Contagion throughout History

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Janus Marius
Discuss flus, viral catastrophies, and so on throughout time. Their impact, their causes, everything. Also, feel free to draw comparisons and ideas with the new upcoming avian bird flu.

Some to consider:

Black Plague

Spanish Flu

AIDS scare

Plague of Athens

etc.

debbiejo
OK...here we go new thread.........The Black Death was a devastating pandemic that first struck Europe in the mid-14th century (1347–51), killing up to a third of Europe's population, an estimated 34 million people. A series of similar epidemics occurred across large portions of Asia and the Middle East during the same period, indicating that the European outbreak was actually part of a multi-regional pandemic........Wrath of god it was said to be.

Janus Marius
The figures were that high? What about the causes? I heard fleas on rats.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Janus Marius
The figures were that high? What about the causes? I heard fleas on rats. Well at first they thought it was coming from the dogs and cats, so they burned them all, which made the rat population grow even larger. Later it was found that it was a disease carried by the fleas on the rats....Once the fleas got into your house, you were doomed....Fleas got into you bedding, clothes, hair.

Janus Marius
Yeah, I seem to recall hearing that awhile back.

Swirly Girl
Yeah, the fleas carried the disease, which the host rats invariably caught and were invariably mistaken for being the culprit.

T.M
The Spanish Flu was worse than the Plague.. It is thought that up to 100 million people died from the Spanish Flu.. Easily more than the Plague or any other pandemic in human history.

ladygrim
never heard of the plague of athens erm im gonna google that big grin laughing out loud

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by T.M
The Spanish Flu was worse than the Plague.. It is thought that up to 100 million people died from the Spanish Flu.. Easily more than the Plague or any other pandemic in human history.

When did that occur?

Janus Marius
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
When did that occur?

Spanish Flu outbreak was right after WWI, and it killed more people than the war itself, though I heard estimates of 30 million, not 100 million.

T.M
Spanish Flu outbreak was right after WWI, and it killed more people than the war itself, though I heard estimates of 30 million, not 100 million.

It was up to 100 million.. it was more than 30 mill anyway.. It is thought to be from 50 million to 100 million.. I think it was closer to 100 mill than 50 though.

Fatal Smoke
For Clarification Spanish Flu epidemic=Influenza epidemic.

Janus Marius
Originally posted by T.M
It was up to 100 million.. it was more than 30 mill anyway.. It is thought to be from 50 million to 100 million.. I think it was closer to 100 mill than 50 though.

You were right. That's the correct estimate.

T.M
You were right. That's the correct estimate.

I know.. big grin

Janus Marius
Originally posted by T.M
I know.. big grin

Don't get all cocky now. I'll edit the Wiki article and then you'll be wrong.

T.M
Don't get all cocky now. I'll edit the Wiki article and then you'll be wrong.

laughing out loud

ðµhµl gê†ñåh
lol for some reason im quite partial to the bubonic plague, not only does it have a neato name, but fleas, some of the smallest creatures living in houses today, brought the end of a massive amount of people in a very short time window.

aids sure its scary, but dont get cut and dont have sex and do introvenus drugs and bammo no aids.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.