the da vinci code "profanity or not

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lugia's_Trainer
vote please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alliance
Define profanity...

Jonathan Mark
Originally posted by Lugia's_Trainer
You know... one "!" is more than enough to get you're feelings across.

grey fox
Not profanity , just stupidity. The dumbass author places a small 'All the events in this book are true' disclaimer at the front and suddenly Everyone is making a huge fuss.

Jesus christ in a napkin basket when will the tools give it a break.....

The Da Vinci Code is a LIE it is fictional in it's entirety . All it takes is a decent imagination (although thats debatable considering how many people 'claim' to have come up with the idea) and a few hours on wikipedia. BAM. You have yourself a book which garners negative criticism from the religious community , which (while no one aside from themselves gives a damn) causes attention.

debbiejo
Are you talking about the movie or the book?.....I've only read the book....I didn't see it as profanity....It's a fictional story with some facts thrown in....It is sold as fiction or historical fiction.

DigiMark007
Nah, the author doesn't say it's the truth. He's the first to admit certain aspects are fabricated.

People just need to realize it's fiction. Every movie insults someone ...but apparently only the religious groups are allowed to get upset about it. They really need to get over themselves and be above that sort of pointless squabbling.

Storm
The Da Vinci Code is not a history or research book. It is a novel and should be treated as such. As Dan Brown states on his website; the documents, rituals, organization, artwork, and architecture in the novel all exist. These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters. Each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. A reader does not have to agree with every word in the novel to use the book as a positive catalyst for introspection and exploration of our faith.
A religion which cannot be questioned or reconsidered is not a religion which merits devotion.

overlord
So it was strange for someone to not be married around Jesus age in those times. Maybe Jesus was married to a hooker and even had sex with her. Jesus was just a man and he's nice like that to save the soul of a prostitute.
Sounds like pure logic to me, nothing profanity about it.

But that movie is retarded, I don't want to see a Tom Hanks movie ever again after that retard movie he did with the "I like chocolates" line.

debbiejo
Well according to some views, Mary wasn't a prostitute, but was made so by the Roman Church. Mary seems to be a popular name in the NT for sure. Magdalene I've heard was a place where "Mary" was from, or a form of it. Magdala

Atlantis001
I agree. Making Magdalene a prostitute is just a way created by the church to hide her importance in the scriptures. Thats why her Gospel was made an apocrypha, probably it gave a too different interpretation that was not interesting for the church.

Storm

Eis
Originally posted by Lugia's_Trainer
I don't think there are enough choices. no expression

Anyway, I agree with Storm. DVC is reviewed as if it were a history book. Although it is pretty stupid of Dan Brown to claim that it's a fact that Newton, Da Vinci, etc. were members of the Priory of Sion (Specially since that claim is based on Les Dossiers Secrets) the book is none the less, fiction.

Storm
According to Dan Brown himself, the "fact" page makes no statement whatsoever about any of the ancient theories discussed by fictional characters. Interpreting those ideas is left to the reader.

Eis
Well it says "...(Priory of Sion) is a real organization. In 1975 Paris's Bibliotheque Nationale discovered parchments known as Les Dossiers Secrets, identifying numerous members of the Priory of Sion, including Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo and Leonardo Da Vinci."

It's a fact the documents are false, that shouldn't even be there, or at least Dan Brown should aknowledge the fact the documents are not real.

Darth Revan

overlord
Originally posted by Eis
I don't think there are enough choices. no expression

Anyway, I agree with Storm. DVC is reviewed as if it were a history book. Although it is pretty stupid of Dan Brown to claim that it's a fact that Newton, Da Vinci, etc. were members of the Priory of Sion (Specially since that claim is based on Les Dossiers Secrets) the book is none the less, fiction. Dan Brown is a moron.
All those Bernini mystery, delta deception, juvenalis dillema are all the same stuff. Secret codes and people claiming to be computers everywhere.
Even Tom Hanks is a computer these days.

the kid
I'm only 13 but i have read the da vinci code and angels and demons but what i think is interesting is if you look at the last supper it does resemble a womans face and body more than john the baptist. i didn't believe it at first until after i read it a bunch of my friends started to say that their pastor told them that the davinci code was a satanic non-christian book. and if this book was considered a fiction why did the church attempt to cover the book up? it will make you think. and another thing if the priory of sion is in-fact a real group than if this wasn't true than what would be their purpose? and what of the relationship in the words made from sangreal? san greal meaning holy
grail and sang real meaning royal blood. i may be 13 but i believe that the church is afraid of this book.

Alliance
The church is afraid of free speech and free thought in general. They ahvesuppresed it throught history, they will continue to do so.

The book is FICTION, but it does raise some interesting points. Imo, especially in the relationship between the church and women.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Alliance
The church is afraid of free speech and free thought in general. They ahvesuppresed it throught history, they will continue to do so.

The book is FICTION, but it does raise some interesting points. Imo, especially in the relationship between the church and women. Yep, yep.........the church really is the evil, though many have never read about the manipulations of it for power, and YES, it had/has a large role in the suppression of women. Even today how they make them dress and don't the not speaking in church, or for god sakes have a view on anything important!!

No wonder I'm a heretic.

Flammable Fun
Originally posted by grey fox
Not profanity , just stupidity. The dumbass author places a small 'All the events in this book are true' disclaimer at the front and suddenly Everyone is making a huge fuss.

The Da Vinci Code is a LIE it is fictional in it's entirety . All it takes is a decent imagination (although thats debatable considering how many people 'claim' to have come up with the idea) and a few hours on wikipedia. BAM. You have yourself a book which garners negative criticism from the religious community , which (while no one aside from themselves gives a damn) causes attention.

Read it again. It does not say "Everything in this book is real", it says "All descriptions of art, architecture, spiritual rituals, and documents in this book are acurate." If what you said was true, it would say something along the lines of "Everything in this book, including the characters, events, storyline, and dialogue are accurate."

Seriously. People who whine about the book are making an ass of themselves; if you don't like it, put down the book and read something else. It's that simple...

grey fox
Originally posted by Flammable Fun
Read it again. It does not say "Everything in this book is real", it says "All descriptions of art, architecture, spiritual rituals, and documents in this book are acurate." If what you said was true, it would say something along the lines of "Everything in this book, including the characters, events, storyline, and dialogue are accurate."

Seriously. People who whine about the book are making an ass of themselves; if you don't like it, put down the book and read something else. It's that simple...

I made a slight error . Boo hoo .

The point is still their. People accept a large chunk of it as fact when it is fiction. Sure some of it may be based on reality. But if People are going to accept anything that has religion in it as fact then I might as well write out a new bible for the world....

Alliance
Well...relgious texts themselves....ummm...

they're already fiction?

debbiejo
yes, copied from other texts from earlier beliefs........

Alliance
and originally just made up to fill the gaps science couldn't at the time.

debbiejo
Or to make them fit.

Alliance
I think originally, the main goal was explination and comfort in a lonely large world.

debbiejo
Yes, they didn't understand..............just didn't and tried to make since of all around them.....and that's where pagansim came from,....In the beginning.

Alliance
and hence where all religion came from

debbiejo
And now politics.......... sad sad

sithsaber408
Originally posted by grey fox

The Da Vinci Code is a LIE it is fictional in it's entirety . All it takes is a decent imagination (although thats debatable considering how many people 'claim' to have come up with the idea) and a few hours on wikipedia. BAM. You have yourself a book which garners negative criticism from the religious community , which (while no one aside from themselves gives a damn) causes attention. Originally posted by DigiMark007
Nah, the author doesn't say it's the truth. He's the first to admit certain aspects are fabricated.

People just need to realize it's fiction. Every movie insults someone ...but apparently only the religious groups are allowed to get upset about it. They really need to get over themselves and be above that sort of pointless squabbling. Originally posted by Storm
The Da Vinci Code is not a history or research book. It is a novel and should be treated as such. As Dan Brown states on his website; the documents, rituals, organization, artwork, and architecture in the novel all exist. These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters. Each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. A reader does not have to agree with every word in the novel to use the book as a positive catalyst for introspection and exploration of our faith.
A religion which cannot be questioned or reconsidered is not a religion which merits devotion.

I'm not a Catholic, nor am I part of or proposing any sort of boycott of the book or film.

But I won't choose to read/see it; I don't want to support that guy (Dan Brown) talking about my King that way, fiction or no.

I wonder.....

What if I made a movie about each of your fathers?

Let's assume that they are all 3 good men, hard workers who provided for their families, and were funny, with good hearts.

I think I'll add in a few fun fictious things of my own, and say that they were severe alcoholics, and that they slept around with lots of women.

No harm in it, its just a little fiction right?

Alliance
Originally posted by sithsaber408
I'm not a Catholic, nor am I part of or proposing any sort of boycott of the book or film.

But I won't choose to read/see it; I don't want to support that guy (Dan Brown) talking about my King that way, fiction or no.

I wonder.....

What if I made a movie about each of your fathers?

Let's assume that they are all 3 good men, hard workers who provided for their families, and were funny, with good hearts.

I think I'll add in a few fun fictious things of my own, and say that they were severe alcoholics, and that they slept around with lots of women.

No harm in it, its just a little fiction right?
The thing is, you're considering that your interprtation of Christian history is correct. Thats a false claim. You dont know if its correct.

Dan Borwns interpretation of events could be correct, there is nothing to disprove it. THe fact that the catholic church (which holds all the old artifacts etc) is so dang secretive/sect like anyway just adds power to Dan Browns book. Its very easy to breed consipiracy theories with the Vatican.

There is a difference between lible, which is what you did in your story, and historical speculation in the absence of fact.

maham
I havn't read the book, but I'v heard that it's pretty vulgar so...I wud say,Yes! I wud like 2 watch the movie though.

Alliance
The book would be better than the movie imo. (from what I've heard)

Shakyamunison
The book would be better than the movie imo. (from what I've heard)

I liked the movie, but I have not read the book.

Alliance
I've read to book and not seen the movie.

debbiejo
Me too...........will wait until it comes out on tape.

Couldn't put that damn book down though, must of read it in about 3 days...........and I'm not a fiction reader either........

Alliance
Its one of the most mediocre books i've ever read. The style was so bland.

debbiejo
But the intrigue..........the intrigue.............got to solve those puzzles......haha

Though I really never read fiction.......

Alliance
how not?

Shakyamunison
how not?

Off topic. stick out tongue

spencerspider
The Da Vinci is Code is retarded. He says it is true when the whole thing is crap. I didnt go see the mvie cuz that is just an attack on the Bible. Jesus never did that stuff. He is God! and He was a perfect being.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by spencerspider
The Da Vinci is Code is retarded. He says it is true when the whole thing is crap. I didnt go see the mvie cuz that is just an attack on the Bible. Jesus never did that stuff. He is God! and He was a perfect being.

Don't criticise something you have not seen. That makes you sound like a hypocrite. I have seen the movie and it is not offencive, unless you are an extremist. The movie made a point to find balance. When the argument was put forth it was countered my another character. It is just a movie.

Jonathan Mark
I'm Christian... and I couldn't give a jack shit about the Da Vinci Code... my mom gets all freaked out about it and I'm like "Mom it's just a freaking movie who cares?"

Alliance

1. You've never seen it and are therfore clerly not qualified to judge it.

2. The Bible is not the only historical source reverencing Jesus, others, Like the ones Dan Brown and others have used, are more credible and say different things then the Bible.

3. You dont know what Jesus did, your bible doesnt even cover large protions of his childhood and adolesence. Even if it did, its not a biography, its not a autobiography.

4. You have no proof Jesus is god.

5. You have no proof he was perfect.

debbiejo
The Da Vinci is Code is retarded. He says it is true when the whole thing is crap. I didnt go see the mvie cuz that is just an attack on the Bible. Jesus never did that stuff. He is God! and He was a perfect being. Of course you wouldn't......but if you looked deeper into your beliefs you would see many possibilities..........yes.

And as I've also asked before, what would the problem with Jesus having a child????????

the Bible says he was to experience all it was to be a man and this would be one of those experiences.

Alliance
Its the smae think with Catholic priests or Oprah....

If you're not married and have kids, how can you sit there and tell everyone how easy it is etc.

debbiejo
Sooooooooo what's the problem with a man, who is called Jesus and god" having children?..........ya know why? because it would be too much associated with the myth gods, paganism...........can't have that now can we.

Alliance
no...because it would expose how dang hypocritical we are.

Shakyamunison
no...because it would expose how dang hypocritical we are.

It would mean that sex is not a sin. eek!

Alliance
it would mean a lot of very good things for a lot of people.

debbiejo
I believe in creation, or the creative process, and why would it end ???? it is still going on...........and we are part of it, yet many don't understand that we are part of the whole process..............so what you want to create, you will, either intentionally or not........still the process is going on.

Alliance
Originally posted by debbiejo
I believe in creation, or the creative process, and why would it end ???? it is still going on...........and we are part of it, yet many don't understand that we are part of the whole process..............so what you want to create, you will, either intentionally or not........still the process is going on.
is this referenceing sex?

debbiejo
Could be............the creative process doesn't quit does it........hmmm?

Alliance
on an individual basis yes, but as a species/living existance....no.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.