Old or New. What do you prefer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lucid Lui
I've been going through my back issues, organising and what not since i'm moving soon. It's taking a lot longer than expected cause, well, i just end up sitting down and reading most of them. Great fun. Also reminds me of the days when i never kept up with current issues, i'd only hunt down back issues and reads TPBs. I can't decide what i like better.

So, do you prefer keeping up with current continuity and buying comics as they come out, or collecting back issues and TPBs and just reading through the old stuff?

Psyquis52
Old stuff. I like to try and collect all the things I couldn't get when I was a kid. Yeah, I really am that pathetic. The new stuff I buy in graphic novels when the urge hits me.

H. S. 6
I like 'em both. smile

Skeets
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I like 'em both. smile
Co-sign

HellMaster93
I can't get comics easily except I collect ALL the English CEs...

jumpmann
I can't take some of the old art so new for me.

HellMaster93
Yeah... newer art is generally better... I prefer the colouring...

Mindship
Generally speaking, IMO the old stuff had better thought-out stories, and Jack Kirby. New stuff has overall waayyy better art, more realistic story concerns...and experimental lines, like Ultimate Marvel, are kinda cool, if not always on the mark.

Makes me wonder: will Superman, Batman or Spiderman be at all relevant in 100 years? Will the spandex costume still suspend disbelief? How and into what will the superhero evolve, in the real world, as a marketable, appealling and inspiring figure?

HellMaster93
Even in the comics Batman doesnt actually wear spandex...

KFelidae
Older stuff.

I grew up reading nothing but the Silver Age backissues that my family had, so I really do prefer the older stuff. Gimmie a few Invaders issues and some milk and cookies and I'll be happy for a long time. big grin

Nataku8188
I like to read anything that is a complete story. Nothing peeves me more than having to wait a year to find out how a story ends.

Validus
Depends on the company. For Marvel, it's all about the Lee/Kirby days. The Marvel universe was a tightly knit place back then.

For DC, I enjoy new stuff a lot more. They did a great job creating new characters in the mid to late 90's like Cassandra Cain, Tim Drake, Kyle Rayner, Bart Allen and maybe an even better job bringing existing characters into their own such as Wally West, Nightwing and Guy Gardner.

ScarletSpider
Depends on what mood I'm in. It's easier, generally, to look at the new stuff. Silver age had some great artists, but the technology used to ink, color and print is far superior today and compliments the artwork a lot better. If you were to take Kirby's stuff, or Adams, Trimpe, Ditko, Romita, whomever, and put it through the modern process, it would probably look amazing.

Older stories can be a lot of fun, in many books they had more of an "anything goes" attitude, which can be good or bad. Nowadays, no one would ever think to give Spider-Man a living alien costume, that would just be a stupid story, but they did awhile ago, and we've gotten some great stories out of it. Cap used to travel to alternate dimensions, etc. etc. but his solo book is a bit more tame in those fantastic regards today, for better or worse, depends on your view.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.