Best thing to happen to music

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PINBALL
Well I have already made a "worst thing to happen to music" so I am making a spinoff of that.......well.....Whats the best thing to happen to music.....

jaden101
the electric guitar

JacopeX
Turntables smile

better yet sound editing. better for remixes big grin

Mišt
Originally posted by jaden101
the electric guitar

I was going to say that, but then I thought "Hell no", so Im gonna go with the Numa Numa dance.

dodgy

Scorpion_Master
best thing is that music exist roll eyes (sarcastic) big grin

djBachus
samplers wink

or maybe the new usb turntables .

bakerboy
The beatles and John Lennon, dude.

jaden101
Originally posted by bakerboy
The beatles and John Lennon, dude.

i think you got your replies mixed up...

Alpha Centauri

Quite true actually. I don't agree with what I think you were aiming for, wholly, but I agree to a certain degree.

-AC

bakerboy

I dont know if you are tying to be funny or something, but you failed. Im very clear on what im posting , and that is the next thing: the beatles and john lennon are one of the best things in music history.

jaden101
I dont know if you are tying to be funny or something, but you failed. Im very clear on what im posting , and that is the next thing: the beatles and john lennon are one of the best things in music history.

well given that you admit you dont know what i meant then how can you assume whether i failed?

i'm sure you are very clear on what you're posting...but you're still wrong

i'm guessing you mean culturally the beatles have not been a good thing

i personally think that people who constantly hark back to the beatles (and many other older bands) will for the most part be doing their own music a disservice because cause they seem unable to get over that era of music

hence we keep getting repititions of music of all genres over the past few decades

i know you dont mind their music whereas i, on the other hand, think thats its over simplified and over rated in equal measure...the over simplified i wouldn't mind because many great pop and rock songs have simple music and lyrics...its just the fact that many people rate the beatles as brilliantly talented musicians...whereas i personally dont think they are

Bardock42
That's the most stupid thread I ever decided to reply in....feel honoured, thread.

Alpha Centauri
well given that you admit you dont know what i meant then how can you assume whether i failed?

i'm sure you are very clear on what you're posting...but you're still wrong

i'm guessing you mean culturally the beatles have not been a good thing

i personally think that people who constantly hark back to the beatles (and many other older bands) will for the most part be doing their own music a disservice because cause they seem unable to get over that era of music

hence we keep getting repititions of music of all genres over the past few decades

i know you dont mind their music whereas i, on the other hand, think thats its over simplified and over rated in equal measure...the over simplified i wouldn't mind because many great pop and rock songs have simple music and lyrics...its just the fact that many people rate the beatles as brilliantly talented musicians...whereas i personally dont think they are

I think they made some very good music, some great music even. That's it. I think all huge, influential bands have had a negative sort of knock-on effect.

The whole "So and so wouldn't even exist were it not for The Beatles/Zeppelin/The Who" and such. That's just demeaning and nobody can guarantee that sort of claim.

In certain bands it's noticeable, like Nirvana being heavily influenced by The Melvins, NIN/Ministry/Rammstein by the likes of Killing Joke, but it's a bit unfair to say they'd NOT exist.

-AC

PINBALL
I'd have to say Social Distortion.....

bakerboy
I think that the people rated the beatles so high are becasue their meaning and their talent. Plain and simple. You dont like it? great. But there are like 1000000 people that dont think like you.

Alpha Centauri
I think that the people rated the beatles so high are becasue their meaning and their talent. Plain and simple. You dont like it? great. But there are like 1000000 people that dont think like you.

So? High numbers of opinion. Nothing more.

As much as you'd like to believe so, The Beatles being so great and as influential as you'd love them to be, is just an opinion.

I can counter it with one phrase "I disagree."

-AC

Bardock42

Why did the taste of the masse decline so much since then though?

Because I can
Originally posted by Scorpion_Master
best thing is that music exist roll eyes (sarcastic) big grin

So true, so true...

jaden101

the beatles are rated highly because they were promoted well...

there are probably 1000000 people that haven't even heard of Jeff Buckley and he was infinitely more talented than all the beatles combined

infact i personally know musicians who have had no recognition and have far more musical talent than the beatles

Because I can
If anyones from australia....
tell ya wat i hate?
The people who dont deserve it, get australian of the year ( a lot of people who get nominated, sorry.) I hate it, cause there are sooo many Australians who are doing, not just australia, but the world good, and some person whos husband died, and she did some good work for the tsunami thing for 2 MONTHS! gets nominated. A lot of musicians dont JUST make music, they also do other things that help people out...
Sorry .. smile

Bardock42
Originally posted by Because I can
If anyones from australia....
tell ya wat i hate?
The people who dont deserve it, get australian of the year ( a lot of people who get nominated, sorry.) I hate it, cause there are sooo many Australians who are doing, not just australia, but the world good, and some person whos husband died, and she did some good work for the tsunami thing for 2 MONTHS! gets nominated. A lot of musicians dont JUST make music, they also do other things that help people out...
Sorry .. smile

I have no clue, whatsoever, what you were trying to tell us.

Alpha Centauri
I know a few people from Australia, there are an insane amount of very good bands from there right now, not really exposed though.

-AC

Darth Revan
It's funny, because at first I wanted to say Chuck Berry, but early rock 'n' roll was just a form of blues, so you'd have to go back to Robert Johnson, but delta blues was just a form of native African music. You can't say that anyone was the best thing to happen to music, because there's always somebody who came earlier and influenced them, all the way back to medieval Europe or Africa or wherever. It also depends on whether you're talking about colloquial/folk/popular music or "classical" music, and then which genre within each of those classifications.

Because I can
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I know a few people from Australia, there are an insane amount of very good bands from there right now, not really exposed though.

-AC

Theres HEAPS of good Aussie bands.. Kisschasy, British India, The Vines, ....... thats about as far as my brain goes.. theres more, but i cant think of it right now

Darth Jello
well, a lot of answers here-
The study and classification of harmony into the scale system along with the creation of notation by the catholic church.
The developement of atonal harmony
The debut of Igor Stravinsky's Rite of Spring in 1913, creating the counterculture.
the creation of the coil pickup
the invention of the humbucker
the Fender twin reverb and bassman amplifiers
the fender student and jazz series guitar lines (Musicmaster, duosonic, duosonic II, Mustang, Jaguar, Jazzmaster, V, and VI)
the beatles
the kinks
zepp,
dick dale and his del-tones
the ramones
the adolescents
nirvana
garbage
flipper
johnny cash
john cage
link wray's invention of the power chord and power octave
les claypool
sabbath
punk rock
gamelan
etc.

Darth Revan
Don't take this as a racist comment, but in an ironic kind of way, slavery did a lot for modern music by bringing the basic elements of blues into Western music. Rock and roll, unfortunately, would likely not exist except for slavery.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Don't take this as a racist comment, but in an ironic kind of way, slavery did a lot for modern music by bringing the basic elements of blues into Western music. Rock and roll, unfortunately, would likely not exist except for slavery.

This reminds me of something a comedian said once.

True though.

-AC

RedAlertv2
I would say the internet, except that in a way it has also been the worst thing to happen to music.

PINBALL
^True...

P, that Dude
Originally posted by Darth Revan
It's funny, because at first I wanted to say Chuck Berry, but early rock 'n' roll was just a form of blues, so you'd have to go back to Robert Johnson, but delta blues was just a form of native African music. You can't say that anyone was the best thing to happen to music, because there's always somebody who came earlier and influenced them, all the way back to medieval Europe or Africa or wherever. It also depends on whether you're talking about colloquial/folk/popular music or "classical" music, and then which genre within each of those classifications.

^F*ck it... let's go waaaay back

david and his harp!

BobbyD
Gosh, there's just soooo much. How can someone name just one thing?

PINBALL
^Then name more than one thing.....

Because I can
big grin

The use of the violin, when played above the bridge thing......... Hurts your ears as much as a piccolo's highest note. Pure Genius

papabeard
The invention of instruments.

Mišt
Originally posted by Because I can
Theres HEAPS of good Aussie bands.. Kisschasy,

Pfft..dude, they played with the Living End a few weeks ago, they SUCKED ASS. Maybe 20 or so people got excited over them. Theres no way you could say they are good when other bands like Living End and Wolfmother totally kick their ass.

papabeard
The Sleepy Jackson are quite a good band.

BobbyD
Keeping to just the genre of rock/pop....w/o trying to spin out of control and get on other tangets here (responding to Pinball's request to name something), there are "supposedly" 3 important events that happened to shape/mold the face of rock/pop music, that influenced it as we know it today. There was the economic influence of music to the GNP (Gross National Product) brought on by The King aka...Elvis Presley (though some credit should be given to Berry as well....poor dude is forgotten); the political/emotional influence brought on by Dylan (though I personally thinks he's boring and dry), and the enhancement/development of music itself brought on by the Beatles (though sadly, the Beach Boys are often overlooked).

Because I can

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.