Hollywood's fascination with heroine addiction

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RZA

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Spun, Salton Sea, Requiem For A Dream, Trainspotting, Jesus' Son, and Finding Nemo are the ones that spring immediately to mind. Why? I guess because it's delicious and it makes you look really cool.

What are the ones you're thinking about?

RZA
Hmm...I knew I had already made a thread about this..Another topic that never quite caught on.

tabby999
i think it gets so much attention over other drugs because people see Heroin as the worst of the drugs. Some movies do a brilliant job making the people seem real and the problem as serious as it really is (Trainspotting for example) but some people seem to think it has a mysterious and kinda sexy appeal.

RZA
^ Yeah, you should check out 'Broken Vessels'.

Tho seriously, I could prob name like 50 more.

-Tired Hiker-
I think it's because the average movie watching demographic has never tried heroin, nor do they ever intend to do so. Heroin is taboo to most of us, it's something that's out of the question, at least to me.

You see, a lot of movie goers know that smoking weed is harmless, therefore there is no dramatic element to that. Cocaine can be dangerous, but for the most part it is really fun and too many people have tried it so they wouldn't be intrigued by it's use in a film. Heroin, however, has all the dramatic elements perfect for characters and subplots etc., because of it's mystery. Though I do agree, it is way over used, even in t.v. with LOST and stuff like that. erm

tabby999
as soon as they need a bad guy they just bring in the guy who's addicted to smack. or if they need to make the audience sympathetic they use a "recovering" smack head.

RZA
Originally posted by -Tired Hiker-
I think it's because the average movie watching demographic has never tried heroin, nor do they ever intend to do so. Heroin is taboo to most of us, it's something that's out of the question, at least to me.

You see, a lot of movie goers know that smoking weed is harmless, therefore there is no dramatic element to that. Cocaine can be dangerous, but for the most part it is really fun and too many people have tried it so they wouldn't be intrigued by it's use in a film. Heroin, however, has all the dramatic elements perfect for characters and subplots etc., because of it's mystery. Though I do agree, it is way over used, even in t.v. with LOST and stuff like that. erm

^ Yeah, that's a pretty logical explanation.

What get's me is why they feel the need to actually walk you through the steps of actually doing it. It's like a handbook on how to become a junkie or something.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Requiem For A Dream

definitely what comes to my mind first.. man was his arm F*cked up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.