Jack Kirby's Marvel Creations

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
What was the coolest thing Jack Kirby contributed to the Marvel Universe?
I know he was collaborating with Stan on many, but others he came up with on his own. He's got a lot, but I've chosen five that have had lasting iconic appeal, or concepts still so awesome to regard, decades later. What do you think?
My man Thor isn't in this, because he's not an original creation.

R.O.T. Yahman
Darksied !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile I think anyway smile

roughrider
Darkseid and the New Gods was Kirby's best gift to DC; yes.

Mindship
Originally posted by roughrider
What was the coolest thing Jack Kirby contributed to the Marvel Universe?...My man Thor isn't in this, because he's not an original creation.

Galactus and the Silver Surfer, no doubt about it. If not for their original comic-book format, this whole story arc would've made for great literary science fiction. Period. The Surfer alone is a stroke of genius.

BTW, I would include Thor. While the concept may not be original, Jack gave the Thunder God a great new spin.

roughrider
People know the story, of how Kirby was bringing in artwork for Galactus making his debut in FF, and Lee wondered what was this silver guy on a platform doing here. Kirby figured someone like Galactus needed a herald to scout worlds and announce his coming.
A throw-in idea becomes Stan Lee's eternal fascination, and an icon.

roughrider
Though not my first choice, The Celestials are still greatly fascinating. Partly because we still know so little about them, we don't know what they truly look like, they never speak recognizable words, but their gestures have great meaning. And, they're so damn TALL.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.