The Knights Templar

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
As many of you know a knight has always been used as the heroic and chivalrous character in Fantasy and storytelling. There is a incredible emotion of romanticism towards the character and how he wins our hearts with his courage and occasionaly we become inspired by their actions, decisions, and judgement.

For further details read this link:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14493a.htm

Enjoy! smile

Grand_Moff_Gav
........Please explain the title? Why call it the Knights Templar if you don't even talk about the Knights Templar?

Or are you unaware that the Knights Templar and knights are two different things?

One being a powerful medieval organisation the other being the name given to medieval soldiers?

Janus Marius
Every time I see Knights Templar I have a flashback from playing Deus Ex 2.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
........Please explain the title? Why call it the Knights Templar if you don't even talk about the Knights Templar?

Or are you unaware that the Knights Templar and knights are two different things?

One being a powerful medieval organisation the other being the name given to medieval soldiers?

I started the thread to discuss The Knights Templar and provided a link giving an insight into christian knights. If I was going to give full description and detail for the Templars then this wouldn't be a discussion....rather, it would be a Lecture. You're more than welcome for discussion.

Janus Marius
WD, is there anything in particular you find intriguing or remarkable about them? I have to admit, my knowledge on the Knights is pretty basic, but I seem to recall them being just one of a dozen other Orders borne out of the crusades, such as the Knights of Malta, the Teutonic Knights, etc.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Janus Marius

Every time I hear of Knights Templar, I think of Disney's National Treasure. messed

Darth Macabre
WD, is there anything in particular you find intriguing or remarkable about them? I have to admit, my knowledge on the Knights is pretty basic, but I seem to recall them being just one of a dozen other Orders borne out of the crusades, such as the Knights of Malta, the Teutonic Knights, etc.

All I know about them is that they supposedly stayed on the Temple of Solomon ruins for years....Possible took/stole the pieces of the true cross, the arc of the covenant, the holy grail, and other historic artifacts...And they were all burned at the stake on October 13 (Friday the 13th) 1307.

§P0oONY
My entire knowledge of the Knights Templar is forged from a Broken Sword game. big grin

Good old "Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars" must dig that game out again.

Templares
Im the founder of the Knights Templar eek! . . . . but they kicked me out into the Winding Path embarrasment , so i asked the Pope and Philip to disband and BURN them all roll eyes (sarcastic) .

Oh sweet revenge evil face

laughing laughing laughing

Grand_Moff_Gav
Hmm, indeed....
*throws on cardinal outfit and burns Templarers*

Templars supposedly found ancient documents proving Jesus' decent from King David, his marriage to Mary Magdalene and his daughter rose.

The are also rumored to have taken part in ceremonies involving trampling the cross and defiling the bible.

It was upon these charges that the Pope had them arrested, although some argue it was because they where blackmailing the church with the artifacts the found at Solomons temple, others say it was because they had become to powerful and rich.

Personally, I believe the latter.

Darth Macabre
The reason they were charged with Heresy is due to them worshipping a head....Historians believe it was either the shroud of Turin....Or the skull of John the Baptist.

aStranger
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
All I know about them is that they supposedly stayed on the Temple of Solomon ruins for years....Possible took/stole the pieces of the true cross, the arc of the covenant, the holy grail, and other historic artifacts...And they were all burned at the stake on October 13 (Friday the 13th) 1307.

Solomon worhsiped old pagan gods, he converted his religion to that of a pagan so to say that they took artifacts holy to the jewish/catholic/christian tradition from his temple basically means that they took artifacts corrupted by what they would consider profane practices and hid them. This either implies that they were not aware of solomons intentions (unlikely), that the relics were never their, or that they took the relics to sheild man from the corruption solomon would have inflictied upon them

DarkC
And every time I see the name I think back to National Treasure, starring Nicholas Cage. happy

lil bitchiness

...And I get a super terrible urge to stab Dan Brown in the eye...

LanceWindu
Originally posted by DarkC
And every time I see the name I think back to National Treasure, starring Nicholas Cage. happy

*points to my post earlier in the thread*

OWNED. stick out tongue

Philip_ll
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt a piece of the true cross get captured be Saladin during the 3rd crusade? (Saladin was the best-known Muslim Warrior during the 1100's by the way)

Templares
Thats what i thought as well. Saladin (or probably some obscure Muslim ruler) has the main portion of the True Cross. The Templars only have bits and pieces of the real thing.

WrathfulDwarf
Reading more into the history of the Templars and it gets more fascinating. According to historians the Knight templars not only provided protection for pilgrims to Jerusalem...but they were also monks! These guys were pretty cool! big grin

KharmaDog
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
These guys were pretty cool! big grin

They also slaughtered jews and muslims. How cool is that...not very in my book.

Not many Knights lived by what we romantacise as the knight's code. Many stole from others, took advantage of the weak for profit, and conducted themselves in a less than honourable manner.

Alliance
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
As many of you know a knight has always been used as the heroic and chivalrous character in Fantasy and storytelling. There is a incredible emotion of romanticism towards the character and how he wins our hearts with his courage and occasionaly we become inspired by their actions, decisions, and judgement.

This is why I always loathed the chivalric code and all that is mideval war. laughing

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Alliance
This is why I always loathed the chivalric code and all that is mideval war. laughing

It's very interesting once you get to read more about it. Plus set aside that conspiracy stuff...it becomes inspirational.

KharmaDog
The problem is that not many Knights (if any) lived up to the expectations of what a knoight was to be.

Massacreing entire towns (after they have fed and sheltered you as friends) because they don't want to be christian? That ain't to knightly.

Alliance
I find facism and modern war much more militarily inspirational.

I like dirty techy soldiers, a clean cut warrior is a myth. stick out tongue

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Alliance
I find facism and modern war much more militarily inspirational.

I like dirty techy soldiers, a clean cut warrior is a myth. stick out tongue

Oh, I'm sure there is different tastes. Separating the myth from the true stories is also good. There is still many things unknown about them even today.

Alliance
Oh I know there are different tastes. The romantic view of war has always been a turn off for me, I hadn't even looked at the thread unil today and the first post completely embodied the romanticism that turns me off. I jsut found that funny.

People's interpretations are certainly valid. I was just stating mine stick out tongue

debbiejo
It's hard to separate facts from myth, but weren't they murdered by some Monarchy, church or something, because they wouldn't take a pay-off?..........Or did I get that from the Dan Brown book???

Storm
King Philip the Fair and Pope Clement V accused the Templars of atheism, sodomy, blasphemy, and worse. This attack resulted in the disbandment of the Templars and the death of most of the members. Templars were tortured into forced confessions before being executed in large numbers. Scholars have debated whether any charges were true, but it is believed that they were innocent of the accusations and the process against them was solely for gaining access to their wealth and to ensure they could not become a political threat.

Himo
Storm's got it. Some of the knights got away and started other orders, but the Knights Templar were backstabbed and massacred by the French King for their wealth, whihc he never found.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.