Comic Book Shop - I want your input.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BloodyAngel
I'm a Business Administration major in college right now and I hope to open my own Comic Book shop sometime soon after graduating. Here's my question to you all: What would you want to see in a comic book shop? Any advice you can give is welcome. But this is a serious question, so I just ask for serious answers.

One suggestion I've been given is to have a restaurant attatched to the shop, theming everything after comics, perhaps a hamburger/pizza place type thing. Who knows? Advice on that idea would be great as well.

Let me know what you think and what advice you can give.

BloodyAngel
Oh, another idea that was pitched to me was to have guest appearances, perhaps comic writers or actors who have played characters in various movies come to visit for signings or something. What do you think?

Blair Wind
I like the idea, but the question I have is: is it plausible? Do you, or could you get the connections for actors? writers? do you have the extra money to open a resturant, or do you know someone that you could share responsibility with (you with the comic shop and them with the resturant)

and if you do then I say go for it....besides that, a comic book shop with a resturant would work, EXEPT that you might make less of a profit if they just read the comic, without buyin it, while eating....so what I suggest is get one comic (that you dont sell) as a display and sell the comics in the sheets to hold them in....that way they would be forced to buy them....

BloodyAngel
hm, ok, thanks.

as far as the actors go, i don't yet, but I know how to get them I think. I was going to be an actress before I changed my mind, it'd take a while, but I think I could get the connections.

DigiMark007
The comic shop near my place is more than just comics...it's more like geek heaven. Magic: the Gathering card sets. Role-playing stuff (think D&D or Warhammer) along with figurines and such. And obviously, the latest comics titles as well as plenty of older comic stuff.

It's certainly viable, provided you have the start-up cost covered. And the restaurant is interesting, but probably not needed. Would it really attract the same demographic?? Or would you chase away potential restaurant customers because it's attached to a comic store? I think that, unfortunately, is probably more likely. Comic customers can't sustain a restaurant by themselves.

BloodyAngel
good point. i'll definitely take that into consideration...

Kool-Aid
Bag and board every comic at least a week after you get them.

Don't have any in the back issue section that aren't bagged with boards.

Seriously, I hate going to comic shops seeing people thumb through them looking for the issue they want and bending all the spines of the comics.

Even the TPB bag and board. People got greasy fingers.

Its a real good idea to bag and board the comics for the people who got pull lists with you and offer discounts for them.

The comic shop I go to offers 10% off on comics that add up to around 10.00 and 20% off on $20.00 or more.

Discounts are key.

I go to 2 shops that do that.

I also stop in others and they ask me why I never start a pull list with them.

I just tell them flat out, its because they don't offer the deals.

Thats pretty much all I look for in a comic shop.

Oh and remeber glossy side of the board faces the back of the comic.smile

BloodyAngel
lol. alright, sweet.

HellMaster93
yes God... I NEED A COMIC SHOP IN MY TOWN! The nearest is 2 hours away!

BloodyAngel
lol. Well, I'm not sure yet where this one will be. If I open it right after college it'll be here in Lincoln, however, this is a very small town. But it is a college town (there are two or three either in town or close to it) so I'm wondering if it would do well. I know several comic fans on my own campus, but I'm not sure if there'd be enough interest.

It's been suggested to me to move to the Chicago area first and then open this.

HellMaster93
Dammit... I thought you meant the PROPPER Lincoln for a minute... which is near me...

BloodyAngel
no, I meant Lincoln as in Illinois.

BloodyAngel
Anyone else have any input?

Mider
low prices will get you far

great search engine and the ability to order online

i also like to order things other then with a credit card so i wont be so paranoid about them stealing

good security system makes the costomer feel good

big catolog

knowing whats in your inventory is good also, ive been to places where they say that they have this and that in stock then suddenly BAM nope we dont have it and they've done it more then once then you just stop bothering.

You might also like to be able to special order comics that you dont have, i dont think ive found many places that do that but ive found a few.

have a consistent catolog its just as annoying as when they say we have it and dont, its just as annoying when they say we SHOULD HAVE IT and take a day of looking it annoys them but it also annoys you.

Good costomer service, people like to know how there order is doing.

BloodyAngel
Alright, having a computer system or something with notes on what we do and don't have would be good, okay. As far as online order, not sure I'd be able to do that for a long time, I don't have the skills in webpage design to do it, not to mention the money. That may be something to look forward to way down the road, but not immediately, idk.

thanks

Psyquis52
1.) You can't underestimate the ability to win friends in your work area. Read the book "How To Win Friends And Influence People" by Dale Carnegie and don't let the title throw you off. It is the second most life-changing book I've ever read and should not be underestimated.

2.) Buy back issues in large stock and then sell them for $1 a piece. If this can be arranged it is a great deal and a nice way of acquiring new customers.

3.) Repeat #1

4.) Heroclix...nuff said

5.) Look my head is on fire

6.) Get a cat or a dog. Study has proven that pet owner's live 30% longer than other people. It'll be worth it.

7.) Mice hate Spearamint. Leave little bottle caps full of Spearamint in places where you know mice are and you'll find that mice will come by a lot less regularly.

8.) Never eat a Polar Bear's liver...they're poisonous.

9.) Repeat #3

10.) Location, location, location (whatever that means)

that's all I've got.

BloodyAngel
Originally posted by Psyquis52
1.) You can't underestimate the ability to win friends in your work area. Read the book "How To Win Friends And Influence People" by Dale Carnegie and don't let the title throw you off. It is the second most life-changing book I've ever read and should not be underestimated.

2.) Buy back issues in large stock and then sell them for $1 a piece. If this can be arranged it is a great deal and a nice way of acquiring new customers.

3.) Repeat #1

4.) Heroclix...nuff said

5.) Look my head is on fire

6.) Get a cat or a dog. Study has proven that pet owner's live 30% longer than other people. It'll be worth it.

7.) Mice hate Spearamint. Leave little bottle caps full of Spearamint in places where you know mice are and you'll find that mice will come by a lot less regularly.

8.) Never eat a Polar Bear's liver...they're poisonous.

9.) Repeat #3

10.) Location, location, location (whatever that means)

that's all I've got.

blink

Psyquis52
Originally posted by BloodyAngel
blink

Seriously though.

1,2,3 and 4 are good tips.

Well, 1 and 2 are.

These are all actual facts sooooooo...it's still kinda pointless.

BloodyAngel
lol. but it still helps.

Psyquis52
I can't stress enough how important it is to read or listen to on audio book "How To Win Friends and Influence People"

I put it off because the title made me feel like a goof-ball but it's actually really smart and easy to read.

It really is an incredible book and that whole Spearamint thing is true and it does work. I'm certain you don't have problems with mice but if you did that would definately due the job.

BloodyAngel
any other ideas anyone? its been suggested to me to eventually branch out to movies, video games, etc. what do you think?

Psyquis52
I know of a comic book store that also runs an anime movie rental service and appearantly does okay with it. I find that a lot of comic book readers are also engaged in anime. It might be a good field to enter into. Action figures are a good idea as well.

I don't think video games would be a good idea...there's a lot of ties to that sort of business and it' s not easy to work with unless you already have some ties to it. (connections)

BloodyAngel
true. so anime would be a suggestion? Perhaps manga? idk. lol.

Psyquis52
true. so anime would be a suggestion? Perhaps manga? idk. lol.

Oh yeah. Manga is basically Japanese comic books so I think the two go hand in hand. It's really hard to find a comic book store that carries a good selection of manga as well.

BloodyAngel
Oh yeah. Manga is basically Japanese comic books so I think the two go hand in hand. It's really hard to find a comic book store that carries a good selection of manga as well.

Hm. I'll have to check it out, I know that English translations are available online, but are they actually available as the manga itself, something other than translated scans? maybe its a dumb question. lol.

DigiMark007
I can't stress enough how important it is to read or listen to on audio book "How To Win Friends and Influence People"

I put it off because the title made me feel like a goof-ball but it's actually really smart and easy to read.

It really is an incredible book and that whole Spearamint thing is true and it does work. I'm certain you don't have problems with mice but if you did that would definately due the job.

...yeah, um, can we turn off the infomercial? K, thanks.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

marvelprince
Well the manga and stuff are great ideas, but overall I'd say once you make sure sure you have a killer selection you'll attraction costumers. The limited amount of titles they sell on the island are usually scattered so I end up having to drive all over the place for what i want. Having everything in a convenient location will def help.

Sorry, but I've never exactly seen much benefit in a bookstore/restaurant other than having a place to eat while you read the book without paying.

Customer service. I'm sure you already know this but your attitude towards your costumers will help. Befriend them, encourage them to stop by and bring their friends. Even have cards to hand out to new customers. I can't tell you how many times a smiling face has encouraged me to make purchases.

Be versatile. Make other types of books availible. Manga is good, but also novels, like some fantasy titles, might make good additions.

Seriously like Psyquis said, just put a lil spearmint to get rid of rats. Its a known fact rats hate all X-titles so I start by putting some spearmint around there

Hope I've been able to give you some fresh ideas

BloodyAngel
You definitely have helped, my next question was actually going to be towards selection. Obviously I have to have DC and Marvel stuff. I don't know much about other companies except Dark Horse. Any other names I should be aware of? (i'm still new to the comic world myself, the comic book shop I should say is kinda my husband's idea as well).

and also, employees. People constantly try to convince me to hire people over 21 saying they are "more responsible" am I the only one thinking that's bull crap? I'd rather hire anyone able to do the job, no matter the age, so long as they can do the job well.

diabloman
i go about everyother week and pick up afew books. i didnt know they did that free comicbook day thing all over they US

Psyquis52
You definitely have helped, my next question was actually going to be towards selection. Obviously I have to have DC and Marvel stuff. I don't know much about other companies except Dark Horse. Any other names I should be aware of? (i'm still new to the comic world myself, the comic book shop I should say is kinda my husband's idea as well).

and also, employees. People constantly try to convince me to hire people over 21 saying they are "more responsible" am I the only one thinking that's bull crap? I'd rather hire anyone able to do the job, no matter the age, so long as they can do the job well.

Vertigo has a huge fan-base as well as Image. There was Valiant from back in the day and they had a fan base going for a while but now the only thing you see from them is those Turok shooting games. I'm a bit rusty on the rest but you'd be suprised what all people would buy so keep your options open and don't turn your back on any titles just because it's unfamiliar.

I agree with not putting an age restriction on hiring. Heck, if you know a responsible 16 year-old then hire her/him. My wife was more responsible than I am when she was 15 so don't close your doors on anyone younger for that reason but just the same I'm going to shoot out some stereotypes for you...

1.) Guys are usually less responsible than girls. Again these are stereotypes but seriously they do help.

2.) College students will call in at a moment's notice. They fake sick often because they want to do somethinig other than work.

3.) Women are hard to work with. Most girls like drama and will cause drama just to have something to talk about.

4.) Women can be incredibly competitive. Men are competitive physically. We like to play sports and video games. You can tell when a guy is being competitive. Women conive and use off-handed methods for their enemies. They can be very evil.

5.) Most men fake they don't know how to do something so we won't have to. It's true.

6.) Most ninjas wear black. It's not true. Don't you believe it.

7.) Psyquis is actually a girl's name. That's a lie from the pit of hell.

8.) Women are natural multi-taskers.

9.) Men are good for single tasks and long term projects

10.) Everybody from Indiana are inbreeders and generally bad people.

Again these are just stereotypes. I mean no offense to anyone. However, it might be helpful.

Also take a little time to research Personality Profilers. They can come in real handy. You can get a Sanguine/Melancholy personality profile test for free online if you look it up but if you want a really good personality profile test then I recommend the DISC personality profile, but that is a little expensive.

BloodyAngel
alright, sweet.

well, i'm heading out, I'm moving out tomorrow and won't be on for a while, but seriously guys, keep leaving comments in this thread on anything you think should be in a comic book store, tips, anything. I'll find a way to check back from time to time.

HellMaster93
Definitely have Image comics as Spawn has a HUGE fan-base... maybe you should have some kind of occasional comic-fans gatherings with sales etc...

Broken Darkness
Alright, I realize this is an old and dead thread of mine, but I'm still considering this, might go back to school just to get my business degree so i can open this up.

Someone gave me the idea of, instead of a restaraunt, doing a Starbucks in there. I'm living in another town now, and it's fairly small, near the border of indiana, but someone said we needed a starbucks, etc, and I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea.

But I need something other than just comics, there's a comics store here already but it's never open, it might be shut down, from lack of business. I need some fresh ideas.

pr1983
Originally posted by Broken Darkness
Alright, I realize this is an old and dead thread of mine, but I'm still considering this, might go back to school just to get my business degree so i can open this up.

Someone gave me the idea of, instead of a restaraunt, doing a Starbucks in there. I'm living in another town now, and it's fairly small, near the border of indiana, but someone said we needed a starbucks, etc, and I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea.

But I need something other than just comics, there's a comics store here already but it's never open, it might be shut down, from lack of business. I need some fresh ideas.

to be honest, if there isn't the customer base for it, then i'd seriously recommend that you don't go ahead with it...

if there is the customer base, then why not do stuff like pub quizes (except, you know, with comics), with the winners getting free comics etc...

as long as you have the customer base and the up to date issues in stock, you should be alright...

Darth Vicious
Collectors Action Figures! Sell the latest and if possible rare action figures. There are times I skip the comics and go straight for the next A.F that will adorn my desk.

As for the "celebrities" go, it dont have to be real famous. My local comic book shop sometimes brings some guy from Babylon 5 and the place usually gets packed. Celebrities from old/cult shows might make an appearance cheap since a lot of them are has beens.

kai3345
any other ideas anyone? its been suggested to me to eventually branch out to movies, video games, etc. what do you think?

I say NO. Because my aunt is opening a coffe shop and she wanted to have all thse like diffrent foods and all this other stuff and her advisor person said to just keep it simple and stick to the core stuff that your shop advertises (In your case comics and maybe manga) he said you dont want to get to complicated or else you'll end up having to much stuff and you wont be able to maintain it all.

grey fox
Originally posted by HellMaster93
yes God... I NEED A COMIC SHOP IN MY TOWN! The nearest is 2 hours away!

Same here, except change the two hours to five.Originally posted by DigiMark007
The comic shop near my place is more than just comics...it's more like geek heaven. Magic: the Gathering card sets. Role-playing stuff (think D&D or Warhammer) along with figurines and such. And obviously, the latest comics titles as well as plenty of older comic stuff.

It's certainly viable, provided you have the start-up cost covered. And the restaurant is interesting, but probably not needed. Would it really attract the same demographic?? Or would you chase away potential restaurant customers because it's attached to a comic store? I think that, unfortunately, is probably more likely. Comic customers can't sustain a restaurant by themselves.

Man I used to love Warhammer, the rules just got a little to complicated for me however....

I still know most of the plotlines and races, just the frikken rules which are annoying.

Broken Darkness
Well, as far as customer base goes, i don't know. i need to find out more about what happened to this other comics place.

Galan007
What would you want to see in a comic book shop? Comics. stick out tongue

endrict
What my favorite shop does and gets a lot of loyal customers. He makes a bin for each good customer(name and number) and in there is comic titles you pick. This way we know each month is kept up to date with comics.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
There is a lot you can sell. Comics....New and old. Trading cards, any kind like D & D or sports cards for football, basketball, hockey, etc. My comic shop which is only 15 minutes from where I live also sells action figures from MARVEL and DC. Its fairly easy to open a comic book business. Just try to have good contacts so you'll know when the comics come out. You can also maybe sell comic book movie DVD's.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by endrict
What my favorite shop does and gets a lot of loyal customers. He makes a bin for each good customer(name and number) and in there is comic titles you pick. This way we know each month is kept up to date with comics.

Most comic shops have "subscriptions" like that. My local comic book shop gives a 10% on all new released comics for all subscribers.

Broken Darkness
I figured I'd make a pull list of sorts for that and, if I was able to manage it, even make pull lists available online even.

Disappear
the comic shop closest to my home has a 20% discount on new issues, back issues and trades for subscribers. subscribers just need to have ten issues on their monthly pull list, which is like getting two of those free after discounts. most collectors buy more than eight comics a month, so that's not really a big stretch.

the next closest sucks. it's full of the battlehammer, magic, RPG, card games stuff. and it's not bad that those are there, i know they often go hand in hand. but the way the customers who play those games act, and yell, and the way the employees often step away from their jobs for half an hour to play a game with some kid makes it unbearable. if you're going to take that route, make your employees keep their priorities straight, keep the in-house players from shouting or acting like dicks, and generally don't hire shitty people.

that's just a big point. have a helpful staff that reads comics, but doesn't talk your ear off with their opinion. i didn't need to hear half an hour's worth of raving to understand the guy liked astonishing x-men, and it actually turned me off from buying it, or shopping there, again.

comic-related merchandise is always helpful. the comics and more shop in the king of prussia mall has a great selection and they have shirts, toys, collectors items, etcetera. they also have a specific section for the all ages comics, which is considerably smaller, but also very well organized, updated and generally in good shape. if i had kids getting into comics, that's the first place i'd shop with them, just because of the seeming respect they give to the often-overlooked all ages comics.

nothing's going to be better than having a big, healthy selection of back issues, and a great display system for the more current issues. i don't remember the shop's name, but some big store in the middle of ridley, PA had all of the more recent issues of every comic imaginable lining the shelves along the outside, and a neat, aisle-like series of backissue bins, actions figures and other merchandise throughout the middle. it was, by far, the best store i've been to in terms of selection, though their sparse staff and gang of regulars made newcomers like myself feel a bit out of place.

good staff, good selection, none of that bullshit, and enough corresponding merchandise layed out to make the shopper's eyes roam should do you some good.

best of luck. lord knows we could always use more stores.

Broken Darkness
Hey Disappear, haven't seen you in a while. lol, anyway...

Yeah, about staff, if they do that kind of crap they won't be working there long at all. I wouldn't let them step away to play a game or anything of the like.

As far as getting your ear talked off, well, I'm afraid Marcus would even do that and at the start it'd be myself and Marcus at first probably.

I don't like obnoxiously noisy stores either, it looks really bad on the owner/operator of the place. The only noise would be whatever secondary function the place would have to help keep the business open, whether I do the coffee shop or restaraunt idea or something else.

But as I said, I'm still hoping to do the online stuff, it might even become one of the main parts of my business.

Juntai
no, I meant Lincoln as in Illinois. Sweet, I'm in Bloomington/Normal.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Disappear

the next closest sucks. it's full of the battlehammer, magic, RPG, card games stuff. and it's not bad that those are there, i know they often go hand in hand. but the way the customers who play those games act, and yell, and the way the employees often step away from their jobs for half an hour to play a game with some kid makes it unbearable. if you're going to take that route, make your employees keep their priorities straight, keep the in-house players from shouting or acting like dicks, and generally don't hire shitty people.

that's just a big point. have a helpful staff that reads comics, but doesn't talk your ear off with their opinion. i didn't need to hear half an hour's worth of raving to understand the guy liked astonishing x-men, and it actually turned me off from buying it, or shopping there, again.

I agree with you. Ive been lucky enough that there are around 2 local comic shops in my town and about 10 more in the towns closest to mine. So anyways, I went to this particular store and they had everything, action figures, old issues, trades, merchandise, RPG and while checking their comics I heard a noise from the back room and when I took a closer look it was like 10 kids in a couple of tables playing D&D. They were acting like asses. I never went back to that store. Its just annoying hearing them yelling and shit!

I like my local comic shop. The attendant may make small chat about current issues but dont talk comics unless I ask him about a particular comic and even then he wont spoil the end or surprises. Our conversations are short and sweet.

Broken Darkness
Originally posted by Juntai
Sweet, I'm in Bloomington/Normal.

I'm afraid I don't live in Lincoln anymore though. lol.

I'm in a small illinois town about 45 minutes from Terre Haute, Indiana now.

NiņoAraņa
my local comic shop rocks. yes it's like 15 mins by bus, and they have everything i would get, or normally need. plus they carry action figures, manga, posters, DVDs, TPBs, and all that good stuff.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.