Favorite Novel to Film movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

office jesus
I want to know what are some of your favorite novel to film movies. And don't say Lord of the Rings. That's a cop out ( even though they're good films ).

Impediment
Why is it a cop out? The LOTR trilogy was a fantastic series, so would I NOT name it? Others I'd include are:

American Psycho
A Clockwork Orange
The Exorcist
Fight Club
The Godfather
Hellraiser (originaly The Hellbound Heart)
Jaws
The Princess Bride
The Witches of Eastwick

jaden101
fear and loathing in las vegas
empire of the sun
trainspotting

hopefully i'll soon be able to add "i am legend" to that list as well although will smith as Robert Neville is a bad choice

BackFire
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by jaden101
fear and loathing in las vegas

That was a near perfect transfer from page to screen. Depp and Del Toro were perfectly cast.

Along from the ones already mentioned in other posts, I'd add:

'The Shining'
'Stand By Me'
'The Shawshank Redemption'

Although I'm not the biggest Stephen King fan, those movies are all excellent.

Finally, I've never read 'The Orchid Thief', but I loved 'Adaptation'.

echud12345six
WHAT THE **** YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT NOVEL TO MOVIE CONVERSIONS AND YOU HAVEN'T EVEN MENTIONED BATTLE ROYALE IM LOSING FAITH IN THE IS FORUM lol jk

Dusty
Shawshank Redemption (More of a shart story than a novel)
Sin City (Graphic Novels)
The Count of Monte Cristo
To Kill a MockingBird
The Outsiders

Books I didnt Read:

Full Metal Jacket
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Escape from Alcatraz
The Dirty Dozen
Forrest Gump
The Godfater Pt. I and Pt. 2
Man on Fire
The Outlaw Josey wales
Sideways
The Warriors

Impediment
Some more I forgot to add:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Outsiders
To Kill a Mockingbird
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Rdemption
Stand by Me (originally The Body from the novella)

I also agree with Dusty about Sin City. Seamlessly adapted from the graphic novels. Amazingly faithful!

Mr Parker
Tex
Patriot Games
The Shining
and Jaws.
To Kill a MockingBird is a good adaptation but I dont like the story or movie.too depressing that he ends up guilty when he was not.

sithsaber408
Cronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Bardock42
If it includes GN, I have to say Sin City was amazing.

SnakeEyes
.... Lord of the Rings! *runs out of thread*

office jesus
Originally posted by Impediment
Why is it a cop out? The LOTR trilogy was a fantastic series, so would I NOT name it? Others I'd include are:

American Psycho
A Clockwork Orange
The Exorcist
Fight Club
The Godfather
Hellraiser (originaly The Hellbound Heart)
Jaws
The Princess Bride
The Witches of Eastwick

Why is it a cop out? 'Cause it's one of the first ones that come to mind. Fairly easy.

office jesus
Originally posted by Bardock42
If it includes GN, I have to say Sin City was amazing.

Yeah. Sin City was pretty awsome. Hm. My personal favorite'd have to be The Godfather. Although I'm kinda' partial to The Time Machine. The newer one. It's good in a campy sort of way.

xredemption
I would have thought Harry Potter was more of a cop out now-a-days =P

Impediment
Originally posted by office jesus
'Cause it's one of the first ones that come to mind. Fairly easy.

Therefore, you have undeniable proof that LOTR is a great novel-to-film transfer, hence thats why many people name it off the bat.

Jen-R
Da Vinci Code by far. clapping cool wickedph

I cant stop watching it. I enjoyed it so much.

Wolfie
Fight Club.

forumcrew
Originally posted by office jesus
Why is it a cop out? 'Cause it's one of the first ones that come to mind. Fairly easy.

silence of the lambs came to mind first for me.

Neo_Version 7
Yeah, The Da Vinci Code was pretty good although the problem was there wasn't any effort to expand on what was already in the novel. erm

Bardock42
Originally posted by Wolfie
Fight Club. Originally posted by forumcrew
silence of the lambs came to mind first for me.

Good choices.

systemshock2
"The Day of the Jackal" (not to be confused with the Bruce Willis one). I listened to the novel on audiotape, was very happy with it, then I rented the movie and was pleasantly surprised at how professionally it was made. It stays in near perfect tandem with the novel, with some scenes being ripped straight out of the pages. There were a few liberties that were taken, like for example adding more of a romance with the Jackal's lover, but otherwise everything worked great.

Dr_Joshua_Keyes
I would have to say Secret Window Secret Garden by Sephen King..with the great movie Secret Window with Johnny Depp. It's really great.

GallantKnight
Clockwork or Fight Club

Deathblow
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Amazing book, film (Blade Runner) almost matches it.

The Godfather Parts 1 & 2 are the only movies that spring to mind that are actually better than the novel(s) they are based on (apart from Jaws, of course). Mario Puzo's work is pretty shallow and pulpy, the movies are rich, dark and much more menacing on screen than on the page.

Other than that, Fight Club (the movie) is probably as good as the book (although the end products are quite different), although there were parts of it that I thought played out better in the book. Same for A Clockwork Orange. Both fantastic films in their own right though.

I started reading The Da Vinci Code once. It was laughably bad, and I refuse to watch the movie. It's actually become a joke already. God I hate Tom Hanks.

BackFire
Also have to mention Audition, NeverEnding Story, Princess Bride, Paths of Glory and The Shining, along with all of Kubricks other films.

SnakeEyes
The Prestige
Fight Club
American Psycho
Lord of the Rings

Solo
Blade Runner
A Clockwork Orange
Lord of the Rings

The Hawk
Forrest Gump
Count of Monte Cristo
Of Mice and Men

manorastroman
who's afraid of virginia woolf? (though it's a play)
the graduate

mike nichols forever!

Solo
Originally posted by Solo
Blade Runner
A Clockwork Orange
Lord of the Rings
Ah, very dumb on my part.

2001, by far.

manorastroman
weird you forgot, you even included another kubrick novel-movie translation...ah well, at least there can be reparations.

Solo
Yeah I know, 2001 is one of my favorites too.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Blade Runner isn't a strict adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, is it?

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Impediment
Some more I forgot to add:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Outsiders
To Kill a Mockingbird
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Rdemption
Stand by Me (originally The Body from the novella)

I also agree with Dusty about Sin City. Seamlessly adapted from the graphic novels. Amazingly faithful!

great choices.I will list the ones that I have read that you listed that I agree are great novel to film movies.
Jaws
The Exorcist
the shining
one flew over the cuckoos nest
To Kill a mockingbird
The others you listed I havent read.

a few more I want to add to this list that are really great are
The amityville horror
Halloween
Patriot Games
The Omen and
Tex.

Blue_Hefner
It
Spider-man, Batman (i consider comic books novels)
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Roots
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Legend of Sleepy Hollow

DanZeke25
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
.... Lord of the Rings! *runs out of thread*

doan_m
Children of Men is easily one of my favourites.

Solo
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Blade Runner isn't a strict adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, is it?
Not at all.

manorastroman
that one about the jewel thief.

Coolhalvo
I agree with some of the above choices, but I also have some problems. For example, The Davinci Code was great but it was so great that the movie no where near did it justice. A great book to movie transition has to be an upgrade. I know its odd but my favorite is James and the Giant Peach.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.