Dr. Hank MCcoy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Icicle
I'm waching X2 and the scene in the bar with Mystique giving the guard some metal, there is a tv and on the TV there was a guy talking and underneath it said he was Dr. Hank MCcoy. but he wasn't blue nor did he have fur!

Was that a movie mistake?

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Icicle
I'm waching X2 and the scene in the bar with Mystique giving the guard some metal, there is a tv and on the TV there was a guy talking and underneath it said he was Dr. Hank MCcoy. but he wasn't blue nor did he have fur!

Was that a movie mistake?

It was a Bryan Singer mistake. But...Hank McCoy didn't always have fur nor was he blue.

According to X3 though Beast used to be on the X-Men long ago and had an outfit made for his bulk, so it's still a mistake in X2.

mYsTiquE_DuDe
He wasn't with fur because he hadn't take the Cure then..it was out of question..

LanceWindu
Originally posted by mYsTiquE_DuDe
He wasn't with fur because he hadn't take the Cure then..it was out of question..

The Dr. McCoy seen in X2 was not anywhere near a Beast form (with or without fur). It was a mistake.

roughrider
We don't everything of what Hank was doing in the X-Men movie universe. He could have had his secondary mutation from the time that interview happened, to where he is at the beginning of X3.
And if the character there isn't played by Kelsey Grammar - so what? We've had three different actresses playing Kitty Pryde, and two playing Pyro. I'm not hung up over some background players.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by roughrider
We don't everything of what Hank was doing in the X-Men movie universe. He could have had his secondary mutation from the time that interview happened, to where he is at the beginning of X3.
And if the character there isn't played by Kelsey Grammar - so what? We've had three different actresses playing Kitty Pryde, and two playing Pyro. I'm not hung up over some background players.

*points back to my first post in this thread*

Read it...like I said in X3 we learn that Beast used to be on the X-Men and had a uniform made to fit his Beast size. roll eyes (sarcastic)

H. S. 6
Originally posted by LanceWindu
*points back to my first post in this thread*

Read it...like I said in X3 we learn that Beast used to be on the X-Men and had a uniform made to fit his Beast size. roll eyes (sarcastic)

But do we know how much time had taken place in between the films?

LanceWindu
Originally posted by H. S. 6
But do we know how much time had taken place in between the films?

Between X2 and X3? A year at most.

H. S. 6
Between X2 and X3? A year at most.

So I suppose there might've been enough time for Beast to go through his secondary mutation (whatever the hell makes him blue), join the X-Men, and then maybe have to give it up because of the political role he obtained.

Or, if what you're saying is true, and it's simply a mistake, wouldn't it be Ratner's mistake?

LanceWindu
So I suppose there might've been enough time for Beast to go through his secondary mutation (whatever the hell makes him blue), join the X-Men, and then maybe have to give it up because of the political role he obtained.

Or, if what you're saying is true, and it's simply a mistake, wouldn't it be Ratner's mistake?

Very doubtful. Not when in the movie he makes mention of how the suit used to fit him...as he's gotten older it's a little tight.

It's a mistake between both Ratner and Singer. I'm sure Singer was going to have him in X3 anyways...

H. S. 6
Very doubtful. Not when in the movie he makes mention of how the suit used to fit him...as he's gotten older it's a little tight.

It's a mistake between both Ratner and Singer. I'm sure Singer was going to have him in X3 anyways...

True, true.

I don't think we can assume Singer was going to include Beast in X3 (unless, of course, he had said he was going to). At least he knew how to keep the number of mutants in the movie down to an agreeable amount. erm

systemshock2
I found this neat little bit of trivia on the matter. I hope this helps give an idea as to what Bryan Singer might've had in mind when it came to Beast.

--------------------------------------------------

Source: IMDB

Initially, during the "Dark Cerebro" scene where it is attempting to kill all mutants, Bryan Singer had planned to show not only Cerebro's effects on the mutants in the Alkali Base, but mutants all over the world. During this scene, Hank McCoy, aka Beast (Steve Bacic), as seen earlier on the television during the bar scene, was to be shown in agony, transforming into his furry form, and fan-favorite Gambit was to be shown at a card game having his energy powers flare up. This scene was actually shot, using one of Hugh Jackman's stunt men, James Bamford as a stand-in for the role, shot from behind to remain ambiguous. For whatever reason, Singer decided to cut this sequence altogether and it remains unseen

H. S. 6
Originally posted by systemshock2

Initially, during the "Dark Cerebro" scene where it is attempting to kill all mutants, Bryan Singer had planned to show not only Cerebro's effects on the mutants in the Alkali Base, but mutants all over the world. During this scene, Hank McCoy, aka Beast (Steve Bacic), as seen earlier on the television during the bar scene, was to be shown in agony, transforming into his furry form, and fan-favorite Gambit was to be shown at a card game having his energy powers flare up. This scene was actually shot, using one of Hugh Jackman's stunt men, James Bamford as a stand-in for the role, shot from behind to remain ambiguous. For whatever reason, Singer decided to cut this sequence altogether and it remains unseen

So, if this can be trusted, it's a Ratner mistake, through and through.

LanceWindu
So, if this can be trusted, it's a Ratner mistake, through and through.

They filmed the Gambit scene, not the one of Beast...and since it was not in the film it's non-canon. It's still a join mistake.

H. S. 6
They filmed the Gambit scene, not the one of Beast...and since it was not in the film it's non-canon. It's still a join mistake.

But aren't you assuming that Singer would have included Beast in the next one, with blue fur and all, and then not explain it?

Ratner's the one who had the Beast who had once been an X-Man years earlier. He should've known that Hank McCoy had already appeared in the X-Men films, without his blue fur, so as to avoid including him and making the mistake of not explaining how he got there/how he got his blue fur...

Unless I'm confused...

LanceWindu
But aren't you assuming that Singer would have included Beast in the next one, with blue fur and all, and then not explain it?

Ratner's the one who had the Beast who had once been an X-Man years earlier. He should've known that Hank McCoy had already appeared in the X-Men films, without his blue fur, so as to avoid including him and making the mistake of not explaining how he got there/how he got his blue fur...

Unless I'm confused...

I didn't say that, now did I? I always assumed that we would see Hank McCoy at the start of X3 and then he would become the Beast we all know and love. Which is how I assume Singer would have done it as well.

H. S. 6
I didn't say that, now did I? I always assumed that we would see Hank McCoy at the start of X3 and then he would become the Beast we all know and love. Which is how I assume Singer would have done it as well.

No, I'm not saying you did; I'm trying to understand why you think including the Beast in X3 and saying that he had already been an X-Man (even though we had already seen Hank McCoy, furless, in X2) is, at all, Singer's mistake. Wouldn't that be entirely Ratner's fault?

LanceWindu
No, I'm not saying you did; I'm trying to understand why you think including the Beast in X3 and saying that he had already been an X-Man (even though we had already seen Hank McCoy, furless, in X2) is, at all, Singer's mistake. Wouldn't that be entirely Ratner's fault?

Because viewing it as a trilogy now, Hank McCoy is now a main character. It's Singer's fault for wanting to throw a useless cameo in and not having the character even look remotely close to his mutant form. His hands and feet are supposed to be huge even without the fur.

H. S. 6
Because viewing it as a trilogy now, Hank McCoy is now a main character. It's Singer's fault for wanting to throw a useless cameo in and not having the character even look remotely close to his mutant form. His hands and feet are supposed to be huge even without the fur.

Aah, I thought you were saying it was Singer's mistake that Ratner didn't explain Beast correctly.

I guess the cameo can be called Singer's mistake, then, if you want a movie that's just like the comics.

LanceWindu
Aah, I thought you were saying it was Singer's mistake that Ratner didn't explain Beast correctly.

I guess the cameo can be called Singer's mistake, then, if you want a movie that's just like the comics.

I am one of the fans that doesn't want the films to be just like the comics, but if you're going to nod to them...you should do it properly. stick out tongue

InnerRise
It was a Bryan Singer mistake. But...Hank McCoy didn't always have fur nor was he blue.

According to X3 though Beast used to be on the X-Men long ago and had an outfit made for his bulk, so it's still a mistake in X2. Oh ok. That scene kind of confused me when he said how the jacket use to fit him. Because as far as I was concerned this was his first time really joining the X-Men in the movies.

But since he supposedly was with the X-Men before which wasn't including in the previous movies I see now, but I don't see why it was done that way. Adds to the confusion.

is it comprehensible.....

systemshock2
To even further add to the confusion, I remember reading somewhere, and it was almost a year ago so I'll never be able to find the source, that in the beginning scene of Charles and Xavier driving up to Jean's home, the driver was going to be no less than the blue-furred Beast. And as the child Jean uses her powers to lift up the cars, including the one Beast remains in, this is where he would've uttered "Oh my stars and garters" or something like that lol.

Imagine if that scene would've been shot and left in. Now that really would've thrown more confusion concerning the human named Dr. Hank McCoy that appears in X2, because as we all know the beginning scene of X3 takes place 20 years ago, and Beast is in all of his blue and furry glory.

roughrider
Even if you call this a mistake - how is it Ratner's? The script was wriiten well before he came on, there was a director previous to him ( Matthew Vaughn), and Singer was involved in the pre-production until he left in 2004 to take on Superman.
Just because we don't actually see Hank's secondary mutation happen, doesn't make it a mistake. We see plenty of other vital things for screentime.

Here's one question - do you think he was hired as the President's Advisor on Mutant Affairs, before or after his second mutation? I think they may have trusted him more as a fairly normal-looking human, then as a blue-furred beast. Though they stuck with him...

systemshock2
Originally posted by roughrider

Here's one question - do you think he was hired as the President's Advisor on Mutant Affairs, before or after his second mutation? I think they may have trusted him more as a fairly normal-looking human, then as a blue-furred beast. Though they stuck with him...

I get the notion that he was hired as the blue-furred beast. I kept thinking that when it came to this movie's president, what better way to get into the mindset of the mutant phenomena than to have a prominent and distinguished mutant as your top advisor in that department.

Icicle
I found this neat little bit of trivia on the matter. I hope this helps give an idea as to what Bryan Singer might've had in mind when it came to Beast.

--------------------------------------------------

Darn, that would have made a fantastic scene!!
I thought Hank had always been blue and furry, I don't know much about him.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Icicle
Darn, that would have made a fantastic scene!!
I thought Hank had always been blue and furry, I don't know much about him.

Learn more. no expression

Silverstein
I get the notion that he was hired as the blue-furred beast. I kept thinking that when it came to this movie's president, what better way to get into the mindset of the mutant phenomena than to have a prominent and distinguished mutant as your top advisor in that department.

well since X3's president is a different person than X2's, and X2's president nearly got killed by nightcrawler...a blue dude. Reallistically, would they hire another blue dude? it would create civil unrest, and confusion amongst u.s. citizens. "why did they hire someone that tried to kill the president?" People would need someone to blame and there happens to be another blue dude... confused (i dunno just a thought)

systemshock2
Originally posted by Silverstein
well since X3's president is a different person than X2's, and X2's president nearly got killed by nightcrawler...a blue dude. Reallistically, would they hire another blue dude? it would create civil unrest, and confusion amongst u.s. citizens. "why did they hire someone that tried to kill the president?" People would need someone to blame and there happens to be another blue dude... confused (i dunno just a thought)

Interesting point. I wonder if Beast was hired during the term of the president in X2, or the President in X3's term? Either way, maybe it was a way for either administration to show to the mutant population how they'll start accepting mutants by hiring this blue mutant (Beast), even if a previous blue mutant (Nightcrawler) tried to kill the previous president. Also, maybe the past president, after reading the files Charles gave him in X2, realized that Nightcrawler was under the influence of Strykers drugs when he tried to kill him and went from there.

LanceWindu
Interesting point. I wonder if Beast was hired during the term of the president in X2, or the President in X3's term? Either way, maybe it was a way for either administration to show to the mutant population how they'll start accepting mutants by hiring this blue mutant (Beast), even if a previous blue mutant (Nightcrawler) tried to kill the previous president. Also, maybe the past president, after reading the files Charles gave him in X2, realized that Nightcrawler was under the influence of Strykers drugs when he tried to kill him and went from there.

I would think during the X2 president's term.

mYsTiquE_DuDe

The Dr. McCoy seen in X2 was not anywhere near a Beast form (with or without fur). It was a mistake.

that's what i'm talkin 'bout.

Silverstein
oh wait didnt beast say he was doing this mutant affairs stuff before wolverine had claws? that must mean he was hired a while ago?

systemshock2
oh wait didnt beast say he was doing this mutant affairs stuff before wolverine had claws? that must mean he was hired a while ago?

Kind of. I think I remember him mentioning that he "..was fighting for mutant rights long before you had claws". I'm thinking that he was probably referring to being with Xavier at the school at the time, that he was fighting for mutant rights in that way. Just a thought.

LanceWindu

He was fighting for mutant rights for a long time, but was not a member of the government until recently.

Silverstein
Kind of. I think I remember him mentioning that he "..was fighting for mutant rights long before you had claws". I'm thinking that he was probably referring to being with Xavier at the school at the time, that he was fighting for mutant rights in that way. Just a thought.

yeah what you and lancewindu said makes sense

ashrac
Sorry to bring this back up...

From Marvel.com character bios
"Hank discovered the hormonal extract that causes genetic mutation... In order to disguise his appearance, Hank took the extract and underwent radical physical changes that enhanced his agility and strength, as well as causing him to grow fangs, pointed ears, and fur all over his body."

this happened while he was a student and therefore means that he hadn't yet achieved his PHD to be called a doctor.

Darth Jello
Hank's first appearance in the movie continuity was actually in the Magneto prequel. He was the first X-Man and in that story was actually human. I'm guessing that he grew fur and claws gradually and that in X2 he was using some kind of Magneto or Xavier designed image inducer. That would be my explanation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.