Siege Warfare

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Janus Marius
A staple of the ancient world, especially where castles, fortresses, and walled cities were the targets.

The focus of this thread will be to discuss siege warfare, it's impacts, how it's done, and discuss key examples.

Also, how has siege warfare changed over the years? In your opinion, is it still the same thing today in practice?

Swirly Girl
I don't think that siege warfare is the same as it was in the medieval period. Warfare has definetly advanced in it's general application and tactics. That's not to mention the advent of the aeroplane, which further revolutionised war.

Alliance
ICBMs and other missiles have change it the most though. Now we just push puttons and destroy ourselves. If we get up, its just to go get a coffee. Airplanes you still have to get up and go over there and fight.

Darth Macabre
We've definitely come a long way from using the Trebuchet, that's for sure.

Janus Marius
So then the term is obsolete? Or is it?

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Janus Marius
So then the term is obsolete? Or is it?

Hm, (in my opinion) yes it is an obsolete term...Mobile warfare is far more potent then Siege.

Janus Marius
So let's change the direction of the topic... aside from Constantinople, what are some excellent examples of Siege warfare throughout recorded history?

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Janus Marius
So let's change the direction of the topic... aside from Constantinople, what are some excellent examples of Siege warfare throughout recorded history?

The city of Aleppo was sieged during the crusades (but never taken), and then Hulegu of the Mongols sieged it in 1260.

The Mongols were probably best at siege warfare.

Whenever I hear Siege warfare, I always laugh at Hannibal...That was his weak point. His inability to siege Rome.

Janus Marius
I always think of Constantinople for some reason. Perhaps that's because it's when the first "big guns" were used. I also think of Vicksburg.

Koenig
Wellington's siege of Badajoz 1812 was a real bloody one.

Lightsnake
The great siege of Barad-Dur was possibly the greatest siege in history

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Lightsnake

In Fiction perhaps, but it's not history.

Great Vengeance

Lol.

Blaxican Style

Wow dude. You must have like, the biggest balls in the world to post that...or the most stupidity.

Swirly Girl
No, Barad-dur was the greatest siege...

Anyway, I tend to think of the last siege of Constantinople, when it fell...

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Swirly Girl
No, Barad-dur was the greatest siege...

In fiction...Not history.

ðµhµl gê†ñåh
to me one "recent" account of "almsot" seige war fare was the cuban missile crisis. but basically it was a relatively useless way of defeating an opponent, and actually quite barbaric...... i mean come on.... throwing things at ur opponent?? what are we 5?

now bio warfare is what i like, its much more fun smile

Philip_ll
Actually,The Greatest Military Siege in History happens to be the siege of Tyre by Alexander The Great. Tyre was an impregnable island city/fortress, which had never been taken. Alexander ordered the Macedonians to build a 200 yard wide landbridge from the mainland to the island. It is considered to be the most incredible military feat in history. Look it up. Parts of this landbridge still exists to this very day.

DigiMark007
We all have internet access, and I would assume reasonable access to technology. We're spoiled. Siege warfare still happens in areas of the world without state-of-the-art tech and weaponry. African tribes might have made the switch from spears to guns (not entirely though) but this sort of thing isn't completely dead.

Personally, I love reading about castles/sieges/etc. It's somewhat of a lost art with modern warfare, and while the Middle Ages were largely terrible for the populace, that aspect of it manages to fascinate me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.