Martial Arts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

spidergrl
I've been looking around and there are hardly no topics on martial arts. So i choose to be the one to break the ice. wat martial art do you do or want to get involved in. I do taekwondo but would love to learn kung fu or something.

TrAnCeDuO
there are threads...ill pull one up for you...and for the hell of it...i take jiu jitsu but i want to take jeet kune do and wushu as well...

spidergrl
awome, yea i no but some people haven't used it since the 1800's and i thought i would make a new one so that anyone could come on and talk about it. wat kind of things do you do in jiu jitsu?? and jeet kune/wushu?

TrAnCeDuO
thats the best way to describe i think...btw...check this out!

spidergrl
sweet as thanks. so how often do u train?? do you go in tournaments??

TrAnCeDuO
ive never been to a tournament...im only a beginner(white belt) but hopefully im going to get a promotion...but i am planning on going to an isshryu (i know i spelled that wrong!)tournament next year...as for days i go every monday and wensday...also just now ive started going to one of the dojo's blackbelts house to go train...

spidergrl
awsome yea. im black belt in taekwondo, its fun and all but i realli want a variety of martial arts. as i said i would like to do kung fu or karate. this aint realia martial art but i would like to do fiencing?? the one with the swords - that would be funi as

TrAnCeDuO
i consider fencing to be a martial art...after all its origin came from all of the dueling that occured in olden days...

spidergrl
yea tru point. i reackon it would be awsome martial art to take. like it would teach you some really good techniques and how to move fast and it would come in handle in the street if someone attacked you, you would no how to get around them etc.

TrAnCeDuO
yup...but if i cant take wushu ill take a iaido(japanese sword) class...and that wont be too hard to find since my soke teaches it!

spidergrl
that would be awsome as well. i love mucking round with swords etc

TrAnCeDuO
http://www.martialinfo.com/MartialMainFrame.htm

check that out....you can find alot of schools here...

spidergrl
thanks

TrAnCeDuO
they have a search on there but theres way too many results...is there anyway to search for one specific art?

spidergrl
umm just looking around on it now

Ryan10000000000
IVE BEEN DOING KARATE 4 6 YEARS AND HAVE BEEN ASSOCIATED WITH ALOT OF STYLES OF MARTIAL ARTS

spidergrl
awsum. wat belt r u

Turbo-Cajun
I used to do Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, boxing, and kick boxing (western)...I quit when i moved a year ago, ive been wanting to go train again but the places to train here are limited and I am going to school so my time is limited so im alittle out of practice, but could still defend myself against most so...

spidergrl
awsome. where do you live?? we have 2 clubs near where i live, so its alright a

Turbo-Cajun
I used to live in Minneapolis Minnesota (literally 100s of places to train), now i live in Marshall, MN (population <13000) and there like 2 places i could do tae kwo do, but one has really stupid rules about when you can sign up, and how long you need to sign up for at a time, its high cost.....shit i havent had to deal with in the past, and refuse to start dealing with now....and the other has only very limited hours that dont really work with my schedule and its a different style than I trained in before, and i think that its pretty lame kind of stuff compared to what i was learning before...not very effective, yet showy, so i dunno i guess i cant really do much here till im done with school or i move somewhere else...sigh...

spidergrl
what belt are you in taekwondo and have you gone into any competitions??

TrAnCeDuO
ive been told that tkd use bo staffs...what else do they use?

spidergrl
taekwondo ppl use a wat??

Turbo-Cajun
was Green Belt, didnt do any tae kwon do competitions, i was training for a kick boxing fight, but that didnt end up happening.... my school taught a lot of stuff like bo staff, katanas, all kinds of stuff, other stuff i dont know the names to, like when you were a more advanced student at a certain belt level... i think they started everyone at the bo though. I dont think that is strict tae kwon do, but there are a number of schools out there that teach that, but not all.

TrAnCeDuO
that doesnt make much sense...why would a korean style use japanese weapons? can you please explain that to me?

spidergrl
ok. I have 2 clubs near me and they're both strict. its nothing to do with our school, they don't really know what it is. but ours are strict and care about what you do in school etc and how your education goes

TrAnCeDuO
what about you girl? what weapons does your school teach?

Turbo-Cajun
Tae Kwon Do is punches and kicks, mostly kicks....anything else i think is outside of true tae kwon do. Our school's master was pretty big into jeet kun do for a while so we learned stuff from all over, including japanese weapons, as well as disarming knives, as well as disarming a pistol, as well as joint breaks and grappling usually taught in ju jitsu as well as a bunch of other shit....

TrAnCeDuO
as for my school(samurai jiu jitsu) we subliminally learn the art of the samurai sword...other weapons include
Boken
Jo staff
kobo
hambo
yawara
Jutte
tensen-fan
Hojo-rope
tanto
handcuffs

Turbo-Cajun
Do you spar often?

TrAnCeDuO
nah...but i will start doing that soon enough with one of the brown belts...

Turbo-Cajun
i used to spar like all the time, there was a time where i training alot and i sparred like an hour or two a day, everyday...it was baddass. I did twenty rounds in the ring once....it was brutal, i was in hella good shape back then, i need to get back into that shit.

TrAnCeDuO
i would sword spar with my friends but since school has started we dont really have much time anymore...also it doesnt really help that my boken and kendo are starting to show major signs of wear and tear.>_<

spidergrl
i love to spar/fight. i travel all round the world competiting smile

Turbo-Cajun
sweet, i just found a new sparring partner today....i got to get all my equip from my parents house smile

Baylin
Woo 'bout time we had a decent martial arts thread around here!

I do Ju Jitsu which I love because of the variety, we do all sorts of techniques from unarmed to armed combat.
The weapons we use are -

Sword - with either live blades or bokkens
Bo
Jo
Han Bo
Tan Bo
Tonfa
Nunchaku
Sai
Kama
and hopefully soon we going to introduce the Naginata.

spidergrl
i would love to do martial arts with sword or something. taekwondo doesn't really use weaponds, its more of a foot and hand combat. its real fun and all but if you think about it, if someone comes up to you on the streets with a stick or metal or something like that then you're really not going to get out of that one easy are you. thats why i think they should bring in weapons and teach them to the older and mature teenagers etc

Turbo-Cajun
You should do something like jeet kun do then....or at least read Bruce Lee's book on it, its pretty good stuff

Baylin
Hey Spidergrl,

Do they not have unarmed against weapons techniques in TKD. The ones we use basically involve you getting as close to the assailant as possible, this will not only surprise your attacker but it also takes the energy out of their attack.
Quite simple in principle but I found it took a bit of getting used to the idea of moving in to a weapon attack rather than away from it.
Aikido utilises these sorts of techniques quite a lot. smile

spidergrl
Hey Baylin eek! hello !!

no we don't use any sort of weapon where i practice taekwondo. like for tournaments you can hit each other but thats only with your hands and feet. we occationly get a fake knife to muck around with or stuff buts thats as far as we go. one of our instructors does karate as well and well that beathing stuff is as boring as hell, so we normally go round the back and do our own stuff.

TrAnCeDuO
you lucky bastard you! we have those weapons too but my soke doesnt use them in jiu jitsu...oh well...maybe ill take up his iaido or karate class...

spidergrl
yea i know, i wish that i had weapons like that in taekwondo. its dumb i reackon they should teach us how to defend ourselves and not this breathing crap that they got us teenages doing. mad

TrAnCeDuO
you talking about yoga? if not then i disagree...theres alot of important factors in martial arts... and breathing is a key one..especially for people like me who aernt too good in the stamina department...

spidergrl
no, im not talking about yoga. im talking about standing in one spot for 2 hours breathing in and breathing out and just standing on the spot doing that. fun a?? not.....yea its important to beathe and all but is it really necessary for 2 hours standing there. come on.......!!!

TrAnCeDuO
messed your teacher must be crazy! 2hours!? at most we only do it for 45 seconds!

spidergrl
yea i no......crazy man!! yes he's stupid and we stand that and you can't help but to crap up laughing

Baylin
What an insolent attitude you people have, breathing is the single most important thing you can do! I try to do it for at least 24 hours a day.... stick out tongue

No seriously, breathing technique is important as it helps improve stamina, focus and power although 2 hours is a bit excessive!

Sounds like your instructor may have forgotten his lesson plan and couldn't think of anything else better either that or he was taking the pi**... laughing out loud

Kohldia
I've been studying Karate Goju-Ryu for 10 years now, breathing is a good way to learn self control, if you just want to learn how to defend yourself in a few months, go out into the slums and sneak up on someone...that's the only way you'll learn it within a few weeks. In martial arts there is no such thing as a quick fix for self defence...I know that because I was just as naive as you guys...take pride in what you do, question anything you dont understand and never ever make the mistake of getting in a fight too early.

Kohldia
I've been doing Karate for almost a good 10 years now and reached brown belt. Dont get me wrong, the sport is fantastic but the form I practice is Goju Ryu, one of the more demanding and traditional forms of Karate.
Who heres been doing Karate? How long have you been participating in it and what form?

Baylin
Good way of ending up either seriously injured or dead...

One thing that is often stressed by my sensei is that yeah it's good fun doing martial arts but in putting it into practice can be dangerous as they can lull you into a false sense of security if someone tries to mug you.

You have to remember that the people who really master fighting arts dont just train a couple of hours a week, they have to train all day every day in order to keep their skills well honed.

Baylin
We do little bits of Shotokan along side Ju Jitsu at my club. One of the black belts is also a black belt Shotokan of 30 odd years so when we're doing strikes and blocks it tends to be Shotokan styled.

I do find it very fascinating and if I had more time I'd take proper karate lessons along my Ju Jitsu.

G.P
I've merged the 'Karate' and the 'Martial Arts' threads.

Kohldia
Kinda noticed...thanks for confusing us all :P

Good to see someone understands me Baylin, I'm glad you understand the finer points of the Art.

TrAnCeDuO
i dont think thats too good of an idea...(sorry if i cant detact sarcasm) but yeah i do like jiu jitsu...the only problem is that im just not committed and motivated enough to make a decent amount of progress...do you have any ideas to help me out?

Baylin
Thats fine, like anything else you'll get out of it what you put in and the motivation can only come from within.

You may be inspired by watching films and real fights but unless you can summon the motivation and self discipline from within your self you wont make a decent amount of progress.

Also sometimes you just just need to be patient. When I started out I didnt think I knew anything until I graded and then I was gobsmacked at just how much I had learned without realising...

spidergrl
hey guys just thought that i would let you know that im leaving KMC because Raz thinks im a sock with blackc@t and i don't want my mate to get banned because we're two different people. so carry on this forum and might see you at a tournament one day.
cya no sad

TrAnCeDuO
good luck and goodbye...may you always follow the path of bushido...

Baylin
bu buy sad

spidergrl
guess who's back........................??
:eck: ME !!!!!!!!!!!!! big grin
Raz found out that we weren't socks and im back for good big grin
so where were we ??? big grin

Baylin
YAY! big grin

You were about to demonstrate 2 hours of breathing... wink

Shaolin Monk
We have no martial arts schools in my town anymore...closest ones are about an hour away.

I was lucky to meet a man at a High School Basketball game, who was talking about Northern Shaolin Kung Fu.

I took an 8 week course that he taught, free of charge (which was awesome...held outside of a museum), covering the basics of Shaolin Long Fist and Eagle Claw.

I'm hoping he will start something up again. I had a lot of fun, and want to learn a lot more.

TrAnCeDuO
damn i dont know what to say. the best i can suggest is that you buy books and tapes or go to budokais(tournaments) but remember that there is no substitute for experience. i wish you luck.

spidergrl
yesssssss ummmmmmm about that breathing...... sad
i have enough of it at training so i'll leave you too it on KMC big grin

Baylin
*breathes in, breathes out breathes in, breaths out...* roll eyes (sarcastic)

spidergrl
Go Baylin.......you have it down to fine art !!! big grin
in...............and............out.................

Baylin
*Goes dizzy and passes out from hyperventilating...*

We did a great session on knife fighting/defense last week. Bascially instead of a knife we used marker pens to indicate when you get cut - it is amazing just how difficult it is to defend against a knife without getting cut!

spidergrl
we practice with fake knives that look very very real big grin

*she grabs and fake knife and pretends to stab herself...........and then relises its a real one sad *

TrAnCeDuO
my katana rusted slightly when i kept it in the sheath too long and my dad says that i should keep the sword drawn out of the sheath like he has medieval sword. but i dont really trust him so what should i do?

spidergrl
umm you asking the wrong person here. i guess for anything kind of metal or what ever i guess you want to keep it out of dark damp places. you may be take it out and or put it somewhere with a bit of heat?? wink

Baylin
There's plenty of websites out there that tell you how to maintain your sword properly.

If you practice with it regularly it will need cleaning after every session. The oils in human skin is corrosive and will cause the steel to rust.

If you dont you could try using a light clear grease on the blade, this will stop the air getting to it and rusting it. wink

TrAnCeDuO
ill try that...thanks!big grin

spidergrl
well just shows me that i know absoluely nothing about swords big grin

Baylin
I broke one of my toes last night! sad

Right at the begining of the lesson as well sad

That didn't stop me training, although after 2.5 hours of jujitsu it had swollen right up and is now very bruised looking big grin wink

spidergrl
gutted!! what are you doing about it?? do you have it strapped or anything like that??

Baylin
Yeah I just taped it to the bigger toe next to it. It's alright it doesn't hurt much now although it's gone a lovely shade of purple... blink

spidergrl
ohh yea it sounds so lovely. i brove mi small finger and had my whole arm in a cast for 6 weeks sad

Baylin
Has anyone ever tried making their own weapons?

I made a three section staff.
I found it really difficult to swing around without clobbering myself...boxed

TrAnCeDuO
i once had a pair of these

but one of the blades had broken off.
i took the blade and shoved in the sheathing slot for the still functional one.
now i have myself a tanto swordbreaker! big grin

by the way...

i found a instruction file here.

spidergrl
aswome, yea. i haven't ever gone out and made my own weapons.
i'll tell you a little story and no laughing:
our group of us young taekwondo players traveled to the home country of tkd - korea!! and koreans are fast at everything and i mean everything. anyway we were at one of the masters clubs which we're staying at, and we walk in to the dojang and they had got swords out and numb chucks (i can't spell) and swinging them around amd doing all this fancy stuff. anyway we hooped on the mat and they gave them to us to have a go - not a good idea. we were little and didn't really know what to do with them. so we started swinging them around etc etc. and the next thing i no my m8 beside me swang so hard while our master from korea was behind her that she smashed him in the face.

conclusion: one big black eye and a cracked jaw
- don't trust New Zealanders with numb chucks, eva, eva again!!!

Baylin
laughing out loud

My next weapons creation are going to be numb chucks... (Nunchaku)

spidergrl
yea it was a tad funi

TrAnCeDuO
hmm...you give me an ideashifty...maybe i can take the broken tanto and turn into a *gasp*

SWORDCHUCKS! eek!

spidergrl
ummmmmmmmok sad

* runs and hids under a desk hoping the swordchucks don't break and hit spidergrl

Baylin
*dodges TrAnCeDuO's flying fingers and ducks behind nearest solid object...*

spidergrl
* spidergrl runs with Baylin behind the solid object as them see pieces of debrue (sp?) flying everywhere.

Baylin
Do any of you practice healing arts such as shiatsu or kuatsu along side your fighting arts.
We do basic first aid at our club but just out of interest I've just started a shiatsu course. I think it is very important to be able to put your sparring partners back together after you've broken them...boxingcrutch

spidergrl
we don't learn how to help people. we have the rule - if you don't have your hands up and get kicked - then its your fault. deal with it.....!!

Baylin
I thinks that could be where TKD and Jujitsu are vastly different.

In TKD you make a mistake or something goes wrong you get hit.
In Jujitsu when things go wrong bones get snapped...stretcher

TrAnCeDuO
thats very true. last sunday i was over at one of the blackbelts house practicing when he got into a leg lock and re-broke his leg.

spidergrl
reali shit?? the worst i've ever got is when i broke my finger and had to get my whole arm in a cast for 6 weeks

badboy2004
thats harsh i've split my head several times doing martial arts

Turbo-Cajun
bruised rib... split lip...

Baylin
I've pretty much bruised most of my body at some point or another. Last week I thought I'd broke a toe but it seems fine now so maybe it was just badly bruised.

Hey Spidergrl there's a TKD club opening up near me so I'm thinking of checking it out as I've no real experience of Korian MA so I think it will be interesting.

TrAnCeDuO
ive always been told to go and check out other styles...but dont you think thats a bit...awkward?

spidergrl
awsome - where abouts do you live??
when you come back from one of their trainings send a post or PM me and tell me who it was - be great to know what kind of stuff they do there eek!

spidergrl
yea i've tried a few different martial arts - but nothings the same for me big grin
yea i know what you mean. you walk in and they're like hi what martial art do you do and your like ........ and they're like aaaaaaaa dumb!! and walk off sad quiet dis-heartning realli - puts you off that sport confused

TrAnCeDuO
they mock your martial art?im sorry to hear that. thats never happened to me and the people at my dojo certainly wouldnt ever do that!messed

spidergrl
yea like in nz, we have two different 'groups' of taekwondo. and to travel over seas with tkd you need to be part of their club thing as well. and when i went there they're all like
'omg you suck. union sucks. go away. blah blah blah'
i was like sheshhhhhhhhh carm your panties down!!

Baylin
I dunno sometimes a little rivalry can be fun so long as it doesn't get out of hand. The Jujitsu Ryu I'm a member of is pretty much split into North and South divisions. I train in the North and we often find at big Ryu meetings, whilst we are respectfull of them they often try and be all high and mighty and have a "Because we have more black belts we are better then you" attitude. The thing is we train "harder" than they do.
For example when we do wall work we do proper wall breakfalls, which compared to landing on mat is pretty damn hard the southern clubs dont so by the end of the meetings they go home complaining of being bruised and hurting all over whilst we go home taking the pi** out of them for being soft... big grin

TrAnCeDuO

our jiu jitsu soke would never allow any of that.

Baylin
Its ok because it's all taken in good humour, and given that the head of our association is based in the South, if he didn't like it he would stop it, or kick us out...

spidergrl
yea. sori i haven't be able to come on line lately i got exams and won't be able to come on line much either.
i hate my father right now - dads said that i wasn't allowed to train from now on till the end of my exams at all. thats like a month

TrAnCeDuO
but aernt martial arts supposed to help both body and mind?

spidergrl
yea martial arts are mi life. i thought that he would understand that but obviously not!! i think mi mother told him to say that to me. he's like a dog - follows every dame thing she says

TrAnCeDuO
well i wish the best for you... keep your skills sharp now. sad

TrAnCeDuO
oh yeah btw can somone list me some martial art sites?

Baylin
Here's a few I've found useful -

www.karatekorner.com/messageboard is quite good.
www.aikiweb.com has loads of useful stuff on it
www.artoftheninja.com has a good weapons section
www.taiji.de very good tai chi website
www.wonder-okinawa.jp excellent for traditional Okinawan karate
www.jujitsu.org.il/english/techniques.asp
www.dimmak.net

The best thing though is to search through google there are thousands of website out there offering all sorts of wierd and wonderful stuff

spidergrl
yea there are two good search engines. ones www.google.com and the other one is www.ask.com
they're both really good and will give you heaps of informtion. for the 'ask' one you just type in a question and it will answer it or give you web sites to check out about it

TrAnCeDuO
...ok im too lazy to get them myself...sue me.no expression

Tkdgurl
I busted my left knee back in May at my TKD school and it's been acting up ever since. Any suggestions on how to strengthen it?

spidergrl
ummm ok well i've hurt my ankle before and my knee. what i did was when i had finsihed trining after a night. i would come home and ice it and then put deep heat (weat bag) on it 10 minutes for each like 3 times. make sure that you stretch before you train and after you train. warm it up prop before you train. also start to do some stretching at it at home - start off gently with some pressure etc and work the strength up. if the pain persists see your local GP or thyso

Baylin
When you say busted do you mean you popped the knee cap? This probably the most common type of knee injury. The usual problems following this kind of injury is painful clicking and occassional re-misplacment.
Anyhow spidergrl's right you really need to see a physio therapist they will be able to give you exercises to strengthen the muscles, tendons and ligaments that support the knee.

DarthCyrax
i study jeet kwen do

TrAnCeDuO
is it good!? ive been dying to check it out!

spidergrl
dumb dumb dumb - same!!

TrAnCeDuO
what you mean?

spidergrl
don't no. didn't know what to say and just wrote tat. don't mind me....

AdventChild
Hey is there any one here that can do a butterfly twist, 540, 720, ariel, 540 hook kick, gainer, wall flip, barrel, and anything else that i didn't mention?

TrAnCeDuO
ive never heard of em. can you tell me which art they are from?

spidergrl
i know how to do a couple. i know the hook kick

Baylin
They all sound very acrobatic kung fu style moves like Shoalins would do.
We dont do anything like that in my style of Jujitsu sad

TrAnCeDuO
damn it!! my right thigh is bloody killing me! plus both of arms hurt from practicing with my sword(i did 100 sword strikes and then some) any ideas?

spidergrl
as i suggested to some before. the ice and then heat really helped me. after doing anything ice and then heat for 10 minutes each and then do tha a couple of times. also if you can get some to massage it with pain relief cream and make sure they really get in the skin.

Baylin
^ What spidergrl said - although I dont use cold packs now because cold causes me intense joint pains - guess I'm showing me old age....

spidergrl
hahahaha why how old are you baylin??

Fearnix
Helllo all this is my first post here big grin
THanx TrAnCeDuO for telling me abot it

spidergrl
congrats and welcome!!

Baylin
Well you could just check my profile...

... I reached the big 30 last week! wink

Fearnix
Thank you big grin

Fearnix
I am trying to teach myself capoeira at the moment.

Baylin
Wow you taking on a challenge there my friend. My Jujitsu sensei is learning Capoeira and he says it is very difficult to learn.

Fearnix
Yeah its very hard.
but because i do ballet i am very agile.

TrAnCeDuO
could you please provide an explanation for this"Capoeira"?

Fearnix
what do you mean ?

TrAnCeDuO
what is it?

Fearnix
???

TrAnCeDuO
0_o well? are you going to explain?

TrAnCeDuO
oh forget it ill go look it up myself.

TrAnCeDuO
ahh i remember discovery channel saying something about this. i always wanted to check it out.

Baylin
#

Well that certainly an advantage, though i would have thought seeking out a qualified instructor would be very prudent just so that you can experience "sparring" I use that term loosely because it doesnt really look like sparrinf when you see adepts practicing it.

spidergrl
i've never tried to teach myself self defence. i mean if i had a book or a tape it may be alright but if not.....im stuffed

Fearnix
I'm Really Really sorrry embarrasment
My comp died and i could not get the internet to work embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment

TrAnCeDuO
its okay fearnix

as for spidergrl...do you mean that you are at a point where you just cant remember another technique? if not you could always use some tkd and kick them just try to use hands to divert stuff. if i can ill try to find some nice books or instructions okay?

spidergrl
TrAnCeDuO - thanks that would be very helpful.

wat i meant was, well we learn self-defence at tkd but i mean some of its just dame right stupid!! i mean yea its good but some very unrealistic. i've never had a book to teach myslef. but im sure that i wouldn't mind learning it because i do know i use to get picked on and should would be good to know how to really do something if you know what i mean confused

Baylin
As a representative of martial arts my sensei is as good as anyone but as a rep of self-defense he's not so good. His philosophy is this -

For all the cost and hard work that you need to put into training to become good enough that what you've learnt my possibly be suitable to the situation your in it's actually quicker, cheaper and easier just to take the kicking and get over it... blink

Scary thing is it's actually true however that does not mean studying martial arts is waste of time!

spidergrl
ohh course martial arts isn't a wastle of time. i think more people should join i mean. martial arts can help you become the person your going to become when your older. it will make you more confident in yourself and i think it will make your character a more stonger and out there person....

Baylin
Indeed, I could not imagine not training, in fact I get edgy when I'm working nights and cant train - maybe I'm just sad...

spidergrl
no your not sad.........just means that your committed. i mean i can't train till next week after exams, and i found that i want to get up at 5.30 in the mornings and go for runs. i miss mi tkd and sericly its strange without it. hehehe im going to belguim in feb for a tkd tournament and also london, frnace, us, uk hehehe

Baylin
Nice thumb up

spidergrl
yea i hope that i learn alot over there, i mean compared to new zealand they are awsome are we are nothing.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>