why was there blood when....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthMaul9123
why was there blood when obiwan chopped that buttfaced looking aliens arm off, but when luke's hand is cauterized(!!!yes burn!!!) it just burn the skin

jollyjim311
You didn't know Obi Wan put an uber crystal in his lightsaber to make wounds bleed because he is mean? Oh, I thought this was common knowledge...

Honestly, we've all thought about it, thought about making a thread and then realized, "Hey, that would be a waste of a thread!"

Darth Vious
Well, different meats do take different times to cook, perhaps that particular species' flesh was slightly more resistant to cauterization that Human flesh...

DarthMaul9123
thats pretty good statement, but luke's lightsaber did burn off a scale from that lava dragon to recruit gantoris

Tangible God
Have you noticed that when lightsabers make contact with flesh in ANH that they do different tricks than the other movies,

Aqualish's arm=blood.
Obi-Wan chopped in half=disappearing act.

All other saber wounds=burned shut.

ANH sets out different outlines for SW than anything else in the movies or EU. It's the original, all the OTHERS are the stupid ones who made mistakes.

Ushgarak
Maul gave out some blood, though.

Council#13
That looked kinda like evaporated blood.

Anyway, when Luke cut off the arm of the Wampa, it also bled. I honestly have no idea why, but the OT seems a lot less consistent than the PT on these things.

Ushgarak
Fact is, there 'should' be blood (inverted commas there because of the nature of 'should' in a totally non-scientific fictional setting), because even if the wounds are burnt shut, some of it is going to get out. ANH looks about right.

Trouble was, in the PT, it was going to look pretty darn un-PG if they followed that logic through like they had before.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by DarthMaul9123
thats pretty good statement, but luke's lightsaber did burn off a scale from that lava dragon to recruit gantoris
Thanks smile In the EU, the power and intensity of a saber's blade was supposed to be adjustable, yet there was never an onscreen example of that. However, to accept it purely as burning off a scale, see my below answer...

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Maul gave out some blood, though.
Originally posted by Council#13
That looked kinda like evaporated blood.

Anyway, when Luke cut off the arm of the Wampa, it also bled. I honestly have no idea why, but the OT seems a lot less consistent than the PT on these things.
Different species, so more examples of different flesh reacting differently to the effects of the saber's blade...

Council#13
Apparently all spieces of metal react the same way then! stick out tongue

Can you explain why Agen Kolar didnt start bleeding when he was run through with a lightsaber?

Ushgarak
Oh yeah, I am sure THAT is the reason for Maul. Different species. Sure.

Council#13
laughing Yeah!

Darth Vious
Apparently all spieces of metal react the same way then! stick out tongue
Apparently they don't, as cortosis ore and phrik alloy are both resistant to lightsaber blades.

Can you explain why Agen Kolar didnt start bleeding when he was run through with a lightsaber?
Different angle of attack. As you said, he was run through, not bisected as Maul was. That means a much smaller wound with much less blood escaping, and due to the nature of the attack, any blood that did leak from the wound would have been evaporated by contact the blade (note how in Clone Wars the blades 'steamed' in the rain...)

Darth Vious
Do you disagree that different meats cook at different temperatures and require different cooking times?

SpyCspider
^no, I think he means it's pure speculation. Lucas most likely didn't sit back and say "hmm....Maul's flesh is going to cook at different temps than let's say a Wampa since he's a different species, so let's not make him bleed as much..."

Of course, you're entitled to your own assumption.

In the PG-kid friendly TPM movie, they weren't gonna show Maul's intestines falling out of his midsection as he fell down the shaft

Darth Vious
Originally posted by SpyCspider
^no, I think he means it's pure speculation. Lucas most likely didn't sit back and say "hmm....Maul's flesh is going to cook at different temps than let's say a Wampa since he's a different species, so let's not make him bleed as much..."
Given Lucas' 'creative talents', I doubt he does much thinking about anything when he sits down to write.

Of course, you're entitled to your own assumption.

Someone posed a question, I suggested a plausible answer with basis in fact. Do you have a problem with that?

In the PG-kid friendly TPM movie, they weren't gonna show Maul's intestines falling out of his midsection as he fell down the shaft
So instead, they show a spray of blood as he got bisected, essentially showing as much gore as would be allowed, seeing as the bisected body was then seen in it's totality.

DarthMaul9123
Originally posted by Tangible God
Have you noticed that when lightsabers make contact with flesh in ANH that they do different tricks than the other movies,

Aqualish's arm=blood.
Obi-Wan chopped in half=disappearing act.

All other saber wounds=burned shut.

ANH sets out different outlines for SW than anything else in the movies or EU. It's the original, all the OTHERS are the stupid ones who made mistakes.
i think it should all be like ANH cause that was the original y' know

DarthMaul9123

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by DarthMaul9123
why was there blood when obiwan chopped that buttfaced looking aliens arm off, but when luke's hand is cauterized(!!!yes burn!!!) it just burn the skin

It was a genuine mistake that Lucas has admitted to. no expression

SpyCspider
Originally posted by Darth Vious
Someone posed a question, I suggested a plausible answer with basis in fact. Do you have a problem with that?

no expression
Why would I have a problem with it if I said "of course, you're entitled to your own assumption?" In fact, I actually think your explanation for Maul's encounter with the saber attributed to being a different species is pretty creative.

So instead, they show a spray of blood as he got bisected, essentially showing as much gore as would be allowed, seeing as the bisected body was then seen in it's totality.

His body split asunder is totally different than guts falling out of his torso. It's more comical than anything. You see Tom & Jerry do that to each other all the time, but you don't see Tom's intestines flailing about, spewing feces and bile all over... wink

Ushgarak
I think trying to rationalise it with things like !oh, maybe his flesh cooks at a different temperature' is a total waste of time.

It follows one rule- the rule of drama. It looked good and it fitted. Rationalisation be damned.

Council#13
Apparently they don't, as cortosis ore and phrik alloy are both resistant to lightsaber blades.

Different angle of attack. As you said, he was run through, not bisected as Maul was. That means a much smaller wound with much less blood escaping, and due to the nature of the attack, any blood that did leak from the wound would have been evaporated by contact the blade (note how in Clone Wars the blades 'steamed' in the rain...)

1. Ah! You got me there!!!

2. As you have said, the lightsabers "steamed" in the rain. Wouldnt the lightsaber, being surronded by bodily fluids start steaming also?

Darth Vious
no expression
Why would I have a problem with it if I said "of course, you're entitled to your own assumption?" In fact, I actually think your explanation for Maul's encounter with the saber attributed to being a different species is pretty creative.
Sorry, it's just from your post, it sounded like you disapproved of my theory.

His body split asunder is totally different than guts falling out of his torso. It's more comical than anything. You see Tom & Jerry do that to each other all the time, but you don't see Tom's intestines flailing about, spewing feces and bile all over... wink
Mmmm.... feces...
wink
I agree, they couldn't've shown that in a PG movie, but, it's fair to say that a wound of that size would still be cauterized (to prevent flailing intestings) despite the initial blood spray on impact.

Darth Vious
As you have said, the lightsabers "steamed" in the rain. Wouldnt the lightsaber, being surronded by bodily fluids start steaming also?
That's most definitely a possibility, I think (quite happy to be proven wrong) that when Qui-Gon was run through, there was a wisp of steam from the wound, and I think there were similar wisps when Count Dooku clipped Obi-Wan. However, in the afore mentioned encounter, Palpatine's blade was not thrust through and then held in place (like when the Kurgan skewered the Vietnam Vet and hoisted him into the air on the sword), they were quick 'in and out', motions, because he still had to defend himself against the other Jedi and Master Windu, but when he ran through Agen Kolar, there was indeed a wisp of steam from the contact.

Council#13
Oh! I didnt watch it that carefully! embarrasment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.