire remained strong centrally, and that the office of emperor was eventually bound by laws so that the emperor could be disposed if he were an idiot like say, Commodus.

What if? Hitler was born earlier and became Emperor but still held his beliefs? OR What if the Roman Empire developed electricity?

Yeah...you gotta love fiction!

Captain REX
I think we'd still be speaking Latin! shock

Grand_Moff_Gav
laughing out loud Hindsight and What If should be Illegal when talking about history.

Echuu

More technological advances maybe? I kinda think if Rome had survived there wouldn't have been a dark age; or at least it would have been much smaller. imo...

Oh and modern day Italy(if there would be one; maybe would be called by another name) would end up with some nice land. Think about how different Catholicisim could have been too.

Capt_Fantastic
For those who are more keen on European history, how do you suppose the west would have changed had the Roman Empire not fallen?

this has always struck me as an interesting question. Certainly the fall of teh Roman empire didn't do too much to effect the spread of christianity, but what people in certain groups always want to say is that the fall of teh Roman empire came about because of their inherent divious behavior. But, it was ultimately christianity that led to teh fall of the Roman empire.

Grand_Moff_Gav
What if an army of Daleks killed Ceaser, or fourteen sillion people where born in the Hills of Rome?

RUBBISH! Thats what this thread is!

Templares
What if Hannibal had decided to seige Rome and didnt give the Romans to regroup after decimating its armed forces at Cannae?

What if Napoleon exploited his element of surprise in Waterloo more effectively?

What if the Mongol horde continued its march into Western Europe?

lil bitchiness
For those keen on Japanese history, how do you suppose the future of Japan would have changed had Oda Nobunaga survived and flourished?

Try and be as specific as possible, and feel free to speculate -heavily-.

Not keen on Japanese History, so I can't pretend I'm an expert.

As far as Roman Empire goes - perhaps the geography of what we know as ''Europe'' would be very different.
Perhaps we would all be 'Romans' right now, and a major power in the world.
Perhaps Native Americans would still be where they are, or perhaps we would have invaded America and made a second Rome there.

And while all this is happening Greece would be the most bitter country in the world.

Empire would have eventually fallen though. All Empires do.

Fire
Doubt the romans would have kept it together for another 2000 years.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Not keen on Japanese History, so I can't pretend I'm an expert.

Nah, don't say that, believe in yourself...

Fire
LoL, at uni they'll make firewood of that way of thinking B

Darth Kreiger
Christianity is what caused downfall for the Romans...
We would no doubt be better off with the Romans, though they did destroy the Library of Alexandria putting us back a Thousand years....and I guess so did the Romans Downfall all together...

Templares
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Christianity is what caused downfall for the Romans...
We would no doubt be better off with the Romans, though they did destroy the Library of Alexandria putting us back a Thousand years....and I guess so did the Romans Downfall all together...

IIRC, the Romans did burn the main Library complexes but the Alexandrian library survived through its Serapeum annex. The Serapeum, since its a temple dedicated to Isis and the rest of the Egyptian, was BURNED DOWN by them over-zealous Christians.

Rambo
B]What if Hannibal had decided to seige Rome and didnt give the Romans to regroup after decimating its armed forces at Cannae?

Well to be honest I'm not that educated in Roman Era but from what I've learned I believe that Hannibal didnt have the manpower to sack Rome. [

Darth Kreiger
He had no Siege Equipment, and his tactics on open field would't help him here

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.