The magnet COULDN'T of made the plane crash:

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rickyduck
1: If the magnet is so powerful to pull a plane out of a sky, it would've complete crippled all the hatches on the island

2: Planes are made out of aluminium, except maybe some tools and the engines, but the engines were still running when the plane crashed, they would've just torn of if so.

3: The plane wouldn't of split, it would've just gone straight into the hatch, unless the magnet stopped just before it hit the island, but still, it wouldnt of split.

Also, in 'The Pearl' orientation it sais (when edited) 'Once you have finished your three weeks, make your way to the Pabla.....'

This is the pabla ferry bay (were Micheal left from). Another point is the 4 toed Statue, this shows people were on the Island before Dharma and the Others, as there was a 4 toed god in greek mythology... etc.

1 more thing is the anomly message that came up on the portugese' pc... same prompt as the Swan/Pearl... but.. wasn't using an Apple II, various background things show different OS', like Linux, Unix, Mac and Windows, and then the prompt apple II, and I think some MS-Dos, although their computer appears to be windows... so maybe its a mixture of different OS'..

Flying High
it's a TV show smile not real life...

rickyduck
Yea, but the shows to technical to include a huge flaw like that (the plane crashing when aluminum). The rest are just points

ladygrim
Originally posted by Flying High

rickyduck
cry Everyone hates me

Flying High
it's probably just a mistake or something they thoight people would just skim over and not care much about it...

it makes for in ainteresting story...

Quincy Archer

It's a show that is possible in reality.

Magnets don't attract aluminum - therefore I side with you rickyduck. Saying that it's only a t.v show doesn't prove Rickyduck wrong, it just kinda weakens ur arguement.

rickyduck
Originally posted by Quincy Archer

Magnets don't attract aluminum - therefore I side with you rickyduck. Saying that it's only a t.v show doesn't prove Rickyduck wrong, it just kinda weakens ur arguement.
thats true, and a major point why it wasnt something they did by accident is when sayid sais 'good job this is aluminium, almost no Magnetic attracction'... only the biggest magnet in the world could pull aluminium towards it, and only slightly.

choosewisely
Originally posted by rickyduck
wasn't using an Apple II, various background things show different OS', like Linux, Unix, Mac and Windows, and then the prompt apple II, and I think some MS-Dos, although their computer appears to be windows... so maybe its a mixture of different OS'..

it's all fake you know?

rickyduck
Originally posted by choosewisely
it's all fake you know?

Whats all fake? If the shows fake, why pay for something like that when they can just get a simple windows operating system?Or mac?

forumcrew
Originally posted by Quincy Archer

yea when a show is based on the real world, they should make it accurate.

Darth Vicious
It wasnt the magnet. When the guy was with Desmont he explain that everytime the numbers are punched and energy(built up energy) gets released, when Desmond didnt punched the numbers the first time the built up of energy was too much that when he did punched the number the energy released was so much that it hit the plane and made it crash.

rickyduck
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
It wasnt the magnet. When the guy was with Desmont he explain that everytime the numbers are punched and energy(built up energy) gets released, when Desmond didnt punched the numbers the first time the built up of energy was too much that when he did punched the number the energy released was so much that it hit the plane and made it crash.

But we know it was a magnet as its been implied by many of the characters many times, and it attracted everything metal to it when the heiroglyphics came up.

Darth Vicious
It attracted everything inside the hatch. For the magnet to have crashed the plane it needed to be a huge magnet to reach the plane's altitude, It was a magnet not a freaking tracktor beam.

forumcrew
the point is, if it was strong enough to pull the plane down, it would have collapsed the hatch on its self

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by forumcrew
the point is, if it was strong enough to pull the plane down, it would have collapsed the hatch on its self

Exactly....If it could pull down a plane from 35,000 ft. in minutes, why wouldn't the hatch be destroyed before that?

rickyduck
Thats what I said at first no expression I mean, desmond would've been killed, and the plane would've just crumpled in on top of the losties.

steverules
The island is a mystery. Mayve the plane crashing is just one of those mysterious things

rickyduck
Originally posted by steverules
The island is a mystery. Mayve the plane crashing is just one of those mysterious things

I agree

Flying High
maybe...just maybe...its not really a magnet...its not like the losties are magnet experts...

rickyduck
It is, it attracted metal no expression

Flying High
meh...who cares..its a TV show...

rickyduck
meh...who cares..its a TV show...
but it loves me cry

Flying High
atleast some one does.

jk stick out tongue

SlickRick69
it's not magentism that brought the plane down, it's the EMP, the release of the Electromagnetic Pulse

the plane wasn't drawn to the island because of the magentism from under the hatch/island, the plane had to be on approach to the island, not like it was directly overhead, in order for the plane to crash on separate sides of the island

the EMP jacked-up the plane's electronics, the pulse of energy engulfed the plane at the same time, jarring the plane from it's flight path (the first big JOLT the Losties felt on-board Flight 815)

the EMP effect, the loss of control as every electronic device on-board was renedered inoperable, left the plane to drop out of the sky from 30,000 feet, build-up to break-away speed in its rapid descent, which caused the shearing affect, tearing the plane apart as it fell

why the cockpit landed inland, between the tail section on one shore and the fuselage on the opposite shore, is more of a question of illogic than the question of magnetic effect vs electromagnetic pulse effect, I think

Flying High
wow...you thought about that a lot...

but yeah...it sounds like a good theory...im gona back it stick out tongue

rickyduck
atleast some one does.

jk stick out tongue

hey!

Originally posted by SlickRick69
it's not magentism that brought the plane down, it's the EMP, the release of the Electromagnetic Pulse

the plane wasn't drawn to the island because of the magentism from under the hatch/island, the plane had to be on approach to the island, not like it was directly overhead, in order for the plane to crash on separate sides of the island

the EMP jacked-up the plane's electronics, the pulse of energy engulfed the plane at the same time, jarring the plane from it's flight path (the first big JOLT the Losties felt on-board Flight 815)

the EMP effect, the loss of control as every electronic device on-board was renedered inoperable, left the plane to drop out of the sky from 30,000 feet, build-up to break-away speed in its rapid descent, which caused the shearing affect, tearing the plane apart as it fell

why the cockpit landed inland, between the tail section on one shore and the fuselage on the opposite shore, is more of a question of illogic than the question of magnetic effect vs electromagnetic pulse effect, I think

There wasnt an emp charge, if there was Desmond wouldve known about it

Flying High
la la la la la....people are thinking too much smile

Imperial_Samura
And wouldn't an EMP charge have at least some effect on the electronic system in the hatch?

rickyduck
la la la la la....people are thinking too much smile

cry

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
And wouldn't an EMP charge have at least some effect on the electronic system in the hatch?

It would have shorted the computer out, that's for sure.

SlickRick69

Originally posted by Darth Macabre
It would have shorted the computer out, that's for sure.

Unless, of course, the electronics in the hatch were protected in some way, either by, say for example, being buried deep enough underground, or being encased in any sort of dampening material, like aluminum or some other more exotic metals, and/or concrete

wow, if only the folks who designed the hatch and the EMP trigger and all that fancy stuff had considered that, had put the computer inside some sort of sealed facility, encased in metal and concrete, behind some serious blast doors so thick and heavy capable of crushing a man's legs under their weight, or something, and had buried the thing deep in the ground, leaving oh, I dunno, just one or two access points...

yep, if only... Happy Dance rolling on floor laughing Happy Dance

Imperial_Samura
Unless, of course, the electronics in the hatch were protected in some way, either by, say for example, being buried deep enough underground, or being encased in any sort of dampening material, like aluminum or some other more exotic metals, and/or concrete

wow, if only the folks who designed the hatch and the EMP trigger and all that fancy stuff had considered that, had put the computer inside some sort of sealed facility, encased in metal and concrete, behind some serious blast doors so thick and heavy capable of crushing a man's legs under their weight, or something, and had buried the thing deep in the ground, leaving oh, I dunno, just one or two access points...

Yes, it's a good point, that could explain it. But then again the magnet (if indeed that is what it is) is still able to effect metal things, like the key around Jack's neck, despite being underground and all that metal and cement around. And EMPs, the way usually created, aren't focused, they spread - if it was powerful enough, large enough to reach the plane, it would, by rights, be remarkable if it couldn't effect the Hatch.

And something makes ofther, less electronic things crash onto the island - the balloon, Desmonds craft, the French research ship, the ship that had the dynamite, the drug plane. EMPs could account for some of them, but not all.

Still, I agree that something to do with the Hatch and what it's hiding would have played a part, but maybe not all of it. After all, the plane somehow got to the Island to begin with, and as we have seen, nothing is really a coincidence on the show.

Darth Macabre

So dampening metal can be destroyed by throwing it on the ground? Oh, if only the people who designed the hatch thought of the possibility that the computer could be knocked to the ground.

Yup, if only.

rickyduck
Yes, it's a good point, that could explain it. But then again the magnet (if indeed that is what it is) is still able to effect metal things, like the key around Jack's neck, despite being underground and all that metal and cement around. And EMPs, the way usually created, aren't focused, they spread - if it was powerful enough, large enough to reach the plane, it would, by rights, be remarkable if it couldn't effect the Hatch.

And something makes ofther, less electronic things crash onto the island - the balloon, Desmonds craft, the French research ship, the ship that had the dynamite, the drug plane. EMPs could account for some of them, but not all.

Still, I agree that something to do with the Hatch and what it's hiding would have played a part, but maybe not all of it. After all, the plane somehow got to the Island to begin with, and as we have seen, nothing is really a coincidence on the show.

the last bit, about the plane actually getting onto the island, yea, well it obviousy crashed because it got split, but maybe the smoke split it? But it could've been a fairway away from the island when it crashed, because if one part can land one side, the cockpit in the middle and the middle the other side, It wouldve took time to fall, if you get me...

Imperial_Samura
the last bit, about the plane actually getting onto the island, yea, well it obviousy crashed because it got split, but maybe the smoke split it? But it could've been a fairway away from the island when it crashed, because if one part can land one side, the cockpit in the middle and the middle the other side, It wouldve took time to fall, if you get me...

Yes, that's true, and it makes sense.

And maybe the Smoke is part of some security device to stop people finding out about the island. Every craft we know of that has come to the island has ended up getting stuck there, except for the one that did the food drop - and as that was happening the hatch went into lockdown...

Darth Macabre

And maybe the Smoke is part of some security device to stop people finding out about the island. Every craft we know of that has come to the island has ended up getting stuck there, except for the one that did the food drop - and as that was happening the hatch went into lockdown...

And that obviously was a program...So the Island's defenses went down.

rickyduck

It couldve been a vehcile or some machine...

And that obviously was a program...So the Island's defenses went down.

Program? the smoke?

Darth Macabre
It couldve been a vehcile or some machine...

Program? the smoke?

No, the whole lockdown situation was a program...

rickyduck
No, the whole lockdown situation was a program...

ohh..

the lockdown was a safety procedure

Jedi-Kaisa
About the smoke

Three bits of episode 1 shows the black smoke (or something black, square-ish and moves really fast) did something to the crash site, not the actual crash (I looked at the crashing bits, nothin. Or at least I think I saw nothin. confused )

1: The bit where the guy gets sucked into the engine and it explodes? Look to the right of him and you'll see somethin black float around and push him into the engine.

2: When Jack goes to help Claire, after he tells her that "everything will be okay" (yeah, right smile ) the engine thing explodes behind them. Watch that bit carefully and you'll see something black and quick rush from above, hit the engine and move up, causing the engine to burst to flames.

3: I'm not sure about this one, but when Jack sees that the wing is about to crush Hurley and Claire. Somewhere in that timeframe, I think I saw the black smoke looming above.

This shows that the black smoke proably caused the crash, but it definately caused a ruckus at the crash site.

rickyduck
no expression

Shadowfighter
1: If the magnet is so powerful to pull a plane out of a sky, it would've complete crippled all the hatches on the island

2: Planes are made out of aluminium, except maybe some tools and the engines, but the engines were still running when the plane crashed, they would've just torn of if so.

3: The plane wouldn't of split, it would've just gone straight into the hatch, unless the magnet stopped just before it hit the island, but still, it wouldnt of split.

Also, in 'The Pearl' orientation it sais (when edited) 'Once you have finished your three weeks, make your way to the Pabla.....'

This is the pabla ferry bay (were Micheal left from). Another point is the 4 toed Statue, this shows people were on the Island before Dharma and the Others, as there was a 4 toed god in greek mythology... etc.

1 more thing is the anomly message that came up on the portugese' pc... same prompt as the Swan/Pearl... but.. wasn't using an Apple II, various background things show different OS', like Linux, Unix, Mac and Windows, and then the prompt apple II, and I think some MS-Dos, although their computer appears to be windows... so maybe its a mixture of different OS'..

But the initiative had been experimenting with electromagnetics. They developed a non-magnetic metal to make the hatches. Play the LOST experience. It'll help you think more about these kind of things.

rickyduck
Originally posted by Shadowfighter
But the initiative had been experimenting with electromagnetics. They developed a non-magnetic metal to make the hatches. Play the LOST experience. It'll help you think more about these kind of things.

I play it, if you havent noticed I made a thread about it.... yet they made the hatch with a special metal... so what? It will still effect the way the computer works and the computer...

willRules
Originally posted by willRules
I think that the island is a huge testing ground for the DHARMA initiative and that different bunkers like the one they are in are set up over the island.

One bunker was for experiments in electromagnetism (This is the one they all first found and it explain why screwy stuff hapens to metal things in there)

Another bunker deals with animal testing. I reckon this bunker isn't operational anymore . This explains the whole polar bear mystery.

One bunker deals with maths and stuff. This explains the numbers.

One bunker deals with genes and human anotamy etc. This explains where the others came from. They are experiments who escaped. So that bunker isn't working anymore.

There are presumably other bunkers realting to the monster on the island and other mystery.

The electromagnetism from the bunker they found drew the metal in and on the plane to the island and that's why they crashed In my opinion.

It's just my theory anyway smile

Like I say this is just my theory behind the mystery of the island and I could be completely wrong smile And I am starting to doubt that the magnetism made the plane crash after I looked at the thread on the black smoke in episode 1

Outcesticide
It is possible that the magnet brought the plane down. Wind shear occurs at the boundary between winds that differ in speed or direction, or both. So, a slight change in the aerodynamics of the plane could have caused turbulence wind shear. So, just a little tug from the magnet pulling the plane is enough to cause some problems. Yes, commercial planes are made out of aluminum but not everything in the plane is made of that material. The engines perhaps?

JustOwnin
I've read most of the posts in the thread and about the magnet crushing the hatch and stuff, maybe it's made out of silicon compounds? or is it alloy? I just know it's pretty strong stuff even though it's not a metal. huh

Marth18
damn you, now i gotta download ep 1 and see the black smoke

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Marth18
damn you, now i gotta download ep 1 and see the black smoke

No you don't...It's right here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEB_i7Basb4

Marth18
thanks, long time no see btw

Marth18
you know, to be honest that looks added in, i gotta rent the first episode just in case, cause i wanna be sure, unless some of u have season 1 on dvd and can check

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Marth18
thanks, long time no see btw

Yeah, I know, same could be said for you...Haven't seen you in a while...The Lost thread has been kind of dead lately, and it's summer so I'm not home as much...It's nice to be noticed. stick out tongue Originally posted by Marth18
you know, to be honest that looks added in, i gotta rent the first episode just in case, cause i wanna be sure, unless some of u have season 1 on dvd and can check

Nah, it's not added in...Although it does look like it...It's taken straight from the episode.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Jedi-Kaisa
About the smoke

Three bits of episode 1 shows the black smoke (or something black, square-ish and moves really fast) did something to the crash site, not the actual crash (I looked at the crashing bits, nothin. Or at least I think I saw nothin. confused )

1: The bit where the guy gets sucked into the engine and it explodes? Look to the right of him and you'll see somethin black float around and push him into the engine.

2: When Jack goes to help Claire, after he tells her that "everything will be okay" (yeah, right smile ) the engine thing explodes behind them. Watch that bit carefully and you'll see something black and quick rush from above, hit the engine and move up, causing the engine to burst to flames.

3: I'm not sure about this one, but when Jack sees that the wing is about to crush Hurley and Claire. Somewhere in that timeframe, I think I saw the black smoke looming above.

This shows that the black smoke proably caused the crash, but it definately caused a ruckus at the crash site.

So, what are you saying? That when there are explosions, there's black smoke? Wow. That must be a recent phenomenon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.