Great White Shark vs Killer Whale

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jabba the Hutt
I watched a vido today in bio about a crazy-ass killer whale. Could a KW take a GWS?

AOR
GWS=4 to 5 m

KW= 9.5 m

clearly the KW....

Agent Krueger
GWS.

AOR
Originally posted by Agent Krueger
GWS.

Your kidding me right?

Agent Krueger
Originally posted by AOR
Your kidding me right?

*ish typing with one hand*

No. Size don't matter. GWS is clearly more dangerous. 1 bite is all it takes to take down KW. No one survives a Full bite od GWS.

DarkC
The whale needs to surface to breathe. The shark doesn't.

Therefore, the shark can simply fight with the whale and block its attempts to surface, until the whale starts to weaken.

Agent Krueger
Originally posted by DarkC
The whale needs to surface to breathe. The shark doesn't.

Therefore, the shark can simply fight with the whale and block its attempts to surface, until the whale starts to weaken.

I see smart people yes

Jabba the Hutt
I looked it up on google.
Killer Whale owns.
http://www.cnn.com/EARTH/9710/08/whale.vs.shark/

Leo.M
The killer whale. Our biology teacher should us a video tape where a fully grown white shark gets taken apart by Mother killer whale protecting her young. He got owned yes

Agent Krueger
Originally posted by Jabba the Hutt
I looked it up on google.
Killer Whale owns.
http://www.cnn.com/EARTH/9710/08/whale.vs.shark/

Thats just ONE video.

Leo.M
Thats just ONE video.

I see dumb people yes

AOR
Originally posted by Leo.M
The killer whale. Our biology teacher should us a video tape where a fully grown white shark gets taken apart by Mother killer whale protecting her young. He got owned yes

This one?

http://www.extremescience.com/orcavshark.htm

However I will give you the benefit of the doubt and call it a draw...

DarkC
If I were the shark then I'd hold the orca off until they have to breathe, then retreat and chomp down on their tail (what's the kPa for a shark bite again? messed) and hang on for dear life.

Leo.M
AOR: I think that's it laughing

Agent Krueger
Nvm. GWS and KW falls in love, have sex, and creates The Great Killer Shale!

DarkC
Originally posted by AOR
This one?

However I will give you the benefit of the doubt and call it a draw...

Apparently the orca was the aggressor. Might be a different story if the shark had attacked first.

Agent Krueger
Nvm. GWS and KW falls in love, have sex, and creates The Great Killer Shale!

AOR
If I were the shark then I'd hold the orca off until they have to breathe, then retreat and chomp down on their tail (what's the kPa for a shark bite again? messed) and hang on for dear life.

Sadly sharks aren't that intelligent but would rather leave their prey to bleed. (kPa?)

AOR
Apparently the orca was the aggressor. Might be a different story if the shark had attacked first.

Circumstance...

Wow, if only all other debates were quickly dealt like this yes...wait no, we'd get bored too quickly ermm...thank God for stubborn people smokin'

DarkC
Originally posted by AOR
Sadly sharks aren't that intelligent but would rather leave their prey to bleed. (kPa?)
Kilopascals. Pressure.

AOR
Kilopascals. Pressure.

No idea, but if it helps; a bite can tear up to 30lbs. of flesh...

DarkC
That's more like the size of the jaw. stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Great Whites aren't ones to continue an attack unless they know they can kill and eat their prey. I don't know where this idea came from that they're not intelligent.

They're one of Earth's oldest killing machine without the need for evolution, must be doing something right. A killer whale could conversely suffer a Great White bite and survive.

How do I know this? Because humans survive shark attacks, Killer Whales are more durable.

-AC

AOR
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Great Whites aren't ones to continue an attack unless they know they can kill and eat their prey. I don't know where this idea came from that they're not intelligent.

They're one of Earth's oldest killing machine without the need for evolution, must be doing something right. A killer whale could conversely suffer a Great White bite and survive.

How do I know this? Because humans survive shark attacks, Killer Whales are more durable.

-AC

So...who would win?

Alpha Centauri
Of course the answer is clearly Chuck Norris.

-AC

AOR
Of course the answer is clearly Chuck Norris.

-AC

I'm biting down really hard, and laughing at the same time....should have seen that coming...

Soleran
Killer Whales not only eat other whales but Great White Sharks and any other shark they want to eat as well.

Jigsaw13
I say the Orca whale

Jabba the Hutt
http://www.extremescience.com/images/teeth.jpg=Loser
http://aurora.ekof.bg.ac.yu/~djuricin/shamu.jpg=Winner

Alpha Centauri
The above picture does sort of make me want to change my vote, haha.

Ok well, if we're saying that they both were to fight to the death, I'll go with the Great White.

-AC

DarkC

-AC
Humans survive attacks because the shark goes: "WTF! You're not a seal/dolphin/other normal prey. Go F*ck yourself."

Figuratively speaking.

Shark then grumpily goes for other better tasting prey, leaving human in pain and bleeding profusely.

Alpha Centauri
And Killer Whales are normal prey for a Great White?

They're smart animals, they know there's no point chasing down and making a dire effort to kill a whale when they can grab some seals easily.

Despite their power and ferocity, they are predatory poachers. The only attack with steath or attack the injured/distressed.

-AC

DarkC
That's pretty clear in the link that AOR provided; it was the orca mom who apparently chose to attack a great white when it clearly attempted to avoid her. If a great white ever had the proverbial balls to attack an orca first, it'd at least do a fair amount of damage. Too bad that'll probably never happen.

Alpha Centauri
I love ocean swimming so I'll thank Mother Nature that she didn't go too far and make it a psychopath, haha.

-AC

DarkC
Oh, yeah. Kudos to that.

I don't think people would be too keen on swimming at the beach if they suspected that sharks with Megalodon-edged aggression existed.

Alpha Centauri
That's why Megalodon is extinct, don't get it twisted.

Mother Nature looked at the ocean one day and thought "Wait...f*cking wait, I went a bit too far there."

-AC

DarkC
No kidding. Bred to kill.

Makes me wonder how they died out. I found them interesting after I read the novel Meg: Primal Waters.

Neat book, has everything I want in a basic novel. Action, a bit of sex, more action, blood and gore, dynamic characters and their development. Death of major characters.

Alpha Centauri
They died out because they simply didn't have enough of a sustainable, substantial food source, much like many of the dinosaurs really. Mainly due to the depth at which it swam. It couldn't survive in shallower waters and didn't come up to the surface to hunt, so when it more or less devoured it's food source in the depths, they died out and it died with them.

It was without equal during it's time though.

......yes, I know my marine biology. Why? We don't know.

-AC

DiamondBullets
The killer whale would destroy!

A mammal (a cetacean no less) has brain far superior to that of any fish. True that like crocodiles, sharks saw the dinosaurs come and go, and therefore it's physique evolved little--neither did its brain.

I believe that the shark has a more devastating bite (about 600 pounds) than the mammal, coupled with its serrated teeth--but the shark would still lose

DiamondBullets
Mother Nature looked at the ocean one day and thought "Wait...f*cking wait, I went a bit too far there."

You sound like Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park. laughing

rickyduck
*ish typing with one hand*

No. Size don't matter. GWS is clearly more dangerous. 1 bite is all it takes to take down KW. No one survives a Full bite od GWS.
Blue whales do, and T-Rexs, and Godzillas

ThePrincessBee
um..killer whales are cuter than sharks. whistle

Dawson
My vote goes to the Orca.

Although sharks are not stupid (they can be trained, and have a fairly good memory), I do not believe that they are smart enough to block a dolphin's path to the surface. Orcas, however, have been known to do so to their larger cetacean prey such as gray whales. Orcas have been known to eat Great Whites; that video is simply the only video recorded incident.

As far as size goes, a male Orca can reach about 9.5 m (31 feet), with the largest recorded animal being about 9.7 m (32 feet). Females can reach 8.5 m (28 feet). Great Whites, on the other hand, can reach around 6 m (20 feet).

Philip_ll
Killer whales are in fact not even whales, they are just very huge dolphins. Look it up people. geek

Dawson
Originally posted by Dawson
I do not believe that they are smart enough to block a dolphin's path to the surface.

The Orca is the largest member of the oceanic dolphin family, Delphinidae. The name "Killer Whale" is thought to have evolved from a mistranslation of the Spanish name meaning "Whale Killer".

Philip_ll
Originally posted by Dawson
The Orca is the largest member of the oceanic dolphin family, Delphinidae. The name "Killer Whale" is thought to have evolved from a mistranslation of the Spanish name meaning "Whale Killer".

Exactly, thankyou very smile

Alpha Centauri
True, Orcas are extremely smart and in reality it would be them. That's how they hunt shoels of fish. Forcing them by almost herding them with accurate tactics and ambush techniques.

Yet if you unleashed them both at each other with full fury, I wouldn't ever count out a Great White.

-AC

ILoveMyDaniel
Originally posted by Jabba the Hutt
I watched a vido today in bio about a crazy-ass killer whale. Could a KW take a GWS?
Ever seen Orca? Though it was a movie it's pretty clear that a Killer Whale would knock the shit out of a great white. I love great white sharks though...sad

Dawson
True, Orcas are extremely smart and in reality it would be them. That's how they hunt shoels of fish. Forcing them by almost herding them with accurate tactics and ambush techniques.

Yet if you unleashed them both at each other with full fury, I wouldn't ever count out a Great White.

-AC

Nor would I. With its life on the line, I'm certain that a Great White would put up one hell of a fight, and I would not count one out either. If bets were being placed, however, I would place mine on the Orca.

Pandemoniac
The great white has a chance if it attacked the orca first. It is faster and has a more powerful bite, and if it sees to strike near the base of the orca's skull it could make the kill.
But by purely comparing both of the animal's statistics, the killer whale is clearly the most powerful, dangerous and durable of them.
The orca is used to dealing with larger prey, unlike the great white. This combined with it's greater intelligence will make the orca attack more efficiently in this duel.
The orca has a thick layer of fat beneath it's skin, making it hard for even a great white to inflict serious damage to vital organs in a single bite. While the shark's organs are rather accessible for the orca's jaws, one bite to the side offs the shark.
On top of that, the orca is powerful enough to literally break the shark in two if it shook it around after biting in to it.
Then something about teeth; the shark bites, twists and saws of a chunk of flesh and by that releases the rest of the animal. This grants the orca a chance to retaliate, while the bite of a orca is something the shark can't release itself from. With a hold on the shark, the orca can do with it what it wants.
And don't bother about the orca's need for oxygen, it can do without a breath (while hunting) for a long time, way long enough to own some shark.
Unless the shark intendedly aims to kill the killer whale by surprise, the killer whale will win the fight.

newjak86
In the water when dealing with two big powerful animals like this it normally comes down to who attacks first.

On the discovery channel I watched a group of researchers come upon a GWS eating the carcass of a KW. The problem is they did not know if it had killed it or if the KW had died from some other reason.

A fully grown GWS can actually get to 25 feet and higher but those sharks have been practically hunted down to nothing. They are given the name of Submarine because they were so big.

GWS are generally more dangerous because they can stay under water they do not need to surface, have a more powerful bite, and are faster. These mean that one can not count out the GWS to soon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.