Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dusty
Based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, "300" concerns the 480 B.C. Battle of Thermopylae, where the King of Sparta led his army against the advancing Persians; the battle is said to have inspired all of Greece to band together against the Persians, and helped usher in the world's first democracy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/300_comparison.JPG

Awesome.

If you want me to drag this into the comic book movie forum right now, I will.

I just thought you fella's would be more interested. I will move eventually, though.

Mr Parker
Na dont drag it in there.It wont be seen by the movie goers in general.when does this movie come out?

Bardock42
That sounds nice, I haven't read that GN, but I always was fascinated witht he Battle.

T.M
This sounds interesting.. IMDb site

the trailer is on there to.. I think it is the 'making of'

SnakeEyes
I've read the graphic novel, and although I enjoyed it, I really didn't see it as movie material. It simply wasn't long enough and didn't really focus around a character. I mean, if focused on Leonidas, but there was no character development or anything like that. Unless they add a whole bunch of content that wasn't in the graphic novel, I'm not so sure this movie will be that great. Visually, I think it will be stunning, but overall, I don't think it'll be that good. The novel Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield would make a MUCH better film.

office jesus
Frank Miller? :: Perks up. :: You've officially piqued my interest.

Neo_Version 7
"Gates of Fire" 4 Life! stick out tongue

forumcrew
this is an incredible event in history. I havnt read the novel but ive studied ancient greek history and really thought this event was one of the most badass things ever. Not to mention the "heroes" or "goodguys" whatever you wanna call them will all die unless they ruin the story which isnt that common.

Bardock42
Originally posted by forumcrew
this is an incredible event in history. I havnt read the novel but ive studied ancient greek history and really thought this event was one of the most badass things ever. Not to mention the "heroes" or "goodguys" whatever you wanna call them will all die unless they ruin the story which isnt that common.
Thanks for spoiling....tss.

forumcrew
sorry i assumed a movie about a real event has already been spoiled, especially when people have also already read the graphic novel. The fact is its 300 men verse thousands of men, theres no way youd expect them to live, and them dying isnt what was important.

Bardock42
sorry i assumed a movie about a real event has already been spoiled, especially when people have also already read the graphic novel. The fact is its 300 men verse thousands of men, theres no way youd expect them to live, and them dying isnt what was important.

Yeah, I know...I was kidding...you know, like saying that the Titanic is going to sink or something.....

Dusty
wrong thread.

BookPress
What did you think of the characters in this novel? More so talking about their personalities

SnakeEyes
First of all, it's not a novel. A graphic novel, yes, but that is a lot different than an actual novel.

As for your question, they only really focused on Leonidas (King of the Spartans), so I don't see how they can make a good film when only focused on one character like that... that they didn't even focus on that much in the first place.

Go read my last post for why I'm so skeptical about this film.

forumcrew
well you know they could base it on historical events anyone seen the footage from comicon?

buddha1822
well you know they could base it on historical events anyone seen the footage from comicon?
yea, I saw it... was simply incredible... next to Spider-Man 3 and Ghost Rider, will be one of the top movies of 2007... hands down, all because of the footage I saw there.

it was just amazing. it looked beautiful but it was epic and intense and just amazing... I can't even explain. it was a full trailer with lots of clips and content so there's no way I can "say what they showed." But since I saw it I've been bringing it up to as many places as I can emphasizing at just how incredible the trailer was.

This movie will seriously kick some major ass... You all watch out - could be one of the big ones of 2007. big grin

forumcrew
it maybe, ghost rider? dont think so. I really hope this footage hits the net.

RZA
I'm assuming you guys have already seen the promo trailer...well in case you haven't here it is...enjoy

http://www.gerardbutler.net/300/300_promo_trailer.htm

I'm not a big fan of Miller's work and I didn't care for Sin City but I too recall the impressive tale of the battle of Thermopylae and enjoyed it quite a bit.

If you're looking for something that's historically accurate then look elsewhere. This is obviously based on fiction, which is evident from the battle scenes. Seems like it might be a more beefed up and CGIed up version of 1962. It does look very cool tho and it might work if you're looking for something that's Sin City like.

Oh btw, in the opening scene Leonidas doesn't actually say ''Spartans tonight we dine in Hell" what he actually said was "Feast today, for tonight we shall dine in Hades"...meh whatever

Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
"Gates of Fire" 4 Life! stick out tongue
I agree. yes Best adaptation to date and IMO would make for the best film yet.

Omegaman
This IS based on ACTUAl events..its called HISTORY!

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Omegaman
This IS based on ACTUAl events..its called HISTORY!

This is loosely based on actual events.

The movie is based off of the Frank Miller graphic novel, so it's not really "history." It is most definitely more fiction and it won't be that historically accurate.

forumcrew
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/hd/

much better quality trailer is out.

looks amazing.

How losely based is frank millers work? It doenst look like the THespians are in the movie.

Solo
The trailer was attached to "The Departed", it looks like an absolute mess. The CGI and the acting looks so awful, I couldn't help but laugh.

Alliance
This movie looks thrilling.

Jim Reaper
Movie looks sweet. I'm biased though, I loved "Gates of Fire." Awesome novel.horse

DanZeke25
Looks great.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Solo
The trailer was attached to "The Departed", it looks like an absolute mess. The CGI and the acting looks so awful, I couldn't help but laugh.
Gotta disagree... I think it looks amazing. Right behind Grindhouse on my must-see list...

SpaceMonkey

Sorry, but it looks like you might have seen a different trailer. It looks absolutely amazing!

RocasAtoll
Trailer

Looks AMAZING. Anyone else agree?

Tptmanno1
Looks gret, but I think there is another thread..
Or I could be halucanating.

Aizen
Graphic Novel is just great..no...better sed awsome...and I dont expect nothing less from the movie!

Madvillain
why not watch it in HD

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/trailer1/

Strangelove
The trailer was attached to "The Departed", it looks like an absolute mess. The CGI and the acting looks so awful, I couldn't help but laugh. Looks pretty great to me. Classic Frank Miller

Solo
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
Sorry, but it looks like you might have seen a different trailer. It looks absolutely amazing!
I read "300" ages ago, I loved the novel. I know "300" when I see it. I still stick by my previous opinion, it looks awful.

SnakeEyes
The graphic novel wasn't even that great. It's definitely overrated; and I'm afraid the movie will be as well.

Kumar
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
The graphic novel wasn't even that great. It's definitely overrated; and I'm afraid the movie will be as well.

yeah agree. The graphic novel was kinda bizzare too. If it is a successful movie, it will be a cult classic and probably not a hollywood blockbuster.

zeuspower
Looks amazing from the trailer probably won't be amazing to sit though the whole thing

Aizen
OMG you ppl...if you don't like movies like these don't even try to post here...300 will be great...probably better then other stupid movies that will come in 2007

zeuspower
Just looks like it will be visually thrilling - which is enough for me I'm definetly going to see it but it might just drag a bit.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The trailer for this movie looks amazing. It also builds a great sense of atmosphere.

Here's hoping...

forumcrew
Well we have all been enjoying the teaser trailers for a while. But now the full length theatrical trailer is out! http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1529799&sdm=web&qtw=480&qth=300

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Quite simply, it looks like one of the coolest movies you'll ever see.

jaden101
WOW...JUST ****IN' WOW

Dusty
Looks beautiful from what I saw. Here's hoping.

Lunch_Meat
I watched the new one last night. I had to lay down for awhile after watching it lol. This movie is going to own.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
"The thousand nations of the Persian Empire descend upon you. Our arrows will blot out the sun."

That line's a bit good. Bit.

Robtard
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
"The thousand nations of the Persian Empire descend upon you. Our arrows will blot out the sun."

Na, the reply which is also in the original 60's movie (The 300 Spartans) is a better line:

"Then we will fight in the shade"

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Good line, too. I just love the sound of the guy's voice in the line I quoted.

Dusty
Is it just me, or was the man (that appeared to be the main character) was yelling throughout the entire trailer?

Ultraman Baltan
I am SO ready for this movie! Persian War=THE ULTIMATE FILM!

Ultraman Baltan
I just saw the trailer again. Possibly the best trailer in years.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

Yeah, that line sounds good.... plus I like that the guy who says it is like Super-Ugly. Ahh, to go back to those simpler times when the uglier a man was the manlier he was!! LOL evil face

Robtard
Originally posted by Dusty
Is it just me, or was the man (that appeared to be the main character) was yelling throughout the entire trailer?

He plays arrogant King who not only commands the worlds best figthing force, he himself can take on a small army. Wouldn't you be yelling?

Solo
Yeah, that pretty much seems to be the point of the whole ****ing movie.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, that pretty much seems to be the point of the whole ****ing movie.

Yeah, I agree. I think a movie about a ferocious war should be a subtle and contemplative meditation on the meaning of love and all its nuances. Why were there no restaurant scenes in the trailer? How can we accept this reality if there don't seem to be any lines like "You complete me"? There doesn't even seem to be a moment when the principal characters skip sweetly down the street holding hands as the rustic autmn leaves fall!

I don't buy it! I JUST DON'T BUY IT!

FistOfThe North
The movie looks intense, beautiful, manly as hell, and bold. I loved the way the ocean looked while thrashing those viking looking ships about.

The whole movie looks like a masterpiece of art. And since it's Frank Millers work, then I know it'll be graphic and gory as hell. It'll be like "Gladiator", and any other grand epic that's come out in recent times, on steroids.

I'll look forward to watching it.

Aizen
Beautifull sed FistOfThe North STAR

Also the man that yells is not the king...he's the army captain...also a very talented actor.

Gerard Butler .... Spartan King Leonidas

The new trailer...looooooks so damnnn craaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy!

Vincent Regan .... Captain

Aizen
s**t a mistake is made .....gerard is the yelling guy....I missunderstodd...then I checked in IMDB and saw th mistake....well you'll get the point!

Robtard
I watched the newest trailer when I went to see Apocalypto this weekend. It not only kicks ass, but this movie only gets more and more appealing, I recommend seeing the newer/longer trailer.

Jim Reaper
Here's the new trailer on yahoo. http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/300.html

Alliance
laughing out loud The narration was a bit cheesy....I hate narration in trailers. We don't have silent films for a reason!

Still stoked about it though.

The lighting effects are orgasmic.

Jim Reaper
The visuals are nice... Can't wait to see this flick.

Dusty
New trailer looks nice.

fruits
this movie looks like the most intense movie of my life

moviefanatik
I cant wait for this movie o come out. I will be the first in line OMG, the battle scenes look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KharmaDog
The visuals in this movie look awesome an I look forward to seeing it.

I just fear that a whole generation of kids are actually going to think that this is how the battle at thermopylae happened, and I find that disturbing.

jaden101
Originally posted by KharmaDog

I just fear that a whole generation of kids are actually going to think that this is how the battle at thermopylae happened, and I find that disturbing.

career epiphany....history teacher

Grimm22

Yeah, the movie portrays the Spartans as fighting for Freedom and yet in reality, the Spartans had a VERY oppressive system of government.

With 3 classes, the nobles, the warrior class and the peasent class.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Can't wait to see this

mailedbypostman
Originally posted by Grimm22
Yeah, the movie portrays the Spartans as fighting for Freedom and yet in reality, the Spartans had a VERY oppressive system of government.
Do they? Damn, more propaganda.

General G
This movie looks amzing! I saw the trailer for it and my mouth fell open! i will definately be one of the first in line!

fini
it opens this coming week. It looks amazing, really want to go see it............ if i could

Napkin Thief
The Spartans also had two Kings... so where was number 2 when King Leonidas I was kicking Persian a** with only 300 men (not including other Greeks)?

Hercules
Originally posted by Napkin Thief
The Spartans also had two Kings... so where was number 2 when King Leonidas I was kicking Persian a** with only 300 men (not including other Greeks)?

An oracle had foretold that Sparta could be saved only by the death of one of its kings, one of the lineage of Heracles (Hercules).

King Leonidas was one of the sons of King Anaxandridas II of Sparta and a descendant of Heracles, he took only 300 men of an all sire unit (Men who had sons old enough to carry on their bloodline and head the family) because Sparta's religious customs did not allow them to send out an army at that time of the year (due to the festival of Carneia).

As Thermopylae was a choke point it has also been argued that the Athenians were confident that a small force led by Leonidas would be enough to hold the Persians, otherwise the Athenians would have vacated their city and sent their entire army to Thermopylae.

It can also be argued that the intention was only ever to hold up the Persian's there while the Persian navy was defeated at sea.

Whichever way you look at it Leonidas knew he and his men were going to certain death and even told his wife "Marry a good man and have good children" when she asked him what she should do after he departed.

MMA_Fan_Matt
I saw it on Saturday. All I have to say is: awesome. That is all.

General G
I am going to see it this weekend!

Omegaman
Saw it last night...AWESOME movie. I suggest going to see it! BUt if you didnt like SIN CITY...you might not like this one! It does have a bit of a "fantasy movie" feel to it but I still thought it was really good!

General G
They made the movie seem extremely intense! Which made it look even better

exanda kane
Originally posted by General G
They made the movie seem extremely intense! Which made it look even better

How? Just lots of quick, choppy cuts or did they have some of those CGI shots going on? (ala Pearl Harbour bomb)

Council#13
Originally posted by Hercules
An oracle had foretold that Sparta could be saved only by the death of one of its kings, one of the lineage of Heracles (Hercules).

King Leonidas was one of the sons of King Anaxandridas II of Sparta and a descendant of Heracles, he took only 300 men of an all sire unit (Men who had sons old enough to carry on their bloodline and head the family) because Sparta's religious customs did not allow them to send out an army at that time of the year (due to the festival of Carneia).

As Thermopylae was a choke point it has also been argued that the Athenians were confident that a small force led by Leonidas would be enough to hold the Persians, otherwise the Athenians would have vacated their city and sent their entire army to Thermopylae.

It can also be argued that the intention was only ever to hold up the Persian's there while the Persian navy was defeated at sea.

Whichever way you look at it Leonidas knew he and his men were going to certain death and even told his wife "Marry a good man and have good children" when she asked him what she should do after he departed.

Athens was evacuated, wasn't it? And burned by Xerxes. But then rebuilt. All is good. raver

Darth Oblivion
Originally posted by Council#13
Athens was evacuated, wasn't it? And burned by Xerxes. But then rebuilt. All is good. raver

True, but it was never restored to its former glory.

General G
Originally posted by exanda kane
How? Just lots of quick, choppy cuts or did they have some of those CGI shots going on? (ala Pearl Harbour bomb)

The commercials I have seen have all been epic battle scenes and people yelling memorable commands during the battle scenes...I dunno, maybe it was just me smile

exanda kane
The commercials I have seen have all been epic battle scenes and people yelling memorable commands during the battle scenes...I dunno, maybe it was just me smile

It's just following some market strategy...I hate to be the typical cynical hippy here, but I just don't see how it can interest many people short of 12 year old World of Warcraft players

General G
It's just following some market strategy...I hate to be the typical cynical hippy here, but I just don't see how it can interest many people short of 12 year old World of Warcraft players

Im not 12 and I hate World of Warcraft....and it interested me, so...

exanda kane
So obviously I just don't understand why you like such a brash film as this. To me, it looks like something like Stealth, or Deja Vu, for more of a niche audience.

homer2.0
that's good i've never read the GN but the movie seems awesome

General G
So obviously I just don't understand why you like such a brash film as this. To me, it looks like something like Stealth, or Deja Vu, for more of a niche audience.

srug

I just found it interesting...

KharmaDog
srug

I just found it interesting...

You might want to read "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield.

jaden101

i just ordered that book today...

SnakeEyes

Comparing 300 to Stealth and Deja Vu is ridiculous. Believe me when I say it'll be nothing like them.

Watching the trailer for Stealth made me want to vomit, whereas watching the one for 300 got me excited.

And despite that, they really are different stories/films.

doan_m
Originally posted by Grimm22

With 3 classes, the nobles, the warrior class and the peasant class.

In contrast to the rest of the world at the time, Greece was considered to be a hell of alot more "free" then most of the world. Hell Xerxe's considered himself to be such a man in power that there was an alleged punishment of the sea where he gathered some men to whip the sea after his defeat in Salamis. Surely enough WE modern blokes view the spartans as oppressive, but you have to consider that relative to their time, it was still considered "free".

§uffer§noopy
It looks great, can't wait to see it. Neither can the rest of my school, really.

doan_m
^The rest of your school? I've never seen an entire school excited by a single movie ever.....

§uffer§noopy
Me neither, aside from the last Lord of the Rings movie - ours is fairly small though. Pretty much everyone is going to be going to see it opening weekend.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by jaden101
i just ordered that book today...

I think you will enjoy it. No historical novel is 100% accurate, but this book is a real fun read, and probably a little closer to how things may have played out than most.

jaden101
well i'll definitely have time to read it before the film comes out because the UK release has been put back till the end of the month...bastards

General G

I'll keep an eye out for it wink

FistOfThe North
300, tomorrow. Yea!. I can't wait for it. I'll catch the 1st show.

SnakeEyes
I think you will enjoy it. No historical novel is 100% accurate, but this book is a real fun read, and probably a little closer to how things may have played out than most. Originally posted by jaden101
well i'll definitely have time to read it before the film comes out because the UK release has been put back till the end of the month...bastards

Gates of Fire is WAY better than 300, imo.

I wish they would've made a movie of that instead.

Meh, I'll settle for this.

Bardiel13
Seeing this movie tomorrow. I've been anticipating it for a while. It looks absolutely ass-ruling. The sheer testosterone of it all might make me grow an extra nut.

Gannon
From the trailers it appears to be visually stunning and has awesome looking battles. The cgi looks great. Too bad i probably cant see it due to the nudity/sex. At least not in theaters. erm

exanda kane
Originally posted by Bardiel13
Seeing this movie tomorrow. I've been anticipating it for a while. It looks absolutely ass-ruling. The sheer testosterone of it all might make me grow an extra nut.

Yes, it does look quite homo-erotic. eek!

manorastroman
just saw the midnight showing. it's everything you'd expect, though the digital blood fails at times. unbelievably silly, unbelievably stupid, unbelievably kick ass.

Hercules
Originally posted by Council#13

Yes but not until after the battle of Thermoplyae, sorry I should have been more specific and said they would have already vacated their city and sent their army. cool

G U I T A R
This movie looks freakin wicked awesome! jawdrop

WrathfulDwarf
I'm going to see it this weekend.

Really looking forward for the film.

Darth Oblivion
COMES OUT TODAY!!

*parade parade parade*
*national holiday!!*
*WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

InnerRise
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this film as well.

I dont' even go to movies by myself anymore, but I think this movie will definitely get me out there alone again. I can't miss seeing this movie in the theaters first before I buy it when it comes out.

I'll either see it today or tomorrow.

Spearhead
Saw it at 12:05 am here.

I'd just like to say there's something about this movie that is just...amazing. Graphically, viscerally, this is what a war movie should be like. It could have been a very gruesome film, but for the most part it wasn't; I both like and dislike that, though.

To its credit, I've never wakled out of a theater with as large of an adrenaline rush as I have with 300.

§uffer§noopy
From your description, I'm glad I'm going off to see it twice this weekend.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Spearhead
Saw it at 12:05 am here.

I'd just like to say there's something about this movie that is just...amazing. Graphically, viscerally, this is what a war movie should be like. It could have been a very gruesome film, but for the most part it wasn't; I both like and dislike that, though.

To its credit, I've never wakled out of a theater with as large of an adrenaline rush as I have with 300. I heard that it was a very violent film.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

exanda kane
Originally posted by Spearhead
This is what a war movie should be like.

And I thought war movies aimed at showing us the horrors of war? maybe that's just my opinion, but it's glorifying war. And apparently war is bad.

FistOfThe North
meh. i just finish seeing it. It was ok. I wasn't a "Gladiator" but I would've waited for a movie like "300" if i'da known it was gonna be like this. I didn't wow me like "Sin City" did. When i left the theatre.

Mr. director & Frank Millar, a.k.a. graphic novelist, I expected more detail in the battles and less flamboyancy. I couldn't get into the plethora of slow motion shots, either. I expected more. More gore. More decapitations. Like 90% of all killings were spear stabs. The spewed CGi blood needed work.

This looked like a movie that would've fared well a few years back.

The story was ok. I just wished the King and his Spartan army of 300 realized that there's a thin line between courage and stupidity.

But I loved the way Xerxes look and how he sounded. And how he was first presented. What was he like 7-8 feet tall.

Sin City was way better.

Grade: C

ariwin
Man, I can't wait to see this. Hours away!

Myth
The movie was good at best. The visuals were simply amazing but it was 90% fighting and 10% story. More story would have been needed for it to have completely won me over.

General G
I am seeing this next week and I cannot wait!

§uffer§noopy
I am expecting an action film, with the story to be minimalized. most likely I will be giving a good opinion of it.

m. sade
this movie was stupid. some of the action was good, but overall it reminded of those old films that recount stories from the bible, where there's a bunch of white folk pretending to be Egyptians and Jews. In this case it was bunch of pumped up dudes from the gym pretending to be Spartans.

It was nauseatingly stupid in more ways than I can articulate, but from conception to execution, this has to be one of the stupidest movies I've seen. it should never have opened its mouth with a message either

The only redeeming quality of this movie were the action sequences, and among those, I'd say the first battle was the best. In addition, the hyper-stylization was overdone. too much in my opinion

This movie would have been better as an exclusively 'Lord of the Rings' type fantasy, but as a pseudo-historical account, it was infuriating. I can only speculate on how much of this was inherited from the comic book, because I have never read it.

Bardiel13
Just saw it. Here's my experience:
I lost my virginity, grew another testicle, and had a soulshattering mindgasm all at the same time. For a movie with so little plot, it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. This is one of those movies your HAVE to see on the big screen. Oh, gods how I loved it ;_:

~Pielover~
This is a movie folks. It's got fighting, and two sexy chicks with pretty good racks.

The Oracle=****ing hot.

Anyways...this is basically the best movie that came out this year, and it will probably maintain the number 1 spot throughtout the rest of the year.

Oh, and I saw this shit on IMAx, so I seriously suggest that.

goatstradamus
Just saw it. I thought it was a good mindless entertaining movie. It had great special effects and was bloody as hell.
Although I gotta say, I thought it was pretty funny how leonidas was spouting all this stuff off about protecting freedom and what not . The reason being is that the spartans actually built there economy around the slave labor of the helots. Thats the reason why the could focus so much on training their men for war, because they had slaves do everything else!
oh well though, it doesnt reallly matter since its based on a graphic novel, haha.
It was a good movie though, very intersesting and fun to watch.

§uffer§noopy
Originally posted by Bardiel13
Just saw it. Here's my experience:
I lost my virginity, grew another testicle, and had a soulshattering mindgasm all at the same time. For a movie with so little plot, it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. This is one of those movies your HAVE to see on the big screen. Oh, gods how I loved it ;_: A reflection of my experience.

BackFire
Certainly a fun movie, great fighting, great style, boobs. Just good ol' popcorn fun.

exanda kane
Here's a fun review.

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0710,lee,75993,20.html

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by BackFire
Certainly a fun movie, great fighting, great style, boobs. Just good ol' popcorn fun.
the camera work amazed me, especially the fight scenes.

InnerRise
Great Movie.

I still can't remember where I've seen that women who plays the queen from though.

Quiero Mota
This movie was like Pearl Harbor: the battle was the only thing worthwhile about the flick.

The movie could've gone without the corny-ass dialogues.

xxXAcStylesXxx
Originally posted by m. sade

This movie would have been better as an exclusively 'Lord of the Rings' type fantasy, but as a pseudo-historical account, it was infuriating. I can only speculate on how much of this was inherited from the comic book, because I have never read it.

The entire movie is a directly lifted from the graphic novel to the big screen, shot by shot, word for word.

What annoys me about the dislike for 300 is when people complain about how it wasn't "historical". It wasn't a retelling of the actual battle, it was a retelling of a graphic novel LOOSELY based on the events of battle of Thermopylae. Hence why we have an 8ft tall gold ordained slightly trans-gender Xerxes, hunch backs, freaks of all sorts, actually making the "Immortals" of the Persians look badass and them making no mention of the other 6000 Greek coalition troops on the first two days and the 1000 Theosians(sp) that stayed behind on the third day.

Also the Spartans making fun of Athens for being "boy lovers" even though they were so openly gay that they had their wives dress as men on their wedding nights because they couldn't fathom how someone could be attracted to a woman.

Anyways, I personally loved the movie it shattered its hype, from the breath taking visuals, to the slow mo action which totally captured the feel of the comics, plus it gets extra points for me for being one of the first "epic ancient" war movies to liberally use black people as Generals, Scouts and messengers and more then Greek and Roman slaves.

300/10

§uffer§noopy
I liked the live-action comic book feel it gave, and I agree witht he above poster. It is a movie lifted word for word, scene for scene from a graphic novel which was loosely based on a movie which was based on the battle of Thermopylae. Also, why would someone go to the movies to see a Theatrically-released history lesson?

Blaxican
Originally posted by xxXAcStylesXxx
The entire movie is a directly lifted from the graphic novel to the big screen, shot by shot, word for word.

What annoys me about the dislike for 300 is when people complain about how it wasn't "historical". It wasn't a retelling of the actual battle, it was a retelling of a graphic novel LOOSELY based on the events of battle of Thermopylae. Hence why we have an 8ft tall gold ordained slightly trans-gender Xerxes, hunch backs, freaks of all sorts, actually making the "Immortals" of the Persians look badass and them making no mention of the other 6000 Greek coalition troops on the first two days and the 1000 Theosians(sp) that stayed behind on the third day.

Also the Spartans making fun of Athens for being "boy lovers" even though they were so openly gay that they had their wives dress as men on their wedding nights because they couldn't fathom how someone could be attracted to a woman.

Anyways, I personally loved the movie it shattered its hype, from the breath taking visuals, to the slow mo action which totally captured the feel of the comics, plus it gets extra points for me for being one of the first "epic ancient" war movies to liberally use black people as Generals, Scouts and messengers and more then Greek and Roman slaves.

300/10

All the black people died or lossed limbs though no expression

AngryManatee
This is something written by an Iranian citizen regarding the movie 300:

A new movie called "300" is opening on March 9th in theaters all over the United States, sponsored and made by Warner Brothers Pictures.

It is based on a graphic novel by Frank Miller which portrays the battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas and 300 Spartans fight against Xerxes and his Persian army.

Upon seeing the previews of this movie, it immediately becomes clear that apart from the actual names used in it, the entire depiction of this battle is based on fantasy. Xerxes and his army are shown as monster-like men, with attire and attitudes that can only be seen among demons.

It is obvious that no research has been conducted on behalf of the studio or the writer of this supposedly epic story, and sometimes it even seems as if attempts have been made to purposefully insult ancient Persians.

Please take a moment to sign the following petition to boycott this insulting and inaccurate movie, in the hope that our voices may be heard.

http://www. online.com/wpc

Alliance
This is dumb. The move had a spin on it. It was not insulting to ancient Persia any more than a type of bad guy in another movie.

Because Miller overportrayed Ephialtes of Trachis' deformity, does that make this move an emblem of hatred of the physically hadicapped? No.

The Persian empire is one of the most powerful in human history. Xerxes is shown as a large man because that is what the anceints used to signify divine status. Xerxes was divine, he's portrayed that way.

And sorry, but the way the Immortals were portrayed was simply badass. Nothing insulting there.

The story is told from the Greek perspective. What do you want?

Rogue Jedi
its an action movie, a hollywood movie, what'd you expect?

xxXAcStylesXxx
Shhhh! We take every victory we can...

AngryManatee
I'd like to clear up that my opinion was not posted in the initial post. I personally thought the movie was amazing. Just thought this was a stupid letter that the world should see.

Rogue Jedi
i got that. i was acknowledging the article.

MightyEInherjar
Xerxes monster-like? Try God-Like. They did a damn good job IMO to make him seem so much more than a man. With his jewelry, counsel, etc, his character dripped with divinity.

I take it this guy hasn't even seen the movie, judging as he wants to boycott movie...

Penelope
I havent even seen the movie yet, for fear that i may see too many "mistakes". But i know deep down inside, that i have to see it.

Ana P
Both the graphic novel & the movie weren't meant to be historically accurate.

People need to understand that.

Draco69
300 is a comic book that fictionalizes the Battle at Thermployae. It's no different from a fantasy book fictionalizing King Arthur and Merlin. Or Dracula.

The petitioner is an idiot. Luckily, the world won't likely hear him with all the car bombs going off....

BackFire
Person who started that petition is a huge retard, and an ******* to boot. It's a fictional movie, has been billed as such, and has no false sense of reality.

Just another example of a dipshit looking for things to be offended over.

KidRock
Who cares..the movie was kickass.

Rogue Jedi
thats the bottom line, baby.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by AngryManatee
Xerxes and his army are shown as monster-like men, with attire and attitudes that can only be seen among demons.

Originally posted by AngryManatee
it even seems as if attempts have been made to purposefully insult ancient Persians.

You don't say?

In case it wasn't blatantly obvious, the movie had a very strong Greek slant. It minimally acknowledged the other 7,000 Greeks who helped the 300 Spartans.

And Xerxes was actually close to 7 feet tall, which the movie depicted.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by xxXAcStylesXxx

Yeah, no kidding. The Spartans were even bigger shit-pushers than the Athenians.

And that's saying a lot!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It was pretty good, but I was hoping for more. The best lines of dialogue and scenes were pretty much all in the trailers. Every time someone's head came off was a bit silly.

ViolentCalm
Highly entertaining, though the evils (?) were a huge turn off, the oracle and then the Persian Kings little throne room scene were nice. But the violence was amazing, blood everywhere, i loved it smile

ESB -1138
I saw 300 yesterday. It was awesome. One of the best films I have seen all this year and then some. I loved how all the slow downs worked in perfectly during the fight scenes.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Myth
The movie was good at best. The visuals were simply amazing but it was 90% fighting and 10% story. More story would have been needed for it to have completely won me over.

That was the story. All they did back then was fight and die. The best part of the movie in my opinion was the character development. I really enjoyed how the entire Spartan army worked together as a team. They bonded together well and it made the movie that much more interesting to watch because you actually cared what happened to them. My heart was thumping like mad when the Spartan King engaged in the one-on-one battle. Good Movie!

8/10

this movie was stupid. some of the action was good, but overall it reminded of those old films that recount stories from the bible, where there's a bunch of white folk pretending to be Egyptians and Jews. In this case it was bunch of pumped up dudes from the gym pretending to be Spartans.

It was nauseatingly stupid in more ways than I can articulate, but from conception to execution, this has to be one of the stupidest movies I've seen. it should never have opened its mouth with a message either

The only redeeming quality of this movie were the action sequences, and among those, I'd say the first battle was the best. In addition, the hyper-stylization was overdone. too much in my opinion

Kudos to the "fantasy" type background. Most of the things in that movie look like they came from World of Warcraft. It made sense though because the movie was based on a comic book not the real historic battle.

Captain Maynard
where there's a bunch of white folk pretending to be Egyptians and Jews. In this case it was bunch of pumped up dudes from the gym pretending to be Spartans.

They're called Actors now.

I'm still not seeing a reason for it being bad, except the fact you're too stupid to figure out a way to put it into English.

Are you forgetting about the: Acting, Cinematography, Story, Charecter Development, etc..

All of it. That was the whole point. Never did it say in any advertisements about the movie "Based on a True Story". It said "Based on a Graphic Novel by Frank Miller"

As you can tell, I thought it was an amazingly awesome movie. The best of the year . It has been a while since a movie like this has come out. And thank god there is no Russle Crowe to worry about. All and all, the acting was awesome, the Cinematography was practically flawless, and the Story was awesome.

I'm giving this movie an 9 out of 10.

InnerRise
I loved the scenes away from the battle field back home as much as I loved the war aspect of it all to tell the truth.

I especially love the part where the Spartan Queen stuck it to that traitor.

The one thing I hated was that I went early in the day and there wasn't hardly anybody there so that took away from the experience. But from the little bit of people that were there, I'm sure I head a little miniature cheer when she actually did that.

I can only imagine what would have been the consequences of her action is those coins hadn't spilled out revealing him to be a traitor.

Once again I want to say this was a great movie.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>