Perfectionism vs. Healthy Strivers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Clone
I think perfectionism is not a healthy pursuit of excellence. All perfectionist tell themselves that their determination to be perfect will win success, acceptance, love and fulfillment and I think most of the time the opposite occurs. Even when perfectionists do achieve, the methods they use can deprive them of the very love and acceptance they want so badly to gain. I just think there is a big difference between a perfectionist and a healthy striver, being a healthy striver is much better. For example, when someone is a healthy striver, they tend to accept failure and dissapointment only to learn from them and bounce back more confident the second time. On the other hand, perfectionist tend to think that anything that can't be done above perfection isn't worth doing at all; and failure only leads them to utter dissapointment and low self esteem by thinking that they are under achievers and don't mount to anything. Pretty much Perfectionism is more likely to complicate than enhance one's relationships with others and within themselves while healthy strivers know that failure is inevitable and have no choice but accept them. What do you think?

Tired Hiker
I think you are right for the most part. I do think there are some perfectionists who don't beat themselves to death for not succeeding. Instead, they simply don't bother with a task they might fail. That way, they will only succeed in the tasks they perform.

Storm
Perfectionism can drive people to accomplishments and provide the motivation to persevere in the face of discouragement and obstacles. Normal perfectionists set high standards for themselves but drop their standards if the situation requires it. Neurotic perfectionists however never feel that they have done their job well enough. It are the neurotic perfectionists who put themselves at risk from psychological and physical disorders.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.