Why is killing [a person] wrong?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FeceMan
Tell me.

BackFire
Why is it right?

DarkC
If the only way to save your own life was by killing, I'd consider it acceptable.

After all, the most basic primal instinct of all life is to preserve one's own self first and foremost. Laws of Nature.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by DarkC
If the only way to save your own life was by killing, I'd consider it acceptable.

Or if you're saving another's life.

FeceMan
*SIGHS LOUDLY.*

Okay. Allow me to rephrase:

Why is killing someone--that is to say, murdering someone, unprovoked and without reason--wrong?

BackFire
What else would it be?

Eis
Originally posted by FeceMan
*SIGHS LOUDLY.*

Why is killing someone--that is to say, murdering someone, unprovoked and without reason--wrong?
For some it's because it's against God's laws, for me it's because society as we know it wouldn't be able to exist if everyone were free to kill whomever they wanted with no consequences.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
*SIGHS LOUDLY.*

Oh, it's like he's annoyed because people didn't respond explicitly to his question! Oh, it's all too much for him! Oh! Oh! Oh!

My bet is he thinks he's gots them real brain smarts. As soon as someone gives him the answer he's looking for, he's going to start running with it as an argument against the right to abortion, or use it to facilitate his opinion on some other nonsense idea.

How wonderful. He got us.

Bardock42
Tell me.

It isn't.

Nevermind
Tell me.

Because it isn't your right to take away life. Living is a basic right.

Phoenix2001
May I kill you with no motive?

PVS
*SIGHS LOUDLY.*

there is no tangible reason or definative answer for any of our morals.
the outcome of this thread, abridged: "it just is".

didnt we already do this with "why is rape wrong?" or something like that?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Phoenix2001
May I kill you with no motive?

You may. I might try to protect myself, though. And Society might kill you in return. Are you fine with that? Then cool, go ahead.

Alpha Centauri
I don't necessarily think actual murder is excusable, understandable in some cases, sure.

I don't think killing a person in general is wrong. There are many avenues to which it can be excusable. Murder, a specific type of killing, is wrong to me. As a concept. I believe you have to judge each case as it comes though. Like I said in the first line.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You've got, like, a cycle thing going on there, right?

Alpha Centauri
You've got it, kid. You's gaht it.

-AC

PVS
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't necessarily think actual murder is excusable, understandable in some cases, sure.

I don't think killing a person in general is wrong. There are many avenues to which it can be excusable. Murder, a specific type of killing, is wrong to me. As a concept. I believe you have to judge each case as it comes though. Like I said in the first line.

-AC

the overused point of this philosophical topic:

for your example of 'murder', explain why its wrong.
the whole point is that you'll never come up with a reason,
but rather only be able to site laws and personal/social/universal morals.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by PVS
didnt we already do this with "why is rape wrong?" or something like that?

Oh, that's it. I kept thinking "We've been here before..."

Yeah, it's the same deal as that thread:

Killing a person is wrong because it is a physically detrimental attack on a person with an ultimate outcome that can not be reversed.

PVS
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Killing a person is wrong because it is a physically detrimental attack on a person with an ultimate outcome that can not be reversed.

but...why is a "physically detrimental attack on a person with an ultimate outcome that can not be reversed" wrong?.

this can go on forever

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I guess because it's detrimental, or are we all getting mired in semantics?

PVS
well, it may as well be "why are things that are considered 'wrong', wrong?"

Phoenix2001
Originally posted by Bardock42
You may. I might try to protect myself, though. And Society might kill you in return. Are you fine with that? Then cool, go ahead.

I like that answer. cool

It would be in your right to protect yourself. Unless I didn't want to be killed, then I shouldn't be killing. In that sense, killing without any cause will make me wrong.

It's what I like to call, "Injustice."

Phoenix2001
Originally posted by PVS
well, it may as well be "why are things that are considered 'wrong', wrong?"

If I punched you in the face for no reason, and then I held you down so you couldn't hit back, you wouldn't consider that to be wrong??

I would be doing something nasty and evil, and know that I'm doing it just for the pleasure of causing you pain.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Looks like someone (you) missed the boat.

PVS
i think he got lost on the way to the dock

Council#13
*SIGHS LOUDLY.*

What the f**k?

Two things:

1. Why do you think it's wrong?
2. I think that you answered your own question there

PVS
hook, line, and sinker

Phoenix2001
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Looks like someone (you) missed the boat.

Originally posted by PVS
i think he got lost on the way to the dock

Man, you two are quick to cut down on someone.

PVS
Originally posted by Phoenix2001
Man, you two are quick to cut down on someone.

if you have a gift, its your responsibility to share it with everyone

Shakyamunison
*SIGHS LOUDLY.*

Because a cooperative society cannot survive if we go around and kill each other.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Because a cooperative society cannot survive if we go around and kill each other.

And why is what makes a "cooperative society" work "right"?

Shakyamunison
And why is what makes a "cooperative society" work "right"?

We are social animals, if we do not have a cooperative society, then we become subject to predation. In this case it will be ourselves that will be the predator. However, sense we are so over populated, the negative effects of this, as pertaining to our species, will take time to manifest. Once we are down to a population of 50,000 or so, we run the risk of becoming extinct.

Bardock42
We are social animals, if we do not have a cooperative society, then we become subject to predation. In this case it will be ourselves that will be the predator. However, sense we are so over populated, the negative effects of this, as pertaining to our species, will take time to manifest. Once we are down to a population of 50,000 or so, we run the risk of becoming extinct.

Yeah, yeah, interesting...why is what keeps us from being extincted "right"?

Shakyamunison
Yeah, yeah, interesting...why is what keeps us from being extincted "right"?

It's not right or wrong, it just is.

Bardock42
It's not right or wrong, it just is.

Good, we agree.

Shakyamunison
Good, we agree.

Are you sure? Right or wrong as compared to what? big grin

Bardock42
Are you sure? Right or wrong as compared to what? big grin

No, I'm not sure but if what I seem to perceive as reality actually exists we seem to agree.

Right or wrong on a universal scale. Therefore probably not existant.

Shakyamunison
No, I'm not sure but if what I seem to perceive as reality actually exists we seem to agree.

Right or wrong on a universal scale. Therefore probably not existant.

That is the problem, most of the time we only thing we know what the other person is talking about. I think we do agree. eek!

Bardock42
That is the problem, most of the time we only thing we know what the other person is talking about. I think we do agree. eek!

We might.

Blue nocturne
Tell me.

Samething as why everything else is wrong, because society says so.

Evil Dead
In the natural world, killing is not wrong or right......it simply is. Is it wrong when two lions fight to the death over territory.....to be the dominant male in that territory to have the pride?

We however no longer live in the natural world. We humans have decided to strive for social structure. The only way any social structure can work is if it's citizens are not in fear of one another......they feel safe being around other members.

That doesn't make killing wrong......it merely makes it harmful to the maintanence of a society and is therefore frowned upon by that society. If lions decided to congregate in prides of millions.......without dominant males......I'm sure killing would also be frowned upon in their society.

Ushgarak
Seeing as this is now becoming about questions like "How do we define 'wrong'", this is clearly Philosophy.

But also clearly tiresome, in that this question has been addressed in there more times than I care to count.

So, closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.