Comicbooks for children? Nah!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sam Z
Unfortunately a lot of people still beleave that comicbooks are made for children. So the point of this thread is to prove them wrong. Post any scans that prove it.

I'll start.

Spideys Sister
jawdrop Where the hell did you find that? I'm scared right now....

Sam Z
Carnage it's a wonderfull lifecool

A.J
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/7080/68ej.th.jpg

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/7049/71iw.th.jpg

inamilist
I remember reading years ago about a court case involving the sale of adult comics to an undercover cop (who was an adult by the way)

the store owner took all necessary precautions when selling adult material and didnt even let kids close to it, though when he went to court he was found guilty since the judge determined that the medium of a comic book was designed for children exclusively.

Basically, the judge said that adult comics were made for children....

A.J
Originally posted by inamilist
I remember reading years ago about a court case involving the sale of adult comics to an undercover cop (who was an adult by the way)

the store owner took all necessary precautions when selling adult material and didnt even let kids close to it, though when he went to court he was found guilty since the judge determined that the medium of a comic book was designed for children exclusively.

Basically, the judge said that adult comics were made for children.... That is utter bullshit

DigiMark007
Posting a bunch of gore or God swearing doesn't prove that comics are for adults. It just proves that there's gore and swearing in comics, like many other mediums, many of which are used by children.

Read something by Alan Moore. Or, better yet, start reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. Then tell me comics are for kids. No kid (or even some adults) would understand everything that's being conveyed in them. Hell, I'm trained to read into things like this (Ill be teaching English in about a year) and I still feel like there's a bunch of stuff I'm missing.

That's why comics are for adults as well. Because you can acheive a depth of meaning greater than many other mediums because comics aren't limited in time like films and aren't limited to simply the written word like novels.

A.J
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Posting a bunch of gore or God swearing doesn't prove that comics are for adults. It just proves that there's gore and swearing in comics, like many other mediums, many of which are used by children.

Read something by Alan Moore. Or, better yet, start reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. Then tell me comics are for kids. No kid (or even some adults) would understand everything that's being conveyed in them. Hell, I'm trained to read into things like this (Ill be teaching English in about a year) and I still feel like there's a bunch of stuff I'm missing.

That's why comics are for adults as well. Because you can acheive a depth of meaning greater than many other mediums because comics aren't limited in time like films and aren't limited to simply the written word like novels. embarrasment

inamilist

That's why comics are for adults as well. Because you can acheive a depth of meaning greater than many other mediums because comics aren't limited in time like films and aren't limited to simply the written word like novels.

I'm sure you've seen the quote by stan lee, I think someone had it as their sig for a while.

Basically he says that he was concerned that some day he was going to write the great american novel, and didnt want to have his name tied to children's comics. lol

i agree with you 100%, the potential for comics as a medium of expression is amazing, to me there is a huge relationship between it and photography, the idea of capturing a moment in time that everyone can understand. It can be very powerful.

DigiMark007
I'm sure you've seen the quote by stan lee, I think someone had it as their sig for a while.

Basically he says that he was concerned that some day he was going to write the great american novel, and didnt want to have his name tied to children's comics. lol

i agree with you 100%, the potential for comics as a medium of expression is amazing, to me there is a huge relationship between it and photography, the idea of capturing a moment in time that everyone can understand. It can be very powerful.

That was at the beginning of his career....but yeah, it's a famous quote. But he changed his stance not too far into his comic career. I remember reading something he wrote in response to a letter in an early ASM that addressed this very topic, and talked about how he thought comics were as viable an art form as anything else.

But yeah, promoting that message is the best way to get respect for comics, and to help others realize the potential comics have.

TheKahn

Yea, I had that in my sig a while back. That is the reason he used the name Stan "Lee" instead of his real name Stan "Lieber".

Sea King
if my scanner was working right then i would post both of my

What if Scarlit Spider killed Spiderman
&
What if Spiderman Became a Murderer

HellMaster93
Meh... the real ADULT stuf is indeed people like Frank Miller, or, most of all, Alan Moore...

Crease

Perfectly stated. It's ironic...most people who believe comics are for kids have a favorite book, TV show, etc, but wouldn't follow a comic based on it. I work with a guy who tells me I should get into LOTR and Harry Potter. He swears by the stuff. However, when I recently asked him whether or not he'd follow them in comic form he looked at me as if I had 3 heads.

grey fox

He's right their , I recently read some issues of 'The dreaming' . Half of the stuff in it is confusing (Mostly because I haven't read back issues)but their are very strong plot points in it such as how a dream demon (who tries to convince himself that he's wrong ) Isn't a predator. For it's true purpose was to so such fear and terror in dreams that death would be as far from it as life is from death.

HellMaster93
Alan moore may be adult but sometimes I find him too... sick. Was it Miracleman with a kid getting anally raped and stuff?

Scarecrow756
Arkham Asylum is a graphic novel that proves that Batman is not a light character and most importantly that comics are not for children.

By Crom!
Originally posted by Super Guy
Alan moore may be adult but sometimes I find him too... sick. Was it Miracleman with a kid getting anally raped and stuff?

Yes it was Jonny Bates, the scene was a homage to the cult brit borstal flick "Scum" the T.V. version of which was pulled BBC.

smile

quickshot
Frank Miller and Alan Moore define adult but in stuff like spiderman theres even dark bits

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e3/Spider-Man_Death-of-Gwen-Stacy.jpg/397px-Spider-Man_Death-of-Gwen-Stacy.jpg

Look around Gwens neck and then you'll find why its subtly dark

And this scan kids would just not get

http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0025et9.jpg

Magee
SNAP! haha, you got a scan of the page after that one?

StarsNeverFall7
Tell an adult with children to pick up almost any punisher title, tell me that's for kids. And that's just becuase of their graphic nature, not even getting into adult story lines.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.