Downloading Costs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shugie99
Supposedly the movie industry is losing $6.1 billion on people illegally downloading movies...I was wondering what you all thought of this statistic...

I find it kind of crazy...so if the movie industry is losing this money, who's making it? Criminals?

Dusty
Just because they are losing money doesn't mean someone else is making money.

People just take it.

shugie99
I think that money is obviously going into the hands of the people pirating and making the downloads or the sites that are hosting them... it's definitely lost revenue, which is a problem because studios need that money to keep making films. It may not catch up iwth them soon, but eventually it will impact what movies are made and which are never realized.

MildPossession
I just don't understand how someone can sit and watch a shitty quality film...

Dusty
Originally posted by shugie99
I think that money is obviously going into the hands of the people pirating and making the downloads or the sites that are hosting them... it's definitely lost revenue, which is a problem because studios need that money to keep making films. It may not catch up iwth them soon, but eventually it will impact what movies are made and which are never realized.

Allow me to improvise a situation.

A man just saw a private screening of an all new anticipated film, and while in the theater he just so happened to be sporting a video camera with a full charged battery and recorded the whole film.

He goes home, Uploads the film on his computer so he can watch it wherever and make it a DVD. Then, the program known as 'Limewire' recognizes the file and uploads it into the file sharing network. People search it, download it, and then sell it or use it for private home use.

Originally posted by MildPossession

I feel the same way. I watched a bootleg of 'The Bourne Supramacy' and I vowed never to do that again.

The subtitles were cut off and I had no Idea what the hell was going on.

DeVi| D0do
If you know where to look there are some pretty amazng quality bootlegs around... Not that it's something I support...

In my opinion there is a lot more movie companies should be doing to combat this problem rather than just sitting on their arses whining about it.

shugie99

I totally agree with you Mild...and movie companies are doing some things (like setting up a legit downloading service) to try and combat it... but I think the main thing is education...it's illegal, is inherently bad for you and the economy at large, and a lot of the times, they've been able to link this bootlegging and downloading to criminal activity. None of this sounds appealing to me! smile

T.M

Agreed... I can't watch pirate movies.

WrathfulDwarf
I don't like to support piracy...but there are times you can't help it. Example, I'm a huge Spaghetti Western/Shaw Brother Kung fu movies fan. Most of the titles aren't even on DVD yet. No one knows when they will be released or even if they will be released at all. Everytime I go to convention I dig through the bootleg DVD copies. Occasionally I find some good stuff and a few gems...I know is a rip off...but heck! I want to own this movies. Original VHS copies are completely gone....I have NO choice.

BackFire
Same here.

I buy bootleg DVD's of movies that don't have an official release every year at the Comic con. I'll probably do the same this year, hopefully they'll have bootleg copies of the August Underground movies.

Wolfie
I agree. If the movie isn't available on DVD or OOP in some cases, that's where bootlegs are acceptable.

However, the bootlegs I only come across are the in-theaters DVDs sold on the streets of LA for $5 a piece. I've never bought them because if it's a movie I like, I'll get the real DVD when it comes out and if I haven't seen it yet, I'll rent it when the real one comes out.

I've watched a couple bootlegs. I couldn't get the full enjoyment out of the movies and wounded up thinking less of them while watching them.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by BackFire
Same here.

I buy bootleg DVD's of movies that don't have an official release every year at the Comic con. I'll probably do the same this year, hopefully they'll have bootleg copies of the August Underground movies.

Register soon! big grin

Hopefully I find a copy of Salo this year. Last year I was lucky to find a copy of Begotten. I'll be keeping an eye on AU and others.

johnny cash fan
i frown upon any bootleggers, directors put tears sweat and blood to make films, and bootleggers steal their efforts.

WrathfulDwarf
Believe me I get a guilty feeling for buying them...there is just no choice for me. Some are not even available in other regions.

forumcrew
people have to remember one thing, a lot of things downloaded would have never been bought if it wasnt available to download, meaning money isnt lost on every transaction.

Originally posted by johnny cash fan
i frown upon any bootleggers, directors put tears sweat and blood to make films, and bootleggers steal their efforts.

Most directors should care about people wanting to see their movie and actually seeing it. Its the studio that may lose out on d/ls not the director.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.