Dragons

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NineCoronas
Yes, Dragons. Not Dungeons and Dragons, just Dragons. Do you think they once existed, or could exist? Even if not exactly as depicted in stories?

Shakyamunison

NineCoronas

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by NineCoronas
Maybe, but I doubt that. There are a lot of different dragon types besides the Western Style (Four legs, 2 wings... red), such as the Sea Dragons, Wyverns and Chineese Dragons that have been in a lot stories.

I personally think they did exist, and perhaps the Sea Dragons still do (Can't exactly tell, now can we?), though the ones you commonly hear the Knights and Shining Armor slaying are most likely embellished. smile

I am basing my information on two different programs on the history channel. One was about dragons and the other on was about the Cyclops.

Today in China they sale ground up dinosaur bones as dragon bones for medicine.

debbiejo
Sure, why not............much is talked about them in historical book.....and things/creatures can die out.........who knows......

grey fox
A dragon couldn't support it's weight on it's wing's , they would have to be so damn big they would cover a whole town (perhaps 2 ) .

The fire-gland would also be difficult to explain.

Chinese dragons are about as off the scale as you can get realwise.

Blue nocturne
Maybe.

Mindship
Dragons are fictional, the original, quintessential monster. They represent the darkest, most primal aspects of our psyche, the classic fear of what predator might leap from the dark (this is why they are found in almost every culture and are an amalgam of real-life beasts).

Eastern dragons--being beneficial--may represent some of man's earliest attempts to master this primal fear.

BTW, did you know "Dracula" is Romanian for dragon?

grey fox
Originally posted by Mindship
Dragons are fictional, the original, quintessential monster. They represent the darkest, most primal aspects of our psyche, the classic fear of what predator might leap from the dark (this is why they are found in almost every culture and are an amalgam of real-life beasts).

Eastern dragons--being beneficial--may represent some of man's earliest attempts to master this primal fear.

BTW, did you know "Dracula" is Romanian for dragon?

Yup

Dracula - Drac - Draco - Dragon

leonidas
Originally posted by grey fox
Yup

Dracula - Drac - Draco - Dragon

yes

komodo dragons exist. confused

traditionally, there doesn't really need to be an historical basis for dragons, as mindship is saying. they've been around for many thousands of years in stories and art. there may have been some basis -- i too have heard the dinosaur bones theory -- but to imply there must have been (not that the thread starter is saying there must be) is to say there must be an historical basis for mythological creatures.

perhaps the ancients simply had great imaginations. wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by leonidas

I can't imagine that. laughing

PVS
no, there were no dragons.

debbiejo
Could be factional and not..........we will never know.........look at the Bamberger (sp) beetle?

Hey other manals will be gone...platypus....Doe Doe bird (sp)

PVS
Originally posted by debbiejo
Could be factional and not..........we will never know.........look at the Bamberger (sp) beetle?

Hey other manals will be gone...platypus....Doe Doe bird (sp)

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

debbiejo
Bombarter beetle????

HAHAHAHHA.......

Are you trying to sat something???..........WHO KNOWS WE WEREN'T THERE!!!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are you admitting to not understanding Deb? laughing

Just don't ask me what she is talking about. eek!

PVS
Bombarter beetle????

HAHAHAHHA.......

Are you trying to sat something???..........WHO KNOWS WE WEREN'T THERE!!!

i wont sat another word.

Shakyamunison
...Are you trying to sat something???...

You can sat that again. laughing

debbiejo
Sooooooooooo much is written about them in history fictionial and non fiction books, sooooooooooo who are we to say........

WrathfulDwarf
They DO exist!

Read The Hobbit and then watch a movie call Dragonslayer and finally listen to Puff the Magic Dragon song.

debbiejo
laughing out loud .........thought so..........

Mindship
Dragonslayer...great movie. Reign of Fire: great dragons, not so great movie.
Puff the Magic Dragon...well, we know what That's about...

amity75
Crocodiles were probably confused with dragons in the old days. Though I remember years ago one of my chemistry teachers explaining how it WAS possible (In a theoretical way) for animals to breathe fire. Can't remember the chemistry behind it though. I should have listened more.

Mindship
There was a "documentary" done last year on a Discovery channel (I think) about dragons. Explained a lot of things very scientifically, including how dragons could fly and breathe fire. Cool stuff.

debbiejo
SEE!!!...........Possibility.............

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by amity75
Crocodiles were probably confused with dragons in the old days. Though I remember years ago one of my chemistry teachers explaining how it WAS possible (In a theoretical way) for animals to breathe fire. Can't remember the chemistry behind it though. I should have listened more.

If the bacteria in the stomach produced hydrogen, then the dragon could eat platinum and make fire.

lord xyz
have you heard of Nessy?

debbiejo
Think I'll get on my broom now.......... wink

lord xyz
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
If the bacteria in the stomach produced hydrogen, then the dragon could eat platinum and make fire. platinum is so cool happy

but dragons don't exist, it started with Chang Qu in 4th century China who discovered dragon bones, and made up some background behind them.

debbiejo
Why is so much written about them in almost every culture then???. (well not America)..they didn't even know each others culture at that time.

lord xyz
invasion, and immigration, how do you think christianity and Jesus spread when it started in Israel?

debbiejo
Satan???

Arachnoidfreak
I feel the need to clarify a few things.

The breathing fire isn't hard to explain. Cows emit methane gases, so could another animal. all it would have to do is chew flint to light a spark and viola! a fireball.

Dracula is "Son of the Dragon". Dracul is dragon. the 'a' at the end means 'son of'

and they are most probably early explinations for dinosaur bones combined with a natural predatory fear(seeing the bones and then making up the most fearsom thing you can think of)

its really too bad dragons are fictional. I want one.

debbiejo
Well Dracula was a real person, but not as we know him today in fictional books............nasty though.....The impayler.

lord xyz
Draco means dragon.

debbiejo
As in the constellation surrounding Cassiopeia...

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by lord xyz
Draco means dragon.

Wrong language sparky.

We're talking the original Romanian Dracula, Vlad the Impaler.

Mindship
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
If the bacteria in the stomach produced hydrogen, then the dragon could eat platinum and make fire.

Bing! That's it! Hydrogen was the key to a lot of the dragon's characteristics, eg, seeking platinum was also the basis for dragons "hoarding treasure."

http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/dragons.html

Found it, yes!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
Bing! That's it! Hydrogen was the key to a lot of the dragon's characteristics, eg, seeking platinum was also the basis for dragons "hoarding treasure."

Found it, yes!

Ya, I saw the show. big grin

Maestro
Ask Deano, there based on Reptile Men smokin'

ILoveMyDaniel
Originally posted by NineCoronas
Yes, Dragons. Not Dungeons and Dragons, just Dragons. Do you think they once existed, or could exist? Even if not exactly as depicted in stories?
In general, it's quite hard to know if dragons existed or not. How on earth could something that large really fly, speaking of dragons with wings. Where would they get a good enough food supply to nourish themselves with such a large body? And how exactly could an animal breathe fire? I'm not saying it's not possible that they existed, I'm just stating the common questions.

Mindship
Originally posted by ILoveMyDaniel
In general, it's quite hard to know if dragons existed or not. How on earth could something that large really fly, speaking of dragons with wings. Where would they get a good enough food supply to nourish themselves with such a large body? And how exactly could an animal breathe fire? I'm not saying it's not possible that they existed, I'm just stating the common questions.
Got questions?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.