Is an infinite amount of time in our future? Seriously

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ROYALGUARD
So I'm taking my Astronomy final.
Here's a little background as I understand it: Our universe is probably "flat", meaning it will expand forever, but at a slower rate all the time. Because the expansion is asymptotic (it will never quite get to zero expansion but it will get really really close. You can name how close you "want" it to be, and look up how long it would take) the universe will never stop expanding. In other words it will reach a certain final, finite, size in an infinite amount of time.

There was a question that went something like this:

Our universe:
A) Something dumb
B) Totally not right
C) Will expand until it reaches a certain size in the future
D) None of the above.

What do you think is the right answer? Does the future count as infinite?

Itzak
Philosophy Forum. no expression

Impediment
Originally posted by Itzak
Philosophy Forum. no expression

What he said.

fini
moving moving moving

Koala MeatPie
It will continue to expand. A Good Read on this Subject (and more0 is the book "Just Six Numbers" by... some guy who also wrote "Before the Big Bang" or something liek that, Anyways I read Just Six Numbers, very intresting.

Bassically, if our universe is between 0 and .999... It will eventually stop growing and because of the gravitational amsses come back down into a "Big Crunch" and create another big bang evetually (trace evdiance was found that this happened 4 times before)

If Our universe is EXACTLY 1, it will eventually stop expanding... and just stop.

If our Universe is MORE then 1, then it will continue to expand at a Squared Rate, which it is, Which is proven by Observing and measuring the distance between the stars and other glaxies.

Our unvierse is at much more then 1, probably because of the Accumulated forces of the 4 previous "Big Crunches", I don't know. But our universe is DEFINITLY at MUCH more then 1, it will eventually die off and become cold.

Spideys Sister
In 10,000 years it won't matter because the sun will expand to three times it size and kill us all... unless we die from global warming first.

Koala MeatPie
We Won't die frm Global Warming, we have allready started to evolve, may have not noticed, but Each generation is ALWAYS taller then the last.

Something with helping heat circulate and escape...

Anyways in less then 100 years we will kill each other

BlackSunshine
does this guy EVER stop??

Thorinn
1234 who cares

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by BlackSunshine
does this guy EVER stop??

? confused Wha?

BlackSunshine
I'm talking about ROYALGUARD

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
We Won't die frm Global Warming, we have allready started to evolve, may have not noticed, but Each generation is ALWAYS taller then the last.

Something with helping heat circulate and escape...

Anyways in less then 100 years we will kill each other Yeah I was wondering why I WAS taller than my mom and my dad... and I'm a girl.

ROYALGUARD
each generation becomes taller than the preceding generation due to diet, and advancing technology, medicine, etc. its called progress.

Council#13
Originally posted by Spideys Sister
In 10,000 years it won't matter because the sun will expand to three times it size and kill us all... unless we die from global warming first.

you're quite the bucket of sunshine, arent you?

DarkC
Originally posted by Spideys Sister
10,000? What the f**k?

Try 5 Billion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.