Religion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
What're you peoples' religion? This topic keeps going on and off, and I'm just wonderin. confused

btw, don't start arguing about religion. I know you will. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ToMacco
It's not letting me vote.

Ah, to hell with it. . . I'm gonna stop trying.

BackFire349
i dont believe in god.

BackFire349
well, i mean a religion, i believe in an all powerful being somewhere of somesort, but not really a normal god. sorry, im tired today, i dunno what im saying. *awaits generic smart ass remark* roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
where is the option "none"?

queeq
I like religion threads. They usually turn out in huge fights. evil face

yerssot
that's why they get closed smile

queeq
Indeed. big grin

mah
yes, there should be the option 'none'. one vote on 'none' from me

queeq
Can't choose eh? big grin

Gundark
Just flip a coin.

queeq
A four sided coin?

yerssot
well, look at the options you have here! Where's Hinduism? Where's Shintoism? And all the others?

LaurenE147
I am a Southern Baptist. I am very religious.

yerssot
southern baptist?

I beg you to enlighten my syrop brain...

what is that? christian related?

LaurenE147
Yes, I am Christian. The biggest religions in the South are Baptist and Methodist. Most of the people I know are Baptist.

yerssot
aaaaah! thanks!

that shows how good I am with this religion thing

LaurenE147
Why do you not believe in God? (a non-offensive question)

mah
I don't believe in god because it's not logical for me to believe that someone is sitting up there controlling everything. plus religions cause so much mess, and wars and prejudice, it's hard to see the pros.

yerssot
I can't manage to see that post as offensive...

well,
I don't belief in miracles, I don't believe in an all mighty that can control everything, but I DO believe in predestination thanks to some personal experiences I had.

Ofcourse you can say now that predestination has everything to do with the existance of a god, but than I would be forced to quote french from someone I don't know the name of anymore, who proofed thanks to egyptian mythology and arts that god doesn't exist... etc... but that would be a conversation that will be long and boring...

in other words... science can explain miracles...

Tex
Roman Catholic

Ushgarak
(Puts hand up and speaks in quasi-intellectual, whiny voice)

"If there is a God, yeah, why does he let bad things happen to good people?"

(Gets beaten to death by 'Stupid question' police)

You tend to get a terrible sense of deja vu with these threads.

Seriously, though, personally, I take things as they come, if that is any answer at all, and if it isn't I apologise but I can do no better.

Captain REX
The arguing hasn't started yet? Wow. laughing out loud

I'm a Christian. I'm not an extremely strong Christian, will be later on.

Hey, could some of the mods at stuff like the "None" option and other options that I just didn't know about the religion?

Ushgarak
Well, I'll leave it to queeq or Dim.

queeq
Heck no.... this is too much fun.

But there is this sense of deja vu indeed, that strange phenomenon that you have lived through something before...

Gundark
The only thing Tex and I have in common.....

Billy The Kid
I do not believe in God either.
I don`t know what it is called in english, but in norwegian,,,,we call it "hedning".

Mah, finti, Thomas....help me out here..

queeq
God is called Hedning? confused

yerssot
ah yes...deja vu...everytime you get here, you think you already posted here

LaurenE147
I have had personal experience that leaves me without a doubt that there is a God. Once, when my brother was very small he was in the kitchen with my mother. She had her back turned and was doing something or other. He was about to pick up one of the steak knives until he heard a male voice say "Don't touch that knife, Brad." And there was no one else in the house.

Also once when my second oldest brother and I weren't born yet my parents were with my oldest brother in the car on a bridge. All of a sudden a car was heading in the opposite direction in the same lane as them. There was no way that they could've swerved or gotten out of the car's path because a car was right beside of them in the next lane. The closed their eyes and braced for impact but it didn't come. When they looked the car was behind them.

And once my dad had a mass detected in his stomach. We all prayed and prayed and prayed and when they went to the doctor he said that all it was was divriticulitis. The whatever-it-was had actually shrunk. He was astonished that he had even sent in. He thought that surely the doctor who examined him first would've known it wasn't serious

Tex
Yeah, but I'm a good Catholic, your probably one of those Italian mafia type Catholics! stick out tongue wink

LaurenE147
the Sicilians invented prostitution

Ushgarak
You sure about that? Prostitution dates from ancient times.

Tex
Probably from ancient Sicily wink

Captain REX
I wonder if there will ever be a way to prove some religions are real, like how they found that boat up on Mount Ararat in Turkey. They say it dates back to the times of Noah's Ark.

I don't know, they just said something about that on the History channel one day. I thought it was an interesting subject and I had read somethin about it.

yerssot
last I heared they were still searching for that...

and besides it's already accepted that a flood took place, every civilization has a myth about that

queeq
It's most unlikely the Ararat of the Bible is actually to be located in Turkey. It's more likely to be the ancient mountains of Arrata... in the Zagros Mountains. This is alos where the story of the Sumerian version of Noah and the Flood is located.

And I guess Sicilians don't pay for it. wink

Gundark
Tex, I have no connections to the mafia !!

At least none I can tell you about.

So now I'm a Amish Chick-Catholic Mobsteress-Mad Doctor-queeq lover.

I wonder how this will look on my next resume ?

LaurenE147
I heard on some movie someone said that the Sicilians invented prostitution even though its probably not true.

yerssot
it isn't...

oldest profession in the world

Tex
You keep talking trash about Silicians Lauren, Gundy and her Catholic mafia friends are gonna come round your house! eek!

Ushgarak
It is REMARKABLY loose talk just to say the biblical flood took place just because many civilisations have legends about floods.

yerssot
nono... there is nothing biblical about a flood, what I ment is that almost every civilization and almost every religion talks about a flood, because of that (they are situated in Asia, America, Europe etc.) you can say that a flood did take place

Ushgarak
No, you can say that many early civilisations had experienced the problems of flooding. Very different thing.

yerssot
they all said there was a big flood, not just a small one where they had troubles with, but one that was wiping out almost everything

Ushgarak
They make mythological references to floods as global disasters. They say the same about volcanoes and earthquakes. Great natural disasters get exaggerated. There is no agreement on time scale either.

Like I say, loose talk.

yerssot
almost all the dates match eachother (don't ask the date, I don't know it anymore), we're not talking about christian-muslim, but also Indians with the same date

Ushgarak
How very weird; none of them even had an accurate way of measuring dates from so long ago for you to make such a statement.

yerssot
the kings/emperors at the moment, the "year of ...", the "story of my fathers grandfather...", ...

it's indeed a difficult process of that, but they have menaged to find that out.
belief is that it came with the melting of the icecaps, if I remember correctly

Ushgarak
All very vague and loose talk. Much mythological stuff- the provenance of which is very questioanable anyway- is just set in a dateless past.

There is nowhere near enough to come to a consensus on this.

yerssot
indeed, there are people who think of one big flood and there are as many people who say it were little ones at a fast rate, others say it's not related, others say it's non-existing.

but myth can always have something historical correct

Gundark
So Tex, you're saying all my friends have bent noses and wear pinstripe suits ?

Ushgarak
Well, I'm not denying that yerss, just you seemed to have stated it as fact. Now you aren't, so all is well.

yerssot
my apoligies for that, I was stating a theory I believe in while others are out there too

Gundark
I saw something about a scientific explanation for the parting of the Red Sea. Had something to do with tides and an earthquake or something.....

Ushgarak
I question the value of trying to find a scientific explanation for something like that. As I think I have said before, as these are things we hardly have great hostoric or archaelogical evidence about, trying to rationalise them is rather pointless. In the end, either you have faith or you don't but going around the Boible trying to prove if things in it could or could not have happened rather misses the point.

Captain REX
And Moses split the sea!

What's the Mormon religion about?

Tex
ToMacco should convert to a Mormonism!
They cant drink you know! evil face

Bespin Bart
How come Zink is going to drink when he's older? roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
they don't have a mouth?

LaurenE147
OH. MY. GOSH. Atheists are desparate to prove that there is a God.

And what do y'all think about this Pledge of Allegiance business?

yerssot
I think: "give me the text first"

Captain REX
I pledge allegiance to the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the republic for which it stands
One nation under God indivisable
With liberty and justice for all

Some guy got pissed because his son had to say that in school when he wasn't Christian or any religion that worshipped god. The judge gave the order to have "under God" removed from the Pledge. Very stupid, and I know a Muslim, a Mormon, and a Jewish person that don't give a crap about what they say in the pledge, and don't care if they say "under God" or not. roll eyes (sarcastic)

queeq
Actually, there is evidence of major flooding, Ush. Archaeological evidence. They found huge sediment layers of flooding in ancient cities like Eridu and Uruk (ancient Sumerian cities, modern day Iraq) and there is clear evidence that the Black Sea was not always a sea. They found evidence of habition on the bottom. Of course this doesn't PROVE there was a global flooding. But the flooding of major inhabited areas and major cities AND the worldwide known myths of a big flood do tend to suggest at least SOMETHING went on there with huge floodings. Not just small annual ones like we have these days in Bangladesh for instance.

Gundark
That pledge thing pisses me off. So when the kid cited the pledge, he could have just stayed silent for those two words. Whats the big deal ? His father just wanted some publicity as far as I'm concerned.

Dim
Actually I feel the other way about it...I feel like it was stuck in there in the 50's for no good reason other than McCarthy era mentality and that if it wasn't originally written that way then it's just a ploy for the sake of popularity. I think the founding father's idea of seperation of church and state was a good one and I'd like to see us uphold it.

Don't get me wrong..I think God(s) has a place in everyone's life but I don't think that goverment is the right forum for it.

Gundark
What about having "in God we trust" on our money ?

Dim
It's not supposed to be there either...but I'm not an idiot. I'm not going say "but we have to get rid of the money" because that would cost a crap load and I don't want to pay a bunch of taxes for it. Maybe one day it'll be redesigned without the "In God we trust"...maybe not.

queeq
God and money.... bad match.

Dim
Yeah I was thinking that too... it's kind of an insult to God that we stick it on something that brings on such greed and corruption.

yerssot
but you don't have any money so it can't cost

Tex
I'm agree with Dim, God does not have any place in public school or on our money. Seperation of church and state!

How would you feel if the pledge went: and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under Buddah, indivisible with liberty and...........?

Gundark
I agree - very blasphemous to be putting God's name on money...the root of all evil.

yerssot
I would if you follow the ways of Buddah, it's not a religion

mah
there are desperate atheists and there are certainly desperate religous people. disliking a larger group of people because they do or do not believe in a god is idiotic.

Tex
No it's not.
I don't like Satanists, does that make me idiotic? stick out tongue

yerssot
no, you already are

mah
let's have a look at what I said shall we?

quote: ''because they do or do not believe in a god'' . you dont dislike satanists because they don't believe on god, you dislike them because they're jerks and because they dont tolerate religion.

Tex
I love you assface smile

Tex
assface being aimed at Yers

I dont like Stanists cause of their beliefs.

mah
yes, but what I said was to not dislike someone based on if they do or do not believe in a god.

yerssot
yes yes tex, I like you too
*under breath* yeah right

Tex
yerstupid stick out tongue
wink

yerssot
*slow handclap*
you're the first one that said that for sure

Ushgarak
Queeq, with that quote of mine you used I was talking about the parting of the Red Sea, not the Flood. All I said about the Flood was that it wasn't a certainty.

mah
pff! nonsense! religion should be taken away from such important speeches. especially in a country like USA, where people from so many different countries live. and on money and in politics and everywhere, argh! let people decide themself what they want to believe, and let it be a personal matter, not with one 'correct' religion stamped in your face everywhere.

Gundark
Well maybe they should just have everybody vote on it and go with the majority. I could care less one way or the other whether its in there or not.

mah
well of course it's okay for you when you believe in God. others though, might find it more important,

Ushgarak
It DOES seem odd that, in a country where Church and State are seperated, that those who believe in their country but not in God have to include God in the allegiance pledge.

Gundark
I never really thought about it that much. I'm a firm believer in God and a religious person (although you'd never know it to meet me, cause I don't normally discuss it) but the pledge is just something I never bothered to sit down and analyze. I've got enough other things on my plate.

mah
fair enough, but you said that happening discussed earlier pissed you off , in that other post

Tex
I think it should be against the law to say God Damn-it in public, and Holy Shit, and Jesus, cause some atheists might get offended!

Ushgarak
Seeing as it often offends religious types as well I am surprised that anyone says them at all...

Tex
I was making a joke! big grin

yerssot
hmmm, in dutch you have "godverdomme"
wich is actually "god, make me stupid", so it's more a wish than something else...,

Tex
My God, it's a miracle!!!
Yers, God has actually answered your prayers!!!! stick out tongue

yerssot
a bit too many times actually...

LaurenE147
I didn't say that I disliked atheists. There are some people who just take it to the extreme and try to push their atheism on everybody else.

mah
yes, but there are certainly those amongst the christians too! both have 'extremists'!

LaurenE147
Yeah, but atheist complain about having religion forced upon them when they are the ones who are foisting their lack of religion into everyday society.

yerssot
and how do they do that? or are you fixing on the extremists ?

mah
some christians try to force religion unto others, thats a fact. some atheist might do the same, but its not like they're ''worse'' than the religious.

Captain REX
Some Christians, but not all. I've never tried to force Christianity on anybody.

The Spainards did that when they began making the missions here in California. They taught the indians to accept Christ as their savior whereas they had never heard the name Christ or Jesus before.

LaurenE147
I have never tried to force religion on anybody.

yerssot
they're not the only one

mah
yes that's what I said; some christians and some atheists, but not all christians and not all atheists.

queeq
Hmmm, vague. stick out tongue

mah
but truesmile
it's just that some wants to point at one group and say 'those are the ones doing that', but there are maniacs to be found everywhere, with every belief.

finti
as someone mentioned earlier NONE should be part of the poll. Why the hell does people belive that everybody is part of some bougus religion.
roll eyes (sarcastic)

LaurenE147
But you never hear about Christians demanding boycotts of television shows about Christmas.

queeq
I've heard of animal rights activists boycotting fur companies and cosmetics company that test on animals.

mah
er... and? why should they?

hey, remember I'm not critizising christians, or any others, but when you say it like atheists are worst at complaining and forcing their views on others I have to object, thats not true. repeating: there are those amongst atheists who do that, and amongst christians and islamists and buddhists etc. etc, but you cant say those or those are worse at that, but those never do bad things.

yerssot
but you DO hear the pope with his demands

queeq
There is of course this thing called freedom of speech.

yerssot
if you're roman catholic you accept him as big boss

Tex
Yeah, but here in America Catholic people are really messed up.
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.