Where does instinct come from?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison

grey fox
8th level on consciousness = Genetic Memory = Fight or flight

SHAZAM !!!!

debbiejo
Inside to what is connected to what IS.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by grey fox

SHAZAM !!!!

How does it work?

grey fox
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
How does it work?

Your body does it without you knowing it , it's animal mentality. Kinda like how you breath without realising it , or how Newborns can swim...

Shakyamunison
Your body does it without you knowing it , it's animal mentality. Kinda like how you breath without realising it , or how Newborns can swim...

So, how does it get passed on to the next generation?

grey fox
So, how does it get passed on to the next generation?

Through your Genes/Dna/Rna/Genetic Material , it's natural.

Have you played on MGS ? Alot of the genetics on it are pseudo science but some of what they talk about is understandable with Big bosses 'Soldier Genes'.

Shakyamunison
Through your Genes/Dna/Rna/Genetic Material , it's natural.

Have you played on MGS ? Alot of the genetics on it are pseudo science but some of what they talk about is understandable with Big bosses 'Soldier Genes'.

But if you read the thread, there is a problem with the information being stored in the genes. Once you are born, your genes don't change, so any experiences don't count. Am I wrong about that? big grin

grey fox
Individual experiences don count , just because you rode a bike now doesn't mean your son will instinctively know how.

REAL instinct though is something which is basic or necessary for mans early survival and as such is ingrained on/in our very minds form the day were born.

Shakyamunison
Individual experiences don count , just because you rode a bike now doesn't mean your son will instinctively know how.

REAL instinct though is something which is basic or necessary for mans early survival and as such is ingrained on/in our very minds form the day were born.

But how dose it work? Where is this information stored, and how is it passed on?

grey fox
Possibly in the back part of your brain (the fight or flight part)

How else do things get passed on ...Through the horizontal tango of course. big grin

Mindship
Certain behaviors are determined by genetic programming (arrangement of molecular "bits" at the subcellular level). Among that genetic programming is the capacity to learn and "rewire" on the cellular level, not just within the brain/nervous system, but within the whole body. Genes may be set (relatively speaking), but the body is plastic. This is why skin darkens in the sun, muscles get bigger when you lift weights, and neurons grow more connections when stimulated with challenging tasks...all this potential being genetically determined.

For example: genetics determine the size and shape of a bird's wings; they also determine developmental growth, mentally, physically, and also neurochemically "signal" to the bird when it is time to try and fly. However, once the bird leaps from the nest, then it has to learn how to flap them feathers, use what genetics has prepared it for. There is trial-n-error, sensorimotor feedback, interaction with the environment, with the bird storing the experiential information.

Well, something like that...
smokin'

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
Certain behaviors are determined by genetic programming (arrangement of molecular "bits" at the subcellular level). Among that genetic programming is the capacity to learn and "rewire" on the cellular level, not just within the brain/nervous system, but within the whole body. Genes may be set (relatively speaking), but the body is plastic. This is why skin darkens in the sun, muscles get bigger when you lift weights, and neurons grow more connections when stimulated with challenging tasks...all this potential being genetically determined.

For example: genetics determine the size and shape of a bird's wings; they also determine developmental growth, mentally, physically, and also neurochemically "signal" to the bird when it is time to try and fly. However, once the bird leaps from the nest, then it has to learn how to flap them feathers, use what genetics has prepared it for. There is trial-n-error, sensorimotor feedback, interaction with the environment, with the bird storing the experiential information.

Well, something like that...
smokin'

So basically, the things that happen to you in life changes your genes? So, a child born to a young mother will be genetically different then one born when the mother is older. That can be tested. smile

grey fox
So basically, the things that happen to you in life changes your genes? So, a child born to a young mother will be genetically different then one born when the mother is older. That can be tested. smile

More then likely , the child will probably be weaker as the older mother would lack the various necessities that younger mothers produce....

Shakyamunison
More then likely , the child will probably be weaker as the older mother would lack the various necessities that younger mothers produce....

However, if the about is true, the later child will have more instinct to draw on, even if it is only slight. That does not make much sense. If the child born to the older mother has disadvantages because of a weaker mother, then the child born to a younger will have the advantage and more likely pass genes on to the next generation.

grey fox
Yup , it's a double edged sword in that sense.

Shakyamunison
Yup , it's a double edged sword in that sense.

What if, the information was stored in a location that we cannot detect yet. What if the 8th level of consciousness is real but something outside of our knowledge and our ability to detect?

Blue nocturne
What if, the information was stored in a location that we cannot detect yet. What if the 8th level of consciousness is real but something outside of our knowledge and our ability to detect?

Then it's untestable as of now, science can only test something that our 5 senses can analyze.

lord xyz
scientifically, I think, it's your brain working it out itself with the information stored in it from resource-senses such as our eyes, ears, etc.

our instict is genetic that some brains are better than others due to the DNA coding, which is why people get different assumptions and thoughts, but instinct is like a natural thought in the brain, kinda.

too hard to explain wink

Blue nocturne
Originally posted by lord xyz
scientifically, I think, it's your brain working it out itself with the information stored in it from resource-senses such as our eyes, ears, etc.

our instict is genetic that some brains are better than others due to the DNA coding, which is why people get different assumptions and thoughts, but instinct is like a natural thought in the brain, kinda.

too hard to explain wink

Different thoughts come from experience, Instincts are genetic traits you acquire since birth.

lord xyz

SHAZAM !!!! or simply stay very still.

But isn't that supposed to be stress wink

lord xyz
Originally posted by Blue nocturne
Different thoughts come from experience, Instincts are genetic traits you acquire since birth. O RLY?

Shakyamunison
Different thoughts come from experience, Instincts are genetic traits you acquire since birth.

How are they changed?

Blue nocturne
How are they changed?

you mean instincts?

Shakyamunison
you mean instincts?

Yes.

Blue nocturne
Yes.

I don't think they can change, rather the indivdual aquires traits that compliment his/her instinct. Lets say I instictivley know how to swim by practicing I can further that trait, That's what I think.

leonidas

your timeframe is off though. an instinct would/could take many generations to form. there will have been a time when we did not possess all the instincts we have now. let's simplify: a bacteria will run away from some substances and toward others. how did that first bacteria, the one that ran away from the harmful substance after many before it didn't and died, pass on that info to its progeny? genetically, through dna. (unless you think bacteria also have several levels of consciousness big grin ) the info is encoded as it is very beneficial to know that if you go near that substance it will kill you.

human instinct (though obviously more complex) is essentially the same thing as far as i understand it.

FistOfThe North
Instinct comes from a sector in the subconscious.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by leonidas
your timeframe is off though. an instinct would/could take many generations to form. there will have been a time when we did not possess all the instincts we have now. let's simplify: a bacteria will run away from some substances and toward others. how did that first bacteria, the one that ran away from the harmful substance after many before it didn't and died, pass on that info to its progeny? genetically, through dna. (unless you think bacteria also have several levels of consciousness big grin ) the info is encoded as it is very beneficial to know that if you go near that substance it will kill you.

human instinct (though obviously more complex) is essentially the same thing as far as i understand it.

I like your analysis, so, how did this bacteria change its DNA?

And yes, according to Buddhist practice, all sentient beings have 9 levels of consciousness.

Blue nocturne
Bacteria have been known to sacrifice themselves during a viral invasion, to protect it's kind.

leonidas
I like your analysis, so, how did this bacteria change its DNA?

And yes, according to Buddhist practice, all sentient beings have 9 levels of consciousness.

laughing out loud

NOT an easy answer. spontaneous mutation, i suppose. but what causes that? you'd need to know more about genetics than i do, and frankly, i'm not sure the process is fully understood even by geneticists.

interesting topic. wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by leonidas
laughing out loud

NOT an easy answer. spontaneous mutation, i suppose. but what causes that? you'd need to know more about genetics than i do, and frankly, i'm not sure the process is fully understood even by geneticists.

interesting topic. wink

Thank you

I get this far, and then I think that maybe the Buddhists got it right.

leonidas
laughing

Mindship

Barring cosmic rays or nuclear radiation, or other things of that nature, no, your genes don't change. For all intents and purposes, your molecular-genetic architecture is set. What changes are on the cellular level, eg, a neuron sprouting more dendrites. But how many dendrites, how efficient they are, thickness of the myolin (sp?) sheath, what level of stimulation is required; these are determined genetically..

Shakyamunison
Barring cosmic rays or nuclear radiation, or other things of that nature, no, your genes don't change. For all intents and purposes, your molecular-genetic architecture is set. What changes are on the cellular level, eg, a neuron sprouting more dendrites. But how many dendrites, how efficient they are, thickness of the myolin (sp?) sheath, what level of stimulation is required; these are determined genetically..

Still the same problem. How is this information gathered, stored and passed on? evil face

Mindship
Still the same problem. How is this information gathered, stored and passed on? evil face

H'mm. I could say through synergy, from the orchestration of all the parts, but maybe, I think, you're asking something else... smokin'

In effect, are you asking, At what point in the whole process is matter translated into information? How does the arrangement of all these parts become something "I know"?

Isn't that where consciousness comes in? Happy Dance

Blue nocturne
H'mm. I could say through synergy, from the orchestration of all the parts, but maybe, I think, you're asking something else... smokin'

In effect, are you asking, At what point in the whole process is matter translated into information? How does the arrangement of all these parts become something "I know"?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't information a result of how we interact with matter?

Shakyamunison

Yes, and were is consciousness in a bacteria?

Maestro
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innate_behaviour

http://pixnaps.blogspot.com/2005/08/innate-information-and-behaviour.html

Blue nocturne

IMO bacteria just have a way lesser conscious than us, I hope no one minds me getting philosophical.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Maestro
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innate_behaviour

http://pixnaps.blogspot.com/2005/08/innate-information-and-behaviour.html

Yes. However, what about a baby that can swim at birth or an animal that can walk at birth?

Mindship

I mean consciousness in the broadest sense; awareness. Bacteria are aware of and can respond to their environment.

I always liked this comparison: Mass and Density are to Gravity as Complexity and Integration are to Consciousness.

Blue nocturne
I mean consciousness in the broadest sense; awareness. Bacteria are aware of and can respond to their environment.

I always liked this comparison: Mass and Density are to Gravity as Complexity and Integration are to Consciousness.

The level of awareness = Level of consciousness.

Mindship
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't information a result of how we interact with matter?

You ain't wrong.

Yes, awareness = con'ness.

Blue nocturne
You ain't wrong.

Yes, awareness = con'ness.

Score one for me.

Mindship
Score one for me.
smile

But that's for the purposes of this discussion. It's what I like. Not everyone sees it like that. Some prefer "consciousness" as in "self consciousness" (self-awareness, not embarrassment). The word is reserved for what only humans seem to have, an egoic presence.

Maestro
Yes. However, what about a baby that can swim at birth or an animal that can walk at birth?

In the majority of cases, its the mother of the new-born which initiates the creature to walk and swim, by providing them the means of attempting it, by prodding them, as a way of force. It can also be in a passive way, for example, the new-born seeing how their mother does a procedure, in which the new-born watches, and attempts to do it until they finally learn. To look at it, in the wider sense, I think that along with innate behaviour, another thing thats being passed on from different generations is the principle of being able to analyse, learn and teach to one generation to the other.

Capt_Fantastic

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.