I want to know...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spideys Sister
For my own reasons..

1) Is it a sin to commit suicide?

I read in the bible that a man commited suicide and was sent to hell even though he followed God.

2)WTF is up with the commandments?

In the bible every other guy has 50 something mistresses and like 3 wives. Ex :King David, King Saul, Joesphs father... When the commandments say not to commit adultery.

3)What are your veiws on that if you go to catholic school and you're not catholic the the teachers there FORCE you to learn Catholic teachings.

(Going from experiance I personally hate #3.)

debbiejo
Originally posted by Spideys Sister
For my own reasons..

I read in the bible that a man commited suicide and was sent to hell even though he followed God.

In the bible every other guy has 50 something mistresses and like 3 wives. Ex :King David, King Saul, Joesphs father... When the commandments say not to commit adultery.

3)What are your veiws on that if you go to catholic school and you're not catholic the the teachers there FORCE you to learn Catholic teachings.

1. According to the catholic and protestant church , Thou shall not commit murder
2. Yeah, people don't keep the 4th and say they follow gods word
3. It's called indoctrination and conditioning.

Lord Urizen
For my own reasons..

Unsure. I heard it was. But it's NEVER a good thing if that's what you mean.

I know that's hilarious.

If you are taking a religion class, then yes, for your grade you should learn what they are teaching.

However, if they insist that you BELEIVE in it, and you refuse, and then then they try to FORCE you to beleive it, then they are wrong.

debbiejo
The OT and NT contradict, which is why many churches today are called New Testament churches.........Otherwise, what's wrong with having Mistresses?............And yes, I believe suicide is not a good thing..

Lord Urizen
The problem of commiting adultery is not universally a religious issue.

it is a matter of hurting the person who loves you, hurting the person who you have been committed to.

debbiejo
It's a belief system, look at the Mormons....

Alliance
I don;t know if suicide is a sin in many religions...I doubt it is looked kindly upon. If nothing else, its a sin to yourself. Its disrespectful of your value as a human being.

2. Religion is hypocritical.

3. Since the Catholic school is private, and you "choose" to enroll there, They can make you do whatever they want. Its not right, but its legal.

Shakyamunison
1. I believe in reincarnation, so if I committed suicide, I would end up right back here having to deal with the same old problems.

2. IMO hurting people is the big sin, so having sex with mutable partners, as long as no one gets hurt, is ok.

3. If they give you a better education and you can stand it, just smile and be glad they cannot read your mind.

Alliance
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
3. If they give you a better education and you can stand it, just smile and be glad they cannot read your mind.

laughing

debbiejo
Yeah, but if they could......hmmmmmmm.....

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by debbiejo
The OT and NT contradict, which is why many churches today are called New Testament churches.........Otherwise, what's wrong with having Mistresses?............And yes, I believe suicide is not a good thing.. The OT contridicts itself on numerous ocasions.Originally posted by debbiejo
1. According to the catholic and protestant church , Thou shall not commit murder
2. Yeah, people don't keep the 4th and say they follow gods word
3. It's called indoctrination and conditioning. Not just the 4th it's basicly all of them.

I just want to know because my school is basicly forcing Catholic teachings down our throats. I was wondering if it's allowed or what. The whole suicide thing I heard from a nun in the first grade and it's been on my mind. But other than that... you guys basicly answered my questions. Except the whole suicide thing.

Shakyamunison
...Except the whole suicide thing.

Why do you think no one answered that? confused

debbiejo
Well taking a life, even your own is a waste....though I don't believe it's a sin..........But if shaky is right, you'll have to live your tragic life all over again, until you learn your lesson.........soooo better suck it up now....

Alliance
You don't need religion to know suicide is not a good option on any front.

lil bitchiness
For my own reasons..

As far as any religion goes, suicide has bad conotations and associations. Its a sin in every religion, on some form of the other, especially those which follow 'sole creator'.

There are contradictions in the bible. From begining till the end.

Why are you in a catholic school if you're not catholic, then b!tch how you have to learn about their doctorine? You ARE in catholic school, and if you don't wanna know about Catholisism, go to a secular public school.
Simple.

If you were in Islamic school then youd have to learn all about Islam. Its pretty logical.

Mindship

1. No. Suicide is an act of desperation and despair. It doesn't need to be embelished as "sin."
2. The commandments likely offer sound guidelines for a compassionate and productive society. Too bad they are often abused or ignored.
3. I wouldn't like it. Forcing doctrine, regardless of context, is generally not how you nurture on open, fair and curious mind.

Alliance
No one like having docrine forced on them, but you go to a Catholic school. A PRIVATE institution. You should expect this and you can't do anything about it.

lil bitchiness
Why should you be even considering doing anything about it? Coming into a Catholic school is a concious decision - i dont understand this ''they are forcing me to learn about their religion, but I made a concous decision to attend religious school'' (???)

What happened to ''respect other people's religion''?

Or does that only applies to Muslims and Jews - Christians are ok to disrespect cos everyones few on religion here is grossly ethnocentric?

GCG
We had this Indian kid at school who was forced to adopt a christian name in order to be eligible for learning. Thing is he was forced by his parents to go to the best school rather that join a state school.

Alliance
Originally posted by GCG
We had this Indian kid at school who was forced to adopt a christian name in order to be eligible for learning.

THIS is why hummanity is failing.

debbiejo
Catholic schools start from kindergarten and up......It could be the parents that are having a person go to that kind of school....Just like Baptist schools........

Spideys Sister
Why do you think no one answered that? confused Mixed answers some yes, most I don't know. Catholic religion today in schools just push the whole "Do not commit suicide or you go to hell because thou shall not kill even thou self." Which I think is completely gay and stupid. It makes no sense. So now the commandment are all strict and stuff in school. If you step on and ant you go to hell, if you talk about god in a questionable manner you go to hell. It's all BS and then on top of it I can't say anything because I could get kicked out of school.

debbiejo
This would be a good thing right?.....being kicked out of school?

~dorkerina~
If you have a problem with Catholicism at catholic school, don't go there. there are no public schools that are catholic, so (if not forced by your parents in which case I say too bad) just don't go to that private school, find a public one. If your not willing to do that, it's too darn bad. Nobody has the right to tell a private school that they can't teach religion.

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by ~dorkerina~
If you have a problem with Catholicism at catholic school, don't go there. there are no public schools that are catholic, so (if not forced by your parents in which case I say too bad) just don't go to that private school, find a public one. If your not willing to do that, it's too darn bad. Nobody has the right to tell a private school that they can't teach religion. The point of me going to catholic school is my mom wants me to actually learn something. Not sit and class and play my PSP like everyone else. Trust me, I like not having a religion and having catholicism forced on me than telling my mom I don't have a religion and getting the crap beaten out of me because I know the answer to a problem.Originally posted by debbiejo
This would be a good thing right?.....being kicked out of school? Not for the 5,000 a year my mom pays to send me here. But on another note yes It'd be great to be a high school drop out. I seriously don't mind that. Too much.

Alliance
The point of me going to catholic school is my mom wants me to actually learn something. Not sit and class and play my PSP like everyone else.

I went to public school, i still do. I don't know where you are, but that never happened where I am. Some of the smartest people I knoe went to public schools.

Dubya went to a private school, it didn't help him. If it did....well, stop the genes right there...oh wait.

The religious antagonization might actually be impeding your ability to learn effectively.

I also consider myself highly educated and intelligent.

Shakyamunison
Mixed answers some yes, most I don't know. Catholic religion today in schools just push the whole "Do not commit suicide or you go to hell because thou shall not kill even thou self." Which I think is completely gay and stupid. It makes no sense. So now the commandment are all strict and stuff in school. If you step on and ant you go to hell, if you talk about god in a questionable manner you go to hell. It's all BS and then on top of it I can't say anything because I could get kicked out of school.

I understand... Consider this time in your life as training for some unknown future event. I've gone through hell in my life, but now that I'm past that, I find the experience to be a strength that allows me to help other people.

debbiejo
And look what it did to you....... roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

Also........want to drive your mom nuts Spidys Sister?.........Buy some Protestant books and start reading them, along with some pagan beliefs...... cool

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by Alliance
I went to public school, i still do. I don't know where you are, but that never happened where I am. Some of the smartest people I knoe went to public schools.

Dubya went to a private school, it didn't help him. If it did....well, stop the genes right there...oh wait.

The religious antagonization might actually be impeding your ability to learn effectively.

I also consider myself highly educated and intelligent. NYC. THE most crapassed public schools in america. smile Try catholic school. Then post about how "similar " they are. Besides I was using a metaphor. no wait, similie. Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I understand... Consider this time in your life as training for some unknown future event. I've gone through hell in my life, but now that I'm past that, I find the experience to be a strength that allows me to help other people. Define "hell". If it includes having your father leave you to start a new family in florida and rub it in your nose, then have both your grandmothers die within 3 months of each other and have your dog die that same year.... I know where you're comming from. That's why I chose to go on with my life with small snipets of different religions insted of one that forces itself to be one of the most wide spread. Next to the Muslums.

Shakyamunison
... Define "hell". If it includes having your father leave you to start a new family in florida and rub it in your nose, then have both your grandmothers die within 3 months of each other and have your dog die that same year.... I know where you're comming from. That's why I chose to go on with my life with small snipets of different religions insted of one that forces itself to be one of the most wide spread. Next to the Muslums.

Yes, that would qualify as hell. It is difficult to go through it, I know. I have no family, both of my parents and my oldest brother are dead. The other brother and sister; I don't talk to them. My sister is a nut and my brother terned his back on me when I became a Buddhist. A good Christian he is. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alliance
NYC.
Chicago. I think my point still stands.
Also........want to drive your mom nuts Spidys Sister?.........Buy some Protestant books and start reading them, along with some pagan beliefs...... cool
Just don't get beaten/sent to therapy.
That's why I chose to go on with my life with small snipets of different religions insted of one that forces itself to be one of the most wide spread.
Most religions do so...its part of their nature.
My sister is a nut and my brother terned his back on me when I became a Buddhist. A good Christian he is. roll eyes (sarcastic)
A problem that I find as well.

Dawson
We live in a very twisted world.

debbiejo
But we created it...........We are part of the creative process........

Alliance
um...we ARE the createive process

debbiejo
um...we ARE the createive process Yes we are.......but we're not alone cool

Alliance
mad YOURE ALONE laughing

debbiejo
mad YOURE ALONE laughing No no no........Quantum physics says we're not........There's something else... mad laughing out loud

Alliance
no, i dont think it does.

debbiejo
What do you know, you're only a biologist..... roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

Alliance
I CAN read ya know...string theory is nothing short of amazing work, especialyl if the minimal supersymmetric model gets adopted.

peejayd
For my own reasons..

"Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord."
Leviticus 19:28

* if cuttings and print marks are prohibited, much more is committing a suicide... wink

* there is really are contradictions in the Bible because some statements are said by God and some by the devil, for example...

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die ."
Genesis 2:17

* as said by God to Adam...

"And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die :"
Genesis 3:4

* as said by Satan to Eve...

* now, regarding the commandment of adultery, King David clearly committed a sin, and he (David) acknowledges it and asked God for forgiveness...

"And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said unto David, The Lord also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die."
II Samuel 12:13

"I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah."
Psalms 32:5

* any kind of teaching dealt by force is plain wrong, the guys are right, you should switch to a public school were your religious belief will be respected... wink

debbiejo
I CAN read ya know...string theory is nothing short of amazing work, especialyl if the minimal supersymmetric model gets adopted. And String Theory suggests some intelligence at play... stick out tongue

Also spidys sister.......want to drive your mom more nuts???.......buy a pentacle and lots of candles........walk around and mumble poems.....she'll think they're incantations........ evil face LOL

I am such a bad influence

Spideys Sister
My mom is nuts by mistake anyway. I'm just trying to figure out why the bible is such a "strong influence" when it constantly contridicts itself. I have the read the bible every ***ing day when I basicly know well... the basics. : God made the world then man, man sinned, God flooded the earth... so on and so forth. I don't know why the continue to force kids that have been going to catholic school their whole lives to force feed themselves the books. I think the religion clasess should be for public schools only.

PJ, you have a bible by your computer don't you?

debbiejo
Either that, or it's a brain implant..... whistle

Alliance
laughing I go with the latter.
And String Theory suggests some intelligence at play... stick out tongue
No it doesn't. I presents mathematics we cant yet understand. I believe Strign theory/quantum mech is proof agaisnt "Intelligent Design" Where did you pull that "intelligence" from?

debbiejo
Well, well...god told me.......lol

happy

It really seems too....There have been multiple studies, that seem to point to an intelligence behind the scenes

Alliance
Well, well...god told me.......lol

happy

It really seems too....There have been multiple studies, that seem to point to an intelligence behind the scenes
None that I have read.

I think your point is no expression

Which ones?

peejayd
My mom is nuts by mistake anyway. I'm just trying to figure out why the bible is such a "strong influence" when it constantly contridicts itself. I have the read the bible every ***ing day when I basicly know well... the basics. : God made the world then man, man sinned, God flooded the earth... so on and so forth. I don't know why the continue to force kids that have been going to catholic school their whole lives to force feed themselves the books. I think the religion clasess should be for public schools only.

* giving advice for people to read the Bible is not bad... but forcing people to their belief, customs and practices is wrong... every person has a freedom, may be it freedom of speech, or of religion... wink

* in my opinion, religion classes should be optional... and not mandatory... wink

PJ, you have a bible by your computer don't you?

* yes... even online, you can try this for instance... http://www.blueletterbible.org/

laughing I go with the latter.

* very funny... laughing

Alliance
no expression

debbiejo
your point is no expression

Which ones? My point is don't be closed minded to the sciences that are discovering..............

BTW.........not the god of the bible........just intelligence.

Alliance
I know...I feel uneasy about this "intelligence"

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by peejayd
* in my opinion, religion classes should be optional... and not mandatory... wink I say they should be for public schools cause at least there will be diff types of classes.. for buddists and muslums... but yeah they should be optinal.

debbiejo
I know...I feel uneasy about this "intelligence" Well you shouldn't......You're part of it...... big grin

Kritish
Christians consider it murder, I guess getting a tattoo is assault.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Kritish
Christians consider it murder, I guess getting a tattoo is assault.

laughing

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by Kritish
Christians consider it murder, I guess getting a tattoo is assault. laughing

debbiejo
Tattoos are a sin.....It really is....... blink

Kritish
laughing

Anybody that commits suicide just because they think there life sucks is weak. But if they're really in physical pain or are terminal it doesn't bother me.

Alliance
Well you shouldn't......You're part of it...... big grin
Allegedly.

And Kritish perhaps you are being vaguely unsympathetic?

debbiejo
Can't throw the bathwater out with the baby, just because the water got dirty..... wink

Alliance
What? laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.