I miss the slasher flick era

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KidRock
I miss the era of the Screams and I know what you did last summer.

These movies were great becuase you always had the thought in your head that it could possibly happen. It also gave you somethin good to talk about in school and the whole "what if it happened here" conversation with people. I wish they made a few more of these.

BackFire
Scream was the only good one.

deathbycorn
I liked Halloween H20 and Carrie 2: The Rage.

johnny cash fan
i was never much of a scream fan.

Zilverz
I like the Friday the 13th and Halloween franchises

the F13th 8 film set is nice to own

papabeard
This forum is wack nowadays.

MildPossession
Slasher movies are still coming out... just mostly straight to dvd. You have the third I Know What You Did Last Summer going straight to dvd, can't remember the actual title...

Comicbook_kid
There hasn't been a "real" slasher movie out in the last decade and a half....if you really want to see a "real" slasher film, watch "Maniac" or "Prowler" from the early eighties....or any of the classics from that era, and then get back to me....

You can keep your "Screams" and your "Last Summer" dung-pile flicks, give me "Sleepaway Camp" or "Halloween" anyday of the week....

Zilverz
Originally posted by Comicbook_kid
There hasn't been a "real" slasher movie out in the last decade and a half....

hmmm just throwing this out there .. what about High Tension ?

Philip_ll
Originality is key to good horror. No one wants to see the same style of killings over and over again. Nor do we need to see some dumb chick trip and fall while barely escaping some crazed looney. And we definately dont need a movie where a group of teens get murdered by some family of mental patients near a small town out in some forest. Last but not least..screw any movie that involves a ghost.

Comicbook_kid
Originally posted by Zilverz
hmmm just throwing this out there .. what about High Tension ?

I personally didn't like "High Tension"...I didn't go goo-goo gaa-gaa over it like a lot of other horror fans did...personally, I thought it kinda sucked...and the ending was just retarded. I thought there was a lot of plot holes in it, and a lot of stuff that just didn't make sense. I thought the storyline was stupid, and the director relied more on blood and gore effects to impress his audience, rather than a good storyline...

And it's far from being a slasher flick...When I think about "slasher" flicks, here are some that come to mind :

1. Maniac
2. Prowler
3. Halloween
4. Sleepaway Camp
5. The Hospital Massacre
6. Funeral Home
7. Final Exam
8. Madman
9. Terror Train
10. Graduation Day
11. New Year's Evil
12. Friday the 13th
13. Night School
14. Bay of Blood
15. Happy Birthday to Me

These are just a few of the "real" slasher flicks of the true golden age of horror...when horror was at it's best...today's horror is a bleak imitation of then, and doesn't come close to comparing...Personally, I don't put "High Tension" in the slasher genre!!!

Big Sexy
Dude
4. Sleepaway Camp
Thats too low budget even for me.

Zilverz
Originally posted by Comicbook_kid
I personally didn't like "High Tension"...I didn't go goo-goo gaa-gaa over it like a lot of other horror fans did...personally, I thought it kinda sucked...and the ending was just retarded. I thought there was a lot of plot holes in it, and a lot of stuff that just didn't make sense. I thought the storyline was stupid, and the director relied more on blood and gore effects to impress his audience, rather than a good storyline...

These are just a few of the "real" slasher flicks of the true golden age of horror...when horror was at it's best...today's horror is a bleak imitation of then, and doesn't come close to comparing...Personally, I don't put "High Tension" in the slasher genre!!!

Could you comment on how your slasher movies had so much better of a plot?

High Tension:
Woman has a psychological meltdown, so bad that even she has no idea what is going on. in order to pull this plot off you had to only provide the key to the puzzle at the very end as well as the climax

I guess we all have different tastes because i thuroughly enjoyed the plot and even though it is similar to recent films that have been applying a "twist" to the end i still felt it was unconventional and very refreshing

Philip_ll
Nor do we need to see some helpless dummy get killed by some evil creature using a tv screen to come through.

Christina_2006
I have to see those.

ThePrincessBee
Originally posted by Philip_ll
Originality is key to good horror. No one wants to see the same style of killings over and over again. Nor do we need to see some dumb chick trip and fall while barely escaping some crazed looney. And we definately dont need a movie where a group of teens get murdered by some family of mental patients near a small town out in some forest. Last but not least..screw any movie that involves a ghost.

I agree, those kind of movies do suck.

bitca730
I kinda grew up with the Screams, I Know, Urban Legends etc and without those & their WB castings, I'd have almost no interests in Halloween, Friday the 13, TCM, Elm Street, etc...bad movies maybe, but they entertained me & are pretty much the reason I love slasher movies over supernatural/psychological/ghostly pg-13 originally Japanese movies we've had as of late...but I fear I'm in the minority here...oh well, lol

Solo
Scream, Halloween, ANOES I/New Nightmare, they're all classic.

cropsy_is_god
Horror films are dying. There's either endless sequels or re-makes or stories that are very alike. The 80's slashers were well the best. One question would halloween be counted as a slasher as it's mostly just stalking with 4 deaths.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.