Worse thing to happen to music

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PINBALL
What is the worst thing(in your oponiom) to ever happen to music?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The mute button.

-hh-
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
The mute button. genius laughing laughing

alic88
mainstream rap/hip-hop(whatever way you categorize it)

Neo_Version 7
"Fall Out Boy" big grin

Leo.M
50 cent

Kumar
Sean Paul and the Black Eyed Peas

jaden101
pop idol/america idol/x factor

Quiero Mota
When the radio kills a good and popular song by playing it 5,000 times a day, for six months straight.

Alpha Centauri
I think in recent memory it's probably Coldplay.

For the simple reason that they have allowed a tidal wave of shit, mediocre bands to come forward and be "ok".

-AC

Time Of Evil
Fall out Boys are kings of Geek rock! Don't insult them!

Lana
No....they just flat-out suck.

PINBALL
I would have to say either boy bands or rap/hip-hop....Both suck....

Alpha Centauri
I'm guessing that's largely due to your ignorance of the genre, in regards to hip hop.

-AC

Evil Dead
MTV

the acts it has chosen to rule it's rotation have forced one genre of music to the top....creating trends that really shouldn't be created. In the late 80s it was men dressing like women, complete with belly shirts and hairspray........today it's kids wanting to be rappers.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Evil Dead
MTV

the acts it has chosen to rule it's rotation have forced one genre of music to the top....creating trends that really shouldn't be created. In the late 80s it was men dressing like women, complete with belly shirts and hairspray........today it's kids wanting to be rappers.

There's nothing wrong with a kid wanting to be an MC and rhyme, or make music. It's the fact that MTV has created such a superficial image.

That said, as much as I hate it and the other American Idol-esque programmes, I'm glad they are around. They keep the stupid people away from tainting the good stuff.

I'll encourage an idiot to go watch MTV before I send them in the direction of a good album.

-AC

PINBALL
AC you probaly are right about me being ignorant about Hip Hop, I'm not gonna deny it....

Solo
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I think in recent memory it's probably Coldplay.

For the simple reason that they have allowed a tidal wave of shit, mediocre bands to come forward and be "ok".

Great.

Deathblow
The 80's.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Deathblow
The 80's.

Take that back.....

Deathblow
As convincing an argument as that is, I think I shall stand by my opinion. You know, like you do when you have a mind.

amity75
Originally posted by PINBALL
What is the worst thing(in your oponiom) to ever happen to music? Reality shows.

Bardock42
As convincing an argument as that is, I think I shall stand by my opinion. You know, like you do when you have a mind.

But the 80s had The Smiths...that's like the best thing that ever happened to anything....

Alpha Centauri
No man, the 80s suck!

Depeche Mode, Prince, Michael Jackson, Guns 'N' Roses, The Cure, Rush, Killing Joke, Kate Bush, The Smiths...Oh wait.

The 80s were great. They just get a bad rep from people who don't look further than mainstream music. It has nothing to do with having a mind. You either like the music from that era or you don't, calling it the worst thing to happen is dumb.

If you wanna judge by what bad music was produced, go for the 90s. Right? Spice Girls, Take That, Westlife, Girls Aloud, Billy Ray Cyrus, Cheeky Girls, Britney, Justin, Nsync.

By that rationale, the 90s suck. I mean, who cares about Tool, Nirvana, Rage, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Faith No More etc. Those pop acts clearly override it.

-AC

chops
Wost thing to happen to music........erm probably The Crazy Frog

Alpha Centauri
I don't pay attention to the mainstream really, and not much can surprise me anymore about how stupid people are, but I will put my hand up and say that when The Crazy Frog got to number one I thought "There can be no lower".

-AC

BackFire
Originally posted by Evil Dead
MTV

Seconded.

DiamondBullets
The 80's.

Definitely! The 80's REALLY sucked!

If I hear "Video Killed the Radio Star", "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" or "Take On Me" one more time, I'm seriously gonna hurt some one...

Bardock42
Originally posted by DiamondBullets

If I hear "Video Killed the Radio Star", "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" or "Take On Me" one more time, I'm seriously gonna hurt some one...

What AC says still applies....listen to Hand in Glove instead....

Valharu
I'll be purely selfish and say Cliff Burtons death was the worst thing to happen to music. Who knows how much greater Metallica could have been with Cliff alive. (taking nothing away from Metallica of course) Realistically todays corporate music is absolutely shit and John Lennon's death had the world in shock.

KharmaDog

Boy Bands & Pop Tarts

Quiero Mota
The 80's.

Yep, when it comes to Pop and Rock and most other forms of music, I think that the 80's were very sub par. However I loved the R&B back then, and I think it was best genre of the 80's.

Songs like "Sexual Healing", "I Just Called To Say I Love You", "Here and Now", and "Hello" are untouchable classics, ey.

Afro Cheese
I think late 80's rap was also the beginning of the golden age of hip hop.

Public Enemy
Boogie Down Productions
Eric B. & Rakim
Run DMC
NWA
Slick Rick
De La Soul
Kool G Rap
Big Daddy Kane
Ultramagnetic MC's

Though i see how you could pinpoint the 80's as bad in comparison to other decades. The 90's were a lot better, the 60's and 70's were a lot better, the 50's were better if you're a fan of jazz and classic rock-n-roll.. the 00's are probably about the same in my eyes.

I can't really think of one thing or event that stands out as the worst thing to happen to music. Music is doing just fine if you ask me. If it comes to the worst thing to happen to MUSICIANS, I guess you could pinpoint the crappy turn of the mainstream, since artists have to choose between getting paid and getting respect.

Alpha Centauri

Because Wannabe, Laffy Taffy, Barbie Girl, Crazy Frog, Hit Me Baby One More Time and such are clearly much better songs. If we're branding an era by a few "shit" songs, then let's kill the 90s. Because it produced shit artist after shit artist. Yet you wouldn't say it was bad.

It's been said before, but at least the shit in the 80s was laughable. Like Culture Club. I just feel unclean when I hear the Spice Girls or Justin Timberlake.

How are people saying the 90s were better? If we're judging by shit music in each decade, the 90s will forever be the worst.

-AC

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Boy Bands & Pop Tarts

I wouldnt say boy bands were the worst thing to happen to music, since they never really influenced anything and just sort of died out.

Alpha Centauri
The Beatles were, if anything, the first boy band.

Not saying that makes them good, but they'd be to blame.

-AC

Valharu
The Beatles were, if anything, the first boy band.

Not saying that makes them good, but they'd be to blame.

-AC What the fu.ck are you on? Beatles are to blame for the boy band craze? You've lost the plot. The greatest band the world will ever know bought the music industry 20 years ahead of itself. If your going to blame anyone blame the marketing suits who created NKONB. Your ridiculous post would have the whole music industry laughing their guts out. Unfu.cking believable!!

JacopeX
Ron jeremy, i mean come on wtf is he doin in a hip hop video. That wuz the worst moment in hip hop ever. Reggaeton will always be the best.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Valharu
The greatest band the world will ever know

What the f**k?

DiamondBullets
Because Wannabe, Laffy Taffy, Barbie Girl, Crazy Frog, Hit Me Baby One More Time and such are clearly much better songs. If we're branding an era by a few "shit" songs, then let's kill the 90s. Because it produced shit artist after shit artist. Yet you wouldn't say it was bad.

It's been said before, but at least the shit in the 80s was laughable. Like Culture Club. I just feel unclean when I hear the Spice Girls or Justin Timberlake.

How are people saying the 90s were better? If we're judging by shit music in each decade, the 90s will forever be the worst.

-AC

The Eighties were synonymous with the kinda shit I mentioned. The Nineties were synonymous with names such as Nirvana, 2pac, and R. Kelly.

Sure, every decade had its fair share of shit, but normally the good stuff masked it--but with the Eighties, pop-shit was predominant and overwhelming.

Alpha Centauri
What the fu.ck are you on? Beatles are to blame for the boy band craze? You've lost the plot. The greatest band the world will ever know bought the music industry 20 years ahead of itself. If your going to blame anyone blame the marketing suits who created NKONB. Your ridiculous post would have the whole music industry laughing their guts out. Unfu.cking believable!!

Oh chill out, you fool. The greatest band the world will ever know? If you wish to believe so. I think they're the most overrated band the world will ever know. I think they're great and I love their music, but they're overrated.

I never said they were the same as NKOTB, I said they were essentially the first boyband. They were. Beatlemania? That wasn't all because of the music. That was because girls were attracted to them. There were annoying, superficial fangirls back then too. It just so happened to be that The Beatles were also a great band.

You think those girls were crying their eyes out because John Lennon was a good songwriter? Because McCartney was a good songwriter? No, they were crying their eyes out and going crazy because they were "cute British guys" who played music. If you think otherwise, I say "What the fu.ck are you on?" Idiot.

-AC

Alpha Centauri
The Eighties were synonymous with the kinda shit I mentioned. The Nineties were synonymous with names such as Nirvana, 2pac, and R. Kelly.

So? Many things are synonymous with other things, it doesn't make it so.

Sure, every decade had its fair share of shit, but normally the good stuff masked it--but with the Eighties, pop-shit was predominant and overwhelming.

Pop-shit isn't predominant and overwhelming on Earth in 2006? I think you need to awaken from your slumber, buddy.

The good stuff masked the bad, for me, of the 80s. I don't care that there was a lot of shit, because Prince, Killing Joke, Rush, Michael Jackson, Depeche Mode, The Smiths and The Cure are more than enough to mask it.

If bad music is what we're judging by, it's the 90s. No debate.

-AC

Valharu
Your a dickhead chump.
a) No one would ever call any Beatle member "cute" Music was all they had. Not the looks. They didn't even have style.
b) No. You never said they were the same as NKOTB. I never said you did. But what you did say was that Beatles were to blame for "boy bands" Please explain to anyone worth their salt how the Beatles were a boy band. Oh wait. You did. The cute thing. Funny. Millions thought it was the music.
c) Your opinion amounts to nothing compared with what the Beatles have achieved. The most successful and influential band on Earth is "overrated." I'm sure your opinion holds weight with your fellow "musicians" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quiero Mota

If bad music is what we're judging by, it's the 90s. No debate.

If we're going to go with "Which decade had the worst of the worst."; I would say its a toss up between the 80's and 40's.

The 80's, because of that annoying and omnipresent "pop-shit" DB refered to.

The 40's, because those high pitched War Time girl groups make me want to shove a pecil in my pencil in my ears.

The 90s pop was bad, but I could atleast tolerate it, like if I'm working or something.

Afro Cheese
Oh chill out, you fool. The greatest band the world will ever know? If you wish to believe so. I think they're the most overrated band the world will ever know. I think they're great and I love their music, but they're overrated.

I never said they were the same as NKOTB, I said they were essentially the first boyband. They were. Beatlemania? That wasn't all because of the music. That was because girls were attracted to them. There were annoying, superficial fangirls back then too. It just so happened to be that The Beatles were also a great band.

You think those girls were crying their eyes out because John Lennon was a good songwriter? Because McCartney was a good songwriter? No, they were crying their eyes out and going crazy because they were "cute British guys" who played music. If you think otherwise, I say "What the fu.ck are you on?" Idiot.

-AC It's true they were the first official "boy band," but the superficial fangirl craze really broke through with Elvis, and has been present ever since.

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
If we're going to go with "Which decade had the worst of the worst."; I would say its a toss up between the 80's and 40's.

The 80's, because of that annoying and omnipresent "pop-shit" DB refered to.

The 40's, because those high pitched War Time girl groups make me want to shove a pecil in my pencil in my ears.

The 90s pop was bad, but I could atleast tolerate it, like if I'm working or something. The 00's really has the worst of the worst to me. I mean at least all the crappy bublegum pop music and disco is semi-listenable.. at least it has a melody and whatnot. Modern southern rap at it's worst like Rick Ross or Da Back Wudz or Three 6 Mafia is just impossible for me to listen to.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
The 00's

confused

-hh-
worst thing to happen to music in general...

hip hop after 96'-98'

pure garbage after 98'

im just focusing on the mainstream.

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
confused what?

PINBALL
I think he is confused about the comment by you saying the 00 had shitty music. Maybe I am totally wrong too...

Frigid Soul
Originally posted by alic88
mainstream rap/hip-hop(whatever way you categorize it)

it sucks...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Your a dickhead chump.
a) No one would ever call any Beatle member "cute" Music was all they had. Not the looks. They didn't even have style.
b) No. You never said they were the same as NKOTB. I never said you did. But what you did say was that Beatles were to blame for "boy bands" Please explain to anyone worth their salt how the Beatles were a boy band. Oh wait. You did. The cute thing. Funny. Millions thought it was the music.
c) Your opinion amounts to nothing compared with what the Beatles have achieved. The most successful and influential band on Earth is "overrated." I'm sure your opinion holds weight with your fellow "musicians" roll eyes (sarcastic)

You defend The Beatles, but you know nothing about them. Strange.

C-Dic

Record labels.

Alpha Centauri
Quiero, come on man. 90s pop and as Afro said, all that garbage mainstream hip hop that came through, so much worse than anything shit put out in the 80s. Except for Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley. That one I can agree to.

Your a dickhead chump.

Oh you oblivious little creature.

My mother was around when that was going on, so was my dad (who loved the band), my grandfather even saw them live. All have attested that girls went crazy over their looks. WE don't look at them as stylish, cute or whatever now. Of course not, it's 2006. To deny that it happened is stupid, so when you're ready to stop sleeptalking naivity, we'll continue that debate. Until then...

What do you mean explain how they were a boy band? They were internationally famous beyond all imagination, had millions and millions of girls worldwide showing up at airports passing out and screaming their names, and yes...a lot of it was because they were attracted. Was it also because of the music? Yes. But to deny that this early day fangirling existed is utter stupidity. As stupid as saying chicks dug Elvis solely for his guitar ability.

I said if you wanna blame boy bands, it's best to go back to where it officially all started in the major mainstream and worldwide. Which was undeniably The Beatles. This is a fact.

It's my opinion that they're overrated. Well guess what? It's not a fact that they're the most influential, or the greatest either. That's still just your opinion. 50 million opinions are still just an opinion. It can still be refuted as simply as "I disagree".

The Beatles, unfortunately, have become a credibility name drop. Most of the credit they've gotten since their day is because of that than it is for their music. Which is a shame, because they made great music.

-AC

cool_dudes_rule
Originally posted by Kumar
Sean Paul and the Black Eyed Peas agreed, oh and pussycat dolls their slags and cant write a good song.

Impediment
MTV. Since when does The Real World, Road Rules, Beavis and Butthead, Jackass, Viva La Bam, and other moronic dribble constitute as MUSIC?

Df02
the private jet.

jaden101
Originally posted by Df02
the private jet.

i'm sure buddy holly would agree that private planes didn't do much for his career

Flying High
i reckon bands being able to mime at shows is probably one of the worst things to happen...it means that bands with singers that cant sing manage to get people to come to their gigs and they leave very disppointed...it works the same with guitar players etc.

Df02
Originally posted by jaden101
i'm sure buddy holly would agree that private planes didn't do much for his career

plus:

- Aaliyah
- Patsy Cline
- Jim Croce
- Ricky Nelson
- Glenn Miller
- Otis Redding
- Randy Rhoades
- Ritchie Valens
- Ronnie Van Zaant

jaden101
plus:

- Aaliyah
- Patsy Cline
- Jim Croce
- Ricky Nelson
- Glenn Miller
- Otis Redding
- Randy Rhoades
- Ritchie Valens
- Ronnie Van Zaant

we'll consider your point well and truly proven

PINBALL
I would also have to say country too, it really bugs me yet I know some people really enjoy it....

Flying High
i say different people like different music...it doesn't mean its bad...unless the people cant play their instruments etc.

WrathfulDwarf
IMHO:

Napster...

Lots of music artists show their true colors by putting on business suits and going to court.

Alpha Centauri
Yep.

How dare they attempt to right the wrong that is illegally getting ripped off? The tragedy.

-AC

PINBALL
I also hate the whole pop music as a whole its what all the loser kids listen to cause I think it makes them feel cool by listening to no tallent ass clowns....When I was at a friends house his sister was listening to somebody(I don't even know who) but you could tell very easily that it was EXTREMLY redone in the studio....That kind of music makes me angry....

musicislife
Cencorship (sp?.)

amity75
Yep.

How dare they attempt to right the wrong that is illegally getting ripped off? The tragedy.

-AC I had to laugh at the whole Metallica and Napster thing. This is a band who are filmed shoplifting in the Cliff 'em all video.

Alpha Centauri
Half the world doesn't even know why Metallica actually sued Napster. They assume "Rich band suing means they are greedy".

They repeatedly said, it's not that they're against it, they just believe they should have say over whether it gets put on there or not, and they were 100% correct. It's theirs.

Nobody likes getting ripped off, no matter how rich you are. Even financially stable people wouldn't walk out of a store if the employee had given you less change than you were meant to have. You could live without it, but would you? No.

So why should Metallica? People go on that they don't love the music, forgetting that they gave us one of the most perfectly conceived, flawless metal albums of all time.

-AC

bakerboy
The end of the beatles as a group.

The death of John Lennon

The death of George Harrison

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by bakerboy
The end of the beatles as a group.

The death of John Lennon

The death of George Harrison

Oh give it a rest. What was George Harrison doing for music when he died? Nothing.

He was known for being an ex-Beatle.

-AC

bakerboy
Oh give it a rest. What was George Harrison doing for music when he died? Nothing.

He was known for being an ex-Beatle.

-AC

That awnser only shows your terrrible musical taste and your lack of musical culture. George Harrison did some of the most memorable and greatests songs in the 60s and 70s like something, here comes the sun, when my guitar gently weeps or my sweet lord. Plus, his album all things must pass is one of the best and most beautiful albums in music history.

in his last days, is work wasnt as active as in the 60s or 70s, but he had his talent sleeping, in any moment he could do some great song or another great album as he did. If you are understimate a great musical artist and a musical genious like George Harrison was, you couldnt be more wrong.

jaden101

in his last days, is work wasnt as active as in the 60s or 70s, but he had his talent sleeping, in any moment he could do some great song or another great album as he did. If you are understimate a great musical artist and a musical genious like George Harrison was, you couldnt be more wrong.

yet he chose not to...such artistic tenacity and vigour

i bet he even thought to himself

"mmm...i could get off my ass and write a new album cause i'm a super talented musical genius...or i could just live off the royalties from that boy band i was in 40 years ago...aaaahhhh"

Alpha Centauri
That awnser only shows your terrrible musical taste and your lack of musical culture. George Harrison did some of the most memorable and greatests songs in the 60s and 70s like something, here comes the sun, when my guitar gently weeps or my sweet lord. Plus, his album all things must pass is one of the best and most beautiful albums in music history.

I asked what he did at the time he died. Answer: Nothing.

The Beatles were long gone and dead before Harrison kicked the bucket. So your argument doesn't hold water.

-AC

Bardock42
I also don't see how the end of the Beatles is the worst thing to happen to music....I mean, don't get me wrong I quite love the Beatles...great Band in my opinion...but their disbandment didn't really worsen anything.

Now Dylan going electric.....disgusting....or am I kidding...who knows, not me..... the man who sold the world.

bakerboy
The death of a musical figure like George Harrison was is always a bad thing for music. The end of one of the most influential and important music band of all time is always a bad thing for music. I dont care if Harrison wasnt active his last days or things like that. His musical contribution is in the history and that shows everything in this argument.

Alpha Centauri
The death of a musical figure like George Harrison was is always a bad thing for music. The end of one of the most influential and important music band of all time is always a bad thing for music. I dont care if Harrison wasnt active his last days or things like that. His musical contribution is in the history and that shows everything in this argument.

Think about what you're saying. You're saying his musical contribution was a loss. What? The Beatles? That's the only thing he's ever done of note and it was decades ago.

At the time of his death and for many, many years prior to that, he had done nothing for music at all. So him dying wasn't a loss to music.

-AC

Bardock42

But it's just not reasonable.....I could understand if you'd make a case for American Idol...or New Kids on the Block.....or maybe even TV....but the end of the Beatles wasn't the worst thing, they made great music before....but they had mostly positive influences...how did music worsen because of the disbandment of The Beatles.

Alpha Centauri
Because they weren't around anymore, and henceforth everything magically became shit and not as good.

Despite most die-hard worshippers I've met not even being around back then anyway. When, ironically, they weren't viewed nearly as godly as they are nowadays.

-AC

Bardock42
Because they weren't around anymore, and henceforth everything magically became shit and not as good.

Despite most die-hard worshippers I've met not even being around back then anyway. When, ironically, they weren't viewed nearly as godly as they are nowadays.

-AC

They are pretty freaking awesome though....well, I think so....but seriously just because a band is not around anymore (however emotionally it may be....and damn it sometimes hurts that the Smiths didn't make more) doesn't make the music of the time any worse.

Nellinator
I would have to say either boy bands or rap/hip-hop....Both suck....
Exactly what he said.

Because I can
Complete Screaming, no words (that anyone can make out) .. Heavy Metal

1. The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.
2. Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.

Who calls it music? ^ that is what music is meant to be. It is the art of expressing or stirring emotion. Geez, do these people really hate their lives?? Some emotions....
A Lot of people probably wont agree with me, but meh. this is my opinion.

Yeah, the death of John Lennon... cry

Alpha Centauri
That might fall under the art of expressing or stirring emotion.

Contrary to popular belief, have you ever had a shouting argument with a loved one? It's not easy to shout, it's less easy to shout, every night constantly, with a band and make it sound good. Many bands do so.

-AC

Because I can
That might fall under the art of expressing or stirring emotion.

Contrary to popular belief, have you ever had a shouting argument with a loved one? It's not easy to shout, it's less easy to shout, every night constantly, with a band and make it sound good. Many bands do so.

-AC

.............................. you know, i hate it when your right innocent

alic88
i dont know whow people can categorize a decade as being the worst thing to happen to music, any decade for that matter. you're just categorizing a bit too muh stuff there. But i am pretty surprised by people saying that 80s was the worst thing to happen to music. I mean I can somewhat understand why you'd hate the overflow of cheesy pop in that decade, but 80s had some of the most fantastic musicans. Musicians Like Michael Jackson, Prince, Van Halen, Guns n Roses, ac/dc all peaked in the 80s( for me), i find it hard to believe why you'd categorize it as the worst thing to happen to music, since 90's is pale in comparison to the 80s in producing artists of the same magnitude and talent.

PINBALL
^Anybody who rapes kids automatically makes them a horrible artist....Yes some of the music is good, but there was too much shitty music overwhelming the good....

Bardock42
^Anybody who rapes kids automatically makes them a horrible artist....Yes some of the music is good, but there was too much shitty music overwhelming the good....

How do you know he raped kids? Oh yeah, you don't. Also doesn't change anything about the music.

Alpha Centauri

No it doesn't. He could be Hitler crossed with Pol Pot, it wouldn't make the Thriller album any less amazing.

That said, you're a fool.

-AC

alic88
^thank you.

PINBALL
If he was hitler I would would hate him even more.....My bad he doesn't rape little kids he molests them.....

Alpha Centauri
If he was hitler I would would hate him even more.....My bad he doesn't rape little kids he molests them.....

Hmm. US Courts, juries and attorneys find him to be innocent time and time again, with no real evidence to suggest otherwise. Yet you continually like to believe he did molest the kids? You've got to wonder who the real weirdos are. I thought that people would be relieved he didn't molest kids, but it seems like everyone is going "Awww what?! He DIDN'T do it?! Crap, now we can't call him a paedophile and spend our own pathetic lives focusing on someone else's."

Second, he could be a molester all day long, that wouldn't magically make the Thriller album worse. It wouldn't lessen the quality of Bad.

You sir, are a silly little fellow.

-AC

Because I can
saddam

Frigid Soul
I hate rap and can't unerstand how anyone could enjoy it (or "feel it"wink.

Its not real music. There's no talent in talking; anyone can do it.

Darth Jello
Gary Glitter on the otherhand...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Frigid Soul

Rhyming isn't talking though. Anyone can rhyme, but not everyone can rhyme well. Like driving, or living.

Claiming that it's not real music just because you don't like it is stupid.

-AC

PINBALL
Originally posted by Frigid Soul

^agree.....

-hh-
anyone can't just rap...the mc's you see on television and hear on the radio aren't what hip hop is all about.

real hip hop is still alive...just difficult to find. the mainstream doesn't "accept" it.

P, that Dude
Originally posted by -hh-
anyone can't just rap...the mc's you see on television and hear on the radio aren't what hip hop is all about.

real hip hop is still alive...just difficult to find. the mainstream doesn't "accept" it.

^cosign

"HIPHOP IS NOT ON THE RADIO"

-hh-
but not everyone can rhyme well. Like driving, or living.

i dunno y but this made me laugh laughing laughing

Da preacher
Techno, metal, house ...etc.

The death of Jimi hendrix.

Crazy Frog, Black eyed peas, R. Kelly etc.

Shittty Hip Hop.

Country.

Eurosong.

2 much.

lil bitchiness
Why is metal the worst that happened to music. Funky House is good, so is progressive, so is psychedelia (certain of course)

If you don't like these types of musc, it doesnt mean they're shit.

Darth Revan
The 80's.

But what about Public Enemy? sad

1989, the number
Another summer (get down!)
Sound of the funky drummer!
Music hittin' your heart cause I know you got soul (brothas and sistas!)

dj

Alpha Centauri
There are certain music genres that I believe are too shit for explanation, and nothing anyone says to me will make me see why they are attractive or appealing. That said, I don't have to see why they are appealing for someone else to like them, nor does it bother me or hinder my musical experiences that they do exist.

Some event such as the worst musical event or invention ever would have to affect me regardless. I can't really think of anything that has done that, purely because real, honest music will always exist and there will always be music that is untouched by the media and corporate sculpters.

-AC

Da preacher
Yeah,

Funk!

I'm talking 'bout the real stuff, not these losers like Superfunk, I'm talking Prince, George clinton, James Brown, The Time etc.

They rock!

Because I can
wadda bout RnB? Isnt that meant to be Rythmn and Blues?
Is it really nowdays?

Da preacher
No it ain't.

Pezmerga
These are some of the worse things that happened to music in my opinion....

The Deaths of...
Kurt Cobain
Freddie Mercury
Bradley Nowell
Layne Staley
Jim Morrison
Randy Rhodes
Easy E

The Breakups or disbanding of...
The Smashing Pumpkins (although I know they are supposedlly Working on a new album....But I doubt it'll be the same..)
Guns N' Roses

Also Replacing David Lee Roth with Hagar...Im not even a Van Halen Fan, I just think Sammy Hagar is a Deuche bag.

Oh yes one more thing....File Sharing. go buy the damn CD.

Darth Revan
Some people can't afford the damn CD all the time...

Pezmerga
That exuse only applies to people who cant afford food, and steal it to survive.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Some people can't afford the damn CD all the time...

Then what makes people think they have the right to own it?

I'd love to see someone shoplift and use the excuse "Well I didn't have the money. Some of us can't afford to buy clothes all the time."

You'd get laughed out of court and into prison, and rightfully so.

-AC

Darth Jello
Ian McKaye

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, I love Minor Threat, I love Fugazi. But he has inadvertantly given us three of the worst things to happen to the music scene.
a.Straight Edge
b.Henry Rollins in Black Flag
c.Emo

Alpha Centauri
That makes about as much sense as a solar powered flashlight.

Firstly, straight edge has no negative effect on the music world, at all. None whatsoever. Unless of course you're one of these "I'm a real man" morons who feels that in order to be credible, you have to drink and be out of your head on drugs. Straight edge has has no negative effect on music.

Henry Rollins era Black Flag remain one of the most pioneering bands IN punk.

As for the emo genre. Ian MacKaye gave us original emo, the emo that was an offshoot of punk, the emo that comprised of Minor Threat, Jawbreaker, Fugazi, Rites of Spring. It lived and died with those bands. He's not responsible for what bands call themselves emo, or what MySpace kids decide to call emo.

-AC

Df02
after trying and failing to explain why emo(tional hardcore punk) isnt bad countless times i just accepted that some people are inherently ignorant, and i should just give up.

Alpha Centauri
I tried the same thing, many times.

-AC

Pandemoniac
No man, the 80s suck!

Depeche Mode, Prince, Michael Jackson, Guns 'N' Roses, The Cure, Rush, Killing Joke, Kate Bush, The Smiths...Oh wait.

The 80s were great. They just get a bad rep from people who don't look further than mainstream music. It has nothing to do with having a mind. You either like the music from that era or you don't, calling it the worst thing to happen is dumb.

If you wanna judge by what bad music was produced, go for the 90s. Right? Spice Girls, Take That, Westlife, Girls Aloud, Billy Ray Cyrus, Cheeky Girls, Britney, Justin, Nsync.

By that rationale, the 90s suck. I mean, who cares about Tool, Nirvana, Rage, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Faith No More etc. Those pop acts clearly override it.

-AC

On the dot! The mainstream audience draws an opinion on a certain era of music by judging what the media feed to them, while that is only a fraction of what is going on for real.
MTV says 'Jump' and too many ask 'How high?'

Df02
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
On the dot! The mainstream audience draws an opinion on a certain era of music by judging what the media feed to them, while that is only a fraction of what is going on for real.
MTV says 'Jump' and too many ask 'How high?'

not exactly, since their opinion on emo isnt even a fraction of what they think it is... it's completely off the mark.

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by Pezmerga
These are some of the worse things that happened to music in my opinion....

The Deaths of...
Kurt Cobain
Freddie Mercury
Bradley Nowell
Layne Staley
Jim Morrison
Randy Rhodes
Easy E

The Breakups or disbanding of...
The Smashing Pumpkins (although I know they are supposedlly Working on a new album....But I doubt it'll be the same..)
Guns N' Roses

Also Replacing David Lee Roth with Hagar...Im not even a Van Halen Fan, I just think Sammy Hagar is a Deuche bag.

Oh yes one more thing....File Sharing. go buy the damn CD.

F*ck Yeah to all of that!

Pandemoniac
not exactly, since their opinion on emo isnt even a fraction of what they think it is... it's completely off the mark.

Thus proving the point at hand, capiche?

Df02
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
Thus proving the point at hand, capiche?

i was expanding, capiche?

Darth Jello
The only good Black Flag was the version with Keith Morris and from my experience, straight edge kids are mostly severely violent assholes

Because I can
PUNKS NOT DEAD...

eggmayo
Originally posted by Because I can
PUNKS NOT DEAD...
I forgot Green Day passes for punk nowadays.

RedAlertv2
Nobody actually thinks Green Day is true punk. They are more commonly labelled as pop-punk, which is a pretty big difference

mysticpeach
I think a lot of "mainstream" music such as whats on mtv, because so much of it is so superficial, being mostly about the plastic "look" people can obtain. Im not saying a lot of the popular pop and rap stars have zero talent, but i dont see much depth and creativity in their music. And a lot of these people get way more recognition then of other real musicians that i think are far more deserving.. I mean so many people cant even play instruments, just can sing fairly well and have the "act" down. A lot of these "mainstream" stars even sell products for corporations, which i think is sickening. I love listening to music that is different, creative, and deep, and even political.. not just simply whats "in".

icqpimp
Anyone who says I can't download a song is an outright ******. ****** = alpha centauri. Your taste = bullshit. Rap is gay and sold the **** out and it's because of ******* like you. And if you're white, then forget I said anything because selling it out to your race is what ruined it, among other things.

jaden101
Originally posted by icqpimp
Anyone who says I can't download a song is an outright ******. ****** = alpha centauri. Your taste = bullshit. Rap is gay and sold the **** out and it's because of ******* like you. And if you're white, then forget I said anything because selling it out to your race is what ruined it, among other things.

laughing laughing laughing

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by icqpimp

Harakiri: AC's recommendation for the week.

-AC

ladygrim
Rap,Hip hop, RnB and the ruddy cheeky girls

jaden101
Harakiri: AC's recommendation for the week.

-AC

there's at least 2 words in there that i dont think he'll understand

actually make that 3...cause i think even AC's will create a bit of confusion for a while as well

BlackC@
For me, it's rap, Hip-Hop, R and B and all that stupid shit.

BlackC@
Originally posted by ladygrim
Rap,Hip hop, RnB and the ruddy cheeky girls

I love you...

BlackC@
PUNK IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I can
A) Greenday SUCKS....

B) PUNKS NOT DEAD!

BlackC@
Name a current band you think is punk.

Greenday are not punk, they're emo.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by BlackC@

You have zero clue about any part of musical history. Possibly the dumbest comment seen on the Music forum.

"Greenday are not punk, they're emo." That's almost worthy of a sig quote, legendary.

-AC

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by BlackC@

That right there made my day.

Edit: before I even read ACs post I was thinking about sigging that.

Because I can
Emo is Emotional rock, innit?

Greenday may have been good to some, but i think their past their use by date.... but other bands can keep going, just not Greenday

Alpha Centauri

No. Emotive Hardcore was it's original title.

-AC

Df02

Greenday may have been good to some, but i think their past their use by date.... but other bands can keep going, just not Greenday

i suggest you just stop trying to understand and describe music... you obviously cant.

Emo (as previously said in this thread) stands for Emotional/Emotive Hardcore. Hardcore developed from punk, 'emo' developed from hardcore...

Greenday are absolutely nothing the **** to do with Emotional Hardcore, theyre pop-punk.

FunkMaster Flex
Originally posted by mysticpeach
I think a lot of "mainstream" music such as whats on mtv, because so much of it is so superficial, being mostly about the plastic "look" people can obtain. Im not saying a lot of the popular pop and rap stars have zero talent, but i dont see much depth and creativity in their music. And a lot of these people get way more recognition then of other real musicians that i think are far more deserving.. I mean so many people cant even play instruments, just can sing fairly well and have the "act" down. A lot of these "mainstream" stars even sell products for corporations, which i think is sickening. I love listening to music that is different, creative, and deep, and even political.. not just simply whats "in".
thumb upthumb up

JacopeX
Kevin federline

Dr_Joshua_Keyes
The worst..thing to happen would be..heavy Metal and Satanic music..Ew

Ronny
HIM covering Blue Oyster Cult.

seriously "Dont Fear the Reaper" is creepy enough but at least when they did it, it was a nice calm talented creepy.

HIM and Marylin manson need to stop covering people.

Scream did a good enough job though. And Apollo 440 was cool enough with the techno

not enough cowbell in my opinion

PINBALL
Originally posted by Dr_Joshua_Keyes
The worst..thing to happen would be..heavy Metal and Satanic music..Ew

oh so true....

JacopeX
Originally posted by alic88
mainstream rap/hip-hop(whatever way you categorize it) I disagree, thats the exactly the type of hip hop i listen to. All that rap by "who nows who" is really uninteresting

Bardock42
Originally posted by JacopeX
I disagree, thats the exactly the type of hip hop i listen to. All that rap by "who nows who" is really uninteresting

Yeah I agree, after all it's not about good music, but how popular the artist is. I mean, my friends wouldn't know about what I was talking about and maybe they would not like me anymore because I don't listen to the music all my homies listen to.

Morning_Glory

Paris Hilton... her new single or video whatever is coming out.. and there are actually going to be kids who swallow this stuff up

jaden101
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yeah I agree, after all it's not about good music, but how popular the artist is. I mean, my friends wouldn't know about what I was talking about and maybe they would not like me anymore because I don't listen to the music all my homies listen to.

hahaha..German humour is the best laughing out loud laughing out loud

JacopeX
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
Paris Hilton... her new single or video whatever is coming out.. and there are actually going to be kids who swallow this stuff up Kevin federline owns all at teh suckiest

Penelope
MTV.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>