Aunt May gets thrown off the building by OCK.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Punkyhermy
So I have this physics project where I have to find clips where the laws of physics are ignored or exaggerated. I remembered the scene on top of the building in Spiderman 2 where Ock throws Aunt May off the building and then Spiderman saves her with his web. Does my memory serve me right? And is this a plausable clip to present?

cain marko
know cos spider web is like ten times stronger than steel of the same thickess. a good one would be the scene in resident evil apocalypse where alice is running down the side of that huge building. or in x men when magneto controls the copper in the statue of liberty

Gregory
Or in Speed, when the bus jumps the gap...

cain marko
starwars or any sort of space film when you can here things in space. (apart from 2001 space oddsey kubrik ruled!!!!!)

Punkyhermy
Originally posted by cain marko
know cos spider web is like ten times stronger than steel of the same thickess. a good one would be the scene in resident evil apocalypse where alice is running down the side of that huge building. or in x men when magneto controls the copper in the statue of liberty

Yeah and the impact of the fall would kill her.She's an old frail woman.

Doc Ock
The Spider-Man movies defy the laws of physics ALOT.

You picked well for your project there wink

Silverstein
OH like how in SP1, mj fell off the balcony, and spidey, hopped down, and caught up to her, and shot his web into the sky...

Punkyhermy
Originally posted by Doc Ock
The Spider-Man movies defy the laws of physics ALOT.

You picked well for your project there wink
smile
Awesome.

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by Silverstein
OH like how in SP1, mj fell off the balcony, and spidey, hopped down, and caught up to her, and shot his web into the sky... Wasn't that the parade scene?

Dan-El
Well, Spidey's web does shoot out pretty fast. How much PSI do the actual web-shooters in the comics (sadly, from two years ago) get? I know that there's a site out there that has it...

Dan-El
"The 300 p.s.i. pressure in each cartridge is sufficient to force a stream of the complex web pattern an estimated 60 feet (significantly farther if shot in a ballistic parabolic arc)."

From www.Alaph.com/spiderman

Drache53
My 'Ultimate Guide to Spider-Man' book (a must for any Spider-Fan) says that the webshooters can propel a strand of webbing up to 50 yards (that's 150 feet for all you math whizzes out there). As for the PSI, I really don't know.

sauro123456
Go with Star Wars, they have all kind of stuff in the movies that could't atually be real. first of all as someone said there would be no sound in space. (austraunats can communicate in space only because there is air in their helmets.). One of the other things would be smoke in space, like when ships explode in episode III. There can be no smoke in space. And also when the Grevious flagship started to accelerate towards the planet after being damaged, that wouldn't happen in real life. ( in real life it would just stay in space.) and thats all only from the space battle in the beginning of episode III.

HellMaster93
Star Wars is sci-fi...

sauro123456
Originally posted by HellMaster93
Star Wars is sci-fi...

And Spider-Man is not...right?

DPFW16
Originally posted by Punkyhermy
So I have this physics project where I have to find clips where the laws of physics are ignored or exaggerated. I remembered the scene on top of the building in Spiderman 2 where Ock throws Aunt May off the building and then Spiderman saves her with his web. Does my memory serve me right? And is this a plausable clip to present?

What springs to mind in Spider-man 2 is the fight scene on the train. In the scene, Spider-man goes flying forward (toward the front of the train)and barely manages to squeeze through the metal slits in the bridge. He then comes out on the other end and goes flying straight into Doc Ock.
This totally defies the laws of Physics because an object being thrown from a moving vehicle would go as fast as the speed of the moving object PLUS the speed of the throw.
SO, in this case, Spider-man would land on the train waaaaaaaay up in front of the train (or he might have overshot the train completely). This is because he is already moving as fast as the train (he is on it) and Doc Ock flings him with additional speed... so his "true" speed is the speed of the train plus the speed he is thrown.
Even accounting for air friction, I doubt he'd land on top of Ock (he should land much further in front of Ock).
I hope I'm explaining this well enough. You definitely want to check me, but I'm pretty confident about it.
Good luck!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.