My Space Music

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard
Im not sure whether this thread will get shutdown or not.

Does anyone use My Space to promote their music?

Have you seen any benefits from it?

What do you think of it?

Meta
i personally really like it. my band has a page and its really good for promo and for finding out about other bands

Time Of Evil
My space music is brilliant.

Other bands seem to make bonds and do advertising for each other. I think it's brilliant.

Meta
I like that it encourages community as opposed to bands being competitive as well

Solo
I've been wondering this also. I'm thinking about grabbing one, but I don't know if it'd be worth the time.

Df02
only good thing about myspace

nick1811
myspace is where i found out about alot of my favourite bands, so i love it

Lana
I would advise to anyone thinking of putting anything on there to read the terms and conditions VERY carefully, because those ARE legally binding.

papabeard
What exactly do you mean? What specific terms ?

Df02
By displaying or publishing ("posting"wink any Content, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, profiles, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content"wink on or through the Services, you hereby grant to MySpace.com, a non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense through unlimited levels of sublicensees) to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, publicly display, store, reproduce, transmit, and distribute such Content on and through the Services.

lol

papabeard
So does that mean they own you and your music? confused

Df02
they own anything you post on there... so yea, your music

Flying High
i use myspace MAINLY to find out about bands...i love it cause you find out about gigs first usually...which is handy smile

and i've found loads of cool bands through it that have looked at my music tastes and decided to see if i would like them...which i think is really cool...cause i lvoe finding new bands smile

i also know for a fact it has helped a local band in the area (Bady Cole) cause they can tell people about gigs, so they get more people there smile

Time Of Evil
Originally posted by Df02
By displaying or publishing ("posting"wink any Content, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, profiles, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content"wink on or through the Services, you hereby grant to MySpace.com, a non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense through unlimited levels of sublicensees) to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, publicly display, store, reproduce, transmit, and distribute such Content on and through the Services.

lol

What if you take it off after putting it on?

Df02
well once you put it on there and agree to the liscence they own the rights to that song... take it off and they still do.

also, there's another part saying they can change the licence after you've agree'd to it..

Lana
Yep.

Not really the sort of thing you want.

Time Of Evil
So hang on. They are saying when you put your music on their website they can make a band and play your music claiming its theirs?

Df02
no, they cant claim it's theirs, they just own the rights to it... so they can make a band and play it without having to pay you royalties etc.

Time Of Evil
Originally posted by Df02
no, they cant claim it's theirs, they just own the rights to it... so they can make a band and play it without having to pay you royalties etc.

F u* ck them. That's insane. They should not be allowed to do that.

Slay
Originally posted by papabeard
So does that mean they own you and your music? confused
Not exactly.I think.Bands like Anthrax have a MySpace account,and they were out long before there was any Internet,let alone MySpace. erm

Time Of Evil
Originally posted by Slay
Not exactly.I think.Bands like Anthrax have a MySpace account,and they were out long before there was any Internet,let alone MySpace. erm

Forget that though. What about new bands with new material!

Flying High
they're screwed stick out tongue

C-Dic
Bands with MySpace profiles aren't losing anything by putting themselves up on there. It's free promotion, tracks aren't made available for download, and should a band's track get thrown onto a compilation album or CD, they've made arrangements to where they'll get a cut.

It's not the horror story everyone's making it out to be. TONS of established bands and record labels are on there, and that wouldn't be the case if MySpace were to take full control of the bands music, merely by setting up an account, especially given the unofficial band profiles, hosting music and pictures, without consent no less. Those people aren't held responsible.

BlackSunshine
alot of my old friends have their bands there.

Time Of Evil
Originally posted by BlackSunshine
alot of my old friends have their bands there.

Why are they old friends?

papabeard
I have not uploaded any songs yet, and now I wont be, do they own any rights to your name or anything else other than the music?

jaden101
myspace are now about to start making the most of this clause in the agreement

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6112009.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnn

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.