The Vietnam War Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Quiero Mota
The Vietnam War is a Twentieth Century War that interests me for a number of reasons.

-It was the longest conflict in American history.

-The soldiers returned home and recieved NO respect, as they were considered "drug-crazed baby killers", where the WW2 soldiers got free drinks whenever they wore their uni's into a bar.

-The fact that it was and is so unpopular and controversial.

-A lot of music from that era, concern and are about the war: Rock, Folk, Mo-Town, and more.

-My dad was there from April 1968-April 1969. He carried a 50-cal. bi-pod and recieved the Purple Heart for getting shot once in the torso and once in his right shoulder.

Discuss anything...battles, LBJ, your own opinions and feelings, anything.

Raven Guardia
This War is also of interest to me. It was one of my favorite times in history to learn about. My dad also sevreved in Vietnam but as a medic.

FunkMaster Flex
I recently read a book on Vietnam called: Secret Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines with the Elite Warriors of SOG. It was a great book, and a true story. It shows first-hand what it was really like to be a Special Operations soldier, in the army.

Alliance

cking
here are two websites that I have found that have stats on the Vietnam war.

http://www.njscwa.org/vietnam_war_stats.html

http://my.eiis.net/cmart/vietnamwarstats.html

cking
crap those websites don't work, I find another one later.

Koenig
Originally posted by cking
crap those websites don't work, I find another one later.
Waiting

Captain REX
Still waiting. wink

My neighbor served in Vietnam, but he doesn't like to talk about it. messed

cking
well if you like to wait for nothing then that is ok with you I guess but I'm not in the mood to find anymore websites this late. sad

Grimm22
I respect any veteran, especially from the Vietnam War considering all the crap they had to go through and how little respect they got

usaflag

Those damn hippies!furious

Capt_Fantastic
I took a class in Vietnam history. The teacher was so prepared for teh class that a "Week watching 'Good Morning Vietnam" was actually on the syllabus.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Grimm22
I respect any veteran, especially from the Vietnam War considering all the crap they had to go through and how little respect they got

usaflag

The "hippies" were only wrong in their villification of the soldiers fighting the war.

Grand_Moff_Gav
America lost!

cking
they sure did.

who?-kid

usaflag

I'm not a hippie - God forbid - but they had a point : what was the use of sending ten thousands Americans to the other side of the world ? What exactly were they dying for ?

I respect the Vietnam veterans a lot, I really do, so I don't attack them. I attack the powers that be.

But in all honesty : Vietnam was in every category a disaster. The American Army had no business there. They should have stayed home, minding their own business.

cking
I agree. thumb up

Blaxican Hydra
Originally posted by who?-kid
I'm not a hippie - God forbid - but they had a point : what was the use of sending ten thousands Americans to the other side of the world ? What exactly were they dying for ?

I respect the Vietnam veterans a lot, I really do, so I don't attack them. I attack the powers that be.

But in all honesty : Vietnam was in every category a disaster. The American Army had no business there. They should have stayed home, minding their own business.

Word?

who?-kid
Originally posted by Blaxican Hydra
Word?
You lost me.

Grimm22

We actually did have bussiness there, considering we were in the freakin cold war.

However, the leader of South Vietnam was a dickweed and basicly used us, so in a sense we shouldnt have helped them.

Still, hippies should get their asses kicked for what they did to the soldiers

who?-kid
We actually did have bussiness there, considering we were in the freakin cold war.
That's a lame excuse. President Johnson was so afraid of the spread of communism throughout the Asian region, he decided to send troops to Vietnam. The Maddox incident - a suspicious incident by the way - was a good excuse to convince the American citizens. Not everybody was convinced though.

As much as I don't like communists => The US should have minded their own business. Cold War or no Cold War.

(Besides, the Cold War isn't known for it's military conflicts, the term Cold refers to the fact it's some kind of political and ideological struggle between capitalism and communism, with a lot of threats from both sides, but with no actual war - not that we know of).

RedAlertv2
anyone read the book about the Tunne Rats? They were American soldiers whose job was to explore VC tunnel systems. Its pretty crazy how the Vietnamese lived in these tunnels, sometimes for years. Its also amazing that any soldier would be willing to crawl into a dark tunnel that might very well be full of booby traps. the book is called Tunnels of Cu Chi. Interesting read.

Blaxican Hydra
You lost me.

I agreed with what you said.

pr1983
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
anyone read the book about the Tunne Rats? They were American soldiers whose job was to explore VC tunnel systems. Its pretty crazy how the Vietnamese lived in these tunnels, sometimes for years. Its also amazing that any soldier would be willing to crawl into a dark tunnel that might very well be full of booby traps. the book is called Tunnels of Cu Chi. Interesting read.

I've read of them in other books, that must've been some assignment... i'd hate to be one of those guys...

I agree with who kid saying america had no business there... of course they were only trying to clean up the mess the french had created...

but being there at all, the american army really should have won, and the fault must lie with the administration for all the failures of the war...

it also saddens me that vets tend to get mistreated due to fighting in what could be termed as an unjust war... and shit like tiger force didnt help either...

who?-kid
Originally posted by Blaxican Hydra
I agreed with what you said.
Oh okay.

Grimm22
Originally posted by RedAlertv2

Sounds freaky

Then again im claustraphobic erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.