Can we live without lies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tired Hiker
Is telling lies part of nature, like eating and breathing?

Mindship
I don't know if we can (probably not). But I've often wondered how much simpler and sweeter life would be, how much stronger we all would be, if honesty prevailed.

Tired Hiker
True. But then there would be no yin and no yang. Life would be so perfect that change would become inevitable, and lies would be abound. I wonder if there are moments on Earth when everything is true for a split second, like; is there ever a time when someone isn't taking a crap? Is there ever a moment when someone on Earth isn't talking?

debbiejo
But lies are also used to save one from hurting anothers feelings. Or in cases like the People hiding the Jews in their houses during WWII.

Tired Hiker
Originally posted by debbiejo
But lies are also used to save one from hurting anothers feelings. Or in cases like the People hiding the Jews in their houses during WWII.

Yes, therefore lies neither be right nor wrong, or both.

Soleran
Originally posted by Tired Hiker

Can you stop telling lies?

Tired Hiker
Originally posted by Soleran

I don't know. Can you?

Soleran
I don't know. Can you?

Just answer the question! eek!

LoL what do you consider a lie? An omision of facts, an attempt to intentionally misrepresent something, what does it mean to you?

Tired Hiker
Just answer the question! eek!

LoL what do you consider a lie? An omision of facts, an attempt to intentionally misrepresent something, what does it mean to you?

I did answer the question. What does it mean to you?

Soleran
I did answer the question. What does it mean to you?

Since this is your thread i would like to hand the honors over to you to answer the question you first posted................

Tired Hiker
If I knew the answer, I wouldn't have asked! eek!

Mindship
Sure ting, mon. whistling1

Debbiejo> Good point.

Soleran
The intent and time determines the "value" of a lie to me.

As long as there is self-interest there will be lies.

Janus Marius

To answer your question: is telling lies part of nature, I would argue that it may or may not be part of human nature. To further elaborate, I'd note that human beings are self-interested, and if telling a lie meant preserving a strong interest, humans will do so. The only (rare) exception would be someone to whom the interest of honesty trascends everything else or at least, everything he or she's got on the line. So the act itself isn't really similar to eating and breathing (Since those are basic needs), but it most certainly stems from the natural human self interest mode.

To answer the topic question: Can we live without lies? the answer is yes. Probably not for very long (Since telling the truth can get you in all sorts of trouble), but it is possible. Prudent? Depends on how you look at it. The only reason to not lie would be to further some personal code of honor, or to perhaps take responsibility for your own actions and thoughts. Otherwise, not lying would be almost wasteful. Everybody lies.

WrathfulDwarf

I find it impossible for a person not to lie during their lifetime. Whoever claims they never lie....are lying.

lord xyz
Is telling lies part of nature, like eating and breathing? have you heard of Psychology? wink

Student Sage
A lie is anything short of absolute truth. Truth does not vary, it is the always so. It never leads one to anything but itself. A lie is misleading and twisted, it leads to speculation.
Can one live without lies? Yes, by realizing he is part of the always so....as long as he tells the truth. rolling on floor laughing
Shonti

KingDubya
It is human nature to do that which is forbidden or scolded upon (which is why people curse so much in society). So if lying becomes morally correct and telling the truth becomes something to punish little children for, then people might start telling the truth a bit more.

debbiejo
NO.............It can be to the betterment to humanity.

Shakyamunison
yes

johnny cash fan
havent you seen the movie liarliar.
we need to lie about good or bad things.
if we lived without lies everyone would be an @$$.

goatstradamus
Of course we can.
Honesty is more then just speaking your mind...after all, are minds are often distorted and wrong.

judgments and assumptions do not = the truth.
Consider yourself when you find your mind judging someone else, because it probably has nothing to do with them.

xmarksthespot

No. Lies are the foundation of human society.

Alliance
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
No. Lies are the foundation of human society.
What do you have to back that up?

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Alliance
What do you have to back that up? That without lies human society would break down.

Alliance
That wasnt back up.

xmarksthespot
Remove lies from society and then we'll see...
herbshock

Alliance
Thats not a practical experiment. Apparently you are unable to back up your claim with concrete examples. Your point is entirely unbased rhetoric.

xmarksthespot
Duh. The entire philosophy forum is unbased rhetoric.

Alliance
reason to continue such a trend?

xmarksthespot
It pleases me. And my life is nothing but the endless pursuit of pleasure being the godless heathen that I am.

Moonlight
Withought lies there would be only truth, withought truth there would only be lies. Lies and truth are like light and dark. You cant have one withought the other. A lie would keep you from hurting someone, and the truth would hurt them, and yet when neither are told it crushes the person not saying either.

redcaped
First, the world needs a drastic change...when people stop from feeling compromised.

Maestro
Well its possible to an extent in some religious groups or individuals, but in reference to the '7 sins', most lies have a foundation rooting from here. So in short, it's practically inevitable for lies to be present, as theres always going to be greed,pride,envy,etc present in society.

darthivader
noup

Storm
Lies... it' s hard enough to communicate when you' re telling the truth.

Fishy
Originally posted by Storm
Lies... it' s hard enough to communicate when you' re telling the truth.

That's why we have lies, they make stuff easier smile

Storm
Difficult to predict all the variables when you keep tossing more variables in.

Lord Urizen
I'd rather someone tell me a pleasant lie, like "I think you're gorgeous" than for someone to tell me a cruel truth "I think your ugly"

Shakyamunison

YES *nose begins to grow*

Lord Urizen
The fact that we have the ability to lie, I think pretty much dictates the inevitability of the omni-existance of lies.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
The fact that we have the ability to lie, I think pretty much dictates the inevitability of the omni-existance of lies.

"the inevitability of the omni-existance of lies" It's way to early for that level of bullshit. eek!

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
"the inevitability of the omni-existance of lies" It's way to early for that level of bullshit. eek!

It's never too early for that level of bullshit

Let me rephrase it then:

As long as we have the freedom to lie, then there's no way we won't. There is no way we will live our entire life without holding some kind of lie, a lie of ANY sort ofr form..... I beleive that 100%

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
It's never too early for that level of bullshit...

I played too late last night; I had too many beers; I got up too early this morning; and I'm at work with people talking to me way to much. eek! laughing

lil bitchiness

No, telling lies is NOT part of our nature. It is socially constructed, like a lot of things today we often say ae ''in our nature''.

fini
Hmmm I dont think that it possible for someone NOT to lie.

But then again there are those who are sooooooo absorbed in their own lies that it becomes their truth. Sadly I've had to deal with this on several occasions.

King Kandy
Yes, we could live without lies, but it would be a very sad and boring existence.

Lord Urizen
When you guys say "lies" do you just mean the type of lies we tell other people to avoid trouble ?

There are other types of lies as well, self-delusions for example. Many people lie to themselves all the time to cope with negativity.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by fini
Hmmm I dont think that it possible for someone NOT to lie.

That make your statement hard to accept as true

fini
lol

debbiejo
It depends on what kind of lie. Slander can be a lie which is defaming a person as apposed to protecting someone or ones self with a lie which doesn't hurt anyone. During WWII many people including Christians lied about hiding Jews in their homes, yet Christians are not suppose to lie, and in doing so found a truth that supersedes the lie.

PiruBlood
i dont think we can. thats like saying can we live without evil? no we cant. lies = evil truth = good.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by PiruBlood
i dont think we can. thats like saying can we live without evil? no we cant. lies = evil truth = good.

Why can't we live without evil?

debbiejo
Because if we didn't have evil then we wouldn't know what good was. And maybe if there was only good, with our natures the way it is, we would still find evil in it.

Fire
I think it's possible to live without lies, it would make live much harder and far more complicated but it is possible I think.

InTooDeep99
This question just leads to more questions... would you rather live in a harsh truth, such as knowing when you're going to die, or live in blissful ignorance? Is there anything that isn't worth knowing, because if there are things that we don't want to know... then we are forced to live with lies.

Drusilla
You know why people lie? 'Cause most people can be deceived way too easily. Most people don't think. I read dozens of books on how we're manipulated by everyone like politicians, TV, our own family, and how we can manipulate others, and I've gotta tell you, most people are idiots. Manipulation works like magic. The only thing people should do to avoid being deceived is start thinking.

King Nothing
We can and life would be so much better that way.

Thundar
Interesting question. I think its really necessary to define what a lie is in order to answer it. From a biblical perspective, I would define a lie as anything that acts against God's word.

So when I think of lying from a biblical sense, I usually think of a concious action which one does in order to always benefit oneself instead of God, many times with the intent to harm God and others. This type of behavior I could definitely live without.

As long as selfishness and intent to harm are not present though, I don't think that writing a good fictional story, telling a joke(as long as one can take the same type of joking back), or any related entertaining hijinks are really working against God's word, so I don't believe that they qualify as a lie in a biblical sense.

If we completely took away the stories, the jokes, and laughs away from life - then I'd take a gander at saying life would be pretty depressing, and not really worth living.

Fishy
Originally posted by Thundar
Interesting question. I think its really necessary to define what a lie is in order to answer it. From a biblical perspective, I would define a lie as anything that acts against God's word.

So when I think of lying from a biblical sense, I usually think of a concious action which one does in order to always benefit oneself instead of God, many times with the intent to harm God and others. This type of behavior I could definitely live without.

As long as selfishness and intent to harm are not present though, I don't think that writing a good fictional story, telling a joke(as long as one can take the same type of joking back), or any related entertaining hijinks are really working against God's word, so I don't believe that they qualify as a lie in a biblical sense.

If we completely took away the stories, the jokes, and laughs away from life - then I'd take a gander at saying life would be pretty depressing, and not really worth living.

And what if you take God out of the equation?

ADarksideJedi
No one is perfect and everyone lies.It is part of life!Is it a good or bad thing no but it is something that not everyone can help or can but that is when the free well comes in.
Because we have free well we can lie and reather God wants us to well that is up to him.So my answear is no we can't live without lieing.jm

Thundar
Originally posted by Fishy
And what if you take God out of the equation?

I can live without lies - can't live without God though.

ADarksideJedi
Yea we could live without lies but without God no!Take God out of the picture and this world would be worst then it is now.Jm

Drusilla
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Yea we could live without lies but without God no!Take God out of the picture and this world would be worst then it is now.Jm

How?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.