gladiator poll

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire349
was it good or not.

Ushgarak
Do I detect a hint of mocking bias, there?

BackFire349
noooooooooooooo smile

LaurenE147
I protest against biased polls. They should be for the purpose of collecting information. Not meeting your sick ends.

BackFire349
i protest against people coming here without their sense of humor

Thomas H
gladiator is a fantastic movie!!

Bad Boy
Yes it is!

LaurenE147
Nobody around here can understand any sarcasm.

mah
that's sarcasm...right? stick out tongue

ToMacco
Gladiator was bad, sorry.

Ushgarak
Maybe it's just your attempts at sarcasm they have trouble with, Lauren...

Anyway, I thought it was worth watching, for Derek Jacobi getting the sets he always deserved if nothing else.

LaurenE147
You who feel that it was bad seem to be in the extreme minority

BackFire349
5-3 thats not extreme.

mah
I didn't like it at all

LaurenE147
I meant the minority of the world. Most people you meet will have liked it.

mah
the majority I know of found it to be nothing but some nice fighting scenes and the rest crappy.

Thomas H
almost everybody that i know though that Gladiator was fantastic!

greedo
Twas a great film...

greedo
Twas a great film indeed....

http://www.spielberg-dreamworks.com/gladiator/storyline/gladiator119a.jpg

"Brothers, what we do in life...echo's in eternity"

Thomas H
Strengt and honor!

LaurenE147
It gave me chills!

Thomas H
smile

BackFire349
hahahha, that quote is hilarious. i always make fun of that quote with my buddies.

Thomas H
now I am shocked, I did not even know that you had buddies! wink

Palanfirith
It was a good movie,but with "some" bugs.
Overall it was good.....

Fire
well I don't think the quotes are that bad, I kinda like em tho. tho who am I kidding I'm a huge russel crow fan and he plays maximus in a very good way

if u want an action movie u've got one, if u want a historic correct movie find a new one

it's a pure mind to zero hack and slash movie (hope most ppl here know what hack and slash means) but it has an awesome action scene being the opening scene it's the best and the quotes remain cool depending when u use them in D&D RPG they are amazingly cool

Thomas H
seemes like the biggest amout of the people like Gladiator!

Fire
lauren not to be annoyin' or anything but I'm quite sure the quote goes

"my name is maximus decimus meridius, commander of the armies of the north, general of the felix legions, loyal servant to the true emperor marcus aurelius, father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next"

Pinky
Gladiator rocks!

Thomas H
indeed!

jayride
Crow is an ass. Poor Meg sad
I hate that movie! Especially the last half hour! ARGH!!!
I'm gonna go watch it again.

Fire
weird dude, and crow's cool

greedo
Crowe is cool...Meg was way too old for him...now their movie together was a stinker and if you want 'Proof' just watch it. That whole 'fling' thing was just a publicity stunt to get people to buy tickets to a movie which should be buried...buried very deeply.

"Brothers, what we do in life echoes in eternity."

Fire
bwa dunno it wasn't that bad, I liked the idea, but goin' in like paracommando's and savin' the guy was a bit over the top

RZA
Saw this movie again today. What a great film. Fantastic acting job by Crowe. Rock was right, Crowe should do all the period pieces. You can see why he got an academy award for this. Phoenix did a great job in this as well. Great fictional story anchored by actual facts. I wish they made more movies about Rome. Ranks up their with Braveheart and Rob Roy as one of my all time favs. The one thing I can't figure out is why I seem to get emotional when I watch this film. confused

RZA
Originally posted by Fire
lauren not to be annoyin' or anything but I'm quite sure the quote goes

"my name is maximus decimus meridius, commander of the armies of the north, general of the felix legions, loyal servant to the true emperor marcus aurelius, father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next"

I luv that line. yes thumb up

I also like the one where Commodus screams in to Lucilla's ear and yells... 'Am I not merciful!!!' big grin I luv that.

RZA
Originally posted by Pinky
Gladiator rocks!

Damn str8 rock

BackFire
man, this movie was such a joke. Big time ripoff of Sparticus.

RZA
Hmm...lets see...lets compare shall we...

One is a historical account of a real character 'Spartacus' who was born a slave and raised to fight as a gladiator and later leads a slave revolt against Rome.

The other is based on a fictitious character 'Maximus' a Spaniard born in one of the outer provinces of Rome(Merida) who rises to fame and prosperity as a powerful Roman general only to become a slave and later forced to fight as a gladiator for the amusement of the mob as well as have his family slain and he himself left for dead following the death of his beloved Emperor Marcus Aurelius.

In other words the story of the General who became a slave, who became a Gladiator, who challenged the will of an emperor. In Commodus's own words 'striking story'.

Anyways, nope don't see any similarities there other than at one point both of them being Gladiators. Other than that, two completely different characters with two completely different storylines. I'm sorry but if this is the only reason you have for not liking this movie then frankly I'm afraid you're argument doesn't hold much weight at all and I believe you're robbing yourself from enjoying a very good film.

Lord Shadow Z
I didn't like it... too bloody tedious.

Wolfie
I like your poll, BF. smile

I could go through the rest of my life without seeing it again and I wouldn't be crushed. Boy was that a waste of time.

Lord_Andres
WTF? it was great! what you talking about bad movie? it aint bad Russel was VERY good, and the fight scences where also impressive! the whole story was just good, thu I would like to say one thing, and this is to all haters of the movies as well as lovers, go check out a movie called

The fall Of The Roman Empire

now thats the real deal!

WindDancer
It was okayish.....is not one of Riddley Scott best films (suscesful yes! His best? no!) I defenetly don't think it deserved the Oscar for best film (but then again the Oscars mean shit to me) The only thing I did like was because Riddley was directing and Oliver Reed was in it. Joaquin and Russell weren't that interesting at all.

As for Spartacus....well, we all know that Riddley was trying to make his own version of a gladiator movie. But nothing beats the Kubrick's work.

Soth
Was certainly worth my time, though it is definitely not the best movie ever

Soth
Originally posted by RZA
Anyways, nope don't see any similarities there other than at one point both of them being Gladiators. Other than that, two completely different characters with two completely different storylines. I'm sorry but if this is the only reason you have for not liking this movie then frankly I'm afraid you're argument doesn't hold much weight at all and I believe you're robbing yourself from enjoying a very good film. And the fact that they both led slave revolts. While Gladiator is a good movie, that doesn't mean that people's arguments to the contrary are worthless

RZA
Originally posted by Soth
And the fact that they both led slave revolts. While Gladiator is a good movie, that doesn't mean that people's arguments to the contrary are worthless

And when did I say that? When did I use that word? If you're gonna be smart enuff to quote me then at least try to be equally as smart when trying to interpret what I say. If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to answer them but in the future...Please refrain from putting words in my mouth or twisting what I say, that's not cool and I really don't appreciate it at all.

Btw, getting back to the actual topic. When did Maximus lead a slave revolt? This tells me that you're a little confused? I think you need to watch the movie again and pay better attention to it and next time please try to be more cognisant of what you say.

Soth
Originally posted by RZA
And when did I say that? When did I use that word? If you're gonna be smart enuff to quote me then at least try to be equally as smart when trying to interpret what I say. If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to answer them but in the future...Please refrain from putting words in my mouth or twisting what I say, that's not cool and I really don't appreciate it at all.Yeah, maybe I am putting words in your mouth. Or maybe I'm inferring things from what you actually said. In the former case, I must be a bastard. In the latter, I should be more considerate. The best part is-- I don't care!

Not exactly a revolt, per se, but he did lead the gladiator slaves to rise against the Roman guards so he could get free of his own slavery. Sounds like a bit revolt-esque to me, wouldn't you say? Anyhow...the next time you try to argue about a movie w/o specific examples from the movie to back up your own argument...don't.

RZA
Yeah, maybe I am putting words in your mouth. Or maybe I'm inferring things from what you actually said. In the former case, I must be a bastard. In the latter, I should be more considerate. The best part is-- I don't care!

Well, you should! I bet if I were a MOD you would!

Not exactly a revolt, per se, but he did lead the gladiator slaves to rise against the Roman guards so he could get free of his own slavery. Sounds like a bit revolt-esque to me, wouldn't you say?

Uhh....NO!..again it's pretty obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyhow...the next time you try to argue about a movie w/o specific examples from the movie to back up your own argument...don't.

Uhh...it sounds like you're giving yourself some good advice here, I hope you're smart enuff to take it.

Anyway, I'll let you get back to talking to yourself, I'm done.

Soth
You seem to be doing a lot of arguing instead of trying to further your point that actually started said argument. So obviously you either lost site of the point of this thing, or you're just fighting with me in a futile effort to boost your ego. In both cases, why am I still talking to you?

the point is, you aren't. and with your attitude, you never will be. plus, mods don't needlessly argue, and when they do have the occasional debate, they do it properly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.