The Two Witnesses of Revelations

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Brother Prophet
Revelation 11:3-18 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth. 4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth. 5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed. 6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will. 7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. 8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified. 9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. 10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth. 11 And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them. 12 And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them. 13 And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven. 14 The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly. 15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. 16 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God, 17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned. 18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Brother Prophet
The Two Witnesses of Revelation 11. Who are these two prophets? What do they have to say? Why are they called the two witnesses? How will their message be proclaimed? And is there any special significance to the fact that they're headquartered in Jerusalem? God's Church has often wondered about these things, but we ALL need to know the answers to these vital questions, especially since the two witnesses will soon make their debut upon the world stage!

Even as the United Europe is being raised up before our very eyes, just as Herbert W. Armstrong said it would, isn't it reasonable that God is raising up the two witnesses who will testify against it? And even as God's Church is approaching the end of their great commission (Herbert W. Armstrong took the gospel around the world, the Church must warn the world), isn't it only reasonable that the two witnesses should be beginning theirs? (John 3:30). Didn't Isaiah foresee this very event when he prophesied of the "night when no man can work," but assures us of two whom God would simultaneously raise up to impart their light? (Isaiah 60:1-2).

It appears that the full power and glory of Elijah's office isn't to be fulfilled until AFTER God's Church has been removed to "her place" and a double portion of God's Spirit is transferred to our successor - the two witnesses! (Revelation 12:14; 2 Kings 2:9).

God states that He shall station watchmen in Jerusalem. Why? For the purpose of comforting His captive Church and Israelite people. How will they be comforted? By the ASSURANCE that our God will come and save us and avenge us of our enemies (Isaiah 62:6-7; 40:1; 35:3-4)! The specific commission and anointing of the two witnesses is clearly recorded in Isaiah 61:1-2.

Remember your Roots

Malachi 4:5-6 further reveals that they are to PREPARE THE NATION of Israel for the Coming of our King, by a baptism of repentance that will prepare them to receive the Holy Spirit (which is to be poured out at Christ's return). That national preparation is only possible if Israel's heart is turned back to the heart of our fathers (Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob), and then, in turn, our hearts must be turned back to the GOD of our fathers and His TRUE religion.

Presently there's a "generation gap" between the fathers and us because the true religion demands obedience to the Law of God. Abraham recognizes only the obedient as his legal heirs (Genesis 18:19; John 8:39; Galatians 3:29). And since we're a rebellious nation and people (Isaiah 30:9), Abraham refuses to acknowledge us (Isaiah 63:16; Hosea 5:7; 6:7).

If Israel dares to reject this necessary "family reunion" that would direct us to our Heavenly Father, God will be forced to destroy all rebellious life from off the face of the earth. Why? Because Israel is God's national firstborn and the law demands death to stubborn sons (Deuteronomy 21:18-21; Malachi 4:6)! God realizes that if Israel can't be saved, then no nation can. The continued existence of Israel is vital to the survival of ALL nations, because Israel is the national salt as the Church of God is the spiritual salt!

Brother Prophet
Your thoughts?

debbiejo
Another interpretation I've heard are that the two wittiness are the OT and NT which direct one to Christ, being that there was a big earthquake at the time of his supposed Crucifixion....In the OT is the damnation of the Law and Prophets (called fire down), the NT which is also judgment but by Christ.

The 3 days in sack cloth could mean the 3 days that Jesus was on the cross, and the word was dead (symbolic), and again the earthquake and darkness, which is described in the NT at his Crucifixion.

Brother Prophet
Another interpretation I've heard are that the two wittiness are the OT and NT which direct one to Christ, being that there was a big earthquake at the time of his supposed Crucifixion....In the OT is the damnation of the Law and Prophets (called fire down), the NT which is also judgment but by Christ.

The 3 days in sack cloth could mean the 3 days that Jesus was on the cross, and the word was dead (symbolic), and again the earthquake and darkness, which is described in the NT at his Crucifixion.

Interesting. Much of Revelations is metaphorical. I do believe that the two witnesses represent real individuals who will be present during the end times. The biggest debates amongst most biblical scholars are who each of the witnesses represents, and at what point their ministry begins.

debbiejo
I thought it was commonly taught to be Moses (Law) and Eliajah (Prophets)..........

Is "Evangelist" just "Evil's Agent" misspelled??.......Don't know why I said that...... confused

Deicide
I believe one of the prophets is John. im not really sure. and i dont know who the other is tho.....cuz its like ur readin Revelation thru his point of view, like it already happened or something, which is wierd, cuz its supposed to be about things to come. and he's already witnessing it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Brother Prophet
Your thoughts?

These teachings are evil. They will not come to pass, and many will throw their lives away because of these evil teachings.

Deicide
what is evil about them??

Regret
Originally posted by Deicide
I believe one of the prophets is John. im not really sure. and i dont know who the other is tho.....cuz its like ur readin Revelation thru his point of view, like it already happened or something, which is wierd, cuz its supposed to be about things to come. and he's already witnessing it.

John is speaking in the third person here. Throughout Revelations John uses first person when discussing himself. It would not follow his pattern to switch to third person for a discussion as to what he was doing.

The OT and NT is an interesting idea, will they die then? Or have they died? Because these two are supposed to die and rise up on the third day. I would assume that this couldn't be a correct interpretation because the NT and OT probably wouldn't die for 3 days and then rise up. Unless of course they stopped being discussed and then became central to the conversation. But then the armies and the world is supposed to be able to see these 2 rise up and be in a state of wonder.

I am Mormon, and we believe that it will be 2 literal prophets, as to who they are we have no clue. But we believe in prophets existing today, and so it is possible for us. Some in our religion believe they will be of our faith. There was the prophet and the donkey from the Bible though, he was at the same time as Moses, and the Israelites were unaware of him. This would mean that it would be entirely possible that there are existing prophets somewhere that we are unaware of. But that is our belief, and, if I am not mistaken it is not yours.

Regret
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
These teachings are evil. They will not come to pass, and many will throw their lives away because of these evil teachings.

This post is irrelevant to the thread, it does not address the purpose of the thread, but instead attacks the religions that accept the prophecy. Many people feel that they are free to make comments like this, I wish that the Moderators would jump on comments of this nature, as they do with other types of comments that get off topic.

The question is what your interpretation of the prophecy is, not whether you believe in it or not. And he wants an intelligent response, not a simple I interpret them to be evil. What is your educated interpretation of the prophecy, devoid of your belief that they are false? If you do not have one, please don't harass those of us interested in the thread.

Deicide
i hope noone thaught i was tryin to harrass them, i did in fact try to give and intelligent response. i did think that it was John and one other person, tho u explained that to me already.

Regret
Originally posted by Deicide
i hope noone thaught i was tryin to harrass them, i did in fact try to give and intelligent response. i did think that it was John and one other person, tho u explained that to me already.

No, I was only responding to the individual post

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Regret
This post is irrelevant to the thread, it does not address the purpose of the thread, but instead attacks the religions that accept the prophecy. Many people feel that they are free to make comments like this, I wish that the Moderators would jump on comments of this nature, as they do with other types of comments that get off topic.

The question is what your interpretation of the prophecy is, not whether you believe in it or not. And he wants an intelligent response, not a simple I interpret them to be evil. What is your educated interpretation of the prophecy, devoid of your belief that they are false? If you do not have one, please don't harass those of us interested in the thread.

I am sorry, but I have strong emotions on this topic.

My interpretation is that Revelations is a code book for anti Roman propaganda. The prophecy is not prophecy at all.

I call it like I see it. This kind of belief has caused many people to forsake their lives. I personally have felt the effect of what being taught that there is no future can do to a person.

If someone where to promote religious beliefs that you think are evil, you have every right to proclaim what is evil. I did not attack any person, I did attack this belief because of the great harm that it has caused in my early years.

To understand what the Two Witnesses are referring to, you would have to know more about the anti Roman propaganda of the first century.

Regret
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I am sorry, but I have strong emotions on this topic.

My interpretation is that Revelations is a code book for anti Roman propaganda. The prophecy is not prophecy at all.

I call it like I see it. This kind of belief has caused many people to forsake their lives. I personally have felt the effect of what being taught that there is no future can do to a person.

If someone where to promote religious beliefs that you think are evil, you have every right to proclaim what is evil. I did not attack any person, I did attack this belief because of the great harm that it has caused in my early years.

To understand what the Two Witnesses are referring to, you would have to know more about the anti Roman propaganda of the first century.

So then, given your stance, do you know enough about the anti Roman propaganda of the first century to answer the question then? It makes sense, your view on this as anti-roman propaganda, but then your response should include the studying that you did that led you to this, including an explanation of how this set of verses is anti-roman propaganda.

I have strong emotions on a number of topics that are placed in threads, but I do not respond if my response is off the topic of the thread.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Regret
So then, given your stance, do you know enough about the anti Roman propaganda of the first century to answer the question then? It makes sense, your view on this as anti-roman propaganda, but then your response should include the studying that you did that led you to this, including an explanation of how this set of verses is anti-roman propaganda.

I have strong emotions on a number of topics that are placed in threads, but I do not respond if my response is off the topic of the thread.

I only know a small amount. The imagery is consistent with other documents of the time that were anti Roman propaganda, but it was a long time ago when I studied this, and I would have to do some research on the subject. Also, when the bible was put together, there was a debate on the inclusion of Revelations, and it was almost left out.

If I state a belief and then ask for people to comment, the legitimacy of the belief is fair game.

IceDragon
You guys should really read the Left Behind series, It gives a very good Idea of what the end times after the tribulation and before jesus comes in the glorious appearing could be like.

Alliance
Yeah, except its conservative religous propganda meant to undermine the UN.

Final Warrior
Originally posted by Alliance
Yeah, except its conservative religous propganda meant to undermine the UN.

Could be could be not. Who knows what the future holds. All that anyone can say is that with each day that passes, we're definitely approaching the end times.

Alliance
That assumes that time will end.

A more correct and defendable statement would be:

"Who knows what the future holds. All that anyone can say is that with each day that passes, we're definitely getting farther from the beginning of time, and things are bound to change."

Final Warrior
Originally posted by Alliance
That assumes that time will end.

A more correct and defendable statement would be:

"Who knows what the future holds. All that anyone can say is that with each day that passes, we're definitely getting farther from the beginning of time, and things are bound to change."

That's assuming of course, that time has a beginning and an ending...

Alliance
correct, but its easier to justify a beginning to time, than an end.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.