Favorite ancient civilization

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Janus Marius
This one's simple; pick the ancient civilization that you like best, and explain why. Please note the "Other" option in case yours isn't on the list.

debbiejo
I'd have to go with Greece. Their history is so colorful and full of gods and myths, and they were really enlightened with government enactments...Ya just got to love those group bathing that the Romans also adapted..........Oh, and the clothes, the clothes..and hair styles too..lol..........Though Egypt is also interesting if you like dry weathered skin..........

Bardock42
Originally posted by Janus Marius
This one's simple; pick the ancient civilization that you like best, and explain why. Please note the "Other" option in case yours isn't on the list.

Hmm, maybe you should have specified what Greek civilizations. But very good thread.

Hmm, well for me it would probably be Greece. Mostly because I like Athens and Sparta. I find the discipline and heroicness of Sparta admirable. And obviously the enlightendness of Athens, the philosophy and sciences. Just a very nice culture I think.

Janus Marius
Yeah, Greece is a bit more diverse, but I was lacking in poll options. Also, you two should vote. Voting is democratic. And fun. I think.

debbiejo
ok.......oh and some of the great art scultures and sciences came from Greece...

Bardock42
I don't know very much aboiut the others. But I think Greece and Rome are great cultures...well Rome had it'S ups and downs...but still very, very admirable.

debbiejo
Yeah Rome was cool, but adapted many of the things of Greece even the gods and senate. They only changed the names of the gods, but I think the Romans go a bit greedy, and had problems from within. I think they started having some problems with a few Caesars declaring themselves god....And then there was that Cleopatra.....People didn't like that at all.......

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
Yeah Rome was cool, but adapted many of the things of Greece even the gods and senate. They only changed the names of the gods, but I think the Romans go a bit greedy, and had problems from within. I think they started having some problems with a few Caesars declaring themselves god....And then there was that Cleopatra.....People didn't like that at all.......

Well I think it goes basically downhill after Marcus Aurelius.

100BC to that is great though...

Swirly Girl
Meh, Persian is probably my favourite ancient culture.

Eis
Rome, no question. That's the most popular choice... damn I feel unoriginal now.

Alliance
This one is so hard.

The Egyptians: WOW. They had amazing culture/architecture and seemingly did everything first from pyramids to paper.

The Greeks:
Myceneans - ok, good but not #1
Classic Greece: WOW. The Atheninan empire was amazing and incredible resonant throught history. And everyon like Sparta
Macedonians: WOW. robbed their culture form the Greeks and spread it across the world.

Indus Valley: good plumbing, but other than that I know little about them.

Elam: iffy, unless your going to consider the Sumerians, the Akkadians, the Assyrians, the Babylonians, and the Persians all an extension of this civilization. then WOW. (btw, I always play as Cyrus and the Persinas in CivIV :lolsmile

Shang: ok, but not as personally fascinating so I'll pass judgement.

Israelites: No.

Rome: WOW. WOW. WOW. Nuff' said. I think Roman history is fascinating. (This gets my vote)

Other: Where are the Khmer, The Maya, The Aztecs? I think these are among many interseting and powerful favorite civiliztions.

I vote Rome.

Quiero Mota
China, Mexico, and Persia.

Darth Macabre
Etruscan, even though they were eventually integrated with Rome.

Alliance
and wuith quite an influence i might add. I always liked the Campaigninans and the Thracians (just because Campaignia and Thracian sound cool laughing out loud ) <ahem> but they both hade inflences on Roman culture, especially the Campaignians's influence on the gladiatorial games.

Darth Macabre
Not only Gladiatorial games, but also writing and over all entertainment.

Alliance
very true

debbiejo
Ya know I did hear that Rome had the first real aqua ducts ie plumbing system....don't know for sure if it's true though....
The contrast with the two are quite amazing with their zeal of what they felt was important to their beliefs.

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Alliance
Israelites: No.

Got something against Jews embarrasment ?

But seriously, I think that Jewish history is very interesting. The religion that came out of their culture had immeasurable influence on humanity and the history of their people is just as compelling. Sure they weren't as "civilized" or "sophisticated" as the Greeks or Romans, but that doesn't make their culture any less rich.

Alliance
I don't have anything against the Jews...its silly to suggest so.

The poll was favorite ancient civilization. The Isrealites just have never really interested me...thats all.

And debbiejo, i don't think Rome was the first to build aqueducts of plumbing (i think the Indus civilizatiosn did plumbing first), but they were very good at it. The complexity of their public works is amazing.

And Athens-Sparta dichotomy is VERY fun.

Koenig
Rome got my vote.

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Alliance
I don't have anything against the Jews...its silly to suggest so.

I was just kidding. big grin

Alliance
laughing out loud

never can be too suspicious shifty

lil bitchiness
Probably Maya civilisation.

I always had a great fascination with the Maya...and their 'mysterious dissaperance'.

Alliance
a fine choice, although I see Rome has taken off... no expression

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Probably Maya civilisation.

I always had a great fascination with the Maya...and their 'mysterious dissaperance'.

Which directly contrasts my choice...Etruscans and their mysterious Appearance.

WrathfulDwarf
Sumerians

debbiejo
How about myths???........Atlantians??

KingDubya
I'm amazed that Sumer (the FIRST civilization, by most accounts) isn't on the poll...

Alliance
Originally posted by debbiejo
How about myths???........Atlantians??

I dont think mythalogical civilizations count as historical accuracies.

..but they are part of history.

Echuu
1st prize for me goes to Greece. Love Sparta and all that jazz.
Still gotta love Rome and Egypt.
Ancient Israel fought some very interesting battles.

Alliance>.........already known and off topic but..... your sigs still fricken rock.

Alliance
laughing out loud thank Echuu...always appreciated big grin

Philip_ll
I'm gonna have to say GREECE, for the simple fact that i would've loved to have been a Hoplite soldier. Plus, both of my parents happen to be Greek.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.