Anyone still play D&D?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MJOILNIR
Just curious. Having a lot of trouble finding players around here nowa days. Back when I first started in basic edition there were plenty. Stayed that way thru 1st and part of 2nd edition. Now that 3rds out most players have quite sad

ESB - 1138
Umm this place is for role playing not discussing about RPGs.

MJOILNIR
My bad. Guess I got the wrong place.

KMC Dark Lord
Yep big grin

Go to the video game forum part and post this.

Trickster
Actually, you can post here.

D&D ain't a video game, so it would seem this is the most rational place to post. I seem to remember a thread open on Runescape a while back. As for D&D - I never really got into it in the first place. It did seem to drag on, though. I expect the rise of the computer and computer games had quite a lot to do with the loss of D&D players.

Azure
I like Dragonlance...does that count?

MJOILNIR
Yea, I always liked dragonlance saga. More of a forgotten realms fan though.

Aliies
I love neverwinter nights and I think it was called dragonshard or something... I used to play alot of the Original board game... had a lvl. 32 gnome illusionist at one point and a 29 half-elven sorcerer/thief that was one hell of a character!

Ushgarak
D&D is still the most popular RP there is, as far as I know. I am a first edition vet as well, but in general it is not my favourite game, and 3rd edition is halfway towards being a tabletop fighting game rather than an RP- that is the direction the rules tend to go, anyway.

Fire
Ush is right about his comment on 3rd edition. Never the less I still love dungeons and dragons. It was the first RPG I played and I still like it. If you play it like it is intended you end up with a hack and slash game. However you can also play it differently.

Before anyone screams out: "There are other games far better qualified for that" Yes that is true, Dnd certainly isn't the best game (neither is the d20 system) but it is (in its present form) easy to master and play. If you don't want to wing anything it's abundance of rules for every possible situation is useful.

I still find that with a few house rules and a few tweaks it's a great game. You can put everything into a well made DnD campaign.
The only thing I really detest about DnD are the (IMO) TERRIBLE campaigns, stories and worlds they bring out.

Aliies
they'[re always stereo-typical... little villagers here and there, the bands of orcs and pirates that pop up around the place and people live in fear of... We always made up our own campaigns and I was always the cartographer, for some reason everyone said I was an excellent map-maker though I made some bad decisions in the role-plays... always fell for boobytraps and the gelatonous cube thing got me a few times!

Fire
hehe, I don't mind the stereotypes that hard, I mind the fact that magic items are every where in those settings

Lady Dragoness
hey i play dungons and dragons

Lady Dragoness
Third edition is easyer that 1st or second though they changed all the spells

KingDubya
I still have the first edition books and I can never keep enough money to buy any thrid edition ones. I also have the Complete Warrior, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, and Unearthed Arcana books, so it's very confusing when they reference to a page out of the third edition books.

Fire
dude why by 3.5 expansion books when u don't even have 3th rule books

MJOILNIR
Glad to see people are still playing and interested. Ive still got my 1ts edition stuff to. Heck I got a basic box set still. I dont care much for the direction 3rd edition has taken the game but with a good DM it still ok.

Fire
DM is everything, as with every game

Aliies
Originally posted by Fire
hehe, I don't mind the stereotypes that hard, I mind the fact that magic items are every where in those settings

Magical items were always made rare and xpensive when I played, made for A great storyline as you learn to appreciate the value of each and every one...

jollyjim311
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I play D&D. My brother, my cousins, and I. My brother is a great DM and comes up with some of the best plot twists and NPC's. I really like the Faerun setting, because it has such specific areas that are resemblant to the ancient middle east or Japan, or Africa, but once your characters start to get powerful and the DM tries to bring in world-threatning issues, it's difficult. You have characters that are known because the setting is so specific and you wonder why they can't just deal with the "real problems", so to speak.

KingDubya
dude why by 3.5 expansion books when u don't even have 3th rule books
'Cause I can. stick out tongue

Seriously, it's because I thought some of the starting and prestige classes within them were interesting (I especially liked the Black Flame Zealot).

Fire
he's k but there are cooler ones

KingDubya
I also liked the Hexblade. And the Kensai. And the Temple Raider of Olidammara was pretty good for my Cleric/Rogue characters.

Tshern
I play D&D. Actually, I just got home from a role playing session and it was a lot of fan. At the moment we have three characters of level nine, one psionic, one paladin and mine Shugenja/Sorcerer/Mystical thaumaturgist. The story hasn't revealed the inner depths yet, but I'm waiting for it.

KingDubya
I haven't gotten involved in any real campaigns yet. I've only done one session things, then we just seem to forget about it. I'm planning to start up my own, though, sometime in the next 2 months. I just have no idea what I should use for the story...

Tshern
If you hold the campaign via internet and need an extra player, then I can join in. As a piece of advice, don't let people pick classes you know nothing about. I also support the idea of restricting powerbuilding. What has it to do with roleplaying anyway? Just do a monk and give him the vow of poverty and you have an imbalancing character...

Fire
Originally posted by Tshern
I play D&D. Actually, I just got home from a role playing session and it was a lot of fan. At the moment we have three characters of level nine, one psionic, one paladin and mine Shugenja/Sorcerer/Mystical thaumaturgist. The story hasn't revealed the inner depths yet, but I'm waiting for it.
lvl nine paladin, without prestige class?? weird

Fire
If you hold the campaign via internet and need an extra player, then I can join in. As a piece of advice, don't let people pick classes you know nothing about. I also support the idea of restricting powerbuilding. What has it to do with roleplaying anyway? Just do a monk and give him the vow of poverty and you have an imbalancing character...

the monk with the vow of poverty is indeed extremely powerful, I just rule it way stricter than the book says, so far noone tried it.

And indeed, don't let ppl pick classes u know nothing about, that's why I don't allow psionics, too lazy to read the book. My players can build whatever else they like tho, I just want to hear a very decent story about it.

Fire
Originally posted by KingDubya
I haven't gotten involved in any real campaigns yet. I've only done one session things, then we just seem to forget about it. I'm planning to start up my own, though, sometime in the next 2 months. I just have no idea what I should use for the story...

Start by creating the world, or get to know a premade one really well. After that the plot will come to you in time.

Tshern
the monk with the vow of poverty is indeed extremely powerful, I just rule it way stricter than the book says, so far noone tried it.

And indeed, don't let ppl pick classes u know nothing about, that's why I don't allow psionics, too lazy to read the book. My players can build whatever else they like tho, I just want to hear a very decent story about it.

Making it stricker than the books says is actually a pretty good idea. I'll remember that if someone tries it on my game. I'm not too experienced with the game anyway, so I outrule quite many classes, mostly psionics, which seem imbalancing.

Tshern
Mwhahahaha! I created the most incredible build today with my friend, can't wait to use it.

Azure
Mwhahahaha! I created the most incredible build today with my friend, can't wait to use it. clapyay! (yeah, I know it was kinda random) I always knew about D&D, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it....but I want to!!

BloodyAngel
D&D is awesome, I just got into it last year, and finally got to join another group this year after my last group kinda left me behind. (it was a group of all guys and apparently they didnt like a girl in the group, unfortunately my husband, then fiance, didn't get to join in anymore either).

Fire
that kinda sucks, but good to see you found another group

Fire
for anyone who wants to have a laugh (DnD Related) one adress: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.